PDA

View Full Version : TRADE Austin Kearns NOW!

Benihana
06-14-2006, 10:27 AM
If there is one guy on this team that should be traded, factoring in all considerations, including but not limited to team strengths, value, future earnings, attitude, and relative value at the moment, it is Austin Kearns.

He has been hitting as well as he ever has at the ML level, and he plays a position that we clearly have an abundance of backup talent (Freel, Denoforia) and minor league help in the pipeline with Votto, Bruce, and eventually Stubbs.

Kearns value is as high as its been in three years. If WMP could fetch Arroyo, imagine what Kearns could potentially fetch. Dan Haren? Jeremy Bonderman? Ted Lilly? True, maybe those three are pipe dreams, but I would be shopping Austin harder than any other player if I were Kriv.

Topcat
06-14-2006, 10:31 AM
I also am in Favor of trading Kearns in exchange for pitching, I am willing to gamble on Deno I am not on this bullpen at all :thumbdown

OldXOhio
06-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Kearns value is as high as its been in three years. If WMP could fetch Arroyo, imagine what Kearns could potentially fetch. Dan Haren? Jeremy Bonderman? Ted Lilly? True, maybe those three are pipe dreams, but I would be shopping Austin harder than any other player if I were Kriv.

You're right, Haren and Bonderman are pipe dreams. I'm guessing a pitcher along the lines of Ted Lilly is what you could get, although I'm not sure how much of an improvement he'd provide.

CTA513
06-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Trade Kearns, Dunn and Griffey.
Bring up Denorfia to play center , have Valentin play left and LaRue play right.

:pray:

;)

reds44
06-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Trade Kearns, Dunn and Griffey.
Bring up Denorfia to play center , have Valentin play left and LaRue play right.

:pray:

;)
Nah Deno would play LF, CF, and RF.

M2
06-14-2006, 12:11 PM
The Reds probably would have to trade Kearns for prospects and turn those into a right now pitcher if what they want is a right now pitcher. I'm not sure a linear path exists.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Trade Kearns for a "tomorrow" pitcher. We have missed the window to sign him long term, and quite frankly, I don't think he's someone to build around.

A guy here at work, who gives me the business every day on Adam Dunn and his strike outs, just said that he thinks Kearns is way better hitter than Dunn. I don't know why I even argue the point with him, but here is something I just sent him after I had to walk away from his office because I was laughing too hard.

Hey Bob,

Dunn OPS = .983 (.391 OBP/.593 SLG)
Kearns OPS = .838 (.347 OBP/.492 SLG)

Dunn = 71 K's
Kearns = 62 K's

Dunn = 55 BB's
Kearns = 25 BB's

Talk about someone that strikes out too much. Wow! Kearns is doing it at almost the same rate with 30 less walks than Dunn. Not too mention, he's grounding into a Sean Casey-like number of DP's (11).

Kearns the fielder? Decent. Maybe a bit overrated. Dunn the fielder? A tad below average, perhaps. The gap between the two isn't as great as the gap between their bats. But, hell, I have been trying to tell you that Dunn is a first-basemen anyway.

I know, I know, that .269 vs. .240 batting average does make all the difference in the world, doesn't it

Wait until Kearns heats up again and then deal him.

Benihana
06-14-2006, 12:44 PM
I think calling Dun a "tad below average" fielder is generous.

However I agree with your overall sentiment. Kearns must be dealt, and I'm hoping there is a Arroyo type deal out there. If not, I would still deal him for almost ML ready prospects. Kearns for Sowers? Kearns for Billingsley? Heck, if we're so desparate for bullpen help, Kearns for (gulp) Broxton?

FWIW, I don't know if Kearns for Bonderman is as much of a reach as it seems. Detroit is long on pitching, with Verlander, Maroth, Bonderman, Robertson and Miller now in the system (not to mention the old veteran Kenny Rogers). With Young on the lam and Maybin years away, they do however lack good young hitting. If Bonderman is untouchable, how about Kearns for Zumaya and Robertson??

Falls City Beer
06-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Kearns could be dealt for topshelf high minors pitching or a high-ceiling currently MLB-ready but underachieving project pitcher.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Kearns for Sowers? Kearns for Billingsley? Heck, if we're so desparate for bullpen help, Kearns for (gulp) Broxton?

I don't know how any GM would make that deal, but if there is another DanO out there that would deal one of these studs for Kearns, I'd do it in a heartbeat and even offer to pay the remaining 1 Mil+ we owe him this year.

KronoRed
06-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Dan O works for the Brew crew

Kearns for Sheets? ;)

Redsland
06-14-2006, 03:26 PM

Kearns for Sheets? ;)
DanO and AK have "liking issues."

:starwars:

KronoRed
06-14-2006, 03:31 PM
That's right..he's not major league ready ;)

OldXOhio
06-14-2006, 04:14 PM
A guy here at work, who gives me the business every day on Adam Dunn and his strike outs, just said that he thinks Kearns is way better hitter than Dunn. I don't know why I even argue the point with him, but here is something I just sent him after I had to walk away from his office because I was laughing too hard.

Hey Bob,

Dunn OPS = .983 (.391 OBP/.593 SLG)
Kearns OPS = .838 (.347 OBP/.492 SLG)

Dunn = 71 K's
Kearns = 62 K's

Dunn = 55 BB's
Kearns = 25 BB's

Talk about someone that strikes out too much. Wow! Kearns is doing it at almost the same rate with 30 less walks than Dunn. Not too mention, he's grounding into a Sean Casey-like number of DP's (11).

Kearns the fielder? Decent. Maybe a bit overrated. Dunn the fielder? A tad below average, perhaps. The gap between the two isn't as great as the gap between their bats. But, hell, I have been trying to tell you that Dunn is a first-basemen anyway.

I know, I know, that .269 vs. .240 batting average does make all the difference in the world, doesn't it

Wait until Kearns heats up again and then deal him.

Unless you're just throwing it out there b/c you have a mindless coworker, how is a comparison of Kearns and Dunn germane to this topic? Deal Kearns because it can net us something of more value to the team than his current production. Deal Kearns because he can be replaced in RF without the team missing much of a beat. Deal Kearns because you think this is as good as it's going to get for the guy and his propensity for getting injured could rear its ugly head again. Don't deal Kearns just because he doesn't put up Dunn-like numbers in certain categories.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Unless you're just throwing it out there b/c you have a mindless coworker, how is a comparison of Kearns and Dunn germane to this topic? Deal Kearns because it can net us something of more value to the team than his current production. Deal Kearns because he can be replaced in RF without the team missing much of a beat. Deal Kearns because you think this is as good as it's going to get for the guy and his propensity for getting injured could rear its ugly head again. Don't deal Kearns just because he doesn't put up Dunn-like numbers in certain categories.

Yep. Mindless coworker.

And just making a point that Dunn takes alot of heat (by coworker, board, grandma, casual fan) whereas Kearns is praised (by coworker, board, grandma, casual fan) and Dunn has actually been more productive.

The other reason I compare the two is because it is my belief that since the Reds have let the window close on signing both to long-term deals and since they both came up pretty much together, and they both are nearing free agency together that the Reds will need to settle on keeping one and dealing the other.

That is how I feel that it is germane to this topic.

Redsland
06-14-2006, 04:34 PM
For the record, the team controls Dunn through 2008.

OldXOhio
06-14-2006, 04:42 PM
And just making a point that Dunn takes alot of heat (by coworker, board, grandma, casual fan) whereas Kearns is praised (by coworker, board, grandma, casual fan) and Dunn has actually been more productive.

I'm not sure I agree with you about the board. More than a few on here want to see Kearns on the next plane out of town.

The other reason I compare the two is because it is my belief that since the Reds have let the window close on signing both to long-term deals and since they both came up pretty much together, and they both are nearing free agency together that the Reds will need to settle on keeping one and dealing the other.

Have we seen enough out of the Castellini regime to know this to be true?

Kc61
06-14-2006, 05:45 PM
If there is one guy on this team that should be traded, factoring in all considerations, including but not limited to team strengths, value, future earnings, attitude, and relative value at the moment, it is Austin Kearns.

He has been hitting as well as he ever has at the ML level, and he plays a position that we clearly have an abundance of backup talent (Freel, Denoforia) and minor league help in the pipeline with Votto, Bruce, and eventually Stubbs.

I agree with this logic. I wonder, though, if the only possible return for Kearns is a starting pitcher. A closer? A true centerfielder? A first baseman?

Traditionally, all of us think in terms of getting starting pitching in every deal. I think the team has other needs as well. Of course, another good pitcher would be nice, if obtainable.

How about Kearns, Larue, Claussen and Votto. What could you get back for that package?

Heath
06-14-2006, 05:55 PM
How about Kearns, Larue, Claussen and Votto. What could you get back for that package?

I would think that might get you a #2-3 SP & 2 AAA prospects.

But that's a lot on table. You'd have to break up Kearns & LaRue. Maybe Kearns & Claussen. Then LaRue & Votto.

I think LaRue & Votto could net you Ray King & Ryan Shealy. IMO.

We have a closer. His name is Todd Coffey. Get used to it.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-14-2006, 05:57 PM

Barry Zito?

One can dream.

Topcat
06-14-2006, 05:57 PM
I agree with this logic. I wonder, though, if the only possible return for Kearns is a starting pitcher. A closer? A true centerfielder? A first baseman?

Traditionally, all of us think in terms of getting starting pitching in every deal. I think the team has other needs as well. Of course, another good pitcher would be nice, if obtainable.

Good thought:beerme: , when you consider expanding the deal. I run fast with that offer to say um to Washington and see what they might be willing to offer for that package.

KronoRed
06-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Barry Zito?

One can dream.
He wouldn't stay past the end of the year :(

Heath
06-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Good thought:beerme: , when you consider expanding the deal. I run fast with that offer to say um to Washington and see what they might be willing to offer for that package.

I think Jimbo's string is awfully tight right now. Nothing really but reclimation projects in the rotation. See what a pitchers' park can do for Ramon Ortiz? Their only decent road starter's been Patterson, and his elbow's probably still not right.

Nothing in DC to see that excites me - except the Smithsonian.

GAC
06-15-2006, 09:05 AM

Kearns for Sheets? ;)

Great - another pitcher for the DL to play catch with Wilson. :lol:

Wheelhouse
06-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Kearns the fielder? Decent. Maybe a bit overrated. Dunn the fielder? A tad below average, perhaps. The gap between the two isn't as great as the gap between their bats.

Currently Adam Dunn is THE WORST outfielder in MLB, with more errors than even Soriano, who is notoriously bad and new to the position. Kearns is a plus fielder who gets excellent jumps on balls (Dunn looks like he hears of balls being hit via telegram), takes excellent routes (Dunn looks like he's riding Larue's John Deere tractor, in LOW), and is known for his plus arm (Dunn has a strong arm with bad accuracy--we're lucky there hasn't been a friendly fire incedent). Austin Kearns is probably the best outfielder on the team, with a possible argument for Freel. Dunn is squarely in the basement defensively, and the sad thing is, he's gotten worse since he came up.

RedsManRick
06-16-2006, 01:00 PM
If Wayneski isn't talking to LAA about a Kearns/Santana deal, he should be. While I think Kearns could blossom in to an all-star, I think there's a very real possibility that he's gonna top out as a .280/.360/.500 guy. Valuable? Quite. Replaceable? Quite.

If we can turn him in to another young reliable horse for the rotation, it has to happen yesterday. That Carl Crawford is being talked about and Kearns name hasn't come up yet bugs me. Of course, my bigger concern is that Dunn and Kearns are best buds, and that Dunn isn't exactly the kind of guy whose team first attitudes inspires the masses...

That all said, if we could trade Adam Dunn for Santana, Howie Kendrik, and one of their 1B types, I wouldn't give it a second thought before pulling the trigger. Dunn's bat will definitely be missed, but his salary can keep Lopez and Kearns around long term. There's an interesting chapeter in the "Behind the Numbers" about Kevin Maas and the aging pattern of young players with "old player skills". The basic idea being that they peak early and only go down from there. Dunn will likely hold his value for awhile, but isn't likely to ever become more valuable than he already is (which is very valuable, admittedly). Deno comes up to play CF, Griffey goes to LF and all of the sudden we have an above average defensive OF. This would actually fit the Twins model of team balance as well.

GAC
06-16-2006, 03:04 PM
If we could find a trade that would improve this team, and since we have a kid like Denorfria to plug in there, I'd trade Kearns in a heartbeat.

But this "Trade Kearns NOW" is easier said then done. ;)

KronoRed
06-16-2006, 03:46 PM
If Kearns O keeps going south we won't have to worry about a trade, no one will want him ;)

Spitball
06-16-2006, 05:11 PM

How 'bout Tim Hudson and Chris Reitsma?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5700028

CTA513
06-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Trade him to the Cubs so he can kill the Reds every time they face each other.

:p:

KronoRed
06-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Trade him to the Cubs so he can kill the Reds every time they face each other.

:p:
Darth Kearns turns to the dark side? ;)