PDA

View Full Version : The PTBNL for Phillips must be picked this week

OnBaseMachine
06-11-2006, 03:54 AM
Dragons tales

One scout following the Midwest League said he has been getting lots of calls asking about prospects on the Dragons. That's an indication the parent Cincinnati Reds are looking to make a trade at the big-league level and are dangling prospects in such a deal.

This also is the week Cleveland must pick its compensation for second baseman Brandon Phillips, and one or two Dragons might be on that list.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/daily/0611dragons.html

Redmachine2003
06-11-2006, 12:29 PM
I thought it was said to be cash and the deadline was before the Draft.

KronoRed
06-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Give em cash, we have prospects and we need them for pitching help

CTA513
06-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Give em cash, we have prospects and we need them for pitching help

Homer Bailey is on his way to Cleveland. :evil:

;)

KronoRed
06-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Only if Sowers is on his way back to us

redsmetz
06-11-2006, 06:05 PM
I thought it was said to be cash and the deadline was before the Draft.

Someone here on Redszone once said that, but I've never seen that corroberated. We'll see this week.

Spitball
06-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Someone here on Redszone once said that, but I've never seen that corroberated. We'll see this week.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060424&content_id=1416193&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

It's true. The link is to one of many sites I found the "cash" option icluded. Now, there may have been a stipulation about him making the club or some sort of performance grade affecting the return, but it is never mentioned.

Once Cleveland's top prospect, the team traded Phillips to Cincinnati on April 7 for a player to be named later or cash. To say that the 24-year-old has been a nice find might be a bit of an understatement.

Danny Serafini
06-11-2006, 07:17 PM
That story doesn't say the Reds sent cash, just that it's an option. I've never seen anything official on what was sent, I don't believe the decision has been made yet.

Spitball
06-11-2006, 07:21 PM
That story doesn't say the Reds sent cash, just that it's an option. I've never seen anything official on what was sent, I don't believe the decision has been made yet.

Nothing has been sent yet. It will be sent this week.

dougdirt
06-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Only if Sowers is on his way back to us
I would personally pass on Bailey for Sowers.

redsmetz
06-11-2006, 11:00 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060424&content_id=1416193&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

It's true. The link is to one of many sites I found the "cash" option icluded. Now, there may have been a stipulation about him making the club or some sort of performance grade affecting the return, but it is never mentioned.

I wasn't saying that the cash wasn't an option, just that it's never been clearly stated that they finalized the deal with cash. If they have, I've never seen a story stating that.

traderumor
06-12-2006, 12:07 AM

Bit of a flag pops up on the K rate, but a 23 yr old with a WHIP just a little over 1, an ERA of 1.37 and major league ready really isn't comparable to a 19 yr old A baller.

Chip R
06-12-2006, 01:05 AM
Hopefully they will take Rick White. ;)

wheels
06-12-2006, 01:40 AM

Seriously?

CTA513
06-12-2006, 01:50 AM
Hopefully they will take Rick White. ;)

Maybe the Reds can give them Dave Williams old jerseys and bats?

:p:

MattyHo4Life
06-12-2006, 09:06 AM
there may have been a stipulation about him making the club or some sort of performance grade affecting the return

Isn't that always the case with a PTBNL? I thought the whole purpose of a PTBNL was to choose the return depending on how good the player performs for the receiving team. Otherwise, they would just name the player at the time of the trade.

Heath
06-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Cash is sure a popular option.

Shucks, if the Indians don't want the cash for Phillips, they can send it to me!

bigredmachine1976
06-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Spitball

You stole my quote!

dougdirt
06-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Seriously?
Yes, very seriously. Sowers has some serious question marks in my mind.
His ERA might be 1.37, but it is very decieving.
His WHIP is 1.15, which is good, but its not that good.
He is striking out just 5.06 guys per 9 innings pitched.
He is walking 2.74 guys per 9 innings.
His strikeouts to walk ratio is 1.85 to 1. That is not good at all.
He is allowing 7.6 hits per 9 innings, again not bad, but not that impressive either.
The only number Sowers has better than Bailey, is his ERA. I dont have the number of batters Sowers has faced, but if I did I would be willing to bet his dERA is also higher than Baileys and he is just extremely lucky right now becuase nothing about Sowers numbers says 1.37 ERA.

redsmetz
06-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Isn't that always the case with a PTBNL? I thought the whole purpose of a PTBNL was to choose the return depending on how good the player performs for the receiving team. Otherwise, they would just name the player at the time of the trade.

The players to choose from are determined at the time of the trade and are not based on subsequent performance. Some of stated that its possible some of the PTBNL were draftees from last year and were not eligible to be traded until a year after they're under contract (or drafted, I'm not sure which).

We'll see.

Spitball
06-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Spitball

You stole my quote!

I stole your quote!?!? :eek: You stole my quote. I have been using it for couple of months now, how long have you been using it? :)

Spitball
06-12-2006, 05:32 PM
You can have it...It was a time for a change anyway. :beerme: :beerme:

bigredmachine1976
06-13-2006, 10:27 AM
At least 2 years, but I'll share.

Spitball
06-13-2006, 12:15 PM
At least 2 years, but I'll share.

Thanks for the offer, but I already changed. :) Have you used it continually for two years? I never noticed. I first used it a couple of years ago, but I like to change every few months. I'm a big Dave Barry fan. I miss his weekly column.

toledodan
06-14-2006, 12:03 AM
jeff stevens is the PTBNL for BP as marty said on the post game show tonight.

Marty and Joe
06-14-2006, 05:46 AM

Read this on Rotoworld also. Great trade.

:beerme:

OnBaseMachine
06-14-2006, 07:47 AM

Good.

I began to worry a bit when I heard the PTBNL was someone from the Dayton roster. I was hoping it wouldn't be Bruce, Cueto, Ward, or Fisher. Stevens for Phillips is a great trade from the Reds standpoint. Phillips has been one of the best 2B in baseball so far - both offensively and defensively, while Stevens has struggled in low-A.