PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite player

Ltlabner
06-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Your all time favorite player. Who is he, and why?

Past or present. Any team.

Or, who is your favorite current Red?

reds44
06-16-2006, 12:42 PM
If I had to narrow it down to 1, it would probably be Edwin. He is a young guy that really has a love for the game, and has enormous talent.

However I really like EE, BP, Felipe, and Elizardo.

dabvu2498
06-16-2006, 12:46 PM
Current: Brandon Phillips in his brief stint so far has displayed talent and a drive and passion for the game.

All-time: Barry Larkin... I also really like Greg Vaughn in '99.

Tommyjohn25
06-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Current- Austin Kearns

All Time- Paul O'Neill

BuckWoody
06-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Current - probably Griffey because my wife really dislikes him and I am constantly defending him and trying to sway her...but to no avail.

All-Time - Davey Concepcion, and there really is no second place. He played the game and carried himself off the field with equal amounts of style and grace. To this day when I haul my carcass up to the plate in a beer-league softball game, I have #13 across my back...that will never change. :) It makes no sense that guys like Phil Rizzuto and Pee Wee Reese are in the HoF and Davey is not...where you play should make no difference, but it obviously does. :angry:

RichRed
06-16-2006, 01:07 PM
All-time: George Foster, because he was my first favorite player as a kid and he was the only player to hit 50+ HRs in a season in a 25-year span.

Current: Adam Dunn, just because (don't want to open that can of worms).

westofyou
06-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Al Kaline - Because he did the right thing all the time and never made himself or anybody else look bad.

Then Barry Larkin, a player who was always a joy to watch.

steig
06-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Current: Griffey -- I just grew up watching him dominate in the 90's and I always enjoy seeing that sweet swing.

All Time Favorite : Sabo -- played the game right. Close second was Dibble.

REDREAD
06-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Current: Juan Castro :lol: Just kiding.. current favorite is Jr.

Past: Tie between Larkin and Eric Davis.

RedsManRick
06-16-2006, 01:35 PM
All time: Barry Larkin.

Born in 1982. I played SS in little league. He played SS in the big leagues. And he was awesome. It's that easy.

Now? Hard to say. I would say Dunn but his laissez faire attitude is less than endearing. It used to be Casey. Personality wise, I actually like Eric Milton quite a bit. Overall, personality and on the field, I'm going to have to say Junior. But there's no one guy right now who is really "my guy" the way Larkin was.

dougdirt
06-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Ken Griffey Jr, yesterday, today and tomorrow.

bucksfan
06-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Current - Dunn / Kearns / Lopez are in the running for me. Junior would have to be still #1. If Sean Casey were still with the Reds I think he might be. I guess him being with Pittsburg should not diminish his star, eh - but I see so little of him now it's hard for me to list him as my favorite.

All-time - Tony Perez, no one else close for me. Mario Soto comes next.

RedsFanInMD
06-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Current: Dunn (when he's on) and B Phillips (I love this guy!)

All Time: Johnny Bench

MartyFan
06-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Hands down....Davey Concepcion...I loved watching him. I was like 8 and saw him play...he was an inovator in the game...he was the first to bounce the ball off the turf to 1B to add zip and improve range for his plays deep in the pocket...he was a class guy.

To this point...of the current crop and the last several years...Brandon Phillips...I want to see him keep his average above 260 and keep fielding and running the way he has been and then I want to see him moved to SS...have Lopez at either 2B or 3B...EE has plenty of upside but his fielding is horrible (so is Lopez to this point this year).

Sean_CaseyRules
06-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Current-Ryan Freel, gotta love his effort guys!
All-Time-Only being 16, playing 1st base, and being number 21, I have to go with Sean! He still is the Mayor to me!

deltachi8
06-16-2006, 01:56 PM
All Time: Johnny Bench, the reason I chose to be a catcher growing up.

Current: Ken Griffey Jr.

Redhook
06-16-2006, 02:06 PM
All-Time: Eric Davis, without a doubt. I loved watching him play. Power, speed, great defense.

Current: Juan Castro, now that he's back with the Reds. In my mind, he's the epitome of a player with the total package ;) . Seriously though, my current favorite player is Bronson Arroyo.

OnBaseMachine
06-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Current: Adam Dunn

All-time: Ken Griffey Jr., Eric Davis, Barry Larkin, Adam Dunn.

BoydsOfSummer
06-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Past: John Bench. Like deltachi,he is the reason I wanted to catch. Well,that, and I had the natural range of a catcher.:laugh:

Current: Not sure anyone has replaced Lark yet for me,but Double E could be a successor.

edabbs44
06-16-2006, 02:24 PM
All time: JB without a doubt.

Current: Not sure, probably either Dunn or Kearns.

Least favorite current and all time: Rick White

TStuck
06-16-2006, 02:31 PM
All Time - Johnny Bench - growing up in the 70s I had a Johnny Bench T-shirt that my parents couldn't peel off of me for a couple of summers. Wore that thing till it was a rag.

Current - Jr. has always been a favorite of mine and I am really starting to fall in love with Brandon Phillips.

No matter how maddening this team is at times (or how miserable some past years have been) I love my Redlegs!!!

cumberlandreds
06-16-2006, 02:45 PM
All time favorite is Pete Rose the ballplayer not the man. A very close second is Johnny Bench.

Don't really have any current players as favorites. I root for whoever is playing with the Reds.

EddieMilner
06-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Current - Hatteberg, the guy just gets on base.

All time - Eddie Milner, he lived two doors down and would always throw my friends and I batting practice when we were kids. Pete Rose for his play though and Ted K. for those old pictures of him going sleeveless and making me wet myself.

Spitball
06-16-2006, 03:09 PM
...for those old pictures of him going sleeveless and making me wet myself. :eek: At first, I thought your Hatteberg answer was strange...

Current: Ken Griffey, Bronson Arroyo, Manny Ramirez

All-time: Johnny Bench, Jose Rijo, Louie Tiant

I need more than one per category

boognish
06-16-2006, 03:17 PM
All-time: Len Dykstra (barely inches out Barry Larkin). When I was a kid, he and Tony Phillips were so much fun to watch work the pitcher.

Current Red: Aaron Harang. It's always a lot of fun to see someone who wasn't projected to be all that great continually improve through the first part of his peak years...as a fan who doesn't know any better, I attribute it all to hard work.

Currently, Brandon Phillips is my favorite everyday player to watch, and I hope he can sustain his success. It's hard not to pull for someone enjoying himself as much as he seemingly does; especially after his purpoted "attitude problems" in Cleveland.

Reds1
06-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Current: Griffey

All-Time - Griffey and Pete Rose tie!

Cyclone792
06-16-2006, 04:10 PM
All-Time favorites - Barry Larkin, Ty Cobb, Ted Williams and basically any and all of the game's greatest players.

Current favorites - Any current player who has a deserving and legitimate shot at the Hall of Fame.

I've read so much on the great players in the game's history that I'm oftentimes left wishing I could have seen all those guys play. That has forced me to appreciate today's great players even more. To me it's a privilege to watch today's greats play, just as it was a privilege for fans 20 or 120 years ago watch the greats from those times.

LINEDRIVER
06-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Fav Current Red: Junior Griffey

All-time Fav Red: Pete Rose. He gave me more thrills and chills than anybody else in the 60's, in the 70's, and in the 80's.

VI_RedsFan
06-16-2006, 04:15 PM
Current: Ken Griffey Jr.

All-time: Barry Larkin

Coffeybro
06-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Current: Todd , of course you all saw that coming.

Past: I will probably get negative rp points but growing up I was a Braves fan and would have to say Dale Murphy. Still am really but blood overrules past team affiliations. Favorite Past Red would have to be Dibble.

CySeymour
06-16-2006, 04:30 PM
All-Time : Johnny Bench. When we were kids, you would write one of three names inside your cap: Bench, Rose, or Morgan...mine was always Bench.

Current : Adam Dunn, mostly because he's my son's favorite.

Tommyjohn25
06-16-2006, 04:32 PM

Past: I will probably get negative rp points but growing up I was a Braves fan and would have to say Dale Murphy. Still am really but blood overrules past team affiliations. Favorite Past Red would have to be Dibble.

I actually latched on to Dale Murphy as well when I was a kid, still hated the Braves of course but for some reason the way Murphy played the game appealed to my young eyes.

vaticanplum
06-16-2006, 04:36 PM

I had an ENORMOUS crush on Dale Murphy when I was a kid. I would be interested to know whether he was actually good-looking or not. Hmm.

KronoRed
06-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Past: Ken Griffey JR

Present: Adam Dunn

:D

RedLegSuperStar
06-17-2006, 12:22 AM
nice thread!

My favorites by position:

C - Johnny Bench
1st - Lou Gehrig
2nd - Joe Morgan
SS - Cal Ripken Jr.
3rd - Mike Schmidt
OF - Ken Griffey Jr.
OF - Babe Ruth
OF - Ted Williams

IowaRed
06-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Impossible to pick 1

Favorites Past-Morgan, Bench, Rose, Griffey Sr., Perez, Davey, Foster, Willie Mays, Frank Robinson, Sabo, O'neill, Bret Boone

Least Favorites Past-any Cub and any Dodger player from the 70's or 80's, any Red Sox player from the 70's or 80's

Favorites Current-Freel, Kearns, Dunn, Casey, A-Rod

Least Favorite Current-any Cub, Edmonds, Schilling

Bay Area Red
06-17-2006, 01:15 AM
Buddy Bell-- he was the first big trade acquisition for the Reds when I was growing up... even though his best days were pre Reds.

tripleaaaron
06-17-2006, 03:23 AM
Current: Ken Griffey Jr. He has the best swing ever in baseball, although I once really dug Chili Davis entire swing routine.
All Time: Tie. Ken Griffey Jr. see above. I really enjoyed watching him w/ the mariners as well, and despite his injuries, amidst all the steroid allegations of others he is probably the greatest NATURAL player of the last two decades,
Barry Larkin, Grew up watching this guy play and he amazed me everytime, no he wasn't the greatest at any one category, but his overall play and excellence at every category places him among the best shortstops to ever play the game, also the first glove I ever owned was a barry larkin signed glove
Favorite player I never got to watch play in person: Johnny Bench. Was too young to get to see him in his prime, but as a catcher through most of my career, bench was the natural selection, even got to work with him in a baseball camp once.

Tornon
06-17-2006, 05:00 AM
For some reason I have loved Austin Kearns ever since he came up

KittyDuran
06-17-2006, 10:28 AM
For some reason I have loved Austin Kearns ever since he came upSame here... might be because he's seems to be a throw-back to another era.

All time: Bench

b_combs23
06-17-2006, 10:35 AM
present: Austin Kearns because I love the way he plays and I grew up around the Lexington area. Also Aaron Harang, who has been our most consistant player for some time now.

past: pete rose

least favorite all time any team: adam dunn

Jpup
06-17-2006, 12:01 PM
All Time: Eric Davis.

Current Red: Austin Kearns, although, Dunn is up there about to pass him. I like watching Jr. hit, as everyone does, but I can't stand him in the field. Aaron Harang is very high on the list as well.

Current from another team: It's really hard to say, but I guess it would be Dontrelle Willis. He's such a joy to watch. I really like watching Jake Peavy pitch as well. I'm a sucker for good pitching. As far as a posistion players, I guess Derek Jeter.

Lest favorite player all time: Sammy Sosa or Pedro Martinez

RedRoser
06-17-2006, 01:08 PM
All-time Red/All-time Player/Childhood Idol------Pete Rose. At the age of 46, I still have a burning passion for this game due in large part to watching him play in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. :)

Favorite recent Red---Barry Larkin.

Favorite recent Red now playing for another team---Todd Walker.

Favorite Reds re: Style of Play---Pete Rose, Chris Sabo, Ryan Freel

Favorite current Red---Austin Kearns

Current Red most likely to join my favorites least---Brandon Phillips

Favorite Reds manager of All-time: George "Sparky" Anderson

Favorite Reds team(s): The Big Red Machine of the 70's. High school and life in general just wouldn't have been the same without the joy that following the Reds brought to my life during these years! :D

---RedRoser

GAC
06-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Pete Rose - he showed a undersized little leaguer how to succeed at baseball through shear determination when others thought he was too small to amount to anything. His style of play was a great boost to my self-confidence.

Current? Dunn. But Phillips is growing on me. I've always been partial to 2Bman. ;)

MWM
06-17-2006, 01:39 PM
All time - Barry Larkin, then Eric Davis and Dale Murphy

Now - Scott Rolen. I love the way he plays baseball and I think he's the best defensive third baseman of all time. It kills me that he plays for the Cards.

DropDocK
06-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Past: Barry Larkin (but royally ticked that I never got to see Johnny play). Barry was the first I latched onto for whatever reason. He always seemed to be making the big play or have the clutch hit.

Current: Kearns cause he's a complete player.
Then I always liked Junior for how natural he is and Phillips is rapidly becoming a favorite.

Shaknb8k
06-18-2006, 02:09 AM
Little background history of my childhood favorite players (back then i had strick rules that my favorite player would never play for another team other than Cincinnati so you can see how i changed my favorite player over time)

My first favorite player was Chris Sabo after that I went with Bret Boone once he left I had to go with Aaron Boone who was my favorite player when i truely evolved into a die hard fan. When i think of my childhood favorite player i definatly think of #17 Aaron Boone.....that leads me to the present:

Current: Ken Griffey Jr.....As i have said in many of my post there is something about the "Babe Ruth" of my generation playing for your favorite team. Its just something that is hard to explain.

All-time Red: Probably has to be Pete Rose. I wish i was alive to watch how he played the game.

All-time Favorite: Tyrus Raymond Cobb. He had more desire to win than any other player who ever played the game. He put winning before everything. Master of the Mind Games. Cobb is considered the first person in the Hall of Fame because he had the highest voting % of the first and best class ever to enter the Hall of Fame. Visit Cooperstown for yourself and see who stands out more than any other player. His plaque is in the center of the back wall; He is the only player who has an entire layout in the museum devoted solely to him. Clearly the people in charge of the Hall of Fame now want to continue to show the views of the original voters that stated that Cobb was a better baseball player than Honus Wagner, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson and Babe Ruth. Ruth might have had a much larger impact on the game of baseball but on the field I will take Cobb over any player who has ever picked a bat up.

redsrule2500
06-18-2006, 02:31 AM
Current: Ryan Freel
All Time: Either Griffey or Sean Casey. I love guys hitting for average as Casey did many seasons, with many solid base hits - But Griffey's swing is perfection.

dman
06-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Past - Dale Murphy; He always carried himself as a professional, never bad mouthed the competition, and his off field character always matched up with what you thought he would be when you saw him on field.

Current - Greg Maddux; For a lot of the same reasons that I like Dale Murphy. Maddux is a gamer. I've followed him since he came up in the Majors. I can't recall Maddux ever mouthing back to batters or umps nor can I recall him throwing at batters intentionally

RedsBaron
06-18-2006, 09:51 AM
25 years ago naming my favorite player of all time would have been easy. Pete Rose was the player I idolized as a kid and followed pretty much his whole career. I guess Pete remains my favorite player, for all his personal failings.
Othe past Reds favorites include Tony Perez, perhaps the best person to ever wear a Reds uniform; Johnny Bench, still the greatest catcher ever; Joe Morgan, both the greatest all-around Reds player ever and one of the very worst annoucers ever; Davey Concepcion; Don Gullett; Gary Nolan; Paul o'Neill; Eric Davis; Jose Rijo; and Perez's chief rival as the best person to ever wear a Reds unifrom, George "Sparky" Anderson.
Favorite non-Reds include Ken Boyer, my first boyhood hero, a great thirdbaseman, and a quiet team leader; and Sandy Koufax, still the greatest pitcher ever for peak value and a classy person.
Two guys I wished I could have seen play: Ted Williams and Jackie Robinson.
Current favorites would include Ken Griffey, Jr., and Adam Dunn.

RFS62
06-18-2006, 09:57 AM
25 years ago naming my favorite player of all time would have been easy. Pete Rose was the player I idolized as a kid and followed pretty much his whole career. I guess Pete remains my favorite player, for all his personal failings.
Othe past Reds favorites include Tony Perez, perhaps the best person to ever wear a Reds uniform; Johnny Bench, still the greatest catcher ever; Joe Morgan, both the greatest all-around Reds player ever and one of the very worst annoucers ever; Davey Concepcion; Don Gullett; Gary Nolan; Paul o'Neill; Eric Davis; Jose Rijo; and Perez's chief rival as the best person to ever wear a Reds unifrom, George "Sparky" Anderson.
Favorite non-Reds include Ken Boyer, my first boyhood hero, a great thirdbaseman, and a quiet team leader; and Sandy Koufax, still the greatest pitcher ever for peak value and a classy person.
Two guys I wished I could have seen play: Ted Williams and Jackie Robinson.
Current favorites would include Ken Griffey, Jr., and Adam Dunn.

Wow, take Ken Boyer out of that list and replace him with Willie Mays and mine would be pretty much identical for the boyhood favorites.

Junior has been my current favorite ever since I first saw that sweet swing.

IrishDavidKY
06-18-2006, 12:16 PM
ALL TIME: Pete Rose, George Foster, Eric Davis

CURRENT: Phillips, Griffey Jr., Kearns

deltachi8
06-18-2006, 12:23 PM

I am 37 and still use my circa 1981-82ish Dale Murphy model Rwalings glove.

IowaRed
06-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Lots of Dale Murphy mentions here. Wondering if anybody has any extra details about an incident I sort of remember from the early to mid 80's. Atlanta was in a beanball war with somebody and it was the Braves turn to be plunked and Murphy was the guy. Of course, everybody liked and respected Murphy who never said a bad thing about anybody and always exemplified true class and sportsmanship. So because of the circumstances, the other team's pitcher was pretty much forced to throw at Murphy and he did, at about 40 MPH which Murphy easily avoided. If I remember correctly he was immediately tossed and walked off without saying a word. Am I making this up?

westofyou
06-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Lots of Dale Murphy mentions here. Wondering if anybody has any extra details about an incident I sort of remember from the early to mid 80's. Atlanta was in a beanball war with somebody and it was the Braves turn to be plunked and Murphy was the guy. Of course, everybody liked and respected Murphy who never said a bad thing about anybody and always exemplified true class and sportsmanship. So because of the circumstances, the other team's pitcher was pretty much forced to throw at Murphy and he did, at about 40 MPH which Murphy easily avoided. If I remember correctly he was immediately tossed and walked off without saying a word. Am I making this up?

Of other note:

Dale has never been ejected from a baseball game.

Dale once apologized to Bruce Sutter for hitting a home run off him.

http://members.aol.com/brave3/stories.htm

dman
06-18-2006, 03:17 PM
On June 12, 1983 Dale visited a 6-year old girl in the stands who had lost both arms and a leg in a power line accident. The girl's nurse asked Murphy if he would hit a home run for the girl. Flustered as he was, Dale could only mumble "Well, O.K." That night he hit not one but two home runs and drove in all three runs in a 3-2 Braves victory.

That's the kind of stuff I like to hear. This guy was truly in a class of his own. Brings back some good baseball memories for me.

dabvu2498
06-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Model #RBG 36, yes?

I looked at that model number many times.

wolfboy
06-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Today was father's day, and I pulled out my well worn Dave Winfield Rawlings glove to toss with my stepfather. I hadn't tossed a ball in at least 6 years. I got him tickets to a Reds game next month, so why not toss the ball in the back yard?
I started thinking about the glove and realized that Winfield hadn't played in over 10 years. He was one of my favorite players. Don Mattingly was another. I'd have to say my all-time favorite (that I saw play) was/is Roger Clemens. The guy has been incredible over his career. My favorite Red now is Aaron Harang. I love having a Reds starting pitcher that makes me believe. All time Reds player is probably Eric Davis. When he came up with the Reds it seemed like he could do anything. He was just an unbelievable guy to watch in his brief prime.

MWM
06-19-2006, 02:11 AM
I met Dale when I was 12 and he signed a baseball for me. It's the only sports memorabilia I still have.

And he lives right around the corner from my wife's uncle.

RANDY IN INDY
06-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Past- Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Brooks Robinson, Willie Mays, Dave Concepcion.

Current- Austin Kearns, Ken Griffey Jr.

MississippiRed
06-19-2006, 10:46 AM
All time: Johnny Bench. I was a 5-year-old catcher in 1968 when he was ROY. The reason I am a Reds fan to this day. Close, though, is Barry Larkin. I watched him in a NCAA regional tournament here at Mississippi State in 1985, where he dominated. State had a great team that year and was lucky to get past Michigan at home. I was so happy when he became a Red!

Now, Griffey. I really hate it that injuries slowed his career so much in his prime. Before that, I felt that he had a chance to be the best player ever, not just the best Red ever.

Red Taylor
06-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Junior

gonelong
06-19-2006, 01:11 PM

I left mine at a softball tourny a few years ago, still unhappy about that.

GL

Sweetstop
06-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Barry Larkin...hope to go to Cooperstown to see him inducted someday

westofyou
06-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Barry Larkin...hope to go to Cooperstown to see him inducted someday
I'd make that trip.

Brandon4MVP
06-19-2006, 04:57 PM
brandon phillips b/c he is my brother.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Current: Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey, Jr.

All-time: Eric Davis, Johnny Bench, George Foster, Ken Griffey, Sr.

reds44
06-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Sweet!

:beerme:

Chip R
06-19-2006, 06:13 PM

So he's not heavy, then? ;)

nineworldseries
06-19-2006, 09:43 PM
My favorite player is Art Howe... I really have no clue why, I was just a huge Astros fan when I was a kid and I got to meet him and others (inc. Nolan Ryan) in 1983 as a 4 year old.

My favorite current Red is Ryan Freel by far... but I'm also partial to Scott Hatteberg.

goreds2
07-11-2006, 07:50 PM
All time favorite Red: Pete Rose

All Time favorite among an opposing team: Al Hrabosky

My High School team saw Al pitch against the Reds in 1980.
It was the most fun to see him slam the ball in his glove then go to the mound! The crowd went nuts acting like it was a post season game.
The Reds ended up winning the game in the bottom of the 9th on a Dave Concepcion Homerun.

BuckWoody
07-11-2006, 08:11 PM
All time favorite Red: Pete Rose

All Time favorite opposing team: Al Hrabosky

My High School team saw Al pitch against the Reds in 1980.
It was the most fun to see him slam the ball in his glove then go to the mound! The crowd went nuts acting like it was a post season game.
The Reds ended up winning the game in the bottom of the 9th on a Dave Concepcion Homerun.
That's what I'm talkin' about! :KoolAid:

fisch11
07-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Barry Larkin was my favorite player growing up. Always wore 11 because of him. At the same time I was watching that Kid from the Mariners tear up for a decade, to become my favorite non-Red baseball player. I guess you could call it karma that Jr. is here now, and that I got to watch him and Barry (great friends) interact with each other. Jr. has taken the spot of Barry since his retirement. I miss the old days of the Kid with his hat on backwards, tearing up homerun derby's at will. My favorite young gun of the Reds now? Brandon Phillips is really starting to grow on me. Humble guy that plays like he is 12.

HumnHilghtFreel
07-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Current and All-time is Kenny Lofton, just because I grew up watching him play and I love the style of the speedy guy who can swipe a base at any time.

My favorite current Red probably has to be BP

redsupport
07-11-2006, 09:42 PM
all time favorite a tie between Kelly Paris and Neil Fiala I do not know how to break that Gordian knot. Any suggestions?

GAC
07-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Current: Phillips

All-Time: Rose and Cobb

KoryMac5
07-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Current: Ken Griffey Jr. I have a bobblehead of his and I always pat his head and hope for a Reds win. Or ask him how my wife looks when we go out for a date. Somehow he always ends up shaking his head up and down vigorously when this question is posed much to her delight.

All Time: Loved Bench but only got to see him play a couple of times. I was ten when he retired. Saw Larkin when he broke in and knew he would be a star.

TOBTTReds
07-12-2006, 12:34 AM
ED.

Immitated him in the back yard more than anyone else. Close 2nd is Sabo.

redhawkfish
07-12-2006, 11:13 AM
All time favorite player George Brett

All time favorite Red Eric Davis

Red in Atl
07-12-2006, 12:19 PM
From the current squad, I'd have to say Brandon Philips. I sat near a bunch of his buddies Friday night in Atlanta. They were a hoot. And they loved the idea of Brandon to short. Dunn is a close second. He has some great lines.

Since my first memory of MLB is the BRM winning in '75, I'd have to say that whole damn team. At least the starting eight. I mean how could you not love everyone of those guys. You have to have them up there somewhere.

My Grandpa would say Ernie Lombardi. I remember him telling me how Lombardi would hit the ball so hard it would hit the wall, and then bounce all the way back to the infield. And all he'd get was a single. My Grandpa wasn't a huge sports guy, but the twinkle in his eye when he recounted that memory is one reason why I love baseball.

But for me, no one has yet to replace Jose Rijo. That guy loved to play, loved to pitch, loved to have fun. He still loves to teach, and he loves the Reds. What more could you want from a player?

Reaching behind his back to pick up the grounder during the 1990 series just sums it up for me. He was so cool and non-chalant when he did it. Just like he did about everything else.

macro
07-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Favorite All-Time: Johnny Bench, but George Foster was up there, too.

Favorite Current: Todd Coffey

nmculbreth
07-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Current Red - Brandon Phillips
All Time Red - Eric Davis

Current Non-Red - David Wright
All Time Non-Red - Cal Ripken Jr.

terminator
07-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Past player: Pete Rose. I loved watching him hustle. A Cincinnati native and one of the greatest players of all time.

Current Red: Griffey. He may have lost a little bit due to his injuries, but he still has most of it left and it is a pleasure to watch a smooth, fluid Hall of Famer like him.