PDA

View Full Version : Just a few trade notes..

Mario-Rijo
06-15-2006, 12:26 AM
WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Carl Crawford
Devil Rays Rockies?
Angels? West winds blowing
Jun 14 - The Angels have included Carl Crawford in a group of offensive players they have targeted to potentially trade for, according to a report in The Orange County Register.
"Would we like an impact bat? You bet," Angels general manager Bill Stoneman told the paper. "But impact players aren't readily available."

The Angels told teams they would be willing to trade 23-year-old right-hander Ervin Santana to acquire an impact hitter.

Crawford, 24, is in the second year of a four-year, $15.25 million contract that includes club options that could extend the contract through the 2010 season.

To acquire Crawford, the Angels would likely have to include at least one other prospect along with Santana. They are deep in middle-infield prospects, including Triple-A shortstop Erick Aybar and Double-A shortstop Brandon Wood.

The Rockies are also believed to interested in acquiring Crawford, but indications are they would be unwilling to part with several of the top-flight young pitchers in their system.

Torii Hunter
Twins Red Sox? Torii says yes to Fenway
Jun 14 - Torii Hunter has removed the Red Sox as one of the teams in the no-trade clause portion of his current contract, according to a report in the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
Hunter, in the final year of his contract with the Twins, said that he would waive the clause if Boston were to pursue a trade for him this season.

"I'm not a big fan of the angles of the outfield fence [at Fenway Park]," Hunter told the paper. "My thing is defense, and if I can't play defense, then I've got nothing. But the ballpark itself is OK. Boston's aura and David Ortiz, trust me, those are the positives."

Last year, Hunter added the Cubs to the list of five teams in his no-trade clause because of the brick outfield wall at Wrigley Field. But he said he would waive the clause for the Cubs, too.

Hunter said he would not approve a trade to the other teams: Detroit, Tampa Bay and Toronto.

Tuesday, June 13

Alfonso Soriano
Nationals Yankees?
Angels?
Dodgers? Sori returning to Bronx?
Jun 13 - According to a report in the New York Post, the Nationals are willing to trade Alfonso Soriano to the Yankees but only if right-handed pitching prospect Philip Hughes, 19, is included in the deal.
Hughes, presently pitching in Double-A, is considered to be the Yankees' top pitching prospect.

"Obviously I know what our shortcomings are," Yankees GM Brian Cashman told the paper. "But I also know we are better than this. I will try to address whatever shortcomings we have."

Soriano is in the final year of his current contract, and if acquired by the Yankees would fill one of the spots in their outfield created by the injuries to Gary Sheffield and Hideki Matsui.

Cleveland Let's make a deal!
Jun 13 - Indians GM Mark Shapiro is searching for a partner in which to make a deal to improve his ballclub, but at this point no trade is imminent.
"I've had a whole lot of conversations with a whole lot of general managers," Shapiro told the Akron Beacon Journal. "Trading a big-league guy for a big-league guy is extremely difficult to do. But I think what goes on now can sow the seeds for something later."

The Indians could look for reinforcements in a few different spots, including the starting rotation and middle relief. Shortstop Jhonny Peralta has also been mired in a season-long slump.

Interesting names being floated about there, some must be getting desperate!

Krusty
06-15-2006, 12:52 AM
I wonder what it would take to pry RHP Rafael Soriano from the Mariners in order to shore up the Reds bullpen?

oneupper
06-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Kearns for Santana?

RedsMan3203
06-15-2006, 01:01 AM
Kearns for Santana?

Thats what I was thinking.....

Krusty
06-15-2006, 01:39 AM
Kearns for Santana?

That would be a tough one. But wouldn't you address the bullpen first before the starting rotation?

LoganBuck
06-15-2006, 01:46 AM
A frequent caller called into WLW tonight and claimed to have been sitting in the Scout seats. She said that the Braves and Dodgers were in taking a look. She claimed to have talked to the Dodgers scout, and he said he was going to be in town through the weekend. Interesting that the Reds don't play the Dodgers for a while, and that they do have a the good young prospects.

KronoRed
06-15-2006, 01:49 AM
I'd be worried they want to give up on a 23 year old.

RedsMan3203
06-15-2006, 02:02 AM
That would be a tough one. But wouldn't you address the bullpen first before the starting rotation?

You address the pen by addressing the starting 5..... I think BC would be good out of the Pen......

toledodan
06-15-2006, 02:06 AM
You address the pen by addressing the starting 5..... I think BC would be good out of the Pen......

i agree with you about BC out of the bullpen.:thumbup:

Rojo
06-15-2006, 02:09 AM
I think BC would be good out of the Pen......

Might be OK (or at least better) out of the pen but he doesn't solve your bullpen problems.

Not by a long shot.

reds44
06-15-2006, 02:39 AM
We need to trade Deno or trade Kearns to make room for him. No use in him sitting in AAA.

schroomytunes
06-15-2006, 02:39 AM
I think that we will see some moves come July, I just dont think you will see the high impact names coming our way though. This is fine with me as we need to keep our key young guys together. I think first and foremost our bullpen needs to be addressed, and I think we can acquire a guy or two with what we have in our farm system.

Some ideas- Jason Larue and Ryan Wagner to the Rockies for Ray King

Rey Olmedo and Joey Votto to the Twins for Juan Rincon

schroomytunes
06-15-2006, 02:52 AM
How about this one with Atlanta:

Reds trade-Jason Larue

Braves trade-Chris Reitsma and Jorge Sosa

the Reds take on a little more salary, but get a couple of arms that are having down years, and with our bullpen woes, they may have a chance to redeem themselves in a new venue. While the Braves get a starting catcher in Larue to backup Mccann and eventually displace Pratt, and save some cash.

pedro
06-15-2006, 03:01 AM
I like Santana

I think I'd trade Kearns for him.

CTA513
06-15-2006, 03:24 AM
How about this one with Atlanta:

Reds trade-Jason Larue

Braves trade-Chris Reitsma and Jorge Sosa

the Reds take on a little more salary, but get a couple of arms that are having down years, and with our bullpen woes, they may have a chance to redeem themselves in a new venue. While the Braves get a starting catcher in Larue to backup Mccann and eventually displace Pratt, and save some cash.

Reistma is on the DL with numbness in his fingers.

Sosa has only had 1 good year and that was last year.
This year he is 1-8 with a 5.58 ERA and only averages about 5 innings a start.

buckeyenut
06-15-2006, 07:11 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/tom_verducci/06/13/problem.positions/index.html

5 holes for contenders. CF for CHW, C for STL, 3B SD, 1B LAA, 2B TOR, honorable mention to PHI C, OAK 2B, STL LF, ATL RF

If we are out of it, Jr is a great fit for CHW. But so is Freel. Larue or Valentin can help PHI or STL, but it would be tough to deal with STL. Aurillia could be an option at 3B for SD, 1B for LAA or 2B for TOR. Jr, Kearns and Dunn could also be options out in LAA since they really want an impact bat, IF they are willing to pay the price. STL and ATL also need OF, but ATL is probably really out of it and same caveat with STL.

This Reds team is going to be a player at the deadline for sure. Only question is buyer or seller.

OnBaseMachine
06-15-2006, 07:45 AM
I like Santana

I like Kearns, however, I like Santana more. I would absolutely do that deal.

harangatang
06-15-2006, 08:16 AM
I'd be worried they want to give up on a 23 year old.Can anyone say EdE? Oh wait he's 22...;)

MattyHo4Life
06-15-2006, 08:23 AM
STL and ATL also need OF, but ATL is probably really out of it and same caveat with STL.

The Cardinals are looking for a hitter, but are probably only willing to deal a pitcher in their rotation not named Carpenter. So the Reds and Cards aren't much of a match right now anyways.

Moosie52
06-15-2006, 08:35 AM
We need to trade Deno or trade Kearns to make room for him. No use in him sitting in AAA.

No kidding. I watched Denorfia play in Indy Monday night. He's hitting around .350 and it's coming easy to him.

Heath
06-15-2006, 08:52 AM
I like Santana

I'd do it too. But I don't think Stoneman thinks Kearns is a gamebreaker like Crawford is.

Heath
06-15-2006, 08:54 AM
Sosa has only had 1 good year and that was last year.
This year he is 1-8 with a 5.58 ERA and only averages about 5 innings a start.

Jorge Sosa was a better option out of the pen when he was in Tampa. He's still has major fast speed, but really doesn't have the control yet.

membengal
06-15-2006, 09:11 AM
I'd do it too. But I don't think Stoneman thinks Kearns is a gamebreaker like Crawford is.

Perhaps. But toss in a sweetener from the farm system and you might could get that done.

Kearns + Ward for Santana? I would do that. That's the kind of arm that I hope Krivsky is spending his time looking for.

traderumor
06-15-2006, 09:13 AM
If that is so, Stoneman is buying into the hype surrounding Crawford, who is career .323/.425/.748. Of course, he brings the speed tool to the table that Kearns doesn't, but Kearns is .358/.466/.844 I can tell you who the more dangerous hitter is. 100 points of OPS is a heckuva difference.

So, I find it interesting that the going rate for Crawford and his so-so offensive numbers would be a stud starter AND a prospect, while Kearns, who has put up better numbers in the midst of injuries, is not considered in the same league. I guess when there is a cubic zirconium stone in the midst of the turdpile that is the DRays, it might look like a diamond.

Heath
06-15-2006, 10:28 AM
If that is so, Stoneman is buying into the hype surrounding Crawford, who is career .323/.425/.748. Of course, he brings the speed tool to the table that Kearns doesn't, but Kearns is .358/.466/.844 I can tell you who the more dangerous hitter is. 100 points of OPS is a heckuva difference.

So, I find it interesting that the going rate for Crawford and his so-so offensive numbers would be a stud starter AND a prospect, while Kearns, who has put up better numbers in the midst of injuries, is not considered in the same league. I guess when there is a cubic zirconium stone in the midst of the turdpile that is the DRays, it might look like a diamond.

Crawford has "speed" and "potential". That's the whole package. Curtis Granderson has the same deal. It's the new thing.

Kearns has a power edge. I'd almost give Kearns the defense nod as well, Crawford does not have the greatest arm in the world. Crawford's almost Kenny Lofton-like.

Heath
06-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Perhaps. But toss in a sweetener from the farm system and you might could get that done.

Kearns + Ward for Santana? I would do that. That's the kind of arm that I hope Krivsky is spending his time looking for.

I think Zach Ward has serious upside that I'd like to see Cincinnati cash in on.

Puffy
06-15-2006, 11:04 AM

But you just can't look at those numbers and come to a conclusion.

Crawford has been on a noticeable upswing - he has improved his OPS every year in the majors. .671 at age 22, .781 at age 23, .800 at age 24, and .809 so far this year (while still 24 - will be 25 in two months).

Kearns has been on a downturn - he had his best OPS 4 years ago and has been on a downward trend since that time (excepting this year, though the year is admitting young and his OPS has been on a decline - April .889, May .846 and thus far in June .695). Kearns numbers - .907 at age 22, .819 at 23, .740 at 24, .785 at 25, and .835 so far this year at 26 (turned 26 May 20).

Looking at their ages its safe to say that Crawford, who is about to enter the "prime" years is a very safe bet to continue the trend upwards. Kearns, also about to enter (but closer by a year plus) his "prime" years is a crapshoot because you don't know where his numbers will go.

So, its not hype - its perception. Crawford is getting a little better each year while Kearns is all over the place. Factor in Crawford's speed, his durabilty and add Kearns' durabilty problems, etc and you'll see its not as black and white as just throwing out their career OPS numbers and concluding Kearns is the more dangerous hitter.

M2
06-15-2006, 11:17 AM

I wouldn't.

Kearns and Valentin for Santana and Aybar.

membengal
06-15-2006, 11:34 AM
I think Zach Ward has serious upside that I'd like to see Cincinnati cash in on.

I'm certainly not doubting his upside, but have been persuaded by those on here who note that an actual living breathing starting pitcher in the majors is worth a ton more than one we hope will fight through the system and someday make it.

If Santana is at all available, at his age and with his stuff, I hope the Reds are stout in their attempts to get him...

Benihana
06-15-2006, 11:45 AM
KEARNS FOR SANTANA

Done and dunn. This could be like Wily Mo-Arroyo part II, and with a Arroyo, Harang and Santana headlining the rotation for the next three years, I REALLY like our chances. And I didn't even mention Elizardo.

I would throw in any minor leaguer neccessary to make this work with the exception of Bailey, Wood, Cueto and Bruce. If it takes Ward OR Votto to get it done, I think for a second but I think you gotta do it.

BRM
06-15-2006, 11:46 AM
The Rockies have apparently inquired about Crawford as well but the Rays are asking for a king's ransom.

"Two obstacles exist for the Rockies in any pursuit of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays' Carl Crawford. He has been more comfortable as a left fielder and has shown reluctance to move to center, where the Rockies have a need. And the Devil Rays have made it clear they must be overwhelmed to even consider a deal."

LINK (http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_3937877)

traderumor
06-15-2006, 12:35 PM
But you just can't look at those numbers and come to a conclusion.

Crawford has been on a noticeable upswing - he has improved his OPS every year in the majors. .671 at age 22, .781 at age 23, .800 at age 24, and .809 so far this year (while still 24 - will be 25 in two months).

Kearns has been on a downturn - he had his best OPS 4 years ago and has been on a downward trend since that time (excepting this year, though the year is admitting young and his OPS has been on a decline - April .889, May .846 and thus far in June .695). Kearns numbers - .907 at age 22, .819 at 23, .740 at 24, .785 at 25, and .835 so far this year at 26 (turned 26 May 20).

Looking at their ages its safe to say that Crawford, who is about to enter the "prime" years is a very safe bet to continue the trend upwards. Kearns, also about to enter (but closer by a year plus) his "prime" years is a crapshoot because you don't know where his numbers will go.

So, its not hype - its perception. Crawford is getting a little better each year while Kearns is all over the place. Factor in Crawford's speed, his durabilty and add Kearns' durabilty problems, etc and you'll see its not as black and white as just throwing out their career OPS numbers and concluding Kearns is the more dangerous hitter.
Good points, Puffy, but I think Austin is answering some of those questions this year. I think he suffered greatly from the day Dan O'Brien walked onto the job and gave an "Austin who?" Now, healthy and not looking over his shoulder, he is performing and looking like the player that splashed on the scene in 2002. I would say, from the perspective of assigning a trade value, that his stock has recovered nicely with what he is doing this year, and that Krivsky should see his value as at least on par to a Carl Crawford.

Jpup
06-15-2006, 01:39 PM
What do you guys think that Krivsky is going to do about Jason LaRue. I can't see him being on the team for much longer. He hasn't started since June 7th and his stock continues to drop. I kind of wonder if he is still hurting from the knee injury in the spring. I know that he has always been a streaky hitter, but he is having a poor year all around IMO.

I have to think he will be packaged in a deal with someone to pick up some bullpen help within the next week. Anyone heard anything new regarding him?

Jpup
06-15-2006, 01:44 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-angrep15jun15,1,2306407.story?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

The decision isn't final, but the Angels appear to be leaning toward keeping rookie Jered Weaver in the rotation and moving his older brother, Jeff, to the bullpen when ace Bartolo Colon comes off the disabled list this weekend.

"He hasn't done much to hurt his case," Manager Mike Scioscia said of Jered Weaver, who is 4-0 with a 1.37 earned-run average after Tuesday's win over the Royals.

"The way he's executing pitches, he's shown he knows what to bring to the mound. He's not trying to elevate his game and do too much, and that certainly bodes well for a youngster in the big leagues."

The Angels notified teams that Jeff Weaver is available, offering to pay a chunk of what's left on his $8.325-million contract, but found little interest. The Angels have discussed a trade that would sent Ervin Santana to Tampa Bay for outfielder Carl Crawford but are extremely reluctant to part with one of their best young pitchers.

By keeping Jeff Weaver in the bullpen, where he has experience, going 1-1 with a 4.89 ERA in 15 relief appearances for the Yankees in 2002-2003, the Angels will have rotation insurance should Colon suffer a relapse of the shoulder injury that has sidelined him since April 16.

There is also a chance Jered Weaver could go back to triple-A Salt Lake.

"When you look at the whole picture and balance it out, we need to keep winning now and through the summer, and pitching depth is vital," Scioscia said. "If you're going to eject pitchers or move them around, where you negate their role, that's not something you take lightly."

Another indication Jered Weaver could stay in the rotation: He took early batting practice Wednesday with Jeff Weaver and Santana in preparation for National League games at San Francisco and Arizona next week.

"I'm not an oddsmaker," pitching coach Bud Black said, "but Jered has shown he deserves to get major league starts in the future."

In the near future?

"In the future," Black said, with a coy smile. "In his career, he'll get lots of major league starts."

Scioscia said Kelvim Escobar will remain in the rotation. Though all five starters have pitched well, providing 17 quality starts in the last 21 games, John Lackey and Santana have been a little more effective than Jeff Weaver and are expected to remain in the rotation.

Asked how he'd feel if he was demoted to the bullpen, Jeff Weaver said, "I really don't have a response. I have no control over it. I'm here to start. I know that's where my best abilities are, and until that changes, that's what I'm focusing on."

Anyone interested in Jeff Weaver, if the Angels pick up a large portion of his salary? Maybe Weaver for LaRue with LAA picking up the difference?

I'm no too high on the idea, but I though I would just throw it out there.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1150321812666&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home

Ricciardi, meanwhile, continues to listen to trade talk. With July approaching, and several teams falling out of playoff contention, some big-time pitching names are popping onto the radar screen.

The Jays continue to be linked to the Angels in trade talks. The latest rumours suggest Angels GM Bill Stoneman wants a top flight right-handed bat, and is willing to part with 23-year-old starting sensation Ervin Santana.

The price, in terms of the Jays, is Wells, which simply won't happen.

Oakland A's GM Billy Beane, a long-time Ricciardi ally, says he will trade lefty Barry Zito no matter where the A's are in the standings.

But Zito, a free agent this winter, wants a trade to a New York team if he's moved.

Ricciardi is also a fan of Florida's Dontrelle Willis — who isn't? — but the Marlins won't deal their superstar lefty unless the trade is overwhelmingly in their favour.

If Stoneman is wanting Wells for Santana, the Reds don't have a chance.

Benihana
06-15-2006, 02:37 PM
If Stoneman is wanting Wells for Santana, the Reds don't have a chance.

Santana for Kearns and ...

1. Bailey NO
2. Bruce NO
3. Wood Maybe
4. Cueto Maybe
5. Votto YES
6. Ward YES

Opinions?

Jpup
06-15-2006, 02:40 PM

1. Bailey NO
2. Bruce NO
3. Wood Maybe
4. Cueto Maybe
5. Votto YES
6. Ward YES

Opinions?

Kearns and anyone of those guys does not equal Vernon Wells. JMO.

membengal
06-15-2006, 02:42 PM
I pitched Kearns and Ward earlier in this thread, so, yeah, I am on board with that...

M2
06-15-2006, 02:43 PM

1. Bailey NO
2. Bruce NO
3. Wood Maybe
4. Cueto Maybe
5. Votto YES
6. Ward YES

Opinions?

I'd think that if the Angels want a bat like Kearns, they'd be more interested in potential help in the majors than anything from the Reds' minors.

That's why I say Kearns and Valentin for Santana and Aybar. Toss in Aurilia if need be.

membengal
06-15-2006, 02:43 PM

No, it doesn't. But Stoneman ain't getting Wells, that price is too high, the price he could get for Santana will be somewhat less than a Wells level, and Kearns + a top prospect might give him serious pause (or even another bat as M2 is suggesting...Kearns and Aurilia for Sanatana and Aybar, let's do that and give Aurilia's spot on the team to Olmedo...)

The Angels can't hit their way out of a wet paperbag right now. Kearns would pique their interest.

And, no, no interest in Jeff Weaver. He smells like moldy feet and pitches about as well...

MattyHo4Life
06-15-2006, 02:44 PM
The Rockies have apparently inquired about Crawford as well but the Rays are asking for a king's ransom.

That seems to be the norm right now. The Cardinals supposedly talked to the Pirates about Craig Wilson, and the Pirates asked for Anthony Reyes.

Jpup
06-15-2006, 02:49 PM
No, it doesn't. But Stoneman ain't getting Wells, that price is too high, the price he could get for Santana will be somewhat less than a Wells level, and Kearns + a top prospect might give him serious pause.

The Angels can't hit their way out of a wet paperbag right now. Kearns would pique their interest.

And, no, no interest in Jeff Weaver. He smells like moldy feet and pitches about as well...

I realize that, but that is what he is asking for. Why would he ask for anything less from the Reds? They would ask the Reds for Dunn. I would say no to that. I agree that they would like to have Kearns, but I don't think he would get it done for Santana. I would see what the Angels would give for LaRue because they need a catcher, or think they do anyway. Napoli has been great thus far for them.

The Angels don't want anymore "prospects". Their manager isn't too high on them after Casey Kotchman and Jeff Mathis have struggled thus far.

I think I would target Kotchman and Mathis in a deal with LAA.

M2
06-15-2006, 02:50 PM

Wells is having an amazing season, but let's not forget that he was a fairly forgettable player the previous two seasons. He's the model of a BA-driven player. When he's hot and hitting in the .300s, he's a superstar. When he's hitting in the .270s, which is most seasons, he's an afterthought.

Though I can't imagine the Jays are looking to punt Wells when they're right in the hunt after having loaded up in the offseason.

membengal
06-15-2006, 02:52 PM
I realize that, but that is what he is asking for. Why would he ask for anything less from the Reds? They would ask the Reds for Dunn. I would say no to that. I agree that they would like to have Kearns, but I don't think he would get it done for Santana. I would see what the Angels would give for LaRue because they need a catcher, or think they do anyway.

The Angels don't want anymore "prospects". Their manager isn't too high on them after Casey Kotchman and Jeff Mathis have struggled thus far.

I think I would target Kotchman and Mathis in a deal with LAA.

because everyone starts high...but if he really wants to deal and get a bat, he will have to drop back. And when he drops back, after he asks for Dunn, he may take Kearns/Aurilia or Kearns and a prospect. That is the kind of conversation that I assume Kriv is trying to have with teams that have a surplus of plus young major league arms...

M2
06-15-2006, 02:54 PM
That seems to be the norm right now. The Cardinals supposedly talked to the Pirates about Craig Wilson, and the Pirates asked for Anthony Reyes.

Reyes for a guy you don't even start on a daily basis? That's cheeky.

Mind you, Wilson should start every day for the Bucs.

Jpup
06-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Wells is having an amazing season, but let's not forget that he was a fairly forgettable player the previous two seasons. He's the model of a BA-driven player. When he's hot and hitting in the .300s, he's a superstar. When he's hitting in the .270s, which is most seasons, he's an afterthought.

Though I can't imagine the Jays are looking to punt Wells when they're right in the hunt after having loaded up in the offseason.

Who is Wells? Is he the 2006 and 2003 version or the 2004 and 2005 version? 2 great years and 3 not so great (inluding 2002). Kind of weird.

M2
06-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Who is Wells? Is he the 2006 and 2003 version or the 2004 and 2005 version? 2 great years and 3 not so great (inluding 2002). Kind of weird.

IMO, he's a new model Ellis Burks.

MattyHo4Life
06-15-2006, 03:08 PM

Yeah...I thought so too. Reyes is untouchable, but I'm afraid that Jocketty might deal Wainwright for an Outfielder. I hope he resists that temptation, and doesn't trade either Wainwright or Reyes. If that means the Cardinals don't make any major moves this year, then so be it.

M2
06-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Yeah...I thought so too. Reyes is untouchable, but I'm afraid that Jocketty might deal Wainwright for an Outfielder. I hope he resists that temptation, and doesn't trade either Wainwright or Reyes. If that means the Cardinals don't make any major moves this year, then so be it.

IMO the Cardinals need to trade something for an OF or two. Mel Mora remains my discount favorite, but I've got to believe Reyes could be had for the right return (Crawford or Abreu).

MattyHo4Life
06-15-2006, 03:35 PM
IMO the Cardinals need to trade something for an OF or two. Mel Mora remains my discount favorite, but I've got to believe Reyes could be had for the right return (Crawford or Abreu).

I don't think Reyes will be traded, at least I hope he isn't. The Cardinals only have one SP under contract for next season, and they will need both Reyes and Wainwright in the rotation. As expensive as decent and even horrible (see Ortiz, Milton, Morris, ect ect ect) are have been on the FA market the last few years, the Cardinals can't afford to trade either one.

Spitball
06-15-2006, 04:20 PM
I'd think that if the Angels want a bat like Kearns, they'd be more interested in potential help in the majors than anything from the Reds' minors.

That's why I say Kearns and Valentin for Santana and Aybar. Toss in Aurilia if need be.

Santana and Aybar? You are not going to get Santana alone for Kearns, Valentin, and Aurilia. They certainly are not going to throw in Eric (mind you this isn't Manny or Wlly) Aybar. Aybar has alot more market value as the top one or two shortstop prospects in baseball. Even with Howie Kendrick and Brandon Wood on hand, they won't make Aybar a throw in to get that package. Kendrick is their future at second and Aybar is smoother defensively than Wood, who will probably end up in the outfield or third base.

In fact, if you want to make that trade, substitute Cabrerra, his salary, and Santana for Kearns and the rest.

M2
06-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Santana and Aybar? You are not going to get Santana alone for Kearns, Valentin, and Aurilia.

Then wish them well with their last place finish.

Krusty
06-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Think this deal would fly with the Mariners:

Reds trading OF Chris Denorfia to Seattle for RHP Rafael Soriano?

KronoRed
06-15-2006, 04:53 PM
That's giving up a lot IMO for 1 MR

KronoRed
06-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Can anyone say EdE? Oh wait he's 22...;)
Yeah but the Reds love vets :devil:

If we did trade for Santana I'd hope they check his arm out thoroughly

Spitball
06-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Then wish them well with their last place finish.

If they really want to help themselves and escape last place, they will get alot more than an outfielder with lots left to prove, a third string catcher, and a utility infielder. Santana and Aybar are the kind of highly desired trading chips that should bring enough quality to fill a couple of holes or a real proven difference maker like Miguel Cabrerra.

Spitball
06-15-2006, 05:26 PM
That's giving up a lot IMO for 1 MR

I think the Reds should look for someone willing to unload a couple of quality relievers. The Cubs signed Howry and Eyre this winter thinking they'd be contending. They make too much money to be on a fifth place team. Maybe the Cubs would be willing to unload some salary for Wagner.

M2
06-15-2006, 05:50 PM
If they really want to help themselves and escape last place, they will get alot more than an outfielder with lots left to prove, a third string catcher, and a utility infielder. Santana and Aybar are the kind of highly desired trading chips that should bring enough quality to fill a couple of holes or a real proven difference maker like Miguel Cabrerra.

That assumes Cabrera will be on the block, and I don't.

If they're willing to pony up for Crawford, then they ought to be able to pony up for Kearns.

To me it's as simple as the Angels need an OFer who can supply some offense and there's no one in the system to fill the role. We'll see if an OF better than Austin Kearns gets moved this summer. I wouldn't count on that.

Supposedly they're willing to trade Santana and Aybar's got an established major leaguer in front of him and a hotter prospect behind him. So they Angels want that OF bat, they need catching help and they've got a .692 team OPS vs. southpaws (that's not a misprint, .692 team OPS vs. LHPs). They probably won't be going anywhere unless those issues are addressed. The Reds can help in all three of those areas. My view is that if I'm helping you, then you'd better be helping me.

Chip R
06-15-2006, 05:58 PM

I'm surprised PIT asked so much for him. They usually give their guys away for a song.

Mario-Rijo
06-15-2006, 06:41 PM
I think one thing we may be overlooking with the Angels situation is that they don't have and have not had all year a guy who can play CF. Thus you have Wells and Crawford thrown out there. Kearns can pull it off in a pinch but I wonder if the Angels feel he can play it for at least the remainder of the season. If so Kearns might actually be a big possibility, I would hate to see ears go but if they would actually deal Santana for him in any package (I wonder) I don't think any of us including Krivsky could turn that down. Heck I bet Austin wouldn't turn that down, he might deal himself for Santana.

Kearns, Javy and Wagner for Santana & Mathis. Send Mathis to Tripla-A and bring up Deno. Deno and Freel would then man RF. Or you could possibly try to entice them into taking on Jr. who although not a RH bat is still more than adequate for what they need and a True CF.

Spitball
06-15-2006, 07:52 PM
That assumes Cabrera will be on the block, and I don't.

I don't assume that at all, but if the Angels want to improve, they get more than you are suggesting. If a team goes shopping a package of two of baseball's very top young players, a starting pitcher and a shortstop no less, they will get far better offers than an Austin Kearns and two back-up players. If you really know how good Aybar is, then I honestly believe you know that, too.

Aybar's got an established major leaguer in front of him and a hotter prospect behind him.

That doesn't mean you throw him in a deal that already includes a starting major league pitcher to fill one hole, a corner outfielder no less. Besides, a smart team improves itself by moving Cabrerra to another team (Boston?) and using Aybar at short and Wood at third. They're both very good, but Wood is likely to be moved to another position whether Aybar stays or not.

M2
06-15-2006, 08:04 PM
That doesn't mean you throw him in a deal that already includes a starting major league pitcher to fill one hole, a corner outfielder no less. Besides, a smart team improves itself by moving Cabrerra to another team (Boston?) and using Aybar at short and Wood at third. They're both very good, but Wood is likely to be moved to another position whether Aybar stays or not.

That's not the current party line in Los Anaheim, though I agree Wood's probably headed to 3B at some point. Yet that ignores the $8 million gorilla in the room.

Orlando Cabrera is having his best season and he's signed to a big money deal through 2008. So it doesn't even matter that Wood might move. Aybar still has no spot to play on that team. He's going somewhere on the cheap someday.

Though I agree that he has Furcalian upside.

pedro
06-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Saw Howie Kendrick play here in PDX earlier this year and he's going to be very good IMO.

Spitball
06-15-2006, 09:03 PM
That's not the current party line in Los Anaheim, though I agree Wood's probably headed to 3B at some point. Yet that ignores the $8 million gorilla in the room.

Orlando Cabrera is having his best season and he's signed to a big money deal through 2008. So it doesn't even matter that Wood might move. Aybar still has no spot to play on that team. He's going somewhere on the cheap someday.

Though I agree that he has Furcalian upside.

I agree Aybar is the one likely to be traded, but the Angels would be making a huge mistake to let him go on the cheap. He is very, very good on offense and defense.

Spitball
06-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Saw Howie Kendrick play here in PDX earlier this year and he's going to be very good IMO.

He is a very good hitter and a fun player to watch. I go to see the Arkansas Travelers several times a year and have had the pleasure of witnessing several of those good Angel prospects.

BTW, what is PDX?

pedro
06-15-2006, 09:38 PM
He is a very good hitter and a fun player to watch. I go to see the Arkansas Travelers several times a year and have had the pleasure of witnessing several of those good Angel prospects.

BTW, what is PDX?

Portland, Oregon's airport code.

Krusty
06-15-2006, 09:55 PM
I would consider trading Kearns to Cleveland for LHP Cliff Lee. Lee is having a rough first half but given that he won 18 games last season, he could be another Arroyo acquistion especially with switching leagues.

TC81190
06-15-2006, 10:10 PM
I'd be worried they want to give up on a 23 year old.

I'm worried that they're gonna give up on Edwin Encarnacion. A player who hasn't played a full major leaguer season, and has hit very well in the one that he has.

What I'm more worried about is, that they give up on Edwin for crap. Arroyo is doing great, but I think that was major, major luck on Krivsky's part to trade the "next Sammy Sosa" for an aging below average pitcher, then have him do excellent. I could see him trying for the same magic again with Edwin, and shooting himself in the foot with it.

Heath
06-16-2006, 12:14 AM
Portland, Oregon's airport code.

I guess POR or PTL or PLD were already taken.

Heath
06-16-2006, 12:16 AM
I'm worried that they're gonna give up on Edwin Encarnacion. A player who hasn't played a full major leaguer season, and has hit very well in the one that he has.

What I'm more worried about is, that they give up on Edwin for crap. Arroyo is doing great, but I think that was major, major luck on Krivsky's part to trade the "next Sammy Sosa" for an aging below average pitcher, then have him do excellent. I could see him trying for the same magic again with Edwin, and shooting himself in the foot with it.

I dont see EdE leaving. He is an excellent, inexpensive, productive offensive player who needs more time at 3rd base defensively.

Thats what got done in Minnesota, remember?

KronoRed
06-16-2006, 01:49 AM
I guess POR or PTL or PLD were already taken.
POR = Too obvious

Orlando = MCO ;)

Caveat Emperor
06-16-2006, 04:54 AM
POR = Too obvious

Orlando = MCO ;)

I once got curious why booking flights to New Orleans, Louisiana required me to type in "MSY" -- utilizing 2 letters found nowhere in the city or state name.

Then I read this and learned more than I ever wanted to know about airport designations: http://www.skygod.com/asstd/abc.html

Spitball
06-16-2006, 09:21 AM
POR = Too obvious

...or confusing? Remember there are at least two Portlands, Maine and Oregon.