PDA

View Full Version : Browns and Reds

buckeyefred
06-11-2006, 04:36 AM
On the Browns fans site I see a good amount of Reds chatter.

I wonder how may folks out there root for the Browns and the Reds?

My family is from Troy. Closer to Cincinnati, but they were Browns fans from the very start. And they converted.

RFS62
06-11-2006, 09:19 AM
:wave:

max venable
06-11-2006, 01:36 PM
In and around Columbus it's not uncommon.

My dad (who grew up in Dayton) is a Reds/Browns fan...mainly because there was no NFL team in Cincinnati when he was a kid.

Matt700wlw
06-11-2006, 01:39 PM
My dad (who grew up in Dayton) is a Reds/Browns fan...mainly because there was no NFL team in Cincinnati when he was a kid.

I guess that's acceptable :D

BoydsOfSummer
06-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Woof!

I was born a Reds fan and raised a Browns fan. There was no Bengirl team when I was born and the family were all Browns rooters. Plus I lived in northern ohio in the early 8o's Kardiac Kids days.

macro
06-11-2006, 05:40 PM
http://www.pinatas.com/images/images_4/bengals-logo.gifWho are these "Browns" you guys are referring to? http://www.pinatas.com/images/images_4/bengals-logo.gif

:devil:

Joseph
06-11-2006, 09:12 PM
There is something unatural about this pairing. I think for the safety of the future of the children of Ohio this should be outlawed and anyone afflicted with this obvious split personality disorder should be institutionalized immediately.

savafan
06-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Another Reds/Browns fan here.

KittyDuran
06-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Calling GAC, calling GAC...:D

Yachtzee
06-12-2006, 12:06 AM
I think it's fairly common in Ohio. Up until 1968, there was no NFL team in Cincinnati. And up until 1995, there was no MLB team in Cleveland. ;)

bucksfan
06-12-2006, 12:29 AM
Yup, there are a couple threads here that touch on this matter also. In one of 'em I describe how I came to the same situation. But to sum it up for me, the Modell exodus started to kill the NFL for me, and it has been long in recovering. But i definitely was/am one of those odd ducks you describe.

KronoRed
06-12-2006, 12:33 AM
I'm Reds/Jaguars

*crickets chirp*

Yeah yeah yeah :p:

Heath
06-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Reds/Browns here as well. Blame the generational pass down from dad-to-son.

I haven't done my job though - Both boys are Bengals fans. My boys like the Reds, but one likes the Tigers and one likes the Mets. Go figure.

dabvu2498
06-12-2006, 10:48 AM
If it's Brown, flush it down.

Joseph
06-12-2006, 12:25 PM
I think I've said this elsewhere, but growing up a Kentucky boy [ie UK] I still have a degree of bewilderment that anyone is a Reds and Ohio State fan instead of a Reds and UK fan. To ME its just natural to cheer for the Reds and UK. Ohio State was always just this [no offense is intended by this comment] odd school up north, and of no real relevance to my family.

So, go Reds, go UK, go Bengals. Everyone else should get on this bandwagon so there is less in the way of arguments. :)

KronoRed
06-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Reds/Browns here as well. Blame the generational pass down from dad-to-son.

I haven't done my job though - Both boys are Bengals fans. My boys like the Reds, but one likes the Tigers and one likes the Mets. Go figure.
Trade em in, you lost that bunch.;)

smith288
06-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Who would like a team that closely resembles something floating in my aerator tank? :D

GAC
06-13-2006, 08:09 PM
On the Browns fans site I see a good amount of Reds chatter.

I wonder how may folks out there root for the Browns and the Reds?

My family is from Troy. Closer to Cincinnati, but they were Browns fans from the very start. And they converted.

Been a huge fan of both since around 1964.

GAC
06-13-2006, 08:10 PM
There is something unatural about this pairing. I think for the safety of the future of the children of Ohio this should be outlawed and anyone afflicted with this obvious split personality disorder should be institutionalized immediately.

I know guys who are Bengals/Indian fans. What's up with that? ;)

GAC
06-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Who would like a team that closely resembles something floating in my aerator tank? :D

Who started both teams? ;)

"Luke, I am your father!" :lol:

BuckWoody
06-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Who started both teams? ;)

"Luke, I am your father!" :lol:
Al Lerner? :dunno:

;)

I know guys who are Bengals/Indian fans. What's up with that? ;)

I understand the Reds/Browns dynamic; I don't really care for it but I understand. But Bengals/Indians? That's pretty odd right there. At least they've got one right. :thumbup:

Heath
06-14-2006, 10:16 AM
But Bengals/Indians? That's pretty odd right there. At least they've got one right. :thumbup:

Go Tribe.

:laugh:

BuckWoody
06-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Go Tribe.

:laugh:
:thumbdown

http://go-bengals.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/tailgate.gif:thumbup:

Heath
06-14-2006, 10:44 AM
:thumbdown

http://go-bengals.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/tailgate.gif:thumbup:

sorry, my eyes are going bad, I thought that was a double-wide .... :D ;)

I like Bengals fans. Sat next to a few at the Browns/Bengals game in Cincinnati this year. Worried sons-of-a-guns over a 4-9 team. Nice people, good football conversation. Great time.

Sean_CaseyRules
06-14-2006, 11:54 PM
I'm Reds/Jaguars

*crickets chirp*

Yeah yeah yeah :p:

Dude I feel you man! I'm a Reds/Dolphins guy! Never lived anywhere but Ohio, family is from Ohio, and we are just Dolphins fans!

GAC
06-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Al Lerner? :dunno:

;)

Mr Paul Brown.

We call you guys Paul Brown's BA****** :lol:

I understand the Reds/Browns dynamic; I don't really care for it but I understand.

We don't care that you don't care for it. ;)

It's what happens when you live on the Mason-Dixon line in Ohio, and were raised during a time when the Browns were the only pro FB team in Ohio.

BuckWoody
06-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Mr Paul Brown.

We call you guys Paul Brown's BA****** :lol:.
My point (in jest) that you missed was that, technically, Paul Brown did not start the current Browns franchise. Al Lerner did. The franchise that Paul Brown founded packed up and moved to Baltimore.

I hate having to spell these things out for Browns fans. ;)

We don't care that you don't care for it. ;)

It's what happens when you live on the Mason-Dixon line in Ohio, and were raised during a time when the Browns were the only pro FB team in Ohio.
I remember a time when the Bengals were the only pro FB team in Ohio too...shortlived though it was. See you September 17th.:evil:

GAC
06-16-2006, 07:18 AM
My point (in jest) that you missed was that, technically, Paul Brown did not start the current Browns franchise. Al Lerner did. The franchise that Paul Brown founded packed up and moved to Baltimore.

I hate having to spell these things out for Browns fans. ;)

Those aren't the Browns - thems the Ravens.

Part of the deal was that the Brown's name, and all the tradition that goes with the organization (including the history of Paul Brown), staid in Cleveland.

When you go to the Raven's website, you don't see any of that. You see, well, Raven's stuff. ;)

I remember a time when the Bengals were the only pro FB team in Ohio too...shortlived though it was. See you September 17th.:evil:

Looking forward to it. Ya escaped by the hair of your chinny chin chin in Cincy last year, while Crennel's D gave Palmer his worst QB rating of the year (53.5).

The Browns have a 33-30 record vs the Bengals.

We've both made the post-season since 2000.... and we both got beat by Pitt in the 1st round. ;)

remdog
06-16-2006, 08:14 AM
By GAC:Part of the deal was that the Brown's name, and all the tradition that goes with the organization (including the history of Paul Brown), staid in Cleveland.

The Browns ended (from my viewpoint anyway) when Art Modell fired Paul. That's when the organization truly became 'staid' in Cleveland. (Pun intended :) )

True Browns fans followed Paul to Cincinnati and his rebirth as the Bengals, the true heirs to the Brown legacy. Modell meanwhile continued his carpet-bagging ways and decided that he liked crabcakes better than Lake Erie perch and moved the team to Baltimore. The NFL, faced with exposure of it's lack of noblesse oblige towards the hard-working folk that inhabit the south shore of Lake Erie, magnanimously (by their standards) waved their magic wand and told the decendants of Moses Cleaveland that everything will be OK, we'll just put a bunch of scrubbs in your fair city, tell you it's the same team and you'll never know the difference. Oh, by the way, give us a sum approximateing one-half of the gross domestic product of Brazil and we'll call it even. :evil:

Ahhh GAC, you young, young man. You've been following the Browns since '64, the year the Browns drubbed the then Baltimore Colts (ironic, isn't that?) in the '64 NFL Championship game 27-0. I, OTOH, can remember, like it was yesterday, saying to Dante Lavelli ....um, well, nevermind... :laugh:

Rem

TeamCasey
06-16-2006, 08:39 AM
:wave: My Dad is a Browns fan. I'm still not quite over Art Modell moving the team, but I root for them ...... for my Dad. ;)

BuckWoody
06-16-2006, 09:38 AM
We've both made the post-season since 2005....
Good one...you need to fire your fact checker. :)

remdog's story closely follows that of my dad. He wasn't happy with the way Paul Brown was treated in Cleveland by Modell and as soon as he started getting support for a new team in Cincinnati, my dad was on board. I was raised a Bengals fan and a Paul Brown fan from the start. I certainly have respect for the history and accomplishments of the Cleveland Browns but not much so after 1962.

GAC, you and I brother will have to rest our hats on the common ground we share as diehard Reds fans. :thumbup:

smith288
06-16-2006, 04:54 PM
The Browns ended (from my viewpoint anyway) when Art Modell fired Paul. That's when the organization truly became 'staid' in Cleveland. (Pun intended :) )

True Browns fans followed Paul to Cincinnati and his rebirth as the Bengals, the true heirs to the Brown legacy. Modell meanwhile continued his carpet-bagging ways and decided that he liked crabcakes better than Lake Erie perch and moved the team to Baltimore. The NFL, faced with exposure of it's lack of noblesse oblige towards the hard-working folk that inhabit the south shore of Lake Erie, magnanimously (by their standards) waved their magic wand and told the decendants of Moses Cleaveland that everything will be OK, we'll just put a bunch of scrubbs in your fair city, tell you it's the same team and you'll never know the difference. Oh, by the way, give us a sum approximateing one-half of the gross domestic product of Brazil and we'll call it even. :evil:

Ahhh GAC, you young, young man. You've been following the Browns since '64, the year the Browns drubbed the then Baltimore Colts (ironic, isn't that?) in the '64 NFL Championship game 27-0. I, OTOH, can remember, like it was yesterday, saying to Dante Lavelli ....um, well, nevermind... :laugh:

Rem
Grade A stuff right there. :lol:

GAC
06-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Good one...you need to fire your fact checker. :)

Sorry - meant 2000. ;)

GAC, you and I brother will have to rest our hats on the common ground we share as diehard Reds fans. :thumbup:

That's fine with me. I follow and root for the Bengals. It's not like they are the Pittsburgh Steelers. ;)

GAC
06-16-2006, 07:58 PM
True Browns fans followed Paul to Cincinnati and his rebirth as the Bengals, the true heirs to the Brown legacy.

I'll respectfully agree to disagree with you there rem. ;)

remdog
06-16-2006, 09:11 PM
I'll respectfully agree to disagree with you there rem. ;)

Ah, youth.....:laugh:

Rem

GAC
06-17-2006, 06:40 AM
Ah, youth.....:laugh:

Rem

I just got my AARP membership card in the mail there Moses! ;)

Geesh! I can't believe I'm defending getting old. :lol:

I'm reporting you to all your neighbors back in Parma.

Heath
06-17-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm reporting you to all your neighbors back in Parma.

Is remdog Drew Carey??? :eek: :D

Those Parma people - you just can't trust'em :D

remdog
06-17-2006, 11:26 PM
OK, OK. Just to set the record straight, I don't have any neighbors in Parma 'cause I grew up in Seven Hills----even if they made me go to Parma High School. :p:

Rem