PDA

View Full Version : Why Arroyo is fun to watch

Spitball
06-09-2006, 12:21 PM
"He can throw that curve at any count," said Todd Walker, who had two of the Cubs' five hits. "He threw me a 2-0 curve, and you don't see much of that when you're in the big leagues. He knows what he's doing. It's almost a chess match with him and it seems like against us, he wins most of the time."

It is quite an experience to watch this guy pitch. I believe the Reds acquired this guy just as he was ready to bring his game to another level. He pitches backward, throwing breaking stuff in fastball situations, and changes speeds on all of his pitches. Plus, he occassionally changes his angle and delivery with awesome location. This guy should be putting fans in the seats. He has the talent, style, and charisma to be a star attraction.

I remember when the fans in Boston first started to embrace Pedro and wish Cincinnati would go wild for this guy. He has something that should appeal to young fans, old fans, female fans, and long-time baseball guys. The Reds need to promote this guy, but how? Blond wig nights when he pitches? A rally monkey (or other critter) with a guitar and weave? Maybe that is too hoaky, but this guy is special. Cincinnati needs to go wild for this guy...and this team.

Doc. Scott
06-09-2006, 12:27 PM
And Bronson wants to be Your Friend. (Especially if you're female, but there's no reason why men can't enjoy a strong platonic cyber-bond with our new ace).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=28821254

VR
06-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Works fast, doesn't nibble, fields exceptionally well, has attitude on the mound. Things the fans andhis the defenders behind him should enjoy greatly.

RANDY IN INDY
06-09-2006, 12:48 PM
:beerme:
It is quite an experience to watch this guy pitch. I believe the Reds acquired this guy just as he was ready to bring his game to another level. He pitches backward, throwing breaking stuff in fastball situations, and changes speeds on all of his pitches. Plus, he occassionally changes his angle and delivery with awesome location. This guy should be putting fans in the seats. He has the talent, style, and charisma to be a star attraction.

I remember when the fans in Boston first started to embrace Pedro and wish Cincinnati would go wild for this guy. He has something that should appeal to young fans, old fans, female fans, and long-time baseball guys. The Reds need to promote this guy, but how? Blond wig nights when he pitches? A rally monkey (or other critter) with a guitar and weave? Maybe that is too hoaky, but this guy is special. Cincinnati needs to go wild for this guy...and this team.

RFS62
06-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Great post, Spitball.

:beerme:

Reds1
06-09-2006, 01:15 PM
He is fun! It's amazing his ERA after the 3rd inning. It's not even a run and last night he did the big Zero. Who would have thought Womack would get a HR and be the only run the Cubbies get. That's baseball.

gonelong
06-09-2006, 01:22 PM
It is quite an experience to watch this guy pitch.

After a few of his starts I realized we haven't seen anything like this guy since Rijo, though he does it differently.

Sometimes its seems like he is throwing a wiffle ball up there.

GL

traderumor
06-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Arroyo is doing what is known as the art of pitching. Yes, in a Reds uniform. That is what it looks like. I had almost forgot.

cumberlandreds
06-09-2006, 02:09 PM
I went to the game he pitched at RFK against the Nats. It was a pleasure watching him pitch. He was truly masterful that day in how changed speeds and kept the Nats hitter off balance all day. The Nats only managed one bloop single all day.

TeamBoone
06-09-2006, 02:29 PM
I love the way his pitches sink at the plate. Unfortunately, I can't tell a curve from a sinker... I was never any good at that. But, whatever they are, they're beautiful and even I can appreciate watching them. His pitches mesmerizes me.

The seconed best thing about Bronson.... he doesn't mess around between pitches. He get up there, does his business (and does it well), and heads for the dugout. The games are noticeably faster when he pitches.

There was a pitcher on the Cards (damn, I can't remember his name) that was agonizingly slow the other night. I could go to the bathroom, pour myself a drink, and fix a sandwich between his pitches.

Roy Tucker
06-09-2006, 03:00 PM
I bet Arroyo throws a mean Frisbee.

CougarQuest
06-09-2006, 03:31 PM
:laugh: Another classic from Roy!

cumberlandreds
06-09-2006, 03:58 PM

It would also be interesting to see what he could do with a wiffle ball.:)

KronoRed
06-09-2006, 04:00 PM
I don't like the hair

There I said it

:D

Matt700wlw
06-09-2006, 04:07 PM
"He can throw that curve at any count," said Todd Walker, who had two of the Cubs' five hits. "He threw me a 2-0 curve, and you don't see much of that when you're in the big leagues. He knows what he's doing. It's almost a chess match with him and it seems like against us, he wins most of the time."

It's not just you, Todd. It's not just you.

Weren't some "experts" saying once teams see him more than once he they would figure him out and his numbers wouldn't be so...well...Cy Young-ish?

Still waiting...

gonelong
06-09-2006, 04:08 PM
I don't like the hair

There I said it

:laugh:

GL

http://www.spawntoys.com/images/shrek_farquaad.jpg

vaticanplum
06-09-2006, 04:10 PM
I don't like the hair

There I said it

If the flowing tresses bother you, I give you one word to ponder:

cornrows.

paintmered
06-09-2006, 04:59 PM

cornrows.

:scared: :scared:

Ya know, after a bit of reconsideration, the hair isn't so bad. :laugh:

Matt700wlw
06-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Arroyo makes it look easy. His pitches move and they almost float into the catcher's glove, and they go where he wants them to go.

It's nice to see some stellar pitching in a Reds uniform.

RANDY IN INDY
06-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Arroyo pitches like a throwback. There was a time when a lot of guys pitched with the savvy of Bronson Arroyo. Changing arm angles, speeds, and moving the hitters eye angle all the time. Very disruptive, and after all, pitching is basically messing up hitters timing. You don't see it nearly enough these days.

KronoRed
06-09-2006, 05:25 PM

cornrows.
He just doesn't have good hair

;)

TeamBoone
06-09-2006, 10:53 PM
I don't like the hair

There I said it

Awww Krono, what's not to like? He has great hair.

KronoRed
06-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Hippy!! ;)

kyred14
06-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Personally, I think he should go back to the cornrows.

TeamBoone
06-10-2006, 01:17 AM
Personally, I think he should go back to the cornrows.

Now those were ugly... on Bronson anyway.