PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Chambliss should go?

Jim Fazio
06-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Maybe Chris Chambliss, the hitting coach should be fired. The Reds with runners in scoring position is a joke. I know we hit alot of home runs and doubles, but when we need the clutch hit, we never get it. Their plate discipline is terrible, thay look at too many strikes, and strike out way too much. Kearns is another guy I would get rid of in return for some pitching.

traderumor
06-14-2006, 01:16 PM
That would be like firing a dog trainer because he could not turn a pit bull into a lap dog.

dabvu2498
06-14-2006, 01:24 PM
The Dog Whisperer could do it.

RedsBaron
06-14-2006, 01:27 PM
The Reds rank second in the NL with 338 runs scored, second in the NL in OBP at .347, first in SLG at .459 and first in HRs with 98. Yeah, that performance is totally unacceptable, so they should fire Chambliss.:rolleyes: :bang:

CTA513
06-14-2006, 01:28 PM
The pitching has also been bad, should the pitching coach also be fired?

toledodan
06-14-2006, 01:32 PM

yes we should fire the bullpen coach!:D

Jim Fazio
06-14-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm talking when the Reds really need the big hits. They can never get them and its been that way for some time. They need someone who can light a fire under them and I doubt Chambliss is that man. RISP, thats the stat I care about.

RedsBaron
06-14-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm talking when the Reds really need the big hits. They can never get them and its been that way for some time. They need someone who can light a fire under them and I doubt Chambliss is that man. RISP, thats the stat I care about.
There is approximately utterly no evidence whatsoever in the history of baseball that hitters get "big hits" because someone was able to "light a fire under them" and precious little evidence to support the notion of clutch hitting.

Redsland
06-14-2006, 01:45 PM
They need someone who can light a fire under them and I doubt Chambliss is that man.
Why?

Because of the pressure-free atmosphere he played in as a Yankee?

Or is it because he only has six World Series rings?

Yep. I'd want a guy like that to stay far away from my youngsters.

traderumor
06-14-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm talking when the Reds really need the big hits. They can never get them and its been that way for some time. They need someone who can light a fire under them and I doubt Chambliss is that man. RISP, thats the stat I care about.Jim, do you realize that BA RISP does not take into account solo home runs, home runs with a guy on first, a triple with a guy on first, a double with a guy on first, all ways that a goodly number of runs are scored? Are those big hits? A good example is Javier Valentin's walk off home run against the Dbacks. There was a guy on first, thus did not fall under the category of RISP. Was that a big hit?

I agree that it is frustrating to have a guy on third and less than two outs and not get him in, but the answer to improving in that area does not lie in "lighting a fire under them" or a failure to get "big hits." As others have pointed out, scoring runs is not a problem for this team.

Last night, they went from down 4-0 to 4-2 with two swings of the bat. Were those "big hits?" After another home run, they fought back to 4-3, and were it not for the bullpen continuing to allow runs at about the pace of one an inning during this losing streak, they would have tied the game at 4-4. So, once again, while the offense takes the heat if they cannot sustain a winning streak by scoring 7 runs a game, its time to fire the hitting coach.
:lastyear:

ochre
06-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Baseball is a game built around failure. Sometimes one succeeds.

westofyou
06-14-2006, 01:46 PM
They need someone who can light a fire under them and I doubt Chambliss is that man. RISP, thats the stat I care about.
Maybe we can exhume Woody Hayes to kick em all in the rear.

westofyou
06-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Baseball is a game built around failure. Sometimes one succeeds.
Baseball is like japanese food, the presentation and process is a big part of the whole experience.

Talking baseball on Redszone can sometimes be like getting a Burrito in a Phish lot in Bonner Springs Ka.

dabvu2498
06-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Talking baseball on Redszone can sometimes be like getting a Burrito in a Phish lot in Bonner Springs Ka.
There's an easy solution to both those problems.

registerthis
06-14-2006, 01:55 PM
The Reds rank second in the NL with 338 runs scored, second in the NL in OBP at .347, first in SLG at .459 and first in HRs with 98. Yeah, that performance is totally unacceptable, so they should fire Chambliss.:rolleyes: :bang:

OPS, Schmops. I notice you didn't list Productive Outs there, RedsBaron. Any particular reason for that, hmm? ;)

IslandRed
06-14-2006, 01:57 PM
RISP, thats the stat I care about.

I'm more into Runs, myself.

westofyou
06-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Because it represents 100% of the situations in the ab's as opposed to 23%? ;)

On RISP, Don't get me wrong a bad rate on the 23% portion drags the mean down, but hanging ones hat on 23% of the portfolio because it's a stock that might pay off at a better rate is a portfolio that is being misused.

Jim Fazio
06-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Just stirring us some conversation boys. But when it comes down to it, Why are we losing games we should win. We never get the clutch hits. You can throw all the stats at me you want. We have too many homerun hitters and not enough hitters period.

dabvu2498
06-14-2006, 02:06 PM
Why are we losing games we should win.
One word, seven letters:

B-U-L-L-P-E-N

traderumor
06-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Is there any more clear definition of clutch than hitting a three run homer in the ninth inning of the opener of a series against the first place team in your division, which happened just 10 days ago? I guess that eliminates "never."

TC81190
06-14-2006, 02:09 PM

Skews the bigger picture. How many runs did we score that ended up being in a blow out game? Runs that ended up not affecting the outcome of the game.

dabvu2498
06-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Skews the bigger picture. How many runs did we score that ended up being in a blow out game? Runs that ended up not affecting the outcome of the game.
Precisely why I like that late and close splits that MLB.com has.

traderumor
06-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Skews the bigger picture. How many runs did we score that ended up being in a blow out game? Runs that ended up not affecting the outcome of the game.You had to score the runs to make it a blowout game, no? And with our bullpen, there is no such thing as a blowout game. Is there a sale on strawman and red herring arguments in this thread? Free rep points to the best red herring, perhaps?

ochre
06-14-2006, 02:40 PM
are we measuring the herrings by size, or vibrancy?

Redsland
06-14-2006, 02:56 PM
We have too many homerun hitters and not enough hitters period.
Scott Hatteberg is reportedly a "professional hitter." So is Rich Aurilia. So's Griffey if you think about it. Freel gets on base but isn't a homerun hitter.

So half of today's lineup says hi.

westofyou
06-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Scott Hatteberg is reportedly a "professional hitter." So is Rich Aurilia. So's Griffey if you think about it. Freel gets on base but isn't a homerun hitter.

So half of today's lineup says hi.
Mr Phillips hails you as well.

Wheelhouse
06-14-2006, 03:07 PM
A) Chambliss is the best coach in the system--guys that have worked hard under his tutelage (see Phillips, Lopez, EE, Ross) have made great strides.
B) He has a terrific, championship track record--the Yankee teams he coached ground down opponents with professional at bats and clutch hitting.

KronoRed
06-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Do we have one? ;)

RedsBaron
06-14-2006, 04:07 PM
You can throw all the stats at me you want. We have too many homerun hitters and not enough hitters period.
Yeah, that darn Dunn failed again today to come through with a single, or even a "productive out", when the Reds really needed it. Instead he hit a stupid showoff HR.

IslandRed
06-14-2006, 04:25 PM

Happens with every team and mostly comes out in the wash. The things where you'd expect to see for a team that pads its run-scoring in meaningless situations (to the extent a situation is ever meaningless in a game where it's not over until the last out is recorded), like underperforming the Pythagorean record or having a subpar record in close games, you won't see them. We're doing fine by those measures (two games over our Pythagorean prediction, 19-12 in games decided by one or two runs as of today). We just lost the kind of games this week that we won a week or two before. It's a long season, it happens.

traderumor
06-14-2006, 04:40 PM
are we measuring the herrings by size, or vibrancy?
weighted average, with vibrancy getting the higher consideration

tripleaaaron
06-15-2006, 02:31 AM
you cant teach clutch, you either have it, or you dont, or as time goes by you acquire it, it is not something you can teach, even if Micheal Jordan was the shooting coach for a basketball team, he cant teach you how to hit the game winners, some players just thrive in those situations, others falter, its a fact of life

tripleaaaron
06-15-2006, 02:32 AM
why did I say fact of life, now I have that theme song stuck in my head, and now that I said that I bet you do too