PDA

View Full Version : All-Star, home field likely to stay linked

savafan
06-14-2006, 03:40 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060613&content_id=1502838&vkey=allstar2006&fext=.jsp

By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

PHOENIX -- The "This Time it Counts" format that awards home-field advantage in the World Series to the winning league in the All-Star Game hasn't been approved yet, but it is on track, a Major League Baseball official said on Tuesday.

Even though MLB and the Players Association haven't formally extended the deal into its fourth season, the matter was addressed on Tuesday morning at a weekly staff meeting conducted in New York by Bob DuPuy, MLB's vice president and chief operating officer, and no one in the Commissioner's office exhibited any concern.

"It isn't signed, sealed and delivered yet, but we expect that it will be," said Rich Levin, an MLB senior vice president, when reached by phone in New York.

The format was adopted in 2003, a year after the All-Star Game in Milwaukee ended in a 7-7, 11-inning tie when both teams ran out of pitching. The original deal was for two seasons, and it was extended in negotiations with the union last year. That extension also came only weeks before the game, which was held in Detroit, Levin said.

This year's All-Star Game is scheduled for July 11 at Pittsburgh's PNC Park.

Gene Orza, the union's chief operating officer, also said that he wasn't concerned about the issue.

"I don't expect it to be a problem, but it still isn't done yet," said Orza, when reached by phone in New York.

Orza said that the matter has been entwined in ongoing collective bargaining negotiations for a new basic agreement, which expires on Dec. 19. For the long term, the format could be memorialized in the new agreement. But for right now, the two sides simply need to agree on this year.

"We're trying to make it a discrete item, but there are points that need to be ironed out," Orza said. "There's still some resistance from the players about it. We're trying to work that all out."

In the years since the format was adopted, the American League has won all three All-Star Games. The American League's home-field advantage has not figured in each of the past three World Series. In 2003, the Marlins won in six games over the Yankees at Yankee Stadium, capturing their second World Series title. In 2004 and 2005, the Red Sox and White Sox swept the Cardinals and Astros, respectively.

remdog
06-14-2006, 06:37 AM
"There's still some resistance from the players about it."

There's still a lot of resistance to it from this particular fan. Especially when the teams are picked by the fans and are essentially popularity contests rather than the players having the best year.

Bud. It's an exhibition game! It should have nothing to do with deciding the outcome of your sports' crowning event! Dimwit.

Rem

GAC
06-14-2006, 07:02 AM
While I tend to agree rem - it's sad that it had to come to this because of these high-priced and over-paid players. There use to be such a desire and competition between these two leagues on winning that game. Players wanted to be there for that.

Now it's all about how much do I get if I earn an All-Star appearance.

I really don't think players, if they are voted in, should have any option (other then being injured) from not appearing. And if they are injured, then they must be on the DL.

Hit the players that snub this game where it hurts - their wallets - the only language they seem to understand. Level heavy fines.

The snub of the All-Star game is just anothe example of just how little the players care about the fans.

Chip R
06-14-2006, 09:12 AM
It is still the most competitive of the all star games. You still see guys diving for catches and throwing 95 mph to get guys out. If MLBs ASG were like the other games, pitchers would be throwing BP fastballs to hitters and fielders would be giving balls that were a foot to their right or left the old matador treatment. Just because no one is bowling over catchers at the plate any more does not mean it is not compeititive and the players are not going all out.

RFS62
06-14-2006, 09:17 AM
It's a ridiculous joke.

It's an exhibition game. It should have NO bearing on the post season in ANY way.

RANDY IN INDY
06-14-2006, 09:27 AM
It's a ridiculous joke.

It's an exhibition game. It should have NO bearing on the post season in ANY way.

Totally agree.

Heath
06-14-2006, 09:51 AM
I lean to the side of the RFS62. Its an exhibition for crying out loud.

Here's how you do the home field advantage. Take the 4 teams Winning percentage in each league and average it out. Highest Winning percentage has the advantage. Tie breaker is best winning percentage by the number one seed.

smith288
06-14-2006, 10:47 AM
I know how to make the game important without effecting post season...

The teams in the league that wins will get 70% of the revenue sharing and the teams in the league that loses will only get 30%.

That might bring some ugly uninstended consequences, though...hmm.

oneupper
06-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Start by making both leagues play by the same rules (no DH).

What's wrong with alternating HF "advantages", like it used to be?

KronoRed
06-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Dumbest idea to come down from MLB in years, and they have had some whoppers.

harangatang
06-14-2006, 06:34 PM
All this goes back to the fact that it gives the Yankees and Red Sox home field advantage just in case they don't earn it during the normal season. I don't remember off the top of my head but I think the AL has won the game the past 8 or 9 years straight. It's nothing more than a ploy to try give a boost to those two teams in hopes more fly-by-nighters will watch in the Yankees/Red Sox win the World Series.

Unassisted
06-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Here's an idea. Instead of linking it to the postseason, let the league that wins host next year's ASG.

remdog
06-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Here's an idea. Instead of linking it to the postseason, let the league that wins host next year's ASG.

I like that idea. It makes common sense......oh wait, that's why it won't happen. :rolleyes:

Rem

SandyD
06-14-2006, 11:59 PM
How far out to they select the ASG sites? More than a year, I think.

I pretty much hate tying the home field advantage to the outcome of the ASG like the rest of you. Not sure why the outcome has to "matter" anyway.

Unassisted
06-15-2006, 12:27 AM
How far out to they select the ASG sites? More than a year, I think.I think so, too. It's likely that all of the ancillary events that accompany the game require lots of convention and hotel space. Seems to me like MLB could reserve those spaces for the following year in both an AL city and an NL city, and then cancel one set of those next-year reservations the day after the game.

The uncertainty will be inconvenient for sponsors and annoy the convention and visitors' bureau folks, which is probably the biggest reason it will never happen.

remdog
06-15-2006, 07:39 AM
I think so, too. It's likely that all of the ancillary events that accompany the game require lots of convention and hotel space. Seems to me like MLB could reserve those spaces for the following year in both an AL city and an NL city, and then cancel one set of those next-year reservations the day after the game.

The uncertainty will be inconvenient for sponsors and annoy the convention and visitors' bureau folks, which is probably the biggest reason it will never happen.

They do award the All-Star games several years in advance but there's no reason that they couldn't pick both AL and NL cities each year, as you said.

As for the inconvience, cities handle WS crowds that are longer lasting events and that are sometimes not determined until a day or three before the event.

Rem

M2
06-15-2006, 11:01 AM
It's not an exhibition game if home field advantage in the World Series is riding on it. I still say that all it's going to take is one seven-game WS where the home team takes home the trophy and ASG managers are going to start playing to win in the ASG (unlike, say, Bobby Cox).

oneupper
06-15-2006, 11:24 AM
It's not an exhibition game if home field advantage in the World Series is riding on it. I still say that all it's going to take is one seven-game WS where the home team takes home the trophy and ASG managers are going to start playing to win in the ASG (unlike, say, Bobby Cox).

The PLAYERS would have to feel that link, too. But maybe 20% of the ASG roster (Yankees, Cards, Red Sox, Astros, Chisox players) probably feel they have a legit chance at the WS and with 80 or so games left in the season, even they have to be a little skittish about going "all out" for an "advantage" that isn't that easy to quantify (for them).

If it comes down to "what's more important", the remainder of the season or the HF advantage in the WS (which more likely than not isn't even going to be for you), the second half is going to win (and it should). I can really see a Devil Ray player going all out so Joe Torre can have HF.

Before there was some "league pride" attached. Players would play and stay in their respective leagues for their entire careers. This was an opportunity to "mingle" with the "best" of the "other" unknown side. Show 'em who' best, so to say.
No longer the case, with the way players move and interleague play.

My opinion...it's an exhibition (heck, the HR derby gets the most attention these days), treat it as such...give out some goodwill and prizes and if it ends in a tie...so be it.

M2
06-15-2006, 11:36 AM
The PLAYERS would have to feel that link, too. But maybe 20% of the ASG roster (Yankees, Cards, Red Sox, Astros, Chisox players) probably feel they have a legit chance at the WS and with 80 or so games left in the season, even they have to be a little skittish about going "all out" for an "advantage" that isn't that easy to quantify (for them).

If it comes down to "what's more important", the remainder of the season or the HF advantage in the WS (which more likely than not isn't even going to be for you), the second half is going to win (and it should). I can really see a Devil Ray player going all out so Joe Torre can have HF.

Before there was some "league pride" attached. Players would play and stay in their respective leagues for their entire careers. This was an opportunity to "mingle" with the "best" of the "other" unknown side. Show 'em who' best, so to say.
No longer the case, with the way players move and interleague play.

My opinion...it's an exhibition (heck, the HR derby gets the most attention these days), treat it as such...give out some goodwill and prizes and if it ends in a tie...so be it.

Fair points, but WS homefield advantage is there for the taking and it's not an insignificant prize. Over time managers who value that prize (and I'm guessing Ozzie Guillen will fit this profile) will stop treating the game like a Little League contest where everybody plays. The guys who are just glad to be there can watch from the bench because the better teams in the league will have more players on the squad and their attitude toward the game willl change.

GAC
06-15-2006, 11:43 AM

Exactly.

I don't like Bud's decision in this instance; but the players (and their union) have snubbed their collective noses at this game (and the fans who vote them in) for the last decade or so.

When I hear players say they aren't gonna appear because they don't want to risk injury (a contract year and all), or that it may wear them down and prevent them from helping their team in the 2nd half, then something needed (and needs) to be done to correct this attitude.

And to pay a player extra if they make the All-Star game? It should be a privilege, not an incentive to try and perform better.

It may be just an exhibition game to the fans, but it never used to be to the players of the respective leagues.

I think they should just level heavy fines on these players (based on a percentage of their base salary).... plus give them all the bad press they deserve.

And maybe the next year you're not eligible as punishment.

Snub us? Snub you! ;)

If the players don't like Bud's decision, then maybe THEY should do something about the game to correct the attitude so many of them carry?