PDA

View Full Version : Possible Targets For The Reds

RedLegSuperStar
06-16-2006, 11:04 PM
I have got a list of rumored players that could be dealt at the deadline that the Redleg should at least attempt to obtain:

Joey Gathright - Their has been rumors that have Junior moving to either LF or RF. Even Ken Sr. has been rumored talking to Junior to really think about a move to a corner spot to prolong his career. Gathright would move into CF and Junior to LF with Kearns in RF. Where's Dunn? Stick him at first. He may not be even average at 1st yet but he would provide the most potent line-up. Joey gives you someone to build a team around and a everyday leadoff hitter.

Tim Hudson - Yes the Braves may not win the Division and could deal one of theie ace's at the deadline. He gives us everything we have been looking for in a starter. Great innings guy, groundball pitcher, and a proven track record. Would take over the one spot in the rotation with Claussen moved to the pen.

Tony Armas Jr. - Young starter who plays for the Nationals which went on record as saying they were ready for a fire sale mid May. Armas would be a good 3rd/4th starter. Armas 5-1 in his last 10 games missed all last season but could be a the unknown talent at the deadline.

Kyle Lohse - Another young talent and one of Krivski's former mates in Minnesota. With a 2-4 record and a 9.00 ERA might scare some folks. But I think a new team might be best. Could possibly be put in the rotation or used in long relief. With those numbers might even come at a cheaper price.

Freddy Garcia - Why the White Sox would want to deal him baffles me but I would bite. Like Hudson would become our staff ace.

Jason Schmidt - The NL East is a tight race. With the Giants only 2 games back it may be hard for SF to deal Jason. He is a FA at seasons end so a good chance for SF to get something for nothing. Same as Garcia and Hudson would become our staff ace.

savafan
06-16-2006, 11:07 PM
I'd target Schmidt, but if the price is too high, Armas wouldn't be a bad second option.

Arroyo
Harang
Armas
Milton
Ramirez

Doesn't look too bad right there.

redsfan4445
06-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Here is another idea for the bullpen

According to the Los Angeles Times reliever Brendan Donnelly has grown frustrated with his lack of playing time and told the media he hoped the Angels wouldn't "hold me back from helping someone else."

he has been pretty good and has to be btter than White and Weathers in our pen.. plus he is hungry to prove the Angels have made a mistake with him...

RedLegSuperStar
06-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Here is another idea for the bullpen

According to the Los Angeles Times reliever Brendan Donnelly has grown frustrated with his lack of playing time and told the media he hoped the Angels wouldn't "hold me back from helping someone else."

he has been pretty good and has to be btter than White and Weathers in our pen.. plus he is hungry to prove the Angels have made a mistake with him...

I think you could have a contest winner each night at the ballpark and 7 out of 10 would be better suited then White. But seriously I've been preaching it heavily lately but this team has got to something to stay in the hunt. Pujols is just about ready to take batting practice and Roger made his last comeback start. It's going to be a huge uphill climb once those 2 get activated.

Falls City Beer
06-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Some of those targets play on teams that might be ahead of the Reds in the standings on July 31st.

Krusty
06-16-2006, 11:39 PM
I would definitely gun for Armas.

Shaggy Sanchez
06-16-2006, 11:41 PM
I hate to be negative but I really believe the Reds are going to be sellers rather than buyers at the deadline. This team just isn't good enough to stay on top all year and we don't have enough young talent in the minors to get the type of help we need to make a legit run for the playoffs. When Joe Mays is the guy that is going to fill the spot of your struggling starter you know your team has some problems.

Krusty
06-16-2006, 11:42 PM
So if you're within five games at the July trading deadline, do you pull the plug when you're trying to get fans back in the stands

Shaggy Sanchez
06-16-2006, 11:49 PM
The problem is I don't see them being within 5 games back at the deadline. I am more in favor of tearing the whole thing down and starting over than trying to get a few guys to make a run this year that might not even amount to anything. The offense is very good but streaky, the defense is bad, the BP is horrible, and now we are going to have Mays in the rotation. This team needs to much to realy be considered a contender in my opinion and I would hate to trade what young talent we do have just to try and keep fans in the stands.

ramp101
06-17-2006, 12:08 AM
How about Joe Borowski of the Marlins?

schroomytunes
06-17-2006, 12:08 AM
I see us trading for Tony Armas at the deadline I think we will be able to get him for say this package:

Reds Trade: Brandon Claussen, Ryan Wagner, Javon Moran

Nationals trade: Tony Armas

Newman4
06-17-2006, 12:17 AM
Freddy Garcia - Why the White Sox would want to deal him baffles me but I would bite.

Freddy's not looking so hot this year: ERA over 5 and hitters are hitting .290 against him with .847 OPS, K/9 lowest in his career. Plus, Freddy is owed $19 million over the next two years. I'd trade him, but wouldn't bite.

savafan
06-17-2006, 12:28 AM
I see us trading for Tony Armas at the deadline I think we will be able to get him for say this package:

Reds Trade: Brandon Claussen, Ryan Wagner, Javon Moran

Nationals trade: Tony Armas

I bet you could get him for less.

Krusty
06-17-2006, 12:30 AM
I bet you could get him for less.

Say what you want about Bowden but he makes sure he gets the max in return. And with his job on the line, he needs to impress the new boss.

RedsMan3203
06-17-2006, 12:49 AM
Tony Armas has had arm problems in the past... be careful.

KronoRed
06-17-2006, 01:01 AM
Bowden will be gone at seasons end no matter what, he'll ask the moon.

RedsMan3203
06-17-2006, 01:19 AM
I think JimBo is going to stay... If he somehow gets out of his DUI case... If he is found guilty of that.. then say... BuhBye.

Jr's Boy
06-17-2006, 01:53 AM
At this juncture Gaithright looks like a career pinch runner not a leadoff hitter to build a team around.

Redus
06-17-2006, 05:49 AM
Id go after Gathright in a minute. His value has never been lower but he's better than he showed this year.

Topcat
06-17-2006, 05:59 AM
Id go after Gathright in a minute. His value has never been lower but he's better than he showed this year.

I agree completly, my thoughts are the constant losing has stopped his true over all effectiveness. If Gathright hits .270 and obp around .320 he would be a huge value as a cf'er on the reds:thumbup:

WVRed
06-17-2006, 08:50 AM
I think JimBo is going to stay... If he somehow gets out of his DUI case... If he is found guilty of that.. then say... BuhBye.

Kasten is the President, and he will want a Braves man in there.

Goodbye Bowden, hello Frank Wren.

MartyFan
06-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Say what you want about Bowden but he makes sure he gets the max in return. And with his job on the line, he needs to impress the new boss.

Right...which is why this team always went to the scrap heap for pitching while he was here and he always traded for "5 tool players".

Jpup
06-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Right...which is why this team always went to the scrap heap for pitching while he was here and he always traded for "5 tool players".

and still do.

Handofdeath
06-17-2006, 12:52 PM
The problem is I don't see them being within 5 games back at the deadline. I am more in favor of tearing the whole thing down and starting over than trying to get a few guys to make a run this year that might not even amount to anything.

But why even consider tearing down a team that is 1st in the wild card chase and has the 3rd best record in the NL? The Reds are on pace to win almost 90 games. Teams like that don't get torn down. You fill in missing pieces. The Reds have Arroyo who is on pace to win 19 games and Harang on pace for 18 wins. Milton is pitching well enough that 15 wins is not impossible. The Reds #4 starter has a 3.44 ERA. Just a bottom of the rotation guy would do here.

The Reds lead the league in homers, SLG, and OPS and are 3rd in RBI's and OBP. 2nd in stolen bases. Inconsistent? Yes. Need a player or two who can hit for average? Yes. Again pieces of the puzzle.

The defense and relievers are not good. The Reds MIGHT have a closer in Coffey. Belisle is under 4.00 in ERA and Weathers is close to that and was under 4.00 last season and has been at least half a dozen seasons in his career. The relief staff needs pieces. A couple of good middle relievers would do wonders for the Reds.

Defensively the Reds are not too good but they are not that old either. (Except you Junior.) They will improve. You don't tear down an entire team simply because the relievers are iffy and the fielding of our young players is not that good.

You have to allow the Reds growing pains from the owner down to the players. The Reds are a lot closer than you think to being on top again. Patience, patience, patience.

SteelSD
06-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Here we go...

Trade #1: Austin Kearns and Brandon Claussen or Ryan Freel to the Angels for Ervin Santana, Howie Kendrick, and Jeff Mathis.

The Angels desperately need a bat and are rumored to be willing to swap Santana to get one. Yum. And Claussen, while struggling, does throw with his south hand; which is something the Angels are short on as well. Pimp his promise. Or, if the Angels prefer, they can have Freel. Whichever gets me what I need.

Kendrick is young, talented, has plenty of power and a 0.45 IsoD. Hmn...no plate discipline. But look at his minor league BA (yes, I'm talking about Batting Average, folks). When your career minor league BA is over .360 (including this season), that's a guy we can project to have a reasonably high BA (@.300-.310) on an annual basis in the Show which projects an OBP @.340-.350. Think about a cross between Brandon Phillips and Alfonso Soriano. There's value in that. But Kendrick might be so hack-and-slash that the Angels want to point me in the direction of Erick Aybar. And, I'd be fine with that. Mathis is a guy the Angels have soured on and now with Mike Napoli entering the fray, Mathis is expendable and a guy I think I can flip for more value because next...

Trade #2: Felipe Lopez, Jeff Mathis, and Phil Dumatrait to the Rockies for Ryan Shealy, Chris Iannetta, and Josh Newman.

What? Trade Felipe? If I get trade #1 to go down, yep. Barmes isn't the real deal. Neither are Luis A. Gonzalez or Jamey Carroll at 2B. Ditto for Closser and Ardoin at C. However, Shealy and Chris Iannetta are. At first glance, this deal may not gain the Reds an arm they need, but Josh Newman projects to be a reliever who'll come quickly and I'm hoping the Rockies can't figure that out. I'm also gambling that the Rockies (2 games back in a weak division) know they need more offense right stinkin' now and that the inclusion of Mathis could entice them to include Iannetta along with Shealy. I'd also pimp than an Iannetta inclusion would "even out" the trade because the Lopez is more valuable than Shealy at this moment. It also doesn't touch Colorado's current MLB rotation or pen. Bonus for them.

New lineup (realistic due to Narron):

Denorfia- RF
Phillips- SS or 2B (batting order position not optimal, but possibly necessary)
Griffey- CF (I'm being realistic about him moving off that position)
Shealy- 1B
Dunn- LF
Aurilia- 3B (Encarnacion, when he returns)
Three-headed Catching Monster
Kendrick- 2B or Aybar- SS

Rotation:

Arroyo
Harang
Santana
Ramirez (gulp)
Milton (double gulp)

That still leaves at least one Catcher and Claussen or Freel to use in the continual search for MLB-ready arms. Super. If those scenarios would pan out, the offense might actually get better. The defense might actually get better. The rotation might actually get better. And the bullpen might actually get better.

It'd take guts, determination, and shrewd negotation skills to pull it off, but the Reds (+12 Run Diff) are not in a position to be sitting around waiting for things to gel while seven other clubs are within 5 games of their WC lead right now. A couple smart, bold moves and this season could actually work out.

KronoRed
06-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Those are some nice deals Steel.

smith288
06-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Trading Lopez makes me cringe so it better be a good one (or three) we are getting back.

Hey, Steel, your PM box is full... I need to ask ya a question.

CTA513
06-17-2006, 04:27 PM
I dont see why you would trade for Gathright unless you can get him dirt cheap. You have a guy in AAA (Denorifa) that is ready to play in the majors but hasnt had a chance.

Spitball
06-17-2006, 04:40 PM
I just can't believe the Angels are stupid enough to give up so much future for so little. I'd put Santana and Kendrick on a short list of the top players under 24 years of age. Santana has realistic potential to be a #1 and Kendrick to be a right-handed Tony Gwynn. If the Angels are willing to ship both those players, they could garner more elsewhere than Kearns and Claussen.

They may be talking Santana, but I'm betting they will pull that bait back pretty quickly.

chisox05
06-17-2006, 05:03 PM
I have got a list of rumored players that could be dealt at the deadline that the Redleg should at least attempt to obtain:

Joey Gathright - Their has been rumors that have Junior moving to either LF or RF. Even Ken Sr. has been rumored talking to Junior to really think about a move to a corner spot to prolong his career. Gathright would move into CF and Junior to LF with Kearns in RF. Where's Dunn? Stick him at first. He may not be even average at 1st yet but he would provide the most potent line-up. Joey gives you someone to build a team around and a everyday leadoff hitter.

Tim Hudson - Yes the Braves may not win the Division and could deal one of theie ace's at the deadline. He gives us everything we have been looking for in a starter. Great innings guy, groundball pitcher, and a proven track record. Would take over the one spot in the rotation with Claussen moved to the pen.

Tony Armas Jr. - Young starter who plays for the Nationals which went on record as saying they were ready for a fire sale mid May. Armas would be a good 3rd/4th starter. Armas 5-1 in his last 10 games missed all last season but could be a the unknown talent at the deadline.

Kyle Lohse - Another young talent and one of Krivski's former mates in Minnesota. With a 2-4 record and a 9.00 ERA might scare some folks. But I think a new team might be best. Could possibly be put in the rotation or used in long relief. With those numbers might even come at a cheaper price.

Freddy Garcia - Why the White Sox would want to deal him baffles me but I would bite. Like Hudson would become our staff ace.

Jason Schmidt - The NL East is a tight race. With the Giants only 2 games back it may be hard for SF to deal Jason. He is a FA at seasons end so a good chance for SF to get something for nothing. Same as Garcia and Hudson would become our staff ace.

Kenny Williams has already stated that his pitching is staying. The Sox are built around pitching and defense, they're not going to give away pitching, especially when the Reds don't have their need (bullpen help).

SteelSD
06-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Trading Lopez makes me cringe so it better be a good one (or three) we are getting back.

Hey, Steel, your PM box is full... I need to ask ya a question.

PM away, sir. :)

KoryMac5
06-17-2006, 05:24 PM
My bet would be Loshe especially since the Twins have all but given up on him. Maybe a Claussen for Loshe swap might be a good fit for both players. Gammons has already said that Bowden will indeed want the moon for any of his players that he may trade (Soriano, Guillen, Armas) I would hate to give up the farm for Armas when his health has been put into question in the past.

KoryMac5
06-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Kyle Lohse's agent, Scott Boras, said Monday that the Twins should trade Lohse now if they don't intend to bring him back to the majors.
"We know there's a lot of teams interested in him," Boras said. "We've been told the Twins want a lot for him. Our frustration is that Kyle's a major league pitcher; the Minnesota Twins know that, and we know that." Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press May. 30 - 9:53 am et

Interesting quote regarding the Loshe situation. Boston seems to be the frontrunner for his services from all the quotes I have read.

schroomytunes
06-17-2006, 05:37 PM
I would offer Minnesota this deal:

Reds trade: Brandon Claussen and Ryan Wagner

Twins trade: Kyle Lohse and Dennys Reyes, Reyes is included in the deal to offset the salary of Lohse.

VI_RedsFan
06-17-2006, 06:29 PM
I would offer Minnesota this deal:

Reds trade: Brandon Claussen and Ryan Wagner

Twins trade: Kyle Lohse and Dennys Reyes, Reyes is included in the deal to offset the salary of Lohse.

That sounds good, schroomytunes. But let's expand that trade a little:

Reds Trade: Austin Kearns, Brandon Claussen, and Ryan Wagner

Twins Trade: Juan Rincon, Kyle Lohse, and Dennys Reyes.

This trade upgrades the bullpen and who knows, maybe Lohse just needs a change of scenery. It appears BC does too. Denorfia is then brought up to replace Kearns in RF.

buckeyenut
06-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Here we go...

Trade #1: Austin Kearns and Brandon Claussen or Ryan Freel to the Angels for Ervin Santana, Howie Kendrick, and Jeff Mathis.

The Angels desperately need a bat and are rumored to be willing to swap Santana to get one. Yum. And Claussen, while struggling, does throw with his south hand; which is something the Angels are short on as well. Pimp his promise. Or, if the Angels prefer, they can have Freel. Whichever gets me what I need.

Kendrick is young, talented, has plenty of power and a 0.45 IsoD. Hmn...no plate discipline. But look at his minor league BA (yes, I'm talking about Batting Average, folks). When your career minor league BA is over .360 (including this season), that's a guy we can project to have a reasonably high BA (@.300-.310) on an annual basis in the Show which projects an OBP @.340-.350. Think about a cross between Brandon Phillips and Alfonso Soriano. There's value in that. But Kendrick might be so hack-and-slash that the Angels want to point me in the direction of Erick Aybar. And, I'd be fine with that. Mathis is a guy the Angels have soured on and now with Mike Napoli entering the fray, Mathis is expendable and a guy I think I can flip for more value because next...

Trade #2: Felipe Lopez, Jeff Mathis, and Phil Dumatrait to the Rockies for Ryan Shealy, Chris Iannetta, and Josh Newman.

What? Trade Felipe? If I get trade #1 to go down, yep. Barmes isn't the real deal. Neither are Luis A. Gonzalez or Jamey Carroll at 2B. Ditto for Closser and Ardoin at C. However, Shealy and Chris Iannetta are. At first glance, this deal may not gain the Reds an arm they need, but Josh Newman projects to be a reliever who'll come quickly and I'm hoping the Rockies can't figure that out. I'm also gambling that the Rockies (2 games back in a weak division) know they need more offense right stinkin' now and that the inclusion of Mathis could entice them to include Iannetta along with Shealy. I'd also pimp than an Iannetta inclusion would "even out" the trade because the Lopez is more valuable than Shealy at this moment. It also doesn't touch Colorado's current MLB rotation or pen. Bonus for them.

Denorfia- RF
Shealy- 1B
Dunn- LF

Rotation:

Arroyo
Harang
Santana
Ramirez (gulp)
Milton (double gulp)

That still leaves at least one Catcher and Claussen or Freel to use in the continual search for MLB-ready arms. Super. If those scenarios would pan out, the offense might actually get better. The defense might actually get better. The rotation might actually get better. And the bullpen might actually get better.

It'd take guts, determination, and shrewd negotation skills to pull it off, but the Reds (+12 Run Diff) are not in a position to be sitting around waiting for things to gel while seven other clubs are within 5 games of their WC lead right now. A couple smart, bold moves and this season could actually work out.

I like both deals as is, I think. The one thing I would try to do is send COL LaRue or Valentin rather than Mathis. COL is in it right now and trying to add offense. So a catcher that can help them now is probably more attractive I would think than a long term guy like Mathis who is more of a risk right now.

I'd look to swap in Valentin directly for Mathis or Larue for Mathis but ask for a little more on the Rockies side if LaRue was there. I am not at all convinced we have a longterm answer at C and Mathis would give that to us.

Anahiem has 4-5 guys I'd swap in for Kendrick if they want to hold onto him, including Aybar, Wood, McPherson, Weaver (how could they send this kid back down?), Morales, Kotchman.

edabbs44
06-18-2006, 09:21 AM
I know he has stunk this year, but what about Jeff Weaver? Supposedly the Angels would pay most of his salary. He was solid for the Dodgers. And I'll take him over Mays any day of the week.

Newman4
06-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Here we go...

Denorfia- RF
Shealy- 1B
Dunn- LF

Rotation:

Arroyo
Harang
Santana
Ramirez (gulp)
Milton (double gulp)

I like the haul in the firs trade there. I don't know if the Angels would do it, but I really like all the players coming from LA.

On the second trade, glad to see someone else who thinks Josh Newman is pretty damn good. He's putting up great numbers at AA Tulsa in ERA, BA Against, K/9 and WHIP but doesn't even get a mention when most "experts" discuss Rockies propsects. I like your trade even though many that do not know Rockies prospects will be negative since the trade involves FeLo. If you could get the Rockies to toss in Morillo or Jimenez then you would have the robbery of the century.

SteelSD
06-18-2006, 12:33 PM
I like both deals as is, I think. The one thing I would try to do is send COL LaRue or Valentin rather than Mathis. COL is in it right now and trying to add offense. So a catcher that can help them now is probably more attractive I would think than a long term guy like Mathis who is more of a risk right now.

I'd look to swap in Valentin directly for Mathis or Larue for Mathis but ask for a little more on the Rockies side if LaRue was there. I am not at all convinced we have a longterm answer at C and Mathis would give that to us.

Anahiem has 4-5 guys I'd swap in for Kendrick if they want to hold onto him, including Aybar, Wood, McPherson, Weaver (how could they send this kid back down?), Morales, Kotchman.

I'd have no issue including LaRue as well, but don't see Valentin as a viable value option (the time to move him was this past offseason) for the Rockies. The only problem with an inclusion of LaRue is that his salary might limit the return, even when packaged with Lopez. I'd try it, but I'd expect the Rockies to say no; which is why I was willing to include Mathis. And if trade #2 worked out, the Reds would have their long-term answer at Catcher (Chris Iannetta). Basically, what I'd be looking to do is ask the Rockies to swap a cheap more MLB-ready Catcher (Mathis) for a less advanced option (with a higher upside) to even out the Lopez/Shealy portion of the deal.

And you're right- the Angels have a bunch of good stuff laying around. It appears they've finally handed McPherson a starting job (about time) and he's responded so far with a .280 BA/.314 OBP/.500 SLG while getting settled in. I'm not sure Brandon Wood is going anywhere. I'd ask for him, but would be prepared to hear "No". I'm sure little Weaver isn't going anywhere. That leaves Kendry Morales and Casey Kotchman. I like both at 1B even though I don't see Kotchman as a power 1B option but would prefer a skill position player; which is why I settled on Kendrick or Aybar. The inclusion of one of those two guys allows for more future deal flexibility.

Krusty
06-18-2006, 12:53 PM
Don't you think it is ironic that Krivsky's deals have been with AL teams? With that in mind, if he is going to make a substantial deal to bolster the bullpen, you would think he will be dealing with another AL team. Some pitchers that might interest the Reds:

Kansas City: RHP Mike MacDougal, Elmer Dessens

Cleveland: LHP Cliff Lee

Angels: RHP Ervin Santana, RHP Jeff Weaver, RHP Brenden Donnelly

Minnesota: LHPs Juan Rincon, Dennys Reyes, RHPs Carlos Silva, Kyle Loshe, Brade Radke,

Seattle: RHP Rafael Soriano, LHP Eddie Guardado

wojo1025
04-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Don't you think it is ironic that Krivsky's deals have been with AL teams? With that in mind, if he is going to make a substantial deal to bolster the bullpen, you would think he will be dealing with another AL team. Some pitchers that might interest the Reds:

Kansas City: RHP Mike MacDougal, Elmer Dessens

Cleveland: LHP Cliff Lee

Angels: RHP Ervin Santana, RHP Jeff Weaver, RHP Brenden Donnelly

Minnesota: LHPs Juan Rincon, Dennys Reyes, RHPs Carlos Silva, Kyle Loshe, Brade Radke,

Seattle: RHP Rafael Soriano, LHP Eddie Guardado

Hmm..Cliff Lee? Yes please.