PDA

View Full Version : Odalis Perez: 'If I donate money, I'd better get publicity for it'

jmcclain19
06-14-2006, 12:26 AM
Wow. But hey, bravo for being honest about being a total tool
http://www.pe.com/sports/baseball/dodgers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_dodgers_notes_10.39dc01b.html

He (Odalis) stopped his O's 45's program, in which he bought 45 tickets for inner-city school children to attend his starts, after losing his starting job. He said he would not reinstate the program now that he is starting again because he felt he never got enough credit from the club or the public for his charitable contributions.

"When you spend your own money you want to be recognized for that," Perez said. "I don't want to be a hero, but just pay more attention to what I'm doing. People don't want to give me the recognition for it."

toledodan
06-14-2006, 01:01 AM
yes a total tool.

KronoRed
06-14-2006, 01:11 AM
Classy

TeamBoone
06-14-2006, 01:52 AM
Ugh! How totally stupid to make such a remark. Anyone who feels like that doesn't deserve the recognition.

Rojo
06-14-2006, 02:00 AM
Its important not to loose sight of what's important, which is the kids, but he was buying tickets from the Dodgers - in a sense giving money to his employer.

Was the club taking credit for the kids being at the park when Odalis was paying for it?

TOBTTReds
06-14-2006, 03:26 AM
I'd rather have him do something for kids and ask for recognition than do nothing at all...but yeah, that's pretty weak.

cumberlandreds
06-14-2006, 07:11 AM
He's getting the publicity now. The wrong kind.

RFS62
06-14-2006, 07:16 AM
He's getting the publicity now. The wrong kind.

Yep, his wish will now come true.

GAC
06-14-2006, 07:18 AM
What charity you do in secret is seen by the ONE who counts.

When one does it to be seen by others - then they have their reward. ;)

RedFanAlways1966
06-14-2006, 07:58 AM
Have Miguel give you one of those special B-12 shots and you'll feel better, Odalis.

REDREAD
06-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Geez, at his salary, buying 45 tickets (which might've been discounted/subsidized by the club) is about like us throwing $5 or $10 in the collection plate on Sunday.

TeamBoone
06-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Actually, players do this all the time without recognition. It's information fans/media just stumble on. Most of these kids are also given tee-shirts with the benefactor's name somehow prominently displayed... Casey's Crew, Griffey's Kids, Gravey's Train, etc.

I think it's disgusting to expect recognition for a good deed and to become angry if that recognition doesn't come. It totally defeats the purpose of the good deed. Most players are pretty low key when it comes to this, but of course there's obviously exceptions.

Johnny Footstool
06-14-2006, 11:30 AM
What charity you do in secret is seen by the ONE who counts.

When one does it to be seen by others - then they have their reward. ;)

Publicizing one's charity can inspire others to give.

But I seriously doubt that's what Odalis had in mind when he made those comments.

PressBox
06-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Let's think about this. Odalis Perez buys 45 tickets for every game he starts. When he's assigned to the bullpen he probably won't be making any starts. Whether he continued or discontinued the program was completely a moot point, because he wasn't going to be making any starts in the first place. Just pointing out that he clearly didn't think this through before launching his little "PR" campaign. Everything else he said is just more salt in stupidity's gaping wound.

Much ado about nothing, I say. Much ado about nothing...

KronoRed
06-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Geez, at his salary, buying 45 tickets (which might've been discounted/subsidized by the club) is about like us throwing $5 or $10 in the collection plate on Sunday.
Agreed.

If he wants credit how bout giving 20% of his pay up, then I'd give him credit.