PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle accident

Reds4Life
06-12-2006, 12:22 PM
http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_163114722.html

Jun 12, 2006 12:04 pm US/Eastern

Steelers: Big Ben Injured In Motorcycle Accident

(KDKA) PITTSBURGH -

The Pittsburgh Steelers have now confirmed that Ben Roethlisberger was injured in a motorcycle accident on Second Avenue, near the intersection with the 10th Street Bridge.

The accident happened around 11:30am.

According to an eyewitness, he was not wearing a helmet when he flew over the handlebars and hit his head on the windshield of a car. The witness tells KDKA he said his name was Ben and seemed groggy.

She says he was bleeding from his head.

He has been taken to Mercy Hospital.

At this point, officials are not yet commenting on the victim's condition.

The story is still breaking, more details to follow. One of the traffic cameras caught the accident on tape.

savafan
06-12-2006, 12:24 PM
According to an eyewitness, he was not wearing a helmet

stupid

savafan
06-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Accident scene video can be seen here:

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/9356067/detail.html

vaticanplum
06-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Apparently wearing a helmet is not dicatated by law in Pennsylvania, as it isn't in a lot of states these days. Someone was trying to tell me recently that not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is no more dangerous than not wearing one in a car. Given the exposure and the lack of an airbag, could someone please explain this to me?

captainmorgan07
06-12-2006, 12:42 PM
oh yes i live close to pittsburgh and it's splashed all over tv doesn't anybody remember jay williams or kellen winslow motorcycles and pro athletes do not mix

LoganBuck
06-12-2006, 12:45 PM
He was just on with the Two Angry Guys on 1360 Homer this morning. Yikes.

max venable
06-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Apparently wearing a helmet is not dicatated by law in Pennsylvania, as it isn't in a lot of states these days. Someone was trying to tell me recently that not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is no more dangerous than not wearing one in a car. Given the exposure and the lack of an airbag, could someone please explain this to me?
Some people reason that when you're going 35 m.p.h. or faster on a bike, a helmet doesn't help a lot anyway. I'll take my chances with a helmet. I ride, and here, in Ohio, helmets are not required..but I always wear one.

savafan
06-12-2006, 12:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2480830

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, who last season became the youngest quarterback in NFL history to lead his team to a Super Bowl title, was injured Monday morning and has been transported to a local hospital with head injuries of unspecified severity.

"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service, told The Associated Press.

Roethlisberger, the team's first-round choice in the 2004 draft, was transported to the trauma unit of nearby Mercy Hospital, a source confirmed for ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, but his condition is unknown.

Witnesses told authorities that the player's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.

Steelers officials have confirmed the accident, which occurred on Second Avenue near the intersection of 10th Street in Pittsburgh, around 11:30 a.m. The route is one often taken in traveling to the Steelers' facility in the Southside section of the city.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle.

In the wake of a motorcycle accident sustained by Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow last spring, Roethlisberger spoke about his own fixation with motorcycles, and his penchant for riding without a helmet. He was admonished by former Steelers quarterback and Hall of Fame member Terry Bradshaw for potentially jeopardizing his career.

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening.

One of his agents, Ryan Tollner, is in route to Pittsburgh for what was supposed to be a pre-planned trip and will arrive later Monday.

One witness told KDKA television that Roethlisberger was conscious but appeared disoriented before he was taken from the scene to Mercy Hospital.

A Steelers spokesman is at the hospital and confirmed Roethlisberger is being treated there, but wouldn't provide additional details.

redsfanfalcon
06-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Although it was stupid what he did, and I cannot stand the Steelers, best wishes to Ben in a full recovery.

redsrule2500
06-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Interesting - http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PIT/8449812

Was previously lectured by his coach...

smith288
06-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Its a personal choice thing and I agree that it shouldnt be mandated. Just a personal freedom thing like I dont want to wear one when I ride by bike through a neighborhood. Only I dont cross busy intersections like motorcyclists do.

Like smoking, its a personal health hazard that is stupid.

vaticanplum
06-12-2006, 01:15 PM
It sounds like not wearing a helmet was a point of his, almost a matter of pride. I don't ride motorcycles myself so I don't know what kind of a rush not wearing a helmet may give you but whatever, but the stupidity of this is mind-boggling. What a stupid thing to hold as a matter of pride. Something bad IS GOING to happen. The lack of logic astounds me.

Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to beat on the injured -- it's *precisely* the tragedy of the situation, that this is a promising kid threatening his career -- and, far more importantly, his life -- that makes the whole helmet thing so mind-bogglingly ridiculous.

Reds4Life
06-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Said he is in surgery at the moment, and is in serious but stable condition.

savafan
06-12-2006, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there is some swelling of the brain after slamming his head into the windshield of a car.

dabvu2498
06-12-2006, 01:34 PM
If bike helmets are not mandatory, why are seat belts?

I'm sorry to hear about Ben. Hopefully he'll be back in time for Sam Adams to get a shot at his knee on Sept. 24.

smith288
06-12-2006, 01:45 PM

I'm sorry to hear about Ben. Hopefully he'll be back in time for Sam Adams to get a shot at his knee on Sept. 24.
Good quesiton.....

$$$ - Nice little boon for local and state governements on those tickets.

Cigarettes are really bad for you but are legal. I think its mostly what the govt can make the most. With tobacco, its the sin taxes.

WVRed
06-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Difference is, I think Big Ben dodged a major bullet compared to Winslow and JDub. Unless something else is reported later, it doesnt sound like he has anything broken.

acredsfan
06-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Difference is, I think Big Ben dodged a major bullet compared to Winslow and JDub. Unless something else is reported later, it doesnt sound like he has anything broken.
Seeing that he is in surgery, my guess would be that there are plenty of things broken. They aren't going to worry about that until they get his head fixed though, so i'm sure he hasn't been though any xrays or anything of that nature.

traderumor
06-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Just wow. That is awful. And yes, I hate the Steelers, but not the players as people. Tragic. I hope he is OK.

Caveat Emperor
06-12-2006, 02:36 PM
I honestly thought Roethlisberger was smarter than this.

I feel awful to see him get injured like this -- but, at the same time, just have to marvel at the idiocy and immaturity of this kind of decision. He's a multi-millionaire and a Super Bowl champion in only his 2nd season of professional sports. If he keeps improving, he has the chance to become one of the best. To risk it all for a thrill is just mind boggling.

I hope for a speedy recovery and a great start to the season for him.

Roy Tucker
06-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Many players have clauses in their contracts specifically banning activities like riding a motorcycle.

In my misbegotten youth, I had to lay my motocycle down to avoid getting splattered by a 80 yr. old lady who didn't see me. My helmet-covered head bounced off a curb. My helmet got a big split in it. I got a mild concussion.

Yachtzee
06-12-2006, 02:51 PM
I think the real concern here might be for potential swelling of the brain. I seem to remember that Dennis Weathersby had that problem when he had his car accident, although I might be mistaken. I think one possible treatment is to remove a portion of the skull to relieve pressure, placing the removed piece in the abdomen to keep it supplied with blood until the swelling goes down.

I hope it's not that bad, but whatever it is, I suspect he's going to be handled with caution for a while. Head injuries can cause a lot of problems for a football player. I hope he's alright.

ochre
06-12-2006, 02:53 PM
updated info from that link:

According to a police source, Roethlisberger suffered a broken jaw, broke his left sinus cavity, suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost many teeth and has severe injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement.

A plastic surgeon has been called in, the source said.

registerthis
06-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Like smoking

No, it's not like smoking at all.

registerthis
06-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Good quesiton.....

It's easy--insurance. The greater number of people killed in auto accidents, the higher premiums go for everyone. Keeping people strapped in isn't simply a matter of personal safety, it also has financial consequences for everyone.

flyer85
06-12-2006, 02:59 PM
I guess he won't be a pretty boy anymore. I wonder if the joy of riding motorcycles without a helmet was all worth it (or riding them at all). There are way to many stupid drivers in cars out there for me, and the car is always going to win.

Also sounds like the Steelers could be in need of a QB for the fall.

LoganBuck
06-12-2006, 03:00 PM
ochre's quote doesn't sound like Ben will be playing anytime soon. Good luck with the rehab. Bengals fans try to take the high road with this one. Some Steelers fans took the low road with the Palmer thing, lets try to show some class as an example to those mouth breathers

smith288
06-12-2006, 03:05 PM
ochre's quote doesn't sound like Ben will be playing anytime soon. Good luck with the rehab. Bengals fans try to take the high road with this one. Some Steelers fans took the low road with the Palmer thing, lets try to show some class as an example to those mouth breathers
Bitin lip...

Danny Serafini
06-12-2006, 03:08 PM
How exactly do you break a sinus cavity?

Reds4Life
06-12-2006, 03:09 PM
How exactly do you break a sinus cavity?

By smashing your face into a windshield.

CTA513
06-12-2006, 03:11 PM

If he wore a helmet his face would not be in such bad condition.
He should be lucky that he didnt break his neck when he flew over the handle bars like someone I know.

smith288
06-12-2006, 03:11 PM
No, it's not like smoking at all.
Im saying its like smoking in that is a legal risk a person is taking. Not that bike riding without a helmet is the same as cigarette smoking. Both are pretty bad for your health but legal to do.

Joseph
06-12-2006, 03:12 PM

-rimshot-

registerthis
06-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Im saying its like smoking in that is a legal risk a person is taking. Not that bike riding without a helmet is the same as cigarette smoking. Both are pretty bad for your health but legal to do.

Ah, OK gotcha.

I actually wrote a paper while in college discussing why/how the U.S. could legally outlaw the production and purchasing of cigarettes. I think it was pretty convincing. :)

flyer85
06-12-2006, 03:16 PM
I actually wrote a paper while in college discussing why/how the U.S. could legally outlaw the production and purchasing of cigarettes. I think it was pretty convincing. :)... and the reason they won't is they can't live without all those tax dollars.

CTA513
06-12-2006, 03:16 PM

It seems like one Steeler fan wishes it was Palmer:

OH Stiller
(6/12/06 2:04 pm)

First of all, let's hope Ben is OK. Second, I am disappointed Ben's lack of judgement....he has a responsibility to himself AND the other players (think of the receivers they drafted to work WITH Ben). Third, too bad it wasn't Carson Palmer on that motorcycle.

Benihana
06-12-2006, 03:18 PM
according to www.pittsburghlive.com he has suffered serious injuries to both knees, a broken jaw, and lost most of his teeth. Terrible news, this could be the end of his football career.

Matt700wlw
06-12-2006, 03:18 PM

I plan on it, but it won't matter...Steeler fans are Steeler fans.

However, I can't be low and cold like them.

I wonder if Steeler fans believe in Karma? Sadly, this is what Karma can do. They celebrate Carson's leg getting snapped like a twig and laugh and mock.

They're not laughing now.

Neither am I.....I hope Ben makes a full recovery and has no long-term permanent damage from this.

flyer85
06-12-2006, 03:21 PM
according to www.pittsburghlive.com he has suffered serious injuries to both knees, a broken jaw, and lost most of his teeth. Terrible news, this could be the end of his football career.all for riding a motorcycle. Owning one and riding it on rural/country roads would be OK but it it is high risk to ride them in urban areas, they are too vulnerable and often hard to see as well.

Matt700wlw
06-12-2006, 03:22 PM
according to www.pittsburghlive.com he has suffered serious injuries to both knees, a broken jaw, and lost most of his teeth. Terrible news, this could be the end of his football career.

How's his thumb?

Sorry.....his knees were already not in the greatest shape. This won't help.

redsfan30
06-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Third, too bad it wasn't Carson Palmer on that motorcycle.
You stay classy, Pittsburgh.

Too bad...if his knees are in as bad a shape as it sounds, he's in definite big time trouble.

WVRed
06-12-2006, 03:26 PM

This won't be the end of his football career but it will certainly make things more interesting in the AFC North.

With Big Ben and Palmer recovering from serious injuries, the division is up for grabs. It was essentially the Steelers to lose, now they may be running Kerry Collins/Charlie Batch out for the first three weeks.

GullyFoyle
06-12-2006, 03:27 PM
I live in California and helmets are mandatory here. I had to give a lecture at Iowa State recently and couldn't believe the number of college students A) on motorcycles and B) without helmets. They were running around everywhere on them with their girlfriends on back, didn't see one with a helmet.

A number of my family members ride motorcycles and they all wear helmets. My personal reasoning is that just like in a car, you WILL have an accident at some point. When that accident occurs wouldn't you prefer having a helmet. My brother has an old helmet of his with the back side missing all its paint from his head running along the cement in a relatively mild accident.

WVRed
06-12-2006, 03:27 PM
It seems like one Steeler fan wishes it was Palmer:

Its fans like this that make me want to take the low road.:bang: :angry:

Danny Serafini
06-12-2006, 03:29 PM
all for riding a motorcycle. Owning one and riding it on rural/country roads would be OK but it it is high risk to ride them in urban areas, they are too vulnerable and often hard to see as well.

I know a few people who have raced motorcycles, both motocross and road racing. They all have said the same thing, they love to ride them, but none of them would ride one on the street. Too many stupid people not paying attention out there.

SeeinRed
06-12-2006, 03:31 PM
all for riding a motorcycle. Owning one and riding it on rural/country roads would be OK but it it is high risk to ride them in urban areas, they are too vulnerable and often hard to see as well.

I don't know. Hitting a deer at 55 mph can hurt. I also know a lot of people who have hit gravel, or something loose on the road and got dinged up pretty badly. You also have to remember that country roads have a lot of blind turns and hills, and people don't like to stay on their side of the road all the time. Riding a motorcycle is just inherently dangerous anywhere. I've done my share of riding, but if I was a professional athlete, I think I could give it up. I'm just sayin.

smith288
06-12-2006, 03:37 PM
So basically we have 24 yr old Ben Roethlisberger feeling like a 44 yr old Roethlisberger and looking like an 84 yr old.

GullyFoyle
06-12-2006, 03:41 PM
ESPN News just mentions broken jaw and interviews Post-Gazette reporter...

They think that the accident wont prevent him from playing this season...

smith288
06-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Pardon me as I take whatever ESPN says with a huge block of salt lick.

gonelong
06-12-2006, 03:45 PM
IMO this is bad news for football fans everywhere, similar to the situation with Palmer. With those 2 guys healthy the NFL had a nice shot at a 5-10 year rivalry of elite quarterbacks within the division. Everybody loses when these guys get injured so badly, IMO.

Get well Ben, get well Carson ... we'll leave the lights on for you.

GL

flyer85
06-12-2006, 03:46 PM
"soup is good food"

SeeinRed
06-12-2006, 03:49 PM

I see no way they can tell this early on. I'd say its one of those wait and see things. There is no need to rush a quarteback who is going to have an outstanding career.

Yachtzee
06-12-2006, 04:09 PM

I think it's a little too soon to make any prognoses. They should wait until they get an actual report from a doctor. Head injuries are nothing to mess around with, no matter how slight. The bad thing about it is that, from what I've heard in the past, even a single head injury can make a person more susceptible to future head injuries.

deltachi8
06-12-2006, 04:09 PM
I hope he just recovers. I could not care less if he plays again.

traderumor
06-12-2006, 04:11 PM
I think it's a little too soon to make any prognoses. They should wait until they get an actual report from a doctor. Head injuries are nothing to mess around with, no matter how slight. The bad thing about it is that, from what I've heard in the past, even a single head injury can make a person more susceptible to future head injuries.Wise words.

smith288
06-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Wise words.
Ones ESPN (and the main stream media in large part) dont take seriously enough.

TeamBoone
06-12-2006, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE from Pittsburgh board]

First of all, let's hope Ben is OK. Second, I am disappointed Ben's lack of judgement....he has a responsibility to himself AND the other players (think of the receivers they drafted to work WITH Ben). Third, too bad it wasn't Carson Palmer on that motorcycle.

This is a horrible tragedy and I hope he recovers to learn from his mistake.

That said, I had a dear friend killed on a motorcycle last year... in June as a matter of fact. He was wearing a helmet but it didn't help him when a new driver crossed the double line and hit him head on.

I hope I never have the displeasure of meeting anyone even remotely as tasteless as the person quoted above from the Pittsburgh board. I hope others on that board don't share his particular lack of character.

WVRed
06-12-2006, 04:27 PM
This is a horrible tragedy and I hope he recovers to learn from his mistake.

That said, I had a dear friend killed on a motorcycle last year... in June as a matter of fact. He was wearing a helmet but it didn't help him when a new driver crossed the double line and hit him head on.

I hope I never have the displeasure of meeting anyone even remotely as tasteless as the person quoted above from the Pittsburgh board. I hope others on that board don't share his particular lack of character.

From Bengals Insider.

After listening to Stooler's fans laugh about Carson's injury for the past months, I could care less. Karma.

"Screaming for vengeance"!!!! SEE YA BEN!!!

deltachi8
06-12-2006, 04:28 PM
TB - Unfortunately, there are always a few bone headed backward thinking (insert your favorite expletive here) folks areound many message boards. One great thing about Redszone is they usually cant be found here or quickly disappear when they are found. I think football message boards, IMHO, tend to be worse.

That being said, most of what I have read today has been positive, and I have to say that many of my fellow Steeler fans have wished the best for Palmer in his recovery as they know wheat he means to the Bengals, the city and the game as a whole.

I stated above, I really dont care if he plays again, I just hope he s OK. Unfortunately, the risks of riding his bike caught up with Ben. It could have been ALOT worse, and for that, I am sure he is thankful.

WMR
06-12-2006, 04:35 PM
A Bengals fan less classy than myself would say karma is a *****

RedFanAlways1966
06-12-2006, 04:40 PM
I hope all turns out well for Ben. Football is just a game. Life and limb are the important thing. As a Bengals fan, I want to play PITT w/ Ben. That is the way it should be.

Don't let a few jerks get ya upset. For every jerk there are at least a hundred others hoping all end's well for Ben. Whether they are from CLEVE, CINN, BALT, INDY or wherever. Loud-mouths are always heard, but should always be ignored.

This Bengals fan and caring person hopes Ben is ready for PITT's 1st game.

harangatang
06-12-2006, 04:59 PM
I hope all turns out well for Ben. Football is just a game. Life and limb are the important thing. As a Bengals fan, I want to play PITT w/ Ben. That is the way it should be.

Don't let a few jerks get ya upset. For every jerk there are at least a hundred others hoping all end's well for Ben. Whether they are from CLEVE, CINN, BALT, INDY or wherever. Loud-mouths are always heard, but should always be ignored.

This Bengals fan and caring person hopes Ben is ready for PITT's 1st game.
Well said and I agree. As much as I dislike the Steelers I hope Big Ben recovers and plays football at full strength again.

saboforthird
06-12-2006, 05:23 PM

I'm sure motorcycle helmets will soon be required, but in my opinion seatbelts in vehicles are required for only one reason: it saves insurance companies a TON of money. Sure, it's in the name of "protecting our drivers", but don't believe it for a second. Insurance companies are in bed with Congress.

saboforthird
06-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Good quesiton.....

$$$ - Nice little boon for local and state governements on those tickets.

Cigarettes are really bad for you but are legal. I think its mostly what the govt can make the most. With tobacco, its the sin taxes.

Well, I did say that I thought that insurance companies (and the money they save when accidents aren't as severe as they would be without seatbelts) are the culprit as to why seatbelts are required, but you listed a very good reason, too. I'm just sick of government (and those they are in bed with) masquerading their attempts to make a buck (or save a buck) in the name of "we care about you".

registerthis
06-12-2006, 06:08 PM
I'm sure motorcycle helmets will soon be required, but in my opinion seatbelts in vehicles are required for only one reason: it saves insurance companies a TON of money.

...which also saves DRIVERS money, because when the insurance companies are paying out, who do you think ultimately picks up the tab?

Fewer people dying = less paid out by insurance companies = lower premiums for drivers = seat belt laws.

max venable
06-12-2006, 06:16 PM
The other car was driven by a 62-year-old woman, with Ohio license plates that read WHODEY, police said. They didn't immediately release her name and no charges were filed. :thumbup:

remdog
06-12-2006, 07:17 PM
The other car was driven......Ohio license plates that read WHODEY...

You are kiddung me, right!?! Oh, the irony! :eek:

I wonder how Cowther would take that.

Rem

GAC
06-12-2006, 07:24 PM
He wears a helmet playing football, but not while riding a motorcycle.

Smart.... real smart.

I hope he is gonna be OK.

saboforthird
06-12-2006, 07:33 PM
...which also saves DRIVERS money, because when the insurance companies are paying out, who do you think ultimately picks up the tab?

Fewer people dying = less paid out by insurance companies = lower premiums for drivers = seat belt laws.

My argument has nothing to do with how the drivers fare financially from this seat belt law. There is no cause/effect between premiums being lower and having to wear a seat belt.

Yachtzee
06-12-2006, 07:53 PM
My argument has nothing to do with how the drivers fare financially from this seat belt law. There is no cause/effect between premiums being lower and having to wear a seat belt.

Well, if you get into an accident and the insurance company finds out you weren't wearing a seatbelt, I would say there's a good chance your premiums will go up, even if you didn't cause the accident. Insurance companies like to reward drivers who engage in safe behavior.

Regardless of how you feel about seatbelts/helmets, smart money says "wear them." For those who don't want to, please make sure you've filled out your organ donor card.

SeeinRed
06-12-2006, 09:23 PM

As registerthis said, the less insurance companies pay out, the less they have to charge. Don't get me wrong, they want to turn a profit too, and the insurance companies are some of the hardest lobbiers around, but its simple economics. The less money you have to pay out, the less money you have to make. Again, I see your point that insurance companies make more money because of it, and I'm not saying its right, but remember they have to show their accounting records too. If there is any serious evidence of insurance companies just pocketing your money, you'd know about it. Everyone is out to get the insurance companies.

GullyFoyle
06-12-2006, 11:45 PM
If people don't want to wear seat belts or helmets or if they want to smoke they should be forced to sign waivers saying they will not pull from public and private resources when it goes bad. They shouldn't be allowed to drive up my insurance premiums and health care costs.

Freedom of choice is fine, they can be stupid, but not if I have to subsidize it.

TeamBoone
06-13-2006, 12:09 AM
People who have accidents pay higher premiums for auto insurance as do smokers for health/life insurance.

cincinnati chili
06-13-2006, 12:40 AM
"a rugged-looking white man with curly hair on his motorcycle"

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06163/697655-66.stm

I hope he fully recovers physically and mentally.

macro
06-13-2006, 01:14 AM
In my misbegotten youth, I had to lay my motocycle down to avoid getting splattered by a 80 yr. old lady who didn't see me. My helmet-covered head bounced off a curb. My helmet got a big split in it. I got a mild concussion.

I have a similar story, Roy. One day I came into a curve and met a car on my side of the road and took the ditch. My helmet-covered head bounced off the asphalt, and I will never forget the sound and feeling of that.

WMR
06-13-2006, 01:50 AM
How severe are the knee injuries? Football-wise, that could be the most difficult aspect of his accident. For some strange reason, I'm thinking of Tom Cruise and Michael Rooker in their infamous wheelchair race as they leave the hospital. Different locations, I know Carson rehabs elsewhere and doesn't use a wheelchair, but maybe Carson could transfer and have a little competition. Nice little wheelchair race to get the fans ready for the season. ;)

I'm picking my man Carson in the Wheelchair race. Judging by the pics I've seen with Ben, a cute nurse could derail him at any time. ;)

savafan
06-13-2006, 02:01 AM
Reds outfielder says he always wears helmet while motorcycling

http://www.wane.com/Global/story.asp?S=5021670&nav=0RYd

CINCINNATI Cincinnati Reds outfielder Adam Dunn intently watched a T-V news report today on the injuries sustained by Ben Roethlisberger (RAHTH'-lihs-bur-gur), who was hit by a car while riding his motorcycle in Pittsburgh.
The Steelers quarterback, an Ohio native, suffered a broken jaw and nose. He wasn't wearing a helmet.

Dunn rides a motorcycle but takes precautions when he hits the road to try to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen to him.

Dunn says he'd never ride without a helmet and he'd never ride by myself. He says he doesn't go riding with fewer than ten people.

Dunn used to ride his motorcycle during the season, but now limits himself to the offseason.

CTA513
06-13-2006, 02:20 AM
Reds outfielder says he always wears helmet while motorcycling

http://www.wane.com/Global/story.asp?S=5021670&nav=0RYd

CINCINNATI Cincinnati Reds outfielder Adam Dunn intently watched a T-V news report today on the injuries sustained by Ben Roethlisberger (RAHTH'-lihs-bur-gur), who was hit by a car while riding his motorcycle in Pittsburgh.
The Steelers quarterback, an Ohio native, suffered a broken jaw and nose. He wasn't wearing a helmet.

Dunn rides a motorcycle but takes precautions when he hits the road to try to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen to him.

Dunn says he'd never ride without a helmet and he'd never ride by myself. He says he doesn't go riding with fewer than ten people.

Dunn used to ride his motorcycle during the season, but now limits himself to the offseason.

Maybe Dunn really broke his hand last year falling off his bike?

;)

creek14
06-13-2006, 08:01 AM
A few years ago I got creek jr a Griffey jersey. A couple months later he tore his hammy.

Before the playoffs last season I got him a Carson Palmer jersey. We know how that turned out.

Two weeks ago I bought him a Roethlisberger jersey for his birthday. Now look where Ben is.

Hmmmm, maybe I should buy him a Bonds jersey...

It'll be a cold day in hell before he ever gets a Dunn jersey.

RedFanAlways1966
06-13-2006, 08:08 AM
creek... :laugh:

Dom Heffner
06-13-2006, 09:19 AM
creek, please get him a Polamalu jersey and then a Joey Porter one.

And then I would just go down the entire Steeler starting lineup from there.

Get him a Bill Cowher one as well.

WVRed
06-13-2006, 09:43 AM
creek, please get him a Polamalu jersey and then a Joey Porter one.

And then I would just go down the entire Steeler starting lineup from there.

Get him a Bill Cowher one as well.

Ray Lewis, Jamal Lewis, Ed Reed, Brian Billick....

While we are at it, maybe you could squeeze out a Peyton Manning and Tom Brady jersey as well.:)

GAC
06-13-2006, 09:48 AM
A few years ago I got creek jr a Griffey jersey. A couple months later he tore his hammy.

Before the playoffs last season I got him a Carson Palmer jersey. We know how that turned out.

Two weeks ago I bought him a Roethlisberger jersey for his birthday. Now look where Ben is.

Hmmmm, maybe I should buy him a Bonds jersey...

It'll be a cold day in hell before he ever gets a Dunn jersey.

Id say get him a jersey with this guy on it then. I know it would make alot on here happy. ;)

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/frick_bios/images/brennaman_marty.jpg

Chip R
06-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Obviously this was a stupid thing Ben did. I am not really in favor of laws mandating seatbelt use or helmet use. I think it's a great idea to wear a seatbelt and a helmet when on a motorcycle but I don't want to legislate personal behavior.

That said, I have a pretty good idea why Ben continued to ride a motorcycle even though the Steelers asked him not to. It's the adreneline rush. Athletes who compete at a high level need that adreneline fix they usually get by playing in their games. When they aren't playing, they turn to something else that has an edge to it like riding motorcycles. Riding without a helmet increases the danger and gives you a bigger rush. He's also at that age where he thinks he's invincible. You don't always show the best judgement at that age.

GullyFoyle
06-13-2006, 11:18 AM
People who have accidents pay higher premiums for auto insurance as do smokers for health/life insurance.

Those additional premiums don't cover the expense differences. If someone ends up in a coma, then their insurance premiums won't cover the costs. They difference is made up with other people's premiums, tax dollars and burdening their loved ones. Major accidents pull police officers and doctors away from other work. A smoker who comes down with cancer costs the healthcare system much more than what their insurance covers (see the states suing the tobacco companies to recoup losses).

It takes discipline, money and time, to take care of yourself and it just irks me when other people make stupid choices in the name of freedom and then others with the discipline and forethought have to shoulder the responsibility for their choices. (for example Ben's teammates on the Steelers...)

Freedom is fine, just be prepared to shoulder the responsibilities... and most aren't. In which case take the freedom away (helmet and seat belt laws).

dabvu2498
06-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Statistics seen on last night Channel 5 newscast regarding University Hospital Head Trauma Unit:

Wearing a helmet, 9% of motorcycle accidents result in serious head injuries.
No helmet, 49%.

Of the serious motorcycle accidents, about 50% of their riders did not have personal injury insurance.

Now, I'm all for personal liberty and not legislating the heck out of stuff... but I also know who ends up paying the bills. And it's not the CEO of State Farm.

WVRed
06-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Turns out now he didnt have a license.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2482306

Ben Roethlisberger might have been riding without a license to drive a motorcycle when he was involved in an accident Monday.

Pittsburgh television station KDKA reported Tuesday that police are checking whether the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback had a license.

Ben Roethlisberger's wrecked bike
AP Photo/Keith Srakocic
Roethlisberger was riding this motorcycle when he collided with an automobile in Pittsburgh on Monday morning.

Sources told the TV station that Roethlisberger had a license to operate a car but has never had a Pennsylvania motorcycle license.

Roethlisberger had a learner's permit to operate a motorcycle that expired March 29 but had never taken the written and driving tests for a motorcycle license, a source told KDKA.

Pittsburgh police spokeswoman Tammy Ewin told the station that police would "have no comment on licensing issues" until after the accident investigation.

Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, had surgery Monday after breaking his jaw and nose in a motorcycle crash.

Roethlisberger remained in serious but stable condition after seven hours of surgery, according to Dr. Daniel Pituch, chief of oral and maxillofacial surgery at Mercy Hospital.

"He suffered multiple facial fractures," Pituch said. "All of the fractures were successfully repaired. His brain, spine, chest and abdomen appear to be without serious injury. And there are no other confirmed injuries at this time."

The doctors declined to release further information at the family's request.

ESPN.com's John Clayton confirmed that Roethlisberger also suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, has lost or chipped a number of teeth and has minor injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement.

Roethlisberger, 24, was not wearing a helmet, police said. He has said he likes to ride without one, a habit that once prompted a lecture from Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher.

In May 2005, Cowher warned him about safe riding after Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.

Roethlisberger has pointed out a Pennsylvania state law requiring helmets was amended in September 2003 to make helmets optional.

dabvu2498
06-13-2006, 03:22 PM

In most states that don't have helmet laws, they still require riders with "learner's permits" to wear them. I wouldn't know where to find PA's laws regarding that.

max venable
06-13-2006, 04:17 PM

Another case of athletes assuming laws and common sense stuff doesn't apply to them?

dabvu2498
06-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Another case of athletes assuming laws and common sense stuff doesn't apply to them?
From my experience in the legal profession, insert "humans" for "athletes" and you're right.

vaticanplum
06-13-2006, 04:24 PM
From my experience in the legal profession, insert "humans" for "athletes" and you're right.

Yes. And you could also substitute "kids" for "athletes" and "mortality" for "laws and common sense".

registerthis
06-13-2006, 04:56 PM

You're right, you got it reversed--there IS a cause/effect between seat belts being worn and lower premiums, as well as less money spent on emergency response services, less on medicare and medicaid, and lower risk of people thrown from vehicles becoming projectiles in the event of a crash.

For evidence, I submit this (http://www.nsc.org/partners/costs.htm#2) and this (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3737/is_199901/ai_n8845721). It's not simply a matter of personal choice, it affects everyone.

Reds Fanatic
06-13-2006, 05:21 PM
His condition has been upgraded to fair and he may be released by sometime this weekend.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2482701

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger could be released from the hospital in three to five days after the Steelers' quarterback was thrown from his motorcycle without a helmet and left with a mild concussion and multiple facial fractures.

His condition was upgraded Tuesday to fair, and doctors said the Super Bowl star fractured his upper and lower jaw bones and broke his nose. He also sustained head lacerations in addition to losing two teeth and chipping several others.

"His brain is functioning normally," said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital. He said added Roethlisberger was "alert and awake" and with his family.

The 24-year-old player was riding his black 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, a powerful bike, when he collided with a car late Monday morning, police said.

Roethlisberger, who became the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl title in February, initially was listed in serious but stable condition before and after seven hours of surgery Monday.

Nobody has been cited in the crash and police will not release information until an accident reconstruction is complete, police spokeswoman Tammy Ewin said.

Pittsburgh television station KDKA reported Tuesday that police are checking whether the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback had a license.

Sources told the TV station that Roethlisberger had a license to operate a car but has never had a Pennsylvania motorcycle license.

Roethlisberger was not wearing a helmet when he crashed and says he prefers not to wear one. Pennsylvania's law requiring motorcycle helmets was repealed in 2003.

In May 2005, Cowher warned him about safe riding after Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.

TeamBoone
06-13-2006, 05:48 PM
If you have a learner's permit, isn't someone supposed to be riding with you?

Also, didn't he say he never rides alone? Where were the others?

Also, I'm unclear from the article whether or not it was his fault. It sounds like the driver of the automobile turned into his path as he was riding through the intersection, but I'm not sure.

Regardless, I wish him a speedy recovery.

SeeinRed
06-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Didn't see this link in here anywhere, but if it is, I apologize. Cincinnati.com has set up a way to leave a comment that will, from what I can tell, be sent to Ben at some point. There are a few there, but I know that some of you would probably like to send your thoughts. Click Here (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/comments/threadView.asp?threadid=137)

Heres to a speedy recovery:beerme:

macro
06-13-2006, 11:15 PM
One thing I have not seen mentioned in any of the articles and have not heard mentioned on television at all is that Roethlisberger is the youngest starting quarterback to ever lead his team to a Super Bowl victory.

Okay, I'm being sarcastic. ;)

Yachtzee
06-13-2006, 11:29 PM
One thing I have not seen mentioned in any of the articles and have not heard mentioned on television at all is that Roethlisberger is the youngest starting quarterback to ever lead his team to a Super Bowl victory.

Okay, I'm being sarcastic. ;)

But is his thumb okay? :evil:

MWM
06-14-2006, 10:37 AM
If you have a learner's permit, isn't someone supposed to be riding with you?

Also, didn't he say he never rides alone? Where were the others?

Also, I'm unclear from the article whether or not it was his fault. It sounds like the driver of the automobile turned into his path as he was riding through the intersection, but I'm not sure.

Regardless, I wish him a speedy recovery.

In most states, a learner's permit only means you can't ride at night and you can't ride with a passenger (I should know I got pulled over once when I had a learner's permit and got ticketed for having a passenger). In some states, including Ohio, it also means you have to wear a helmet. Once you have a full license, a helmet is optional, but eye protection must be worn.

macro
06-14-2006, 10:47 AM
In some states, including Ohio, it also means you have to wear a helmet. Once you have a full license, a helmet is optional, but eye protection must be worn.

Someone posted the Pennsylvania law on a Bengals board, and that is the case there, as well. He didn't have a valid permit, let alone license, so by law, he should have been wearing a helmet. I'm sure that's the least of his worries, but as many here like to say, just sayin'...

westofyou
06-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Once you go over the handlebars you'll always wear a helmet, renders the debate moot.

If folks want to go Gallagher on their noggin then it's gonna happen one way or another. Many famous last moments in life start with this statement, "Hey look at me"

Riding without a helmet is a "Hey look at me" moment if there ever was one.

TeamBoone
06-14-2006, 04:09 PM
There is no helmet law in Ohio. Being originally from NY, it still astounds me to have helmet-less cyclists blow by me on the the interstates... and I tend to have a bit of a lead foot. I'm guessing that would still astound me even if they wore helmets!

Foolish, just flat out foolish.

max venable
06-14-2006, 04:41 PM
from a July 2005 interview...

ESPN: I assume you have your license?
Roethlisberger: Yes. ;)

ESPN: It's not the law in Pennsylvania to wear a helmet. Why don't you wear a helmet?
Roethlisberger: Because you don't have to. It's not the law. If it was the law, I'd definitely have one on every time I rode.

Notice he didn't say that about having a license. Also, I recently got my license in Ohio, and while there's no helmet law, the exam station told me that it was mandatory to wear a helmet at all times for my first year. Don't know if that's true in PA, but it makes sense that it would be.

Yachtzee
06-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Sign at my Doctor's office: "Helmets are cheap, brains are expensive. If only Ben had read this."

Of course today I was behind a motorcyclist who was driving down the road with his helmet...on the back of his seat.

macro
06-15-2006, 10:56 PM
Now that it appears that Roethlisberger is going to be all right, I hope it's not inappropriate to post this. I saw it at the Bengals Huddles site...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-9/1075688/whohitbencopy.gif

BuckWoody
06-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Now that it appears that Roethlisberger is going to be all right, I hope it's not inappropriate to post this. I saw it at the Bengals Huddles site...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-9/1075688/whohitbencopy.gif
Well, as long as Ben will be OK I'll go ahead..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've seen some photoshops along the same lines from stealers fans about Palmer's injury so all's fair, I guess.

max venable
06-16-2006, 09:27 AM
From espn.com:

Ben Roethlisberger apologized to the Pittsburgh Steelers, fans and his family on Thursday, hours after being released from a hospital, saying he was fortunate to be alive and pledging to wear a helmet if he ever again rides a motorcycle.

Ya think?

He said this, too:

I was confident in my ability to ride a motorcycle and simply believed such an accident would not happen to me.

Carson Palmer had this to say:

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer said those criticizing Roethlisberger for not wearing a helmet should back off.

"He went through seven hours of surgery and the last thing he needs right now is guys banging on him for not wearing a helmet," Palmer said at Bengals' minicamp in Cincinnati. "People are knocking him for not wearing a helmet and all of that, but the guy is hurting,"

Carson = classiness

Chip R
06-16-2006, 09:35 AM
From espn.com:

Ben Roethlisberger apologized to the Pittsburgh Steelers, fans and his family on Thursday, hours after being released from a hospital, saying he was fortunate to be alive and pledging to wear a helmet if he ever again rides a motorcycle.

I would hope Ben gives serious thought about riding a motorcycle again.

puca
06-17-2006, 05:12 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention this, but it is just possible that not wearing a helmet saved Ben's career. It is hard to say exactly how and to what degree, but the lack of a helmet changed the dynamics of the collision. As it was his face absorbed some of the force of the collision, who knows, but if he were wearing a helmet that force may have resulted in a more violent torque on his neck. I am not saying anyone should drive without a helmet, but seeing the crash scene and the dents in the windshield and hood the injuries he sustained might represent a best case scenerio for Ben.

Yachtzee
06-17-2006, 05:28 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention this, but it is just possible that not wearing a helmet saved Ben's career. It is hard to say exactly how and to what degree, but the lack of a helmet changed the dynamics of the collision. As it was his face absorbed some of the force of the collision, who knows, but if he were wearing a helmet that force may have resulted in a more violent torque on his neck. I am not saying anyone should drive without a helmet, but seeing the crash scene and the dents in the windshield and hood the injuries he sustained might represent a best case scenerio for Ben.

I have yet to hear anyone bring that up. Did you hear that from a medical professional?

max venable
06-17-2006, 05:45 PM
I have yet to hear anyone bring that up. Did you hear that from a medical professional?
Yeah, I think it's the same quack selling those "Natural Cures " books on the informercial.

Dom Heffner
06-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Foolish, just flat out foolish.

If one wants to be foolish at one's own expense, I say let them.

It reminds me of what my uncle said about legalizing prostitution: "If someone wants to go to hell, they should be allowed to."

If all things stupid were outlawed, the government would be put out of business.

TeamBoone
06-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Has anyone heard yet who's fault it was?

Yachtzee
06-17-2006, 10:00 PM
If one wants to be foolish at one's own expense, I say let them.

It reminds me of what my uncle said about legalizing prostitution: "If someone wants to go to hell, they should be allowed to."

If all things stupid were outlawed, the government would be put out of business.

The problem is, that kind of foolishness (riding without a helmet) comes and more than just the rider's expense. If the rider is severely injured, the automotive/motorcycle insurance co. that has to pay is going to recoup losses as a result of these kind of accidents somehow. If they raise it just for motorcyclists, they run the risk of more motorcyclists going without insurance, which then puts the burden on those who don't ride motorcycles. So they're likely to spread the burden out by raising rates on everyone. And lets not forget medical insurance. Those insurers aren't going to just eat the loss when some motorcyclist gets put in a coma and they have to pay out the maximum benefit. They'll charge it back to other people who need medical insurance. And when the insurers reach their max payout, the state is going to have to pick up the tab. I think Gullyfoyle already outlined those costs.

If we could isolate the damage caused by helmetless riders so that only they have to bear the cost of their foolishness, then I say let them ride. But when I have to foot the bill for their stupidity, I say put the freaking helmet on the head.

When it comes down to it, driving a car or riding a motorcycle is not a right, it is a privilege granted upon the holder of a valid driver's license. This privilege can be revoked at any time. Just as the state can require operators of motor vehicles to have operating turn signals, they can require motorcyclists to wear helmets.

puca
06-18-2006, 08:12 AM

No, I came up with that one on my own. But I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Probably the helmet would have absorbed the same (or more) impact that his face did, but you never know. I am just amazed that his injuries were not more severe. He is one lucky man.

puca
06-18-2006, 08:15 AM

I believe the lady driving the car was ticketed for failure to yeild. By reports Ben was driving straight through the intersection and the car turned left into his path. Supposedly Ben was not speeding.

DropDocK
06-19-2006, 01:13 PM

Fox Sports News had a blurb that Ben will be cited for having an expired learners permit (he does not have a motorcycle license) and not wearing a helmet. Apparently unless you have a valid motorcycle license in Pennsylvania you are required to wear a helmet.

deltachi8
06-19-2006, 03:39 PM

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06170/699469-100.stm

Woman cited in crash; Big Ben cited for helmet, permit
Monday, June 19, 2006

By Jonathan D. Silver, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pittsburgh police today announced that a woman involved in last week's accident with Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger failed to yield the right of way when she made a left turn in front of his motorcycle.

The woman, whose name was not released by police but who was previously identified as Martha Fleishman, 62, of Squirrel Hill, will be cited, with the fine usually set at $106.50, said police accident investigation Officer Dan Connolly.

Roethlisberger will be cited for failure to have a permit to operate a motorcycle. He also will be cited for failure to wear a helmet, which is required for motorcyclists who have not completed a safety course or who have not completed two years operating a motorcycle with a valid license.

He faces fines totaling $388, Connolly said.

Roethlisberger and Fleishman crashed on Second Avenue at the 10th Street Bridge last Monday. Connolly said the car ahead of Fleishman's turned on a yellow turning arrow but there was no arrow by the time she made the left turn. Both drivers had green lights, which means she had to yield to Roethlisberger, Connolly said. He added that Roethlisberger was traveling 35 mph in a zone with a posted 35 mph speed limit.

Roethlisberger had extensive facial injuries and spent several days in Mercy Hospital.

Police Chief Dominic Costa said police did not want to identify the driver because she has received several threats by telephone. Police are investigating.

And who ever thretened the lady needs to get a life. Its FOOTBALL folks...get real.

Chip R
06-19-2006, 04:28 PM

It's Bob Boone's fault, of course. ;)

RBA
06-19-2006, 04:55 PM
from a July 2005 interview...

ESPN: I assume you have your license?
Roethlisberger: Yes. ;)

ESPN: It's not the law in Pennsylvania to wear a helmet. Why don't you wear a helmet?
Roethlisberger: Because you don't have to. It's not the law. If it was the law, I'd definitely have one on every time I rode.

Notice he didn't say that about having a license. Also, I recently got my license in Ohio, and while there's no helmet law, the exam station told me that it was mandatory to wear a helmet at all times for my first year. Don't know if that's true in PA, but it makes sense that it would be.

Well, the ESPN interviewer only asked if he had a license. Noticed, he did not ask, "Do you Mr Roethlisber of the Pittsburgh Steelers' Football organization have a valid Pennsylvania Motorcycle license?"

This is just more sloppy questioning by the lazy media. Now Roethilsber can say he meant he had a license to drive a Malibu Grand Prix go-cart.

TeamBoone
06-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Talk about sleezy writing, check this one out.

It was the other driver's fault, as clearly stated througout the article (no, that does not deserve death threats). However, IMHO, the article is slanted against Roethlisberger because instead of saying she ran into him, it cleary states in two places that he ran into her. Perhaps I'm being nit picky but that's the way it reads to me.

I never ever dreamed I'd be sticking up for Ben Roethlisberger, but I like to think I'm fair and didn't like the tone of this article.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Roethlisberger to Be Cited for No Helmet
The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did not have a valid motorcycle license when he crashed into a woman's car last week, and the driver — who will be cited for failing to yield — has received threatening phone calls.

Roethlisberger will be issued $388 in fines and fees for riding without a license and not wearing a helmet, police Collision Investigator Dan Connolly said Monday. Only licensed motorcyclists are allowed to ride bareheaded in Pennsylvania, with certain restrictions.

The Super Bowl champion quarterback rammed his Suzuki Hayabusa into a woman's Chrysler New Yorker on June 12 when she was making a left turn in front of him. Both had the green light.

Roethlisberger underwent seven hours of surgery to repair broken jaws and other facial bones. Tests showed no brain injuries, although he had a mild concussion; he also lost two teeth and chipped several others.

The woman, who will be cited for failing to yield to oncoming traffic, has received threatening phone calls since the accident, Police Chief Dominic Costa said. She filed a police report and the calls were being investigated.

Roethlisberger was traveling at the speed limit a posted 35 mph zone, but he braked and hit the car at a slower speed, he said, and there were no mechanical problems with either vehicle. Both will be sent summary citations.

To obtain a motorcycle license in Pennsylvania, riders must first get a learner's permit, which requires a $10 fee, a vision screening and a written test. The permit is valid for one year, during which a road test must be passed to obtain a full motorcycle license.

Only after two years of possessing a valid license is riding without a helmet allowed; that restriction is waived if the rider takes an approved safety course.

Police did not have any contact with Steelers officials during the investigation, Connolly said.

"This was no different than any other crash," Connolly said. "We found our determinations and determined that the parties needed to be cited and that's what we're doing."

In an interview with ESPN radio Monday morning, coach Bill Cowher said there is no way of knowing what effect Roethlisberger's injuries would have his playing ability.

"That's the thing we have to be very sensitive to and we have to make sure that we monitor — and we'll do that," Cowher said. "We'll work with the doctors. We'll talk to him."

He did not criticize Roethlisberger for not wearing a helmet, something he had done last year.

"I think it would be very unfair, and I think it's really irrelevant, to be judgmental about the accident itself," Cowher said.

"Sometimes with the lessons of life, you have to get knocked down before you get back up," Cowher said. "He's just very fortunate. This was one of those lessons that could have been devastating. It could have been a very tragic story."

Roethlisberger was discharged Wednesday night from Mercy Hospital and apologized to the team, his fans and family in a statement. He also said that he would wear a helmet if he rode motorcycle again.

Police on Monday declined to reveal the name of the driver of the car, citing the threats. She has been identified in published reports as Martha Fleishman, 62, of Pittsburgh. Her husband, Martin Fleishman, has said she felt terrible about the accident.

http://broadband.zoomtown.com/news/read.php?ps=1013&id=14174148&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCL1_UNEWS

remdog
06-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Actually, the article is correct. If you saw the photos of the accident you see that the front of the motorcycle hit the passenger side of the car slightly behind the wheel well. Egro, the motorcycle (driven by Roethlisberger) ran into the car, not the other way around.

The other driver may have caused the accident but, technically, the motorcycle did hit the car. :dunno

Rem