PDA

View Full Version : Weathers: severe tendinitis

dabvu2498
06-12-2006, 08:30 AM
Severe tendinitis gives Weathers major scare
By Sean McClelland

Staff Writer

CINCINNATI | David Weathers feared the worst. And why not, considering the Cincinnati Reds pitcher couldn't feel his right arm and the hand attached to it kept shaking.

It was a sickening sidelight to Sunday's 9-3 loss to the Chicago Cubs. Weathers relieved Eric Milton to start the eighth inning, yielded two singles and a home run to the three batters he faced, then retreated to the clubhouse.

Reds physician Dr. Tim Kremchek diagnosed a severe case of shoulder tendinitis and suggested several days of rest. Reds manager Jerry Narron did not rule out a stint on the disabled list, but Weathers said he doubts it will be necessary and was just happy to learn his career isn't over.

"It's probably the worst my arm's felt since I've been playing baseball," said Weathers, who's been getting paid to play since 1988.

"When I walked off the field, I was totally convinced I had torn my shoulder up, because I've never had it to the point where it went to sleep, just a solid tingle.

"And the hand was shaking. I've never had anything like that. I'm very relieved, but it's still very sore."

Weathers threw 30 pitches in Saturday's loss. He thinks this might have played a role. Sunday, he said he could tell while warming up in the bullpen that something was amiss.

After giving up a single to Michael Barrett leading off the eighth inning, Weathers felt pain on his first pitch to Phil Nevin. The next one left the park, and the Reds were down 6-2. After Matt Murton singled, Chris Hammond relieved Weathers and gave up another two-run homer, to Ronny Cedeno, and the Reds' hopes of at least splitting the four-game series were dashed.

"That's what stinks about it," Weathers said. "We just had an opportunity to knock the Cubs completely out of it if we take three out of four. But it's not like our ship is sunk. ... We'll come back. I'm sure we're going to pitch well and take care of the Brewers."

Milton solid again

In five starts since undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his left knee, Milton is 2-2 with a 2.85 ERA and four quality starts.

Sunday, he held the Cubs to three earned runs in seven innings. He had walked eight in 521/3 innings this season before Cedeno worked a free pass with two out in the seventh inning. Neifi Perez, the next batter, hit a home run.

"Can't let extra runners on base," Milton said. "It's not something you want to do, but the mistake was the home run. It's just ... not fun."

Wilson gaining strength

Reds pitcher Paul Wilson, recovering from shoulder surgery, threw for four minutes Sunday. The plan is for him to unleash 50 to 60 pitches Tuesday as he continues to build arm strength. "He's definitely getting stronger," trainer Mark Mann said.

Matt Belisle (lower back), on the DL since May 30, played long toss and is expected to throw 50 to 60 pitches in a bullpen session today.

Aurilia's day of rest

Rich Aurilia, who has started at first base, second, third and shortstop for the Reds this season, got the day off. He's hitting .071 on the homestand (1-for-14).

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0612redsnotes.html

flyer85
06-12-2006, 08:32 AM
severe tendinitis sounds like a trip to the DL, not a few days off.

dabvu2498
06-12-2006, 08:33 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. That really doesn't just go away after a few days.

RedFanAlways1966
06-12-2006, 08:38 AM

Perhaps the REDS are trying to scare the opposition by letting them think that the almighty David Weathers is a threat to come into the game and shut them down?!?

;) :devil: ;)

Heath
06-12-2006, 09:13 AM
DL Weathers .... until November.

BigJohn
06-12-2006, 09:38 AM
My whole arm went numb when he was pitching too! I think I was having a stroke though! He sux!

OldXOhio
06-12-2006, 10:11 AM
Weathers threw 30 pitches in Saturday's loss. He thinks this might have played a role. Sunday, he said he could tell while warming up in the bullpen that something was amiss.

Why didn't Weathers mention this to the staff? And if he did, why was he in the game?

redsfan30
06-12-2006, 10:49 AM
My whole arm went numb when he was pitching too! I think I was having a stroke though! He sux!
Not needed.

traderumor
06-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Why didn't Weathers mention this to the staff? And if he did, why was he in the game?Good question.

dabvu2498
06-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Why didn't Weathers mention this to the staff? And if he did, why was he in the game?
A deadly combination many baseball players are afflicted with: pride and stupidity.

CTA513
06-12-2006, 12:51 PM

The Reds should have put him on the DL right away and brought someone else up. Now they will have 1 less person in the bullpen for how ever long Weathes is sitting on the bench.

:help:

dabvu2498
06-12-2006, 12:52 PM
The Reds should have put him on the DL right away and brought someone else up. Now they will have 1 less person in the bullpen for how ever long Weathes is sitting on the bench.

Come on... you're not excited about more work for Rick White???

SeeinRed
06-12-2006, 03:06 PM

Exactly what I thought. So what if he is only out for a few days. Give him the 15 days off, bring somebody up, and take it from there. 1. That gives him a rest, and lets face it, the Reds need him for later in the season if they are going to be a contender because there are no better options right now. Plus, he is an older player. That extra time can't hurt. 2. This bullpen is struggling right now. Why not bring someone up and see how they can do. I don't think that the bullpen is great, but they are certainly not as bad as they have been lately. That is where this team should look for additions at the trade deadline. But until then, you just need to get by.

On another note, whats the latest on Grant Balfour. I haven't heard anything for a long, long time. He may not even be with the Reds as far as I know, but he could help a little when he is healthy. The last I heard though, that wouldn't be until mid to late July at best, and the key words are in that sentence were could and if. Just a question I've been pondering.

flyer85
06-12-2006, 03:18 PM

:help:bring on those XXXXL pitchers named White and Yan.

KronoRed
06-12-2006, 03:26 PM
A hurt Weathers or Burns?

SeeinRed
06-12-2006, 03:36 PM
A hurt Weathers or Burns?

Hmm... Can weathers still use is left arm?:D

KronoRed
06-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Hmm... Can weathers still use is left arm?:D
Maybe, gotta be better then Burns ;)

dabvu2498
06-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Maybe, gotta be better then Burns ;)
Numb arm vs. no arm. Numb arm wins.

SeeinRed
06-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Numb arm vs. no arm. Numb arm wins.

Jim Abbott says hello

KronoRed
06-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Jim Abbott says hello
What's he doing these days?:D

dabvu2498
06-12-2006, 04:36 PM
What's he doing these days?:D
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/nyy/news/nyy_news.jsp?ymd=20041223&content_id=925598&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp

This article says he does motivational speeches.

saboforthird
06-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Jim Abbott says hello

That's not needed, either.

SeeinRed
06-12-2006, 09:07 PM
That's not needed, either.

I'm sorry, but your taking that way too serious. He had a great career. Its not a knock on him at all. If anything, I think he is one of the most amazing players in recent history. Most people would have never tried what he has done in his lifetime if they were put in the same position.

NastyBoy
06-13-2006, 01:53 AM
He will probably get a miracle shot of cortisone and some rehab.