PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again...

VI_RedsFan
06-12-2006, 05:08 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/rumors

It's at the top of the rumors section. Why are all these Griffey rumors coming up now?! We are in contention. Why in hell would it make sense to trade Junior now?

reds44
06-12-2006, 05:14 PM
So who has ESPN insider.

And again depending who we get I am by no means opposed to trading Junior.

jimbo
06-12-2006, 05:22 PM
From the ESPN Insider....MLB Rumor Central:

Junior to the South Side?
Jun 12 - With a gaping hole in center field, will the White Sox consider pursuing Ken Griffey Jr. again to play center field in the coming weeks?

Well, money apparently won't be an object for the White Sox, according to a report in the Chicago Sun-Times. Griffey is still owed $35 million through the end of the 2008 season.

But health could be an issue as Griifey has spent parts (big and small) of the last six seasons on the disabled list with an assortment of injuries.

KronoRed
06-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Wayne won't trade JR while in the race, I doubt he'd be allowed even if JR Ok'd it.

edabbs44
06-12-2006, 05:25 PM
The rumor is if the White Sox will pursue a trade for Jr...not if the Reds are going to be in fire sale mode. Let's not get paranoid.

NewEraReds
06-12-2006, 05:40 PM
should have moved him last year in the deal the sox "supposedly" offered the reds

griffeyfreak4
06-12-2006, 05:43 PM
I don't know where this rumor is coming from. I haven't heard it anywhere but here, and over on Sox board, this is the only thread they have about it. (And it was started by some guy just wondering, not when he heard a rumor)

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72582

It doesn't seem like anyone wanted him...........

Mario-Rijo
06-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Just a side note here, but it plays into the rumor more than anything.

Enough already: There was no talk between Guillen and general manager Kenny Williams concerning Brian Anderson's immediate future, as of Guillen's pregame interview session, although the two met in Guillen's office prior to the game. But Guillen made it clear he had reached his fill this week of questions regarding the rookie center fielder.

"I told the kid, 'Can you please start playing good because I'm tired of people asking about you?'" said Guillen of Anderson, who was in the starting lineup Friday. "If you play good, I don't have to talk about you. If you play bad, I'm not gonna talk about you, but you're not going to be here."

The 24 yr old Andersen is currently batting .163 w/ .257 OBP and .295 Slg%.
5 Hr's 15 RBI in 129 ab's.

Jr's Boy
06-12-2006, 06:28 PM
In essence what these scribes believe is the Reds are nothing and that the only thing that matters are the major market teams i.e.Bosox,Chisox,Yankees.But it's Espn so no wonder.

VI_RedsFan
06-12-2006, 07:10 PM
The rumor is if the White Sox will pursue a trade for Jr...not if the Reds are going to be in fire sale mode. Let's not get paranoid.

Yeah, you're right. I did get a little paranoid. I forgot about Junior's 10-5 rights for a second. I'm sure he would reject any trade to any team right now because we are playing so well. Now let's go out and get some pitching so we can STAY in it Kriv!!

We shouldn't read much into these Jr. to the Yanks/Sox rumors anyway. ESPN just has such a big bias on large market teams. It still bewilders me that they pay ZERO attention to the Reds and focus on the Yankees more, eventhough the Reds are doing 10 times better than NY. They just hate the thought of a player like Griffey playing on a small market team. They would rather see him playing on one of the "big" teams like NY or BOS. Good grief...

reds44
06-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah, you're right. I did get a little paranoid. I forgot about Junior's 10-5 rights for a second. I'm sure he would reject any trade to any team right now because we are playing so well. Now let's go out and get some pitching so we can STAY in it Kriv!!

We shouldn't read much into these Jr. to the Yanks/Sox rumors anyway. ESPN just has such a big bias on large market teams. It still bewilders me that they pay ZERO attention to the Reds and focus on the Yankees more, eventhough the Reds are doing 10 times better than NY. They just hate the thought of a player like Griffey playing on a small market team. They would rather see him playing on one of the "big" teams like NY or BOS. Good grief...

Reds:
36-27

Yankees:
35-26

10 times better?

GAC
06-12-2006, 07:36 PM
wrong thread :D

VI_RedsFan
06-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Reds:
36-27

Yankees:
35-26

10 times better?

Maybe I should get my stats right next time. My fake...

RedLegSuperStar
06-12-2006, 09:04 PM
I don't know where this rumor is coming from. I haven't heard it anywhere but here, and over on Sox board, this is the only thread they have about it. (And it was started by some guy just wondering, not when he heard a rumor)

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72582

It doesn't seem like anyone wanted him...........

To add to that.. Here's a Jay Mariotti from the Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay12.html

No Hunter, but Griffey?

The name that remains most intriguing is Ken Griffey Jr., who approved a deal to the Sox last summer and would be here if Cincinnati management didn't get cold feet. The Reds think they have staying power in the National League Central after the oblique injury that will sideline Albert Pujols indefinitely. But after losing three of four to the Cubs over the weekend, the Reds still are capable of fading away in a hurry, which might make Griffey expendable at the trade deadline. The Sox, so you know, play in Cincinnati next weekend, giving Williams plenty of time to lay new groundwork.

Money no longer is an object for Sox boss Jerry Reinsdorf, who sees the fans packing his ballpark and has pledged to keep reinvesting profits into the product. Griffey may be vulnerable to injury and would command more than $35 million over the next 2-1/2 seasons, but he remains one of the game's most dangerous hitters and would give the Sox a murderers' row lineup with Thome, Konerko, Jermaine Dye and Joe Crede.

Sure, if you are the fretting sort, there are issues on the South Side. Crede's lower back is flaring up again, prompting supersub Rob Mackowiak to take grounders at third base. Thome's groin problem might prevent him from playing first base in interleague games. We've never heard of these new relievers they're bringing in. But mostly at this point, the Sox would like an answer on Barrett.

It should come any month now.

jimbo
06-12-2006, 09:08 PM
"The name that remains most intriguing is Ken Griffey Jr., who approved a deal to the Sox last summer and would be here if Cincinnati management didn't get cold feet."

Griffey approved a deal to the White Sox last year? I don't remember this, can anyone confirm it?

RedLegSuperStar
06-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Ha Ha.. If he had approved the deal he'd be in Chicago (knowing quick draw DanO). I remember reporters asking Junior after the deal was off if he would of excepted it and he said it was up to his family and they later said ok.

KronoRed
06-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Last year it was said Carl killed the deal.

TeamBoone
06-13-2006, 12:58 PM
I know this thread is about Griffey, but this quote from one of the articles really really irks me BIG TIME:

The Reds think they have staying power in the National League Central after the oblique injury that will sideline Albert Pujols indefinitely.

The Reds believed this even before Pujols was injured. Quotes like this make me angry!

flyer85
06-13-2006, 01:01 PM
:deadhorse

traderumor
06-13-2006, 01:02 PM
If we get an offer for Griffey with the bulk of the remaining contract to be paid by the recipient, show me where to sign.

vaticanplum
06-13-2006, 01:43 PM
:deadhorse

I never noticed that that middle smiley is shouting directions. That icon is kind of terrifying if you really look at it closely.

(Wow, and with that, I think I'll get back to work...)

KronoRed
06-13-2006, 03:23 PM
I never noticed that that middle smiley is shouting directions. That icon is kind of terrifying if you really look at it closely.

(Wow, and with that, I think I'll get back to work...)
Good eye, I never noticed that before either and I pride myself on being a smiley examiner

Good work :D

registerthis
06-13-2006, 03:59 PM

He throws in a foot stomp every now and then for good measure. Call him the Kenny Rogers of smileys.

dfs
06-13-2006, 04:04 PM
If we get an offer for Griffey with the bulk of the remaining contract to be paid by the recipient, show me where to sign.

I'm with you on that. If they can get anything resembling value for Junior, they should do it while they can.

StillFunkyB
06-13-2006, 04:16 PM
In essence what these scribes believe is the Reds are nothing and that the only thing that matters are the major market teams i.e.Bosox,Chisox,Yankees.But it's Espn so no wonder.

Yankees are the only team in baseball, didn't you get the memo?

traderumor
06-13-2006, 04:32 PM
He throws in a foot stomp every now and then for good measure. Call him the Kenny Rogers of smileys.And he/she shows masochistic tendencies by smiling after each beating. What kind of twisted mind would do such a thing? The same type that sends empty White Castle boxes to a buddy nowhere near a White Castle?