PDA

View Full Version : Another ex-Red weighs in on Griffey

dabvu2498
06-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Foster believes Griffey should give up playing center field
By Ron Jackson

Staff Writer

MIAMISBURG | Former Cincinnati Reds great George Foster is not pleased with some players on his former team or the team in general. His critical comments were specifically aimed at Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr., on Tuesday while appearing at the "Extra Innings" baseball and softball training center.

His appearance benefitted Building Bridges and the George Foster Home for at-risk juveniles.

The five-time All-Star and 1977 National League MVP was asked if Griffey should move from center field to one of the corner outfield positions or first base.

"I would move him to first base," Foster said. "I was with Ken Sr. recently and I know he's discussed it with Junior, but it's an ego thing with him and he doesn't want to go to left or right. That would save his legs, but he's out to prove something; that he can win another Gold Glove in center.

"But there's lot of wear and tear involved with playing center or shortstop. They're demanding positions along with catcher. Junior's a player and he can play the angles and make the adjustment to either corner outfield or first base. As long as you have Junior at first, for instance, you don't need an offensive player in center. It would prolong Junior's career."

Foster helped to power the Big Red Machine teams of the 1970s. He said players were unselfish in that era.

"The beauty of the Big Red Machine was the chemistry," Foster said. "Players made switches for the good of the team or took extra batting practice. You don't see that in today's game as much. Junior and Adam Dunn should take extra BP to learn to break the defensive shift they face."

On the Reds' chances in '06: "I just don't know if they have the thoroughbreds, the stamina, to stay in the race when July comes. I worry they didn't work hard enough in March and April to prepare themselves to stay in the race."

Foster also feels the game needs to start giving back to the fans and needs a more stringent steroids policy.

"Now you have growth hormones to worry about," Foster said. "It's like chess or checkers and the players are trying to stay a step ahead of the program. It isn't even anymore. The performance enhancers increase the hand-eye coordination — the bat speed — so much that it is unbelievable. More so than the noticeable size."

Foster, 57, became a star after May 3, 1975 when manager Sparky Anderson moved Pete Rose to third base, opening up a spot in left for Foster, giving Ken Griffey Sr., a full-time job in right field and revving up the Big Red Machine. The Reds dominated, winning the World Series in '75 and '76. In 1977, Foster hit 52 home runs when it meant something and drove in 149 runs. He was the only major-leaguer to clout more than 50 homers in a season from 1965-90.

"We started dominating people and intimidating teams after that move," Foster said.

Foster lives in Greenwich, Conn., and still trains and instructs youngsters of all abilities at youth camps and batting cages. He will give his annual clinic at North Riverdale Little League's Fenner Fields today from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0614foster2.html

smith288
06-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Does Fostor know that Griffey arrives early every day to take insane amounts of BP?

dabvu2498
06-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Well, after I posted this I see who wrote it. Ron Jackson... nice guy, but not a guy who really should be writing such fodder. He should stick to covering Warren County high school games. I'm not surprised that such words came from him. Foster most likely though no one would read it if this guy wrote it, so I'll say whatever I want.

Unassisted
06-14-2006, 09:03 AM
it's an ego thing with him and he doesn't want to go to left or right. That would save his legs, but he's out to prove something; that he can win another Gold Glove in center.Right there is an argument for setting criteria for or eliminating the GG awards altogether. Too often it goes to the best offensive player at a position.

If he moves to 1B, he knows he can't beat Pujols for the GG. :p:

RedsManRick
06-14-2006, 09:27 AM
What bugs me about this is that now Griffey is put in a no win situation. Either he stays put and looks like a stubborn old curmudgeon or he moves and concedes that he's been wrong about his abilities.

BigJohn
06-14-2006, 09:42 AM
So they outta just trade him to the Whitesox and let him be a DH like he should be anyway. The reds need the money and have plenty of OFs to replace him, they don't have a catcher than can catch a put out at home anyway!

Unassisted
06-14-2006, 10:36 AM
So they outta just trade him to the Whitesox and let him be a DH like he should be anyway. I don't think he'll be able to win any Gold Gloves as a DH. ;)

Since Griffey can veto any trade, it's a safe bet he won't accept that one.

dabvu2498
06-14-2006, 10:40 AM
ISince Griffey can veto any trade, it's a safe bet he won't accept that one.
If this team continues to slide, I think he'd go to Chicago for a chance to play in the playoffs.

Team Clark
06-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Does Fostor know that Griffey arrives early every day to take insane amounts of BP?

Foster more than knows... There's taking BP to stay in a groove and there's BP to work on adjustments. Griff pulls the ball and can get away with it at times.

reds44
06-14-2006, 11:42 AM
So they outta just trade him to the Whitesox and let him be a DH like he should be anyway. The reds need the money and have plenty of OFs to replace him, they don't have a catcher than can catch a put out at home anyway!
The Sox DH is Thome. Junior would have to play CF everyday.

It's starting to seem like everyone thinks Junior should switch positions except the Reds.

KoryMac5
06-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Ken Sr. has a great deal of influence with JR. I am sure if those two talked about it, it is being discussed seriously by JR. That being said I think we might see Jr at first base but not until he spends some time there in spring training 07. Too hard to flip positions in mid year especially from OF to first base.

reds44
06-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Ken Sr. has a great deal of influence with JR. I am sure if those two talked about it, it is being discussed seriously by JR. That being said I think we might see Jr at first base but not until he spends some time there in spring training 07. Too hard to flip positions in mid year especially from OF to first base.
I don't want him going to 1B, I want him going to LF. I think he would be a very good defensive LFer.

steig
06-14-2006, 12:23 PM
George Foster and Eric Davis should stop talking to reporters about this issue. They can call for Griffey to move when they have a baseball resume equal to that of Griffey. The choice to move griffey should be done within the organization not in the newspaper. I do think griffey would be a great 1B but at this point i don't think we have a better CF on the roster. Freel can cover ground but doesn't have the arm or accuracy. And i'm not paid to make baseball decisions for the reds.

NJReds
06-14-2006, 12:25 PM
George Foster and Eric Davis should stop talking to reporters about this issue. They can call for Griffey to move when they have a baseball resume equal to that of Griffey.

At least that explains why Narron won't address the issue. He's got nowhere near the baseball resume to question Jr.

savafan
06-14-2006, 01:51 PM
I don't think he'll be able to win any Gold Gloves as a DH. ;)

Rafael Palmeiro says hi.

saboforthird
06-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Foster more than knows... There's taking BP to stay in a groove and there's BP to work on adjustments. Griff pulls the ball and can get away with it at times.

Lately it seems Junior has been hitting the ball to left, but I believe Junior's swing to be slowing down.

James B.
06-14-2006, 06:00 PM
I don't get it. Is Junior the manager of the reds? Some people think that he can move himself anytime he wants to. I would think that that move would have to be made by Narron.

Heath
06-14-2006, 06:01 PM
I don't get it. Is Junior the manager of the reds? Some people think that he can move himself anytime he wants to. I would think that that move would have to be made by Narron.

Talk to John McNamara about Johnny Bench, circa 1981.

red-in-la
06-14-2006, 06:10 PM
George Foster and Eric Davis should stop talking to reporters about this issue. They can call for Griffey to move when they have a baseball resume equal to that of Griffey. The choice to move griffey should be done within the organization not in the newspaper. I do think griffey would be a great 1B but at this point i don't think we have a better CF on the roster. Freel can cover ground but doesn't have the arm or accuracy. And i'm not paid to make baseball decisions for the reds.

I think both Foster and Davis have a better resume than JR will ever have. Both were parts of STAR player moves that helped their team win a RING. JR stands NO CHANCE of winning a ring if he is so conceded that he thinks he is still anywhere near GG quality in CF.

Come on....I said it before JR's ZR = statue.

Heath
06-14-2006, 06:30 PM

Is this Lyle Steig? Holy cow, its like celebrity redszone.com

(Dayton viewers/listeners only)

On edit - not the Stieger - too young...

BTW - I have to respectively disagree. Griffey might have the individual statistics, but not the team or the ring. I believe Foster & Davis have an opinion to share and should be allowed to do so. The telling truth of Sr. talking to Jr. is important.

KronoRed
06-14-2006, 06:32 PM
I would think that that move would have to be made by Narron.
I would think it would be up to Krivsky first.

Nugget
06-14-2006, 07:48 PM
I can see why Foster and Davis were not one the REDS to come to ST. Poor form to air it in public. Just because you were once a great on the team does not give you carte blanche to rubbish a team in the media. I get the feeling that Foster doesn't want people to forget about him.

pedro
06-14-2006, 07:56 PM
I can see why Foster and Davis were not one the REDS to come to ST. Poor form to air it in public. Just because you were once a great on the team does not give you carte blanche to rubbish a team in the media. I get the feeling that Foster doesn't want people to forget about him.

I get the feeling that they may have been asked leading questions by reporters trying to turn this inot a story and just responded honestly.

Heath
06-14-2006, 08:03 PM

George Foster is class on and off the field. Time after time he is asked to make apperances, and while I'm sure he asks for a fee, he will make every effort to follow through when asked. He still provides instruction to kids/young adults who aspire to be big league baseball players. When Bob Castellini came around to all the old Reds when his press conference was held, Foster was personally invited and accepted a Spring Training Invite. He also heads up the Reds community Youth League programs.

Eric Davis was at spring training as well. Here is a link that proves that.
Reds Article Link in USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl/reds/2006-06-07-sportsweekly-cover_x.htm)

Forgive me if my tone is blunt towards you Nugget. It has to be difficult trying to follow a team in a different day. I have the same problem when the Seven Nations Rugby Cup is shown live here in the states. I get cranky from the lack of sleep. :D

Unassisted
06-14-2006, 08:07 PM
I don't get it. Is Junior the manager of the reds? Some people think that he can move himself anytime he wants to. I would think that that move would have to be made by Narron.I think most of us are assuming that the question has been asked of Junior by Narron and the answer was "No."

We could be wrong for assuming that. It's not likely Narron will admit publicly that our assumption is correct. He can save that revelation for his book in a few years. ;)

Heath
06-14-2006, 08:12 PM
It's not likely Narron will admit publicly that our assumption is correct. He can save that revelation for his book in a few years. ;)

I got a title -

"Little Things Mean A Lot - A Jerry Narron Memoir" -As told to Marc Lancaster.

Be careful. Each book is in a loose leaf binder for your easy-to-shuffle convienence. You can shuffle around the chapters for optimum performance if you like reading outside or indoors, or whether you are a left handed or right handed reader.

Nugget
06-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Forgive me if my tone is blunt towards you Nugget. It has to be difficult trying to follow a team in a different day. I have the same problem when the Seven Nations Rugby Cup is shown live here in the states. I get cranky from the lack of sleep. :D

Only following the REDS via redszone and the Post I didn't remember seeing Foster or Davis being outilned. But it still gets to me when past players, even great ones, come out and think that they have some right to criticise particular players on their old team. Its just bad form.

MartyFan
06-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Only following the REDS via redszone and the Post I didn't remember seeing Foster or Davis being outilned. But it still gets to me when past players, even great ones, come out and think that they have some right to criticise particular players on their old team. Its just bad form.

I'd agree if these players had not accomplished anything in the game...I think this is exactly what the team wants and needs because Special K and Mr. C are trying to remind all of the players that nobody is bigger than the team...also offering a prideful look back at the history of the organizations success and what was needed to get them to that point.

I am not going to debate Pete Rose or his place in the game....but the guy played second, third, OF and 1B in his career and excelled at each one...he moved to help spark the BRM...that was leadership, that was giving it up on and off the field for the good of the team.

This action/attitude is exactly why I say that players like Barry Larkin who in his decline refused to move to second or make other adjustments to their game are as much responsible for the decline of the team as the managers, GM's and Owners.

westofyou
06-15-2006, 10:02 AM
I am not going to debate Pete Rose or his place in the game....but the guy played second, third, OF and 1B in his career and excelled at each one...he moved to help spark the BRM...that was leadership, that was giving it up on and off the field for the good of the team.But they had to drag him off the roster. So the end wasn't as pretty as the moves, that were also caused by rapid defensive attrition that "helped" move him from the right of the spectrum to the left. But the point is very clear what Pete did at the time was for the teams overall health.

savafan
06-17-2006, 02:29 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0617audible.html

Foster way off base with views on Griffey

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Mark me down as deeply disappointed in George Foster, one of my all-time favorite Cincinnati Reds and a long-time friend.

During a charity appearance at Extra Innings in Miamisburg earlier this week, Foster took some shots at Ken Griffey Jr., shots that were not only unwarranted but also totally false.

Foster said Griffey doesn't take enough batting practice to learn to beat the exaggerated shift teams put on him. How would Foster know? He has made few appearances in Cincinnati ballparks since he last took off his Reds polyester double-knits.

If Foster cares to check before he speaks, show up at Great American Ball Park at 3 o'clock before every 7:10 home game. He'll find Griffey hard at work, not only taking batting practice, but taking extra batting practice.

Foster said Griffey is letting his ego stand in the way of switching positions. Wrong again. Of all the superstars I've known in 34 years covering baseball, including Foster, Griffey has the least ego of any player I've encountered. His ego blood count is zero.

What is perplexing about all these people saying Griffey should switch positions is that he hasn't been asked to switch by anybody involved with the Reds.

My fear is that jealousy tinges Foster's remarks. He is not happy that he receives so few Hall of Fame votes. He talks about Griffey and Adam Dunn being too lazy to work, yet Foster was let go as an instructor in the Reds system because his work ethic wasn't what they wanted.

During his career, Foster struck out 1,419 times. Make it 1,420 because he whiffed big-time on this one.

Guacarock
06-17-2006, 04:18 AM
What is perplexing about all these people saying Griffey should switch positions is that he hasn't been asked to switch by anybody involved with the Reds.

If the subject hasn't been broached by anybody involved with the Reds, then that's perplexing. Griffey is a superstar and shoo-in to be inducted first ballot into the Hall of Fame as soon as he's eligible. But Junior is neither doing himself nor the Reds any favors by staying past his prime in CF.

He ought to be playing LF, and Dunn ought to be at 1B. The two of them can resist the inevitable all they want, but it's not exactly a tenable, sustainable or team-oriented stance.

Hal McCoy should spare us the hollow indignation. This incarnation of the Reds is plenty exciting, but does indeed have some serious defensive shortcomings to fix. Although they are not the only culprits, Griffey and Dunn are not anywhere close to being Gold Glovers in their current positions. Ditto Lopez at SS, Encarnacion at 3B.

Encarnacion has an excuse. He's a kid learning the ropes on the fly.

The same can't be said for Griffey, Dunn and Lopez. Despite what Hal asserts, it's most definitely an ego thing and also a sign of self-serving immaturity on the part of these vets, when they refuse to maintain an open mind about moving into new positions where they might be better equipped to help the team.

Foster and Davis anchored less-static Reds squads that built upon a long, proud tradition of baseball in the Queen City. By contrast, our existing superstars haven't yet combined in any fashion to produce a playoff contender, let alone even a team that has cracked .500.

It's understandable why they want to be treated like big fish. Everyone wants to be universally loved, cherished and respected. Still, if treating them like big fish means we have to abandon the Reds' winning tradition and be transformed into the Marlins, then forget it.

Junior and Dunn need to get some perspective and exhibit more maturity. If they can't, then the front office has to exert some tough love, and send one of the two packing. We are awfully close to contending, but we never will if we don't have a team, only an asylum, run by the inmates and pundits on the order of McCoy and Marty.

GAC
06-17-2006, 07:47 AM
If the guy is not fighting back the media (and fans) over his injuries, he is now having to do with his play in CF now that he is in there.

The guy just can't win (nor satisfy anyone any more).

I'm glad I'm not in this guy's shoes because I wouldn't deal with all this as eloquently as he has as of late.

I'd probably be the most hated player in Cincy after I got done. :lol: