PDA

View Full Version : Report: ChiSox rookie ripped for not hitting Blaylock

Roy Tucker
06-15-2006, 12:30 PM
You can't say Ozzie doesn't take the game seriously...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2485365

Report: Rookie to be demoted for missing Blalock
ESPN.com news services

White Sox rookie pitcher Sean Tracey got into hot water with his manager Ozzie Guillen -- for getting an out.

Tracey was summoned to start the seventh inning and got Hank Blalock to ground out, but getting an out might not have been the reason Tracey was brought into the game. White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski was hit by two pitches in the game and a source told the Chicago Sun-Times that Tracey was told to hit Blalock as retaliation. Tracey threw two inside pitches to Blalock before getting him to ground out.

After getting the out, Tracey was removed from the game. Guillen slammed a water bottle to the ground when Blalock grounded out and the manager then brought Agustin Montero in to pitch. Guillen was then seen in the dugout barking at Tracey, who pulled the collar of his jersey over his head.

Guillen didn't address why he screamed at Tracey and had a different explanation why he took the rookie out of the game.

"I tried to get Montero ready [to face Blalock] and wasn't able to. It was a little late," Guillen explained. "It was my mistake. I didn't get him up quick enough. I didn't want Tracey in that situation."

Tracey refused comment.

A source told the Sun-Times that Tracey was informed he was being demoted to Triple-A after the game. "Ozzie went nuts,'' one source told the newspaper.

Pierzynski was hit by pitches his first two at-bats, prompting home plate umpire Phil Cuzzi to issue warnings to both benches in the fourth.

"I don't know what the deal was. He had pretty good control and then he runs two first pitches in on me," Pierzynski said. `Why did he do it? You're going to have to ask him. I faced him maybe two times in the National League."

Vicente Padilla didn't comment after the game.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Joseph
06-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Sounds like a trade opportunity. :)

I like the agressiveness, I really do, but sometimes [understatement?] Guillen goes overboard with these things. That said I'd rather see Narron go overboard in a smiliar situation than to let it slide.

smith288
06-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Didnt Padilla target Adam Dunn when we destroyed the Phillies? The game where Dunn was tacked from behind and Olmedo did a Matrix jump?

reds44
06-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Didnt Padilla target Adam Dunn when we destroyed the Phillies? The game where Dunn was tacked from behind and Olmedo did a Matrix jump?
:laugh:

That was an awesome brawl. Casey had someone in a headlock.

traderumor
06-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Guillen is a Latin version of Billy Martin. Now, having been dubbed the smartest manager in the game, the reviver of smallball himself, he appears to be more full of himself than one would think humanly possible. You go, Ozzie.

BoydsOfSummer
06-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Christ, Ozzie, chill out dude. That act will get tired REAL fast if/when the Sox eventually start losing again down the road. The dude is kinna funny,but he aint THAT funny.

smith288
06-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Ooops. That was SIlva, not Padilla

NJReds
06-15-2006, 01:13 PM
So he brings in a rookie to hit someone intentionally and then publicly humiliates him and demotes him to AAA. Class personified.

princeton
06-15-2006, 01:16 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46663&highlight=Pierzynski+guillen

Chip R
06-15-2006, 01:21 PM
:laugh:

That was an awesome brawl. Casey had someone in a headlock.

He was actually trying to hug that guy but he missed. ;)

Jpup
06-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Ozzie fits right in with the White Sox organization. Classy indeed.:rolleyes:

He thinks, because his pitching carried him to a championship, that he's the greatest manager ever. Give him a couple years and he'll be unemployed.

GAC
06-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Guillen is a Latin version of Billy Martin. Now, having been dubbed the smartest manager in the game, the reviver of smallball himself, he appears to be more full of himself than one would think humanly possible. You go, Ozzie.

Amen :thumbup:

I think he is alot closer to an idiot. I know he has pulled some antics last year that did not endear him to the teams/fans in the AL Central.

dsmith421
06-15-2006, 02:47 PM
I know he has pulled some antics last year that did not endear him to the teams/fans in the AL Central.

The choke sign to the Indians fans during the culminating series was ridiculous for two reasons.

1. It was unbelievably classless.
2. It came after a six-week period when the invincible White Sox and their genius manager had nearly blown a fifteen game division lead.

reds44
06-15-2006, 02:48 PM
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/10.2_Ozzie_choke_BDD.jpg

Outshined_One
06-15-2006, 02:54 PM
He also did the choke thing in Game 7 of the 2003 NLCS while he was third base coach for the Marlins.

Tracey is a decent pitching prospect (namely as a reliever), but something tells me he's now trade bait.

NJReds
06-15-2006, 02:55 PM
He should've squeezed harder.

vaticanplum
06-15-2006, 03:16 PM
The choke sign to the Indians fans during the culminating series was ridiculous for two reasons.

1. It was unbelievably classless.
2. It came after a six-week period when the invincible White Sox and their genius manager had nearly blown a fifteen game division lead.

That choke sign was directed towards a fan with whom he was having an exchange, it was a joke, and it's a perfect example of how things get blown out of proportion by fans and the media when they wish to use them for their benefit.

Hoosier Red
06-15-2006, 03:19 PM
I know this is pretty much accepted practice in baseball, but it really reminded me of John Cheney "sending in the goons."

traderumor
06-15-2006, 03:27 PM
That choke sign was directed towards a fan with whom he was having an exchange, it was a joke, and it's a perfect example of how things get blown out of proportion by fans and the media when they wish to use them for their benefit.Even if that's true, it would be easy to understand how such a motion could easily be misconstrued and is not a perfect example of things getting blown out of proportion, but just another log on the fire that Guillen is a classless fool. He seems to be very good at acting ignorantly and then coming up with some CYA response (see above article) about it being a joke or misunderstanding.

vaticanplum
06-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Even if that's true, it would be easy to understand how such a motion could easily be misconstrued and is not a perfect example of things getting blown out of proportion, but just another log on the fire that Guillen is a classless fool. He seems to be very good at acting ignorantly and then coming up with some CYA response (see above article) about it being a joke or misunderstanding.

That's fair, even though I think a lot of his responses are genuine (this one, certainly; most of the people who saw it in person did not misconstrue it the way people did when they saw that one picture). He could definitely stand to do a little more thinking before he speaks or acts. But I tend to like people like that if they get the job done. See also: Pierzynski, AJ.

KronoRed
06-15-2006, 03:51 PM
They can have Merc if they want someone who puts guys on base needlessly instead of getting outs.

NJReds
06-15-2006, 03:53 PM
They acquired David Riske from the Red Sox today for a minor league lefty relief pitcher, Javier Lopez.

Outshined_One
06-15-2006, 03:58 PM
They acquired David Riske from the Red Sox today for a minor league lefty relief pitcher, Javier Lopez.

Rumors have been swirling that the White Sox acquired Riske for the express purpose of throwing at some one against Texas, but word is Riske won't be with the White Sox until they play Cincy.

Spitball
06-15-2006, 04:17 PM
I don't mean to highjack this thread, but I have a related question. Last night I was alternately watching four games back and forth with the remote (family hates it when I do that). Yankees and Indians, Cubs and Astros, Cards and Pirates, and White Sox and Rangers were all on. I could have sworn I saw Randy Johnson hit Eduardo Perez and get thrown from the game. Scott Proctor was brought in and was warming up so I visited the other games. When I went back, Perez was still batting. Did he not get hit with the pitch? I must have missed something.

Danny Serafini
06-15-2006, 04:26 PM
The pitch just missed him.

NJReds
06-15-2006, 04:30 PM
RJ got tossed because both benches had been warned the previous inning when Jason Johnson plunked Jorge Posada.

Spitball
06-15-2006, 04:30 PM
The pitch just missed him.

Thanks, Danny. :) I really thought I saw the pitch hit him.

vaticanplum
06-15-2006, 04:33 PM
RJ got tossed because both benches had been warned the previous inning when Jason Johnson plunked Jorge Posada.

Johnson and Torre have both been suspended as well, Torre for one game and Johnson for five, due to start June 16.

Kind of absurd when we were just talking this morning about the "unspoken rules" of retaliation, then Johnson, a starting pitcher, gets tossed for five games when Perez wasn't even hit. You know what's not an unspoken rule? Nailing an opposing player in the face, like Michael Barrett did, and he got 10 games as a catcher. Unbelievable.

NJReds
06-15-2006, 04:35 PM
RJ got a huge ovation from the fans last night as he walked off the field.

penantboundreds
06-15-2006, 10:13 PM
well 5 games for a pitcher makes sure they miss a start in the rotation, i likethat, that should be the minimum suspension for a pitcher and also jason johnson did not mean to hit posada, posada over reacted like the 7 year old he is and randy had no business throwing at perez .... basically rj gets a 1 day suspension and they pitch mussina on three days rest one game (or wang or whoever and their rotation is back in order, you can't have unwritten rules. it is just dumb. obviously it isn't an unwritten rule or he wouldn't be suspended. what i want to know is why was he suspended and arroyo not for throwing at brady clark?

NJReds
06-16-2006, 09:17 AM
J. Johnson buzzed a couple of Yankees last night before plunking Posada. Posada overreacted, but it's about time a Yankee pitcher brushed back an opposing player. RJ didn't even hit Perez. I guess Ozzie would've sent him down to the minors.

RJ's suspension is no big deal. He'll appeal until the day after an off day, and then take the extra day rest w/out upsetting the rotation. Torre's been giving him 5 days off from time to time anyway.

flyer85
06-16-2006, 09:19 AM
You can't say Ozzie doesn't take the game seriously...
but I can say he is a donkey for his his dugout display.

smith288
06-16-2006, 09:49 AM
How about Bronson grooving one over Brady Clark...that didnt get anyone thrown out yet the message was being sent.

I think umpires are just wussies.

Chip R
06-16-2006, 10:43 AM
How about Bronson grooving one over Brady Clark...that didnt get anyone thrown out yet the message was being sent.

I think umpires are just wussies.

It's so subjective. One ump will let boys be boys but another one might not stand for any crap.

NJReds
06-16-2006, 10:47 AM
The umpire in the Yankee game the other night didn't issue the warning intially. After Posada's jawing initiated the benches to empty, he issued the warning.

Chip R
06-16-2006, 11:37 AM
The umpire in the Yankee game the other night didn't issue the warning intially. After Posada's jawing initiated the benches to empty, he issued the warning.

That's just a lack of control right there. Is this guy going to issue warnings every time someone complains about an inside pitch?

reds44
06-16-2006, 11:39 AM
That's just a lack of control right there. Is this guy going to issue warnings every time someone complains about an inside pitch?
No,no it wasn't like he was just complaining. He had some "choice" words for the pitcher and the pitcher had some "choice" words for Posada. I had the game on, and IMO the warnings were rightly issued.

NJReds
06-16-2006, 11:49 AM
No,no it wasn't like he was just complaining. He had some "choice" words for the pitcher and the pitcher had some "choice" words for Posada. I had the game on, and IMO the warnings were rightly issued.

Yes, Posada was taking his time going up the line and had his bat in hand. JJohnson came off the mound and was yelling back. The benches emptied and the umpire issued the warning.

NJReds
06-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Claussen should plunk the first batter tonight. That would make for an interesting weekend.

traderumor
06-16-2006, 12:59 PM
It's so subjective. One ump will let boys be boys but another one might not stand for any crap.Agree, and that is why the rule should be eliminated. Make the penalty for leaving the bench, ala hockey, where the motives are clear instead of forcing the ump to decide that Arroyo was sending a message to Clark (which he was, but Clark should have been thrown from the game for sliding into a player six feet away from home plate). BTW, cheap plays are piling up for Clark--leaning into pitches with his elbow pad, sliding into catchers that are six feet away from the plate...

BoydsOfSummer
06-16-2006, 01:06 PM
If nobody leaves the bench,the pitcher and batter may indeed have to fight. Then someone could really get hurt. :D

Chip R
06-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Agree, and that is why the rule should be eliminated. Make the penalty for leaving the bench, ala hockey, where the motives are clear instead of forcing the ump to decide that Arroyo was sending a message to Clark (which he was, but Clark should have been thrown from the game for sliding into a player six feet away from home plate). BTW, cheap plays are piling up for Clark--leaning into pitches with his elbow pad, sliding into catchers that are six feet away from the plate...

I agree that anyone leaving the benches or bullpens should be penalized. Of course you would have to include the defensive players on the field too. I think common sense has to be used a lot more in these situations. If someone gets plunked on the butt, there doesn't need to be a huge brawl.

Clark sounds like he's trying to become Biggio, Jr. Basically doing every scrappy thing he can to succeed whether it be taking out a catcher up the line or getting hit by a pitch. I'm glad Arroyo protects his teammates. He seems to be the only pitcher on this staff capable of doing that. I believe MIL hit Kearns a couple of times in one game the last time they played. At the time I was saying the next time Jenkins comes up, he should get nailed. Right fielder for right fielder. I think the Reds have let other teams get away with hitting their guys for too long now.

Roy Tucker
06-16-2006, 02:03 PM
I think the Reds have let other teams get away with hitting their guys for too long now.
I'll second that. I think the problem has been:

a.) The Reds pitchers lack good enough control to actually hit somebody.
b.) With a traditionally gas-can of a staff, they don't want to put anyone else on base.

Chip R
06-16-2006, 02:22 PM
I'll second that. I think the problem has been:

a.) The Reds pitchers lack good enough control to actually hit somebody.
b.) With a traditionally gas-can of a staff, they don't want to put anyone else on base.

I think the latter point is probably more true than the first. We have had guys with good control but they never pitched inside, much less hit guys.

traderumor
06-16-2006, 03:30 PM
I think the Reds have let other teams get away with hitting their guys for too long now.Yea, I have been complaining about that as a problem for the last 2-3 years. And not just in retribution, but the art of pitching inside in general. Pitching is not for the faint of heart anymore than hitting is. You have a hard object in your hand that can really hurt someone, but to be successful, you must fling it as hard as you can on either the inside corner or the outside corner. Our guys are starting to come around a little bit and are reclaiming the inside corner, but still, too many hitters dig in with a scouting report that says "Reds pitchers do not work much inside, so get comfortable in there."

KronoRed
06-16-2006, 03:44 PM
but I can say he is a donkey for his his dugout display.
Yep, seems to me he's a big LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME guy, winning games is secondary

I guess the manager really doesn't make a difference in winning a world series if that guy won one.

TeamBoone
06-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Nothing like totally breaking this young guy's confidence. Did you see him in the dugout? Talk about dejected. What a horrible thing for your manager to do, and then ship him back to the minors to boot.

I feel really really sorry for him, and I'm hoping they trade him to a new home.