PDA

View Full Version : The NY newspapers just won't let it go...

max venable
06-09-2006, 10:10 AM
This from today's NY Post:

The Bombers recently called Tampa Bay about Damon Hollins, though. Other possible solutions are Washington's Alfonso Soriano, San Francisco's Pedro Feliz, Pittsburgh's Craig Wilson, Kansas City's Matt Stairs and Milwaukee's Carlos Lee. Ken Griffey Jr. or Adam Dunn might also be available if first-place Cincinnati falls out of contention.

Adam Dunn might be available :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

These guys must truly believe that all teams like the Reds are just farm clubs for teams like the Yanks. :rolleyes:

LINK TO STORY (http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/67267.htm)

max venable
06-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Want more? This is from Bob Klapisch's column today:

(Melky) Cabrera is tightening his grip on a permanent place in the Yankees' universe, making it more and more difficult for general manager Brian Cashman to justify a trade for Bobby Abreu or Ken Griffey Jr.

Again, all these guys just assume that Griffey could be a Yankee at the drop of a hat.

LINK TO STORY (http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMTMmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY5NDUxMzEmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk2)

princeton
06-09-2006, 10:36 AM
all these guys just assume that Griffey could be a Yankee at the drop of a hat.

how much money's in that hat?

37red
06-09-2006, 10:45 AM
The Yankees have worked this way for a long time. Indeed the Reds have looked like the best major league farm club in baseball, AAAA. The Reds are going too well right now to dump players, but if they start to tank it wouldn't surprise me if they trade players for money. Also, if the fans don't show up in masses that will be a strong factor in cutting their losses.

max venable
06-09-2006, 11:20 AM
The Yankees have worked this way for a long time. Indeed the Reds have looked like the best major league farm club in baseball, AAAA. The Reds are going too well right now to dump players, but if they start to tank it wouldn't surprise me if they trade players for money. Also, if the fans don't show up in masses that will be a strong factor in cutting their losses.
I hear ya....but my point is: what makes the Yankees assume that Junior or Dunn is simply theirs if they want them? What in the world could they offer us in return?

IslandRed
06-09-2006, 11:27 AM
I hear ya....but my point is: what makes the Yankees assume that Junior or Dunn is simply theirs if they want them?

To be fair, you're inferring something the articles don't say. To say that a guy might be available doesn't imply that the deal is as good as done. And even if that's what the writer thinks, he's a writer, not the Yankees front office.

Turning back on Yankees dislike mode...

vaticanplum
06-09-2006, 11:31 AM
I hear ya....but my point is: what makes the Yankees assume that Junior or Dunn is simply theirs if they want them? What in the world could they offer us in return?

The Yankees have not assumed anything; it is the sportswriters who need to sell papers. I will say again for the millionth time that they have strongly indicated that they have no desire to trade for big-name players at this time. To address your question "What in the world could they offer us in return?", the very obvious answer is Chien-Ming Wang, who could be a very strong pitcher for the Reds. But the Yankees refuse to let him go.

If you want more fodder for Yankees hatred, continue to read these papers. If you want to know what's actually going on with the team and their intentions, go to the source: their press conferences, their statements, and Yankees message boards who pay close attention to such things. I'm happy to direct you if you like.

max venable
06-09-2006, 11:31 AM
To be fair, you're inferring something the articles don't say. To say that a guy might be available doesn't imply that the deal is as good as done. And even if that's what the writer thinks, he's a writer, not the Yankees front office.

Turning back on Yankees dislike mode...
Ok...I maybe I shouldn't say "Yankees." What I mean when I say "Yankees" refers more to "Yankee nation" than the team itself. It's the media, the fans, etc., who always seem to look down their noses at everyone else.

RANDY IN INDY
06-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Who cares about the Yankees?;)

Roy Tucker
06-09-2006, 11:41 AM
The Yankees have not assumed anything; it is the sportswriters who need to sell papers. I will say again for the millionth time that they have strongly indicated that they have no desire to trade for big-name players at this time. To address your question "What in the world could they offer us in return?", the very obvious answer is Chien-Ming Wang, who could be a very strong pitcher for the Reds. But the Yankees refuse to let him go.

If you want more fodder for Yankees hatred, continue to read these papers. If you want to know what's actually going on with the team and their intentions, go to the source: their press conferences, their statements, and Yankees message boards who pay close attention to such things. I'm happy to direct you if you like.
Bah, Yankee-lover.

Quit trying to confuse me with facts. I like my little make-believe world of fact-free opinion. Rainbows and unicorns abound.

vaticanplum
06-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Ok...I maybe I shouldn't say "Yankees." What I mean when I say "Yankees" refers more to "Yankee nation" than the team itself. It's the media, the fans, etc., who always seem to look down their noses at everyone else.

With all due respect, Max, it is in large part people like you who get these papers sold. The Yankees are a big organization and a contending team in a huge market; thus, they get a lot of attention. It has been this way almost throughout their entire existence. Those of us who love them know where to get our information and we have a pretty good sense at this point about what rumors to ignore. So I can only infer that people who eat this stuff up constantly are people who love to hate them. Most of this stuff never pans out. If it irritates you, you don't have to pay attention.

The Yankees, like every other team in baseball, have never made a one-sided deal. If a trade has happened, it's because whatever the Yankees were offering was appealing enough to another team at that point in its history, whether it's cash or young players or whatnot. If a free agent has been signed, it is because the player wanted to sign with them for any number of his own reasons. Money can talk til it's blue in the face, but deals are only made if someone listens to it. Would it be arrogant for the Yankees to assume they can acquire any player they want? Yes. But the minute that player is acquired, somone else has agreed to it, which makes it a business deal on both sides, and the brightness of the arrogance so loved by Yankee haters rather loses its lustre.

Puffy
06-09-2006, 11:48 AM
As a native New Yorker and a HUGE NY Giant fan I can tell you that reading the NY papers its all about speculation and controversy. Thats what the Post wants and thats what the Daily News wants.

In short, so what if thats what they are writing.

princeton
06-09-2006, 11:53 AM
yep, it's not like the Yankees ever flex their financial muscle to grab a player with a big contract from a small market in return for a loser prospect. It's just not like that at all. Not with Bud Selig in charge, it's just not.

max venable
06-09-2006, 11:54 AM
With all due respect, Max, it is in large part people like you who get these papers sold. The Yankees are a big organization and a contending team in a huge market; thus, they get a lot of attention. It has been this way almost throughout their entire existence. Those of us who love them know where to get our information and we have a pretty good sense at this point about what rumors to ignore. So I can only infer that people who eat this stuff up constantly are people who love to hate them. Most of this stuff never pans out. If it irritates you, you don't have to pay attention.

The Yankees, like every other team in baseball, have never made a one-sided deal. If a trade has happened, it's because whatever the Yankees were offering was appealing enough to another team at that point in its history, whether it's cash or young players or whatnot. If a free agent has been signed, it is because the player wanted to sign with them for any number of his own reasons. Money can talk til it's blue in the face, but deals are only made if someone listens to it. Would it be arrogant for the Yankees to assume they can acquire any player they want? Yes. But the minute that player is acquired, somone else has agreed to it, which makes it a business deal on both sides, and the brightness of the arrogance so loved by Yankee haters rather loses its lustre.
You're missing my point.

vaticanplum
06-09-2006, 11:55 AM
You're missing my point.

Well, I guess so.

Roy Tucker
06-09-2006, 11:56 AM
The Yankees, like every other team in baseball, have never made a one-sided deal.
Dan Topping, Del Webb, and Arnold Johnson say hi :wave:

max venable
06-09-2006, 11:58 AM
I still, for the life of me, cannot fathom how anyone can be a "die-hard" fan of more than one MLB team. Weird.

westofyou
06-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Letting it go is a pretty open phrase that could be applied all over this thread eh?

The Yankees grab of Joe Dugan in August many summers ago helped create the need for the trading deadline and here we are almost 90 years later....

vaticanplum
06-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Dan Topping, Del Webb, and Arnold Johnson say hi :wave:

Ha...what I mean by that is not that they haven't made deals that worked heavily in their favor (which is really just a testament to good business sense), but that they have never made a deal to which someone didn't agree.

Look, if we want to talk about the Yankees' dealings (and I admit I brought it up), we can do that too; I don't agree with a lot of them and I think over the past few years they have put themselves well on the path to destroying their own team. But my original point is not even related to the Yankees' dealings; it is about the press and people's reactions to it -- press that has NOTHING TO DO with what the Yankees' actual plans are right now.

It seem like every single day on this board there are a bunch of new threads dealing with media attention, largely focusing on:

a) the media bias towards bigger markets, in particular New York and Boston; and
b) the lack of media respect for the Reds.

Do I think both of these things are true? Yes. Do either of these things bother me? Frankly, I couldn't care less if someone held a gun to my head. The irony of people taking so much time to focus on this when it's something that you almost have to go out of your way to notice in the first place is alarming to me. I don't have cable. I don't read espn.com apart from the uniform page (which I love). My friends often send e-mails linking to articles about rumors involving my two teams. I read them, I'm interested, I consider them, and then I discard them until I have reason to believe them. They're not going to bother me. I have way too much to get agitated over in my real life to worry about that crap.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to operate in this way; I know a lot of people would die without cable and I totally respect that. But what is it that really interests people, the game as it's played or the hoopla surrounding it? If you love the hoopla (fully understandable), then there are a million outlets just made for you, ESPN being the top one that comes to mind. Have at it. If it bothers you enough to complain about it every day, it's very easy to get back to the game. Who cares if the media says arrogant things about the Yankees? Who cares if other people haven't noticed how good the Reds are yet? Does that affect your enjoyment of watching your own team play a great game? If the Yankees fall apart, if the Reds win the World Series, people will come around to your point of view in time. Until then, I just don't understand wasting so much time and energy worrying about stuff that is, to me anyway, unrelated to the game.

vaticanplum
06-09-2006, 12:10 PM
I still, for the life of me, cannot fathom how anyone can be a "die-hard" fan of more than one MLB team. Weird.

Max, this is a fallacy and not related to the argument. I have many reasons, some of which I have tried to explain before. The rest involve a long personal history which I guarantee you're not interested in :)

Reds1
06-09-2006, 12:14 PM
2nd best ERA in the NL. We aren't falling out of contention. Especially considering Castillini is going to add some more talent. Does drive you crazy though.

CougarQuest
06-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Quit trying to confuse me with facts. I like my little make-believe world of fact-free opinion. Rainbows and unicorns abound.

I reject your reality and substitute my own
:laugh:

max venable
06-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Max, this is a fallacy and not related to the argument. I have many reasons, some of which I have tried to explain before. The rest involve a long personal history which I guarantee you're not interested in :)
Yeah, but I still like you, plum :D

Roy Tucker
06-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Ha...what I mean by that is not that they haven't made deals that worked heavily in their favor (which is really just a testament to good business sense), but that they have never made a deal to which someone didn't agree.

Look, if we want to talk about the Yankees' dealings (and I admit I brought it up), we can do that too; I don't agree with a lot of them and I think over the past few years they have put themselves well on the path to destroying their own team. But my original point is not even related to the Yankees' dealings; it is about the press and people's reactions to it -- press that has NOTHING TO DO with what the Yankees' actual plans are right now.

It seem like every single day on this board there are a bunch of new threads dealing with media attention, largely focusing on:

a) the media bias towards bigger markets, in particular New York and Boston; and
b) the lack of media respect for the Reds.

Do I think both of these things are true? Yes. Do either of these things bother me? Frankly, I couldn't care less if someone held a gun to my head. The irony of people taking so much time to focus on this when it's something that you almost have to go out of your way to notice in the first place is alarming to me. I don't have cable. I don't read espn.com apart from the uniform page (which I love). My friends often send e-mails linking to articles about rumors involving my two teams. I read them, I'm interested, I consider them, and then I discard them until I have reason to believe them. They're not going to bother me. I have way too much to get agitated over in my real life to worry about that crap.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to operate in this way; I know a lot of people would die without cable and I totally respect that. But what is it that really interests people, the game as it's played or the hoopla surrounding it? If you love the hoopla (fully understandable), then there are a million outlets just made for you, ESPN being the top one that comes to mind. Have at it. If it bothers you enough to complain about it every day, it's very easy to get back to the game. Who cares if the media says arrogant things about the Yankees? Who cares if other people haven't noticed how good the Reds are yet? Does that affect your enjoyment of watching your own team play a great game? If the Yankees fall apart, if the Reds win the World Series, people will come around to your point of view in time. Until then, I just don't understand wasting so much time and energy worrying about stuff that is, to me anyway, unrelated to the game.
You're cool VP, I just like poking you with a sharp stick to see you rear up on your hind legs. It's not often we get Yankee-defenders around these here parts. :beerme:

I understand your point and believe me, I don't lose sleep over what the NY press says.

Peace out g-unit (my daughter tells me to say that).

vaticanplum
06-09-2006, 02:35 PM
You're cool VP, I just like poking you with a sharp stick to see you rear up on your hind legs. It's not often we get Yankee-defenders around these here parts. :beerme:

I understand your point and believe me, I don't lose sleep over what the NY press says.

Peace out g-unit (my daughter tells me to say that).

I like all you guys too. The fact is that I know firsthand how many idiot Yankee fans there are in the world so I have a sick sense of duty to defend the team at every opportunity in a semi-logical way in hopes of converting people. Number of years of doing this: many. Number of people converted: 0.

Your daughter is x-core. Or...something like that.

KronoRed
06-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Hey..at least it said IF and not when, that's progress

Jpup
06-09-2006, 03:04 PM

you watch too much TV. :help:

max venable
06-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Now the Chicago papers seem to think the Sox could pry Griffey away from the Reds:

The name that remains most intriguing is Ken Griffey Jr., who approved a deal to the Sox last summer and would be here if Cincinnati management didn't get cold feet. The Reds think they have staying power in the National League Central after the oblique injury that will sideline Albert Pujols indefinitely. But after losing three of four to the Cubs over the weekend, the Reds still are capable of fading away in a hurry, which might make Griffey expendable at the trade deadline. The Sox, so you know, play in Cincinnati next weekend, giving Williams plenty of time to lay new groundwork.

Money no longer is an object for Sox boss Jerry Reinsdorf, who sees the fans packing his ballpark and has pledged to keep reinvesting profits into the product. Griffey may be vulnerable to injury and would command more than $35 million over the next 2-1/2 seasons, but he remains one of the game's most dangerous hitters and would give the Sox a murderers' row lineup with Thome, Konerko, Jermaine Dye and Joe Crede.

Sure, if you are the fretting sort, there are issues on the South Side. Crede's lower back is flaring up again, prompting supersub Rob Mackowiak to take grounders at third base. Thome's groin problem might prevent him from playing first base in interleague games. We've never heard of these new relievers they're bringing in. But mostly at this point, the Sox would like an answer on Barrett.

It should come any month now.LINK (http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay12.html)

RFS62
06-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets.