PDA

View Full Version : For Fans Of Christian Music

dman
06-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Steven Curtis Chapman will be at the Ohio State Fair this year (Aug. 7th at 7:00 P.M.). Also, 4HIM will be at my daughters school (Madison Christian Church in Groveport on September 8th at 7:00 P.M. This will likely be their only date that comes even close to the Cincinnati/Dayton area for their farewell tour. More info on this can be found at www.madisonchristian.org

The 4HIM concert is dear to me because we have known the guys for some time and it being at my daughter's school helps them out by giving the school more visibilty.

KronoRed
06-15-2006, 12:56 AM
Thanks for posting this :)

savafan
06-15-2006, 01:31 AM
I saw Steven Curtis Chapman at Icthus back in...(must have been 1993-1994). That was around the time of the Great Adventure tour. Great guy and a great concert.

GAC
06-15-2006, 07:17 AM
I'd like to see Phil Keaggy. That guy can play a guitar.

In 1970 a rock power trio out of Youngstown Ohio called Glass Harp stood on the verge of superstardom. Propelled by the impressive guitar playing of 19 year old Phil Keaggy, the popular young band had secured a record deal and were opening up for the Kinks at Carnegie Hall in New York city. Their performance was being recorded to be released as a live album -- success seemed inevitable. Yet behind the scenes things were not as they appeared. After suffering the loss of his mother the previous year, Phil began questioning his budding rock star lifestyle and embraced Christianity. He would soon leave Glass Harp and launch a successful and enduring career in the newly forming Christian music field. His choice to pursue Christian service over rock star fame has kept him from becoming a household name, but his playing stands in a class by itself.

Not bad for a guy who is missing half of the middle finger on his right hand due to a childhood accident involving a water pump.

Two other Christian bands I really enjoy are DeGarmo and Key and White Heart.

This is one power rock album ;)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c2/1990_-_Powerhouse.jpg/150px-1990_-_Powerhouse.jpg

Heath
06-15-2006, 08:02 AM
In Dayton on Saturday, June 16th, there will be the David Crowder Band playing a free concert at Island Park.

If you want some serious rock sounds with a good message I recommend Audio A & Audio Slave.

Heath
06-15-2006, 08:03 AM
I'd like to see Phil Keaggy. That guy can play a guitar.

In 1970 a rock power trio out of Youngstown Ohio called Glass Harp stood on the verge of superstardom. Propelled by the impressive guitar playing of 19 year old Phil Keaggy, the popular young band had secured a record deal and were opening up for the Kinks at Carnegie Hall in New York city. Their performance was being recorded to be released as a live album -- success seemed inevitable. Yet behind the scenes things were not as they appeared. After suffering the loss of his mother the previous year, Phil began questioning his budding rock star lifestyle and embraced Christianity. He would soon leave Glass Harp and launch a successful and enduring career in the newly forming Christian music field. His choice to pursue Christian service over rock star fame has kept him from becoming a household name, but his playing stands in a class by itself.

Not bad for a guy who is missing half of the middle finger on his right hand due to a childhood accident involving a water pump.

When you see him play, he uses Lee press on nails as a pick. He gave a guitar demonstation before a concert once. It was seriously cool.

Phil Keaggy was Eddie Van Halen before Eddie was even cool.

traderumor
06-15-2006, 08:19 AM
When you see him play, he uses Lee press on nails as a pick. He gave a guitar demonstation before a concert once. It was seriously cool.

Phil Keaggy was Alex Van Halen before Alex was even cool.Alex is the drummer. Eddie is the guitarist.

Heath
06-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Alex is the drummer. Eddie is the guitarist.

standed corrected.

savafan
06-15-2006, 08:40 AM
Phil Keaggy is like Alex and Eddie all rolled into one. :D

RedsManRick
06-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Man, I had a roommate in college who played this "God is God and I am not" song WAY too much... generally I enjoyed the SCC stuff, but man, I couldn't help but make fun of that one...

max venable
06-15-2006, 12:07 PM
In Dayton on Saturday, June 16th, there will be the David Crowder Band playing a free concert at Island Park.

If you want some serious rock sounds with a good message I recommend Audio A & Audio Slave.
Crowder is phenominal. If you can get there, do it!

GAC
06-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Man, I had a roommate in college who played this "God is God and I am not" song WAY too much... generally I enjoyed the SCC stuff, but man, I couldn't help but make fun of that one...

Ever hear DeGarmo & Key's "God Good, Devil Bad"?

My kids played that simplistic song, with repetitive chords, till I almost wanted to pull my hair out or convert to satanism. Drove me nuts!!

WVRed
06-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Ever hear DeGarmo & Key's "God Good, Devil Bad"?

My kids played that simplistic song, with repetitive chords, till I almost wanted to pull my hair out or convert to satanism. Drove me nuts!!

When I was looking at a Christian college in Florida, I turned it on the colleges Christian radio station. When I heard "God told Noah, told Noah, there's going to be a floodie floodie", I turned it off as quick as I could.

Needless to say, I decided not to go there.

dman
06-15-2006, 11:30 PM
Of all the great songs SCC has made, this is my least favorite. I don't know how they decide on what songs to be released as singles, but my favorite by SCC is "This Day" off of the Declaration C.D. I love the message behind "God Is God", but musically it's my least favorite.

OldRightHander
06-16-2006, 12:28 AM
Speaking of Keaggy, I had the pleasure of meeting him about 15 years ago after a concert he did at a small church. We just talked about music and faith and a host of other topics for close to an hour before he had to go. That was a great evening. He has to be one of the most versatile guitarists I've ever heard, and a pretty humble person to boot.

max venable
06-16-2006, 11:41 AM
the greatest rock guitarists ever accoring to digitaldreamdoor.com (LINK (http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_newguitar.html))

1. Jimi Hendrix* - Jimi Hendrix Experience
2. Eric Clapton - Yardbirds, Cream, Derek & The Dominos, Solo
3. Jimmy Page - Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, The Firm
4. Jeff Beck - Yardbirds, Jeff Beck Group, Solo
5. Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen
6. Stevie Ray Vaughan* - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
7. Joe Satriani - Solo, Rainbow
8. Ritchie Blackmore - Deep Purple, Rainbow, Blackmores Night
9. Steve Vai - David Lee Roth, Whitesnake, Solo
10. David Gilmour - Pink Floyd, Solo
11. John Petrucci - Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment
12. Randy Rhoads* - Quiet Riot, Ozzy
13. Allan Holdsworth - Solo
14. Paul Gilbert - Mr. Big, Racer X, Solo
15. Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force, Solo
16. Phil Keaggy - Glass Harp, Solo

dman
06-16-2006, 09:14 PM
the greatest rock guitarists ever accoring to digitaldreamdoor.com (LINK (http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_newguitar.html))

130. George Lynch - Dokken, Lynch Mob

I totally did not understand why this person was ranked so far down the list.

savafan
06-16-2006, 10:35 PM

The late Criss Oliva, formerly of Savatage, isn't even on that list. His replacement, Alex Skolnick is at #100, but without Oliva on that list, I can't accept it.

dman
06-16-2006, 10:42 PM
The late Criss Oliva, formerly of Savatage, isn't even on that list. His replacement, Alex Skolnick is at #100, but without Oliva on that list, I can't accept it.
Yngwie is at #15. He's a great player, but I always felt he was hyped way more than what he should've been. Chris Oliva was awesome. Nuno's even a good ways down the list. This list is a farce

savafan
06-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Yngwie is at #15. He's a great player, but I always felt he was hyped way more than what he should've been. Chris Oliva was awesome. Nuno's even a good ways down the list. This list is a farce

And Oliva was basically a prodigy. Had he not been killed by that guy who had six previous DUIs, I'm sure he'd be an (almost) household name. At least amongst the rock crowd.

Yngwie is crazy good. Satriani, the first musician to create a new scale since Beethoven, is only at #7, and John Petrucci of Dream Theater is no where to be found on there, yet Ace Frehley is at #125. I want to cry or burn something.