PDA

View Full Version : Blabbering heads

M2
06-11-2006, 08:24 PM
So I'm watching Baseball Tonight and they do a segment on what's wrong with the Indians. They mention that Paul Byrd and Bob Wickman tussled in the clubhouse and then they bring in Joe Morgan for his two cents.

He says the Indians are a young team that expected to compete and now they need some players to step up and take a leadership role. He then says the Byrd/Wickman dustup is a reflection of a young team that can't handle the tension. He mentions guys like Travis Hafner and Grady Sizemore by name and outright states that veteran leadership is sorely lacking.

After Joe says his peace, the studio crew parrots what he said.

It was probably the most useless, off-point "analysis" of a baseball team I've ever seen. The Indians young hitters are what's keeping the team afloat. The Tribe is third in the AL in scoring (second in runs per game). Meanwhile they've got a 4.96 team ERA largely thanks to veteran pitchers like Byrd and Jason Johnson being unqualified duds. Byrd and Wickman are two of the oldest players on the rosters. Sizemore and Hafner are having All-Star seasons, possibly MVP seasons if the team were in contention (Victor Martinez too). What the Indians need is most of the pitching to have an ERA below 5.00 instead of the current situation where 4/5 of the rotation and half the bullpen is above it.

Veteran leadership ... it's like these guys have all simultaneously gone Rain Man.

KronoRed
06-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Notice it's usually old player spouting about veteran leadership?

Like they want to make sure other old guys get jobs.

Mainspark
06-11-2006, 09:24 PM
I seem to recall that at some point in the mid-1970s, frequently enraged relief pitcher Pedro Borbon and normally mild-mannered centerfielder Cesar Geronimo became engaged in a brawl in a Reds clubhouse that at that time was filled to the brim with veteran leadership.

Caveat Emperor
06-12-2006, 12:47 AM
I'll take talented players, Morgan can take veteran leadership. Wager on who ends up in the postseason?

Cooper
06-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Did anyone hear Joe's remarks about amphetamines?

He reports that they dint spike the coffe with amps..."that's not how amphetamines work, they come in pill form."

He went on to say that the whole thing was a lie and that it never happened. Now with all that has come out re: amps....does he really believe it never happened? Schmidt and Rose took them ...those are 2 of his best friends when he played, yet, he wants to deny that amps never played a part in the game. He's lost his mind: Joe Morgan for Commissioner!!

traderumor
06-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Did anyone hear Joe's remarks about amphetamines?

He reports that they dint spike the coffe with amps..."that's not how amphetamines work, they come in pill form."

He went on to say that the whole thing was a lie and that it never happened. Now with all that has come out re: amps....does he really believe it never happened? Schmidt and Rose took them ...those are 2 of his best friends when he played, yet, he wants to deny that amps never played a part in the game. He's lost his mind: Joe Morgan for Commissioner!!
I do think the spiked coffee raises a BS flag. Leaded and unleaded normally means with vs. without caffeine. Grimsley seems stupid enough that someone probably told him that it meant with or without greenies when he was a rookie and no one ever told him different, but snickered about it behind his back.

Cooper
06-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Traderumor: the leaded vs unleaded stories go back to 1969. You may be correct, i've heard the story from numerous sources....maybe it's urban legend.

More than that--Joe's point was there was no amping going on. He buried his head in the sand if he really believes that.

NJReds
06-12-2006, 10:26 AM
They mention that Paul Byrd and Bob Wickman tussled in the clubhouse

What, only one sandwich left on the postgame buffet?

RedsManRick
06-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Morgan spends the credibility he accumulated as a player on a daily basis. It won't be long before he runs completely out.

WMR
06-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Joe Morgan: Foot. Mouth. Insert. Repeat.

Raisor
06-12-2006, 12:46 PM
As per my Redszone contract, I'm no longer allowed to say anything about Joe Morgan other then "he was a great player in his day".

Johnny Footstool
06-12-2006, 12:50 PM
I do think the spiked coffee raises a BS flag. Leaded and unleaded normally means with vs. without caffeine. Grimsley seems stupid enough that someone probably told him that it meant with or without greenies when he was a rookie and no one ever told him different, but snickered about it behind his back.

Leaded and unleaded could easily have a different meaning in the clubhouse than in the corporate world. The semantics of those terms shouldn't matter, especially when other sources have corroborated Grimsley's claims about spiked coffee.

For Joe to say "amphetemines don't work that way; they come in pill form" is ludicrously ignorant. Hey Joe, how do those pills get into the bloodstream? Tiny digestion elves living in your belly?

RedsManRick
06-12-2006, 01:09 PM
For Joe to say "amphetemines don't work that way; they come in pill form" is ludicrously ignorant. Hey Joe, how do those pills get into the bloodstream? Tiny digestion elves living in your belly?

Of course not, Billy Beane performs voodoo on it...

registerthis
06-12-2006, 01:50 PM
I seem to recall that at some point in the mid-1970s, frequently enraged relief pitcher Pedro Borbon and normally mild-mannered centerfielder Cesar Geronimo became engaged in a brawl in a Reds clubhouse that at that time was filled to the brim with veteran leadership.

And a certain manager and a certain reliever from a certain Championship team in the early 90s got into it as well.

Heath
06-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Ever since Baseball Tonight quit showing baseball highlights and just showing features and talking heads, the level of the show plummeted.

KronoRed
06-12-2006, 03:23 PM
As per my Redszone contract, I'm no longer allowed to say anything about Joe Morgan other then "he was a great player in his day".
Man I'd fire your agent, that was a raw deal.

zombie-a-go-go
06-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Man I'd fire your agent, that was a raw deal.

Not really; he's gonna make hay on the comeback tour. :cool:

smith288
06-13-2006, 02:21 PM
My contract is different, its incentive laced...

Joe Morgan is dumber than a box of limestone.

I get a bonus for every insult I give him.

Bill
06-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Perhaps Reds fan were lucky in the long run that lindner and not Dolan got the team. Dolan has put money into the farm system and picks but has only half-heartedly stepped up when they reached contention potential.

KronoRed
06-13-2006, 03:17 PM
My contract is different, its incentive laced...

Joe Morgan is dumber than a box of limestone.

I get a bonus for every insult I give him.
Good deal smith :beerme:

REDREAD
06-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Perhaps Reds fan were lucky in the long run that lindner and not Dolan got the team. Dolan has put money into the farm system and picks but has only half-heartedly stepped up when they reached contention potential.

Hard to say. I would've liked to see them break the bank and resign Millwood, but that's risky.

I also would not have traded Crisp for Matre. The Indians may have "won" that trade in terms of raw talent, but it hurts their chances of winning now, just because there's a huge dropoff in defense (which effects the ERA).

Other than those two moves (which could be defended, they weren't horrible moves), it's hard to be too critical. Dolan did step up and fund Byrd's deal at 7 million/year. I would've paid the extra $$ for Millwood, but it's hard to tell if that was the owner's decision or the GM's decision.