PDA

View Full Version : Reds Fans Dream On...

dabvu2498
06-09-2006, 11:30 AM
From today's DDN: http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0609audible.html

Memo to Jim Morris and all other "casual" fans in the area: This team is pretty good.

Cincy's surge to first place allows Reds' fans to dream
By Jim Morris

Staff Writer

Isn't it a nice feeling to be excited about a baseball team again?

If you are not a Cincinnati Reds fan, feel free to turn the page or find the crossword puzzle. But if you are a Reds rooter, let's take a minute to enjoy the excitement of having the team locked in an honest-to-goodness pennant race.

OK, it's early, but those of us who have endured the Boone Breakdown, the Bowden Bungling and the Miley Miseries — all brought on by those Lousy Lindner years — have to take our little joys when we can get them.

Last year on this date, the Reds were 24-35, 14 games out of first place and only one-half game out of last place. And that's after a three-game winning streak.

The difference? New ownership, new attitude and a general manager who isn't afraid to pull the trigger.

This is not to say the Reds will win the World Series, the National League pennant or even the Central Division. It's early June, so we're a long way from any of those.

There are still problems in the rotation, the bullpen, the defense and some occasional glitches in the offense. But overall, there's obvious improvement.

The best thing is the feeling fans get — and probably the players, too — that upper management will do the right thing to help the team win.

If this success continues after the All-Star break, and Reds management goes shopping to tune up the lineup the way most winning clubs have in the past, fans will really know times have changed.

So now there is hope. A look at today's 36-24 record will tell you that.

No, it's not time to celebrate yet. But at least now we can dream.

OldXOhio
06-09-2006, 11:45 AM
I don't think it's going to take until after the AS break for this FO to decide to be buyers in the market. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if WK has already laid the framework for this very thing. Yes, there's a lot of season left, but it's now mid-June. The race is on.

Sean_CaseyRules
06-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Holy crap! The newspaper isn't talking nothing but negitive things about our Redlegs! What's the world coming too! They are starting to be glass-half-full type people now! YAY!

Sean_CaseyRules
06-09-2006, 02:33 PM
double post sorry...

OldXOhio
06-09-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm gonna need another version to fully grasp what you're trying to say here.

TeamBoone
06-09-2006, 09:07 PM
I'll tell ya what, the local media (newspapers, radio, TV) was out in force today telling people to come on down to the ballpark and cheer on our first place Reds. I gotta give them all kudos! :thumbup: