PDA

View Full Version : The Old Mr. Reds' Race

Edd Roush
06-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Okay, okay, I've been talking this over with my friends and the majority of them agree with me on this one. Who else out there wishes the Reds would revert to the old Riverfront Mr. Reds' Race? You know the one where there were three little black and white heads numbered 1, 2 and 3 that moved there way across the Jumbotron much to the delight of the Reds' fans.

I don't know if any one out there even has an opinion, but I feel strongly that the Reds should scrap the current Mr. Reds' race and revert to the old one. I can still remember being five years old cheering for Number One racing across the screen. I don't know, just throw out your opinion and lets see what my fellow Redzoners feel.

dabvu2498
06-09-2006, 12:09 PM
I always preferred #2.

Roy Tucker
06-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Yes, I much prefer the Pong graphics of the old Mr. Red race. Waaay better.

http://www.geocities.com/beckmabd/images/august%20pictures/cinergy_rr1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/beckmabd/images/august%20pictures/cinergy_rr2.jpg

And as a bonus...

http://www.geocities.com/beckmabd/images/august%20pictures/cinergy_ss2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/beckmabd/images/august%20pictures/cinergy_ss1.jpg

Joseph
06-09-2006, 12:17 PM
I can honestly say I've never even given it a moments thought.

I always root for Mr Redleg now.

Highlifeman21
06-09-2006, 12:32 PM
The new one, cuz I like how they fix it so on Mother's Day and other assorted female related events so Rosie wins.

KittyDuran
06-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Rosie has been turning into Superwoman lately...:) I like the graphics better with the newer race, but the older race it was easier to follow and to root for.

gonelong
06-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Okay, okay, I've been talking this over with my friends and the majority of them agree with me on this one. Who else out there wishes the Reds would revert to the old Riverfront Mr. Reds' Race? You know the one where there were three little black and white heads numbered 1, 2 and 3 that moved there way across the Jumbotron much to the delight of the Reds' fans.

I said it from the day the moved to GABP. Why not occasionally bring the old B&W pixled devils out and let Dad's tell their kids about the first time they saw it. Let the kids get a good laugh at their dinosaur of a father and let the old farts have a bit of nostalga.

... and really, no reason to limit to just that one.

Walks will haunt. (Unless you don't embrace OBP/OPS, then they are just a non-factor. ;) )

GL

Yachtzee
06-09-2006, 12:53 PM
The Big Red Smokie graphic and the "Walks Will Haunt (Oooooooooooooh)" graphic were my favorites.

Caveat Emperor
06-09-2006, 12:53 PM
I can honestly say I've never even given it a moments thought.

I always root for Mr Redleg now.

Agreed. Mr. Redlegs is clearly the choice of true Reds fans. If Mr. Redlegs was on the field as a real mascot, I can only imagine he'd cry with shame at seeing Mr. Red, a proud baseball-headed mascot, being forced to share the field with an overgrown furball like Gapper.

True story about the old Mr. Reds race setup that I heard: Pete Rose used to place $20 wagers with other people in the dugout on the outcome of the Mr. Reds race at old Riverfront stadium. He had to keep rotating who he'd make bets with, though, because he won nearly every bet he made. People got suspicious and found out he was going to the scoreboard operator before the games and asking which "race" the operating was going to play and getting the winner beforehand.

IowaRed
06-09-2006, 01:00 PM
I hate all races, t-shirt shooting guns, wacky mascots, etc. and everything else that distracts from the true beauty of the game. The speed in which it's played, the beautiful (usually) field, the sounds-like bat meeting ball. However, I realize that kids don't usually find baseball exciting enough to watch on it's own in this Playstation world. My 3 and 4 year old don't and I also realize I'm old. Get outta my yard!

Keystone12
06-09-2006, 01:02 PM
I am so pleased that this is a thread.

Frankly, my friends and I lament the passing of the old Mr. Reds' Race pretty much every single game we go to (usually ten or twelve a summer, up until this one). It is an almost universal sentiment among my friends (ages 20-24) that there should be some bringing back of the old Mr. Reds' race - maybe once a week?

I don't feel strongly about a lot of things like this, but this is one of them. Bring back the old Reds' race and let me cheer #1 on to victory!

KittyDuran
06-09-2006, 01:03 PM
The Big Red Smokie graphic and the "Walks Will Haunt (Oooooooooooooh)" graphic were my favorites.They show them at GABP.

BuckWoody
06-09-2006, 01:08 PM
They've been running the old Big Red Smokey bit at the new yard. I've seen it a couple of times this year. I don't think they play the old organ music with it like they used to...which is a shame.

Also, I look for Rosie to be implicated in this latest steroid fuss. Have you seen the stats from this year's races? She's kicking some serious butt!

redsmetz
06-09-2006, 01:20 PM
True story about the old Mr. Reds race setup that I heard: Pete Rose used to place $20 wagers with other people in the dugout on the outcome of the Mr. Reds race at old Riverfront stadium. He had to keep rotating who he'd make bets with, though, because he won nearly every bet he made. People got suspicious and found out he was going to the scoreboard operator before the games and asking which "race" the operating was going to play and getting the winner beforehand.

This is too funny! I used to joke that this was why Rose couldn't unequivocally say he didn't bet on baseball because he was betting on the Mr. Red race!

redsmetz
06-09-2006, 01:24 PM
They've been running the old Big Red Smokey bit at the new yard. I've seen it a couple of times this year. I don't think they play the old organ music with it like they used to...which is a shame.

Also, I look for Rosie to be implicated in this latest steroid fuss. Have you seen the stats from this year's races? She's kicking some serious butt!

I called my daughter in DC to tell her that Rosie had won, but only after she'd turned into Wonder Woman. She said she'd never seen Rosie win and she shouldn't have to turn into a superhero to beat those two.

Danny Serafini
06-09-2006, 01:25 PM
The new one is much better. I am sick of losing money by betting on Mr. Redlegs though.

registerthis
06-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Definitely the old one. There was something sweetly innocent about the old race, just the white pixels scooting across the scoreboard.

The new one's flashier, with better graphics, but there's a nostalgic part of me that yearns for the old Mr. Red race.

BuckWoody
06-09-2006, 01:47 PM
I called my daughter in DC to tell her that Rosie had won, but only after she'd turned into Wonder Woman. She said she'd never seen Rosie win and she shouldn't have to turn into a superhero to beat those two.
We were there for one of the Wonder Woman moments this year. :D

Someone going tonight needs to pay attention to the stats and post them. IIRC, Rosie has a nice lead over Mr. Red and Mr. Redleg at the moment. It's only June though. At his age it takes Mr. Redleg a couple months to round into form and you have to expect Mr. Red to start performing like it says he can on the back of his baseball card. :)

Hollcat
06-09-2006, 01:50 PM
I agree to bring back the old MR. Reds race. They could bring back the Pepsi, Dt. Pepsi, Mt Dew power boat race to the jumbotron/diamondvision whatever it's called screen. I did enjoy those.

redsfanfalcon
06-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Bring back the old Mr. Reds race! They do still have the smoked sausage one, and also the Walks Will Haunt. Maybe "Power of Tradition" will rear its head on the old Mr. Reds race being brought back.

Roy Tucker
06-09-2006, 01:58 PM
One feature of the new-style race that I like is when Gapper blindsides one of the racers.

I still prefer the old one though. I also like ASCII art.

tsj017
06-09-2006, 02:40 PM
The old one, no question.

And they've brought back "Walks Will Haunt" and "Yer blind! That's a smoked sausage!"?????

If so, then there is some justice in the world.

:cry: (tears of joy)

KittyDuran
06-09-2006, 02:42 PM
I agree to bring back the old MR. Reds race. They could bring back the Pepsi, Dt. Pepsi, Mt Dew power boat race to the jumbotron/diamondvision whatever it's called screen. I did enjoy those.They have car races now - but I really like the power boat races on the Ohio, too! :thumbup:

dabvu2498
06-09-2006, 02:44 PM
They have car races now - but I really like the power boat races on the Ohio, too! :thumbup:
Plus, they played the Magnum PI music during the boat races. Nice touch. :rockband:

KronoRed
06-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Rosie never wins when I'm at the game..I thought it was fixed till I heard she does actually win sometimes :lol:

Oh..I like old Mr.Red..new one looks like an alien

Yachtzee
06-09-2006, 06:01 PM
They show them at GABP.

I did not know that. Shows you how many games I've been able to get to. Both times I've been to GABP, I've been stuck in left field, underneath the scoreboard. :( So I've never actually seen the scoreboard during a game.

paintmered
06-09-2006, 06:06 PM
The old one, no question.

And they've brought back "Walks Will Haunt" and "Yer blind! That's a smoked sausage!"?????

If so, then there is some justice in the world.

:cry: (tears of joy)

Yep, the last game I attended, they played the "yer blind!" from Riverfront.

paintmered
06-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Rosie never wins when I'm at the game..I thought it was fixed till I heard she does actually win sometimes :lol:

Oh..I like old Mr.Red..new one looks like an alien

Only time I've seen Rosie win was on Mother's Day.

Redhook
06-09-2006, 06:37 PM
#3, #3, #3.....that's what I was saying a few weeks ago at the game when the race came on. I had forgotten that the new race was different having just moved back to Cincy after four years in Orlando. This was only my fourth game at GABP. I felt like an idiot for a few seconds due to the fact that my hand was high in the air with 3 fingers up. The new race is O.K., but it's just not the same. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

savafan
06-09-2006, 06:40 PM
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

But, clearly the old scoreboard was broken.

http://www.jimpoz.com/albums/cinergy/Scan11010.sized.jpg

OldRightHander
06-09-2006, 10:05 PM
There was something about the old one, probably because that's what a lot of us knew for so many years. There's another tradition from the old park I hope we bring back, playoff baseball. I really enjoyed that one.

Edd Roush
06-10-2006, 12:24 AM
Wow, I am so happy with all of the response this thread has gotten. It's also nice to know that the educated Reds' nation sides with me on this one. I think it would be so cool if the Reds were to bring back all of the old Riverfront stuff for say a Sunday game. Kick back to an easier and more successful (for the Reds) time. I just would enjoy cheering for Number One to make his way across the screen without having to worry about Gapper running down Mr. Red (my preferred New Reds' Race participant).

BigJohn
06-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Iowareds, you are a wise man I am with you!

sdwagers
06-10-2006, 10:50 AM
I miss the old race and Mr Red #2. I did drop a load hoever when Gapper took out the "field" in the new one.

BuckWoody
06-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Trivia time! Which Mr. Red won the last race ever at Riverfront Stadium?

scroll down for answer.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/buckwoody/LastRace.jpg

MattyHo4Life
06-10-2006, 02:43 PM
I haven't seen the new one yet, but I always liked the old one.