PDA

View Full Version : Way to go Adam Dunn!

BigJohn
06-14-2006, 03:53 PM
I am now a Dunn fan. I was just as glad to see him swinging in the ninth as I was when he hit the 3 JACK! :beerme: :beerme:

zombie-a-go-go
06-14-2006, 03:55 PM
I am now a Dunn fan. I was just as glad to see him swinging in the ninth as I was when he hit the 3 JACK! :beerme: :beerme:

Yeah; I hate him now. He should've walked. Any schmoe can jack one out of the park, but it takes a disciplined bat to take a walk. Dunn isn't Vlad Guererro, no matter how much he might want to be. :thumbdown

BigJohn
06-14-2006, 03:58 PM
:laugh:

Reds4Life
06-14-2006, 03:58 PM
But remember, Dunn sucks. He never does anything when the game is on the line, or with RISP. Lets trade him for bullpen help, he's horrible.

:rolleyes:

BigJohn
06-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Yeah, well just maybe things are gonna change!

reds44
06-14-2006, 04:01 PM
That was clutch! Go Adam!

KronoRed
06-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Yeah; I hate him now. He should've walked. Any schmoe can jack one out of the park, but it takes a disciplined bat to take a walk. Dunn isn't Vlad Guererro, no matter how much he might want to be. :thumbdown
Word.

RedsBaron
06-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Dunn should've bunted. I bet the thirdbaseman wasn't expecting a bunt, but, nooooooo, Dunn had to show off.;)

JEA
06-14-2006, 04:12 PM
But remember, Dunn sucks. He never does anything when the game is on the line, or with RISP. Lets trade him for bullpen help, he's horrible.

I can understand and appreciate sarcasm, and I mean no disrespect by this, but why would a moderator want to post a comment like this? Doesn't it simply encourage others to contribute to an already combative environment?

RANDY IN INDY
06-14-2006, 04:14 PM
:beerme:
I can understand and appreciate sarcasm, and I mean no disrespect by this, but why would a moderator want to post a comment like this? Doesn't it simply encourage others to contribute to an already combative environment?

pedro
06-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Nice to see Dunn have some success when he's really been struggling in those types of situations. I expect we'll see more good things from Mr. Dunn as the year progresses.

RedsBaron
06-14-2006, 04:16 PM
The more I think about it, wasn't there only one out when Dunn came to bat? He should have played small ball and sacrificed Griffey over to thirdbase.;)

Redsland
06-14-2006, 04:17 PM
He homered in a 3-0 game. Big deal.

:p:

BigJohn
06-14-2006, 04:18 PM
yes but it wasn't 2-0 before he did! :D :D

ochre
06-14-2006, 04:20 PM
things are always changing.

TeamBoone
06-14-2006, 04:32 PM

Moderators are also members of this board; all but two (I think) were members before being chosen to moderate. They too have opinions and are free to post as they wish, as long as they don't break the rules.

Falls City Beer
06-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Moderators are also members of this board; all but two (I think) were members before being chosen to moderate. They too have opinions and are free to post as they wish, as long as they don't break the rules.

Correct.

gm
06-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Anyone hear Marty's call? I'm guessing "less was more"

pedro
06-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Anyone hear Marty's call? I'm guessing "less was more"

registerthis said marty was pretty excited.

KronoRed
06-14-2006, 04:45 PM
But it was a bad pitch ;)

From my chair it looked like the kind of pitch Dunn k'd on early in the year, the inside type he always missed, but this time he smashed it.

JEA
06-14-2006, 05:02 PM

I have no problem with moderators expressing opinions. I don't expect them to be robotic drones.

Yet it's those same type of snarky posts that result in equally snarky responses. No matter how tongue-in-cheek they are, they always result in the same arguments from the same two factions of posters and the eventual locking of threads and further animosity.

I took the post in question as a thinly veiled "take that, you Dunn bashers." I guess technically it doesn't break any rules (despite the "Dunn sucks" opening), but just don't be surprised by the equally sarcastic posts that will happen if/when Dunn strikes out in a similar situation in the future.

I remember a huge thread not too long ago about what's wrong with this board (and I'm new here, so take my opinion with a grain of salt), and a lot of people mentioned the ongoing beaten-to-death topics and overall decline in board quality. If new people see moderators posting antagonistic replies like that, it's only going to open the door for others.

And frankly, as much as I can't stand the "Dunn sucks" threads, I find the "Dunn sucks + roll-eyes icon" even more annoying.

But that's just me.

All that really matters is that one hell of a player just hit a huge home run for a team desperately in need of a win. And that makes my day.

TeamBoone
06-14-2006, 05:25 PM
I love Adam Dunn! Always have, always will.

I can't even begin to fathom why some people hate him so much.

Yachtzee
06-14-2006, 05:36 PM
I love Adam Dunn! Always have, always will.

I can't even begin to fathom why some people hate him so much.

Maybe they mistake him for some kind of evil archvillian. ;)

http://www.bydesignportfolio.com/waste/Images/Mugatu.jpg

Spitball
06-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Has this photo been posted?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo?slug=a260cfb5230c4837a107cdc1d61d94df.brewer s_reds_baseball_csb108&prov=ap

Sorry, I never learned how to post a picture.

RFS62
06-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Allow me.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060614/capt.a260cfb5230c4837a107cdc1d61d94df.brewers_reds _baseball_csb108.jpg

Spitball
06-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Allow me.

Heath
06-14-2006, 08:25 PM
I have no problem with moderators expressing opinions. I don't expect them to be robotic drones.

Yet it's those same type of snarky posts that result in equally snarky responses. No matter how tongue-in-cheek they are, they always result in the same arguments from the same two factions of posters and the eventual locking of threads and further animosity.

I took the post in question as a thinly veiled "take that, you Dunn bashers." I guess technically it doesn't break any rules (despite the "Dunn sucks" opening), but just don't be surprised by the equally sarcastic posts that will happen if/when Dunn strikes out in a similar situation in the future.

I remember a huge thread not too long ago about what's wrong with this board (and I'm new here, so take my opinion with a grain of salt), and a lot of people mentioned the ongoing beaten-to-death topics and overall decline in board quality. If new people see moderators posting antagonistic replies like that, it's only going to open the door for others.

And frankly, as much as I can't stand the "Dunn sucks" threads, I find the "Dunn sucks + roll-eyes icon" even more annoying.

But that's just me.

All that really matters is that one hell of a player just hit a huge home run for a team desperately in need of a win. And that makes my day.

Hey, mods are people too. And, maybe since I frequent the board, and know the wording used by the mods, I read that as tongue-in-cheek pretty quickly. I think since Adam Dunn has been railed quite hard around here lately, the mods needed to pass some steam.

pedro
06-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Hey, mods are people too.

Prove it! ;)

KronoRed
06-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Allow me.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060614/capt.a260cfb5230c4837a107cdc1d61d94df.brewers_reds _baseball_csb108.jpg
Smile Adam..yeesh

;)

dabvu2498
06-14-2006, 09:14 PM

You're right... next time he takes the sombrero and someone starts a thread on it... closed... swiftly.

That said... I'm glad I got to the car in time to hear it... pretty cool.

Of course, if he takes the sombrero and they win, cool also.

TeamBoone
06-14-2006, 09:57 PM

Sombrero or not, at least he finally found a way to get a hit... not too many did in this game.

Falls City Beer
06-14-2006, 10:02 PM
You're right... next time he takes the sombrero and someone starts a thread on it... closed... swiftly.

That said... I'm glad I got to the car in time to hear it... pretty cool.

You may have noticed how few threads are started in genuine praise of Dunn.

So while someone may start a thread about his strikeouts (and thus breaking board rule #5: excessive player criticism), you will almost NEVER see a thread started vindictively rubbing it in Dunn's critics' faces.

So that's a strawman argument.

dabvu2498
06-15-2006, 08:35 AM
So while someone may start a thread about his strikeouts (and thus breaking board rule #5: excessive player criticism)
Criticizing strikeouts is excessive? We are super-sensitive.

you will almost NEVER see a thread started vindictively rubbing it in Dunn's critics' faces.
Except this one.

So that's a strawman argument.
I like milkshakes through a straw.

zombie-a-go-go
06-15-2006, 08:49 AM
The more I think about it, wasn't there only one out when Dunn came to bat? He should have played small ball and sacrificed Griffey over to thirdbase.;)

Huh. Yeah, actually, I would've wanted him to bunt. And, on this day, I would have been wrong. I'm cool with that. :)

BuckWoody
06-15-2006, 08:55 AM
Allow me.

Back to the topic at hand....

I loved the celebration at the end of the game. When I saw Dunn break out from the pack with someone hanging on his back giggling and grinning ear-to-ear I thought it was great. When I realized it was Kenny, that thought doubled. It was awesome to see The Kid celebrating like a kid again. ESPN also had a nice reaction shot from Griffey off of second when he realized the ball was out, which was just about right away. Good times.

Great win to top of an otherwise frustrating day and end a terrible losing steak. Here's hoping they play up to the level of the competition this weekend. We'll be there Saturday night. :beerme:

BigJohn
06-15-2006, 09:15 AM
I started this post and it was totally to praise Adam Dunn. If he continues to hit with runners on I will continue to praise him. I just feel like that 3 run jack was a much better thing than a walk! :)

registerthis
06-15-2006, 09:47 AM
registerthis said marty was pretty excited.

Yeah, was looking for the audio link this morning, and couldn't find it. Strange how things like that aren't typically put up on the Reds site? Anyway...it was something along the lines of "And the two strike pitch...and a drive to deep left field! Jenkins looking up, and Adam Dunn has hit a 3 run home run! And this one belongs...." etc.

dabvu2498
06-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Yeah, was looking for the audio link this morning, and couldn't find it. Strange how things like that aren't typically put up on the Reds site? Anyway...it was something along the lines of "And the two strike pitch...and a drive to deep left field! Jenkins looking up, and Adam Dunn has hit a 3 run home run! And this one belongs...." etc.
I thought it would be on there as well... IIRC, the Jr. extra innings walkoff was posted the next morning.

The conspiracy theorists will be out in force. "Why's "Da Man" always trying to keep a Dunn down?!?!?"

registerthis
06-15-2006, 09:58 AM
I thought it would be on there as well... IIRC, the Jr. extra innings walkoff was posted the next morning.

FWIW, they had the video of the HR on the site, just not the audio. At least not that I could find.

smith288
06-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Will we see you hammering Dunn with a new thread the next time he has a RISP and fails? Is this a new situational thing?

Wheelhouse
06-15-2006, 10:44 AM

I think we all hope yesterday's home run with runners on signals an end to Dunn's terrible problems at the plate with runners on base. Go Reds!

BigJohn
06-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Will we see you hammering Dunn with a new thread the next time he has a RISP and fails? Is this a new situational thing?

of course!

:bang:

TeamBoone
06-15-2006, 12:25 PM

And then went on to say it was a pitcher's mistake... or bad pitch... or something like that.