PDA

View Full Version : Good article about Russ Ortiz and sunk costs

cincinnati chili
06-15-2006, 12:51 AM
This is well written, but I wonder if Ortiz once wee-weed in Keith Law's Cheerios. There's some serious venom spewed here. All true. But venomous.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=law_keith&id=2483498

traderumor
06-15-2006, 07:58 AM
I agree that it is a good analysis on "sunk costs," but avoids the issue of poor decision making that lead to teams having to make such decisions. Ortiz did more than just go to a bad team, he simply fell apart.

Fortunately for the Reds, their albatross has flapped his wings a few times this year and he has at least shown value over replacement player, I would imagine. In a case like that, I would rather keep the large contract and get the production from the guy I'm paying the money if all I'm doing is bringing in a cheaper option for the same production.

Johnny Footstool
06-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Ortiz was reportedly on DanO's 2005 wish list right behind Matt Clement, Eric Milton, and Matt Morris.

M2
06-15-2006, 09:52 AM
It should be a question on the GMAT (General Manager Aptitude Test), right after the question about when employing Tony Womack would be a good idea. (The correct answer is D, "Never.")

So I guess Krivsky gets a high GMAT score.

KronoRed
06-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Ortiz was reportedly on DanO's 2005 wish list right behind Matt Clement, Eric Milton, and Matt Morris.
Wow..Milton before Morris? :eek:

LincolnparkRed
06-15-2006, 05:10 PM
I thought Morris was only a FA coming into this year? Clement & Milton were the '04 offseason, Morris was last year if I am not mistaken

Johnny Footstool
06-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Morris signed a one-year deal with the Cards prior to 2005 to try to build up his value after a mediocre 2004. It worked pretty well, and he signed a big deal with the Giants before this season.

I think I might be wrong and DanO might have wanted Morris more than Milton, but I'm not sure.

princeton
06-15-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm just curious because you already knew all of this, right?

so what makes it a good article to you? validation?