PDA

View Full Version : Bob Castellini "gets it"

Matt700wlw
06-08-2006, 10:19 PM
You couldn't find Carl Lindner with police dogs.

Here's a little report from Lance's Homer outing tonight...

Reds owner Bob Castellini heard about our group and stopped by before the game to say hello.
He invited me to sit down and talk in the stands. We talked for about 15-minutes. He asked about the group, how we were treated by the Reds, what the crowd was like at Skyline, how things were going at the station, etc. He thanked me for putting the group together and for the fans support of the team. He got up and waved to fans and shook some hands. A guy that "gets it".

So it's not on-field related, but it is PR related, something the Reds failed at miserably for years.

:castellini: is da man.

Reds4Life
06-08-2006, 11:20 PM
It's nice to have an owner who is also a fan, it really does make all the difference in the world.

GullyFoyle
06-08-2006, 11:26 PM
It is a strange position to be in when everything is looking up for the Reds...

I known it can only be temporary, but I sure am going to enjoy it while I can!

And I have to thank Castellini!

harangatang
06-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Moreno who is the owner of the Angels does the same thing as he mingles with the fans and asks questions about the quality of their experience. They really have embraced him out there from what I've seen for that reason and the more important reason of putting together a winning team. Castellini = Moreno except Moreno is willing to spend $100 million where Castellini will do the same thing for $80 - 90 million.

jmcclain19
06-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Moreno who is the owner of the Angels does the same thing as he mingles with the fans and asks questions about the quality of their experience. They really have embraced him out there from what I've seen for that reason and the more important reason of putting together a winning team. Castellini = Moreno except Moreno is willing to spend $100 million where Castellini will do the same thing for $80 - 90 million.

Moreno also lowered ticket and beer prices while remaking the team, both contributed heavily to why the Angels are now regularly one of the top attended teams in baseball.

pedro
06-09-2006, 02:37 AM
I'm happy with RC so far. If he turns out to be as good as Moreno, even better.

KronoRed
06-09-2006, 02:38 AM
Just as long as he doesn't rename us the Ohio Reds of Cincinnati

Ron Madden
06-09-2006, 04:54 AM
Of all the local sportstalk guys, Lance is my favorite because he is a Reds Fan.

I often disagree with Lance but then again I often disagree with some fans that post here. ;) sportstalk radio and fan message boards provide a venue for fans to vent frustrations and share ideas.

I hope and pray that most of the nonsense heard from sportstalk or posted on message boards is taken for what it is and with a grain of salt.

I'm sure Bob Castellini has dreams of returning this franchise to glory.
I just hope he holds on to that dream and stays the course.

Strikes Out Looking
06-09-2006, 08:05 AM
Castellini is a Reds fan first. He just happened to have the money available to buy the team. Linder was a business man first. That makes all the difference.

smith288
06-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Lindner was a squirlly looking man. Never really a commanding presense like Cast... Im betting something as simple as that has earned him some respect among our players too.

max venable
06-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Marge mingled with the fans. :D

Unassisted
06-09-2006, 12:12 PM
I wonder if Castellini was doing some informal market research with his appearance there. It sounds like the popular perception on the board is that the Reds aren't doing enough to market to the average local fan. Although it's not true for RedsZoners, to draw the average fan, it probably will take a more elaborate approach than "Build a winning team and they will come."

Moosie52
06-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Just the other day FSN Ohio's cameras caught Carl Lindner at a game. I think he is a Reds fan.

harangatang
06-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Marge mingled with the fans. :DI remember during games at Riverfront when she would be sitting in the blue seats and signing autographs for kids. It was quite kind of her.

OldRightHander
06-09-2006, 09:44 PM
I remember during games at Riverfront when she would be sitting in the blue seats and signing autographs for kids. It was quite kind of her.

I sat close to her once before they had the smoking ban in the seating areas. That was quite an experience.

wheels
06-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Me and my friend sat right next to Marge for something like two innings.

I Reggie Sanders was going for the cycle that day, and I asked her if she thought he could do it.

Her Reply?

"Reggie who?"

Priceless. I still have her autograph on my hat, and she signed my friend's pack of Camels.

I think that was 1993.

Caveat Emperor
06-10-2006, 03:42 AM
Bob Castellini "gets it" -- and so should anyone who was at last night's game.

Yeah, the Reds lost -- but there was an excitement and electricity at the ballpark that I haven't seen in LONNNNG time. It's amazing how different the stadium feels when the crowd believes in the team and is excited to see a win, as opposed to just being excited because somethign cool was given away at the door.

This city is begging to get behind a winner. If Castellini can give Cincinnati something to get behind for the rest of the season, GABP is going to be a special place.

It was worth the drive from Toledo tonight to be part of that, even if it was just for one night.

Chip R
06-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Just the other day FSN Ohio's cameras caught Carl Lindner at a game. I think he is a Reds fan.

Yeah, I think he is too. He would go to games and sit in the back portion of the Diamond seats to the 1st base side in the back when he owned the team. He is just a different kind of fan and person than Bob is.

WVRedsFan
06-12-2006, 01:38 AM
Me and my friend sat right next to Marge for something like two innings.

I Reggie Sanders was going for the cycle that day, and I asked her if she thought he could do it.

Her Reply?

"Reggie who?"

Priceless. I still have her autograph on my hat, and she signed my friend's pack of Camels.

I think that was 1993.

I was there, too. Marge was more than friendly--at least I thought she was. Kids loved her and she graciously signed my friend's Giants hat (the bill--hared to sign black). He was impressed that an owner was in the beer line. Can't say whether she was buying beer or not. She seemed confused, but she was a regular girl--a fan without a clue. She asked us where our seats were and we pointed up (they were box seats, but about the third level) and she asked us how we got down to field level.

TeamCasey
06-12-2006, 07:58 AM
I sat near Marge for awhile. So many folks and kids came down for autographs, I moved. It was too distracting. She was really nice to them though.

Roy Tucker
06-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Our season tickets at Riverfront were across the aisle from Marge (She was in row 1, we were in row 4). The ushers made the line for her form up at the top of the aisle and would control who came down to talk to her. If anyone tried to short-cut the line, there were other ushers that would point them to the line. After you got used to it, it wasn't bad.

IIRC, she didn't come down to her seats till 5th-6th inning. And she stopped sitting down there after she broke her hip.

My 2 girls went over to talk to her during one game (Marge saw them playing dolls and had invited them over). They stayed for a couple innings and moved into 2 open seats by Marge. My girls had no idea who she was. When I asked what they talked about for so long, they just said "stuff". They got their dolls signed.

The first time my son saw her close up, he said "Dad, she sure is ugly".

When the Reds won the Division Series against the Dodger in '95, the Dodger owner Peter O'Malley came down the aisle and congratulated Marge. I'm not entirely sure Marge knew who he was.

KronoRed
06-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I think he is too. He would go to games and sit in the back portion of the Diamond seats to the 1st base side in the back when he owned the team. He is just a different kind of fan and person than Bob is.
He's the "Happy to have a baseball team" kind, where Bob seems like the "I can go watch bad baseball anywhere, I want a winner" type.

max venable
06-12-2006, 10:17 PM
When the Reds won the Division Series against the Dodger in '95, the Dodger owner Peter O'Malley came down the aisle and congratulated Marge. I'm not entirely sure Marge knew who he was.
I was there! SWEEP! Mark Lewis, grand slam...it was schweeeet! And then the Braves came to town...