PDA

View Full Version : MCoy...Griffey ego blood count, zero...

Ga_Red
06-17-2006, 02:20 AM
2/09/07

The Baumer
06-17-2006, 02:39 AM
"During his career, Foster struck out 1,419 times. Make it 1,420 because he whiffed big-time on this one."

Ouch!

OnBaseMachine
06-17-2006, 06:31 AM
Foster way off base with views on Griffey
By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Mark me down as deeply disappointed in George Foster, one of my all-time favorite Cincinnati Reds and a long-time friend.

During a charity appearance at Extra Innings in Miamisburg earlier this week, Foster took some shots at Ken Griffey Jr., shots that were not only unwarranted but also totally false.

Foster said Griffey doesn't take enough batting practice to learn to beat the exaggerated shift teams put on him. How would Foster know? He has made few appearances in Cincinnati ballparks since he last took off his Reds polyester double-knits.

If Foster cares to check before he speaks, show up at Great American Ball Park at 3 o'clock before every 7:10 home game. He'll find Griffey hard at work, not only taking batting practice, but taking extra batting practice.

Foster said Griffey is letting his ego stand in the way of switching positions. Wrong again. Of all the superstars I've known in 34 years covering baseball, including Foster, Griffey has the least ego of any player I've encountered. His ego blood count is zero.

What is perplexing about all these people saying Griffey should switch positions is that he hasn't been asked to switch by anybody involved with the Reds.

My fear is that jealousy tinges Foster's remarks. He is not happy that he receives so few Hall of Fame votes. He talks about Griffey and Adam Dunn being too lazy to work, yet Foster was let go as an instructor in the Reds system because his work ethic wasn't what they wanted.

During his career, Foster struck out 1,419 times. Make it 1,420 because he whiffed big-time on this one.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0617audible.html

oneupper
06-17-2006, 06:49 AM
McCoy responds to what he considers "cheap shots" at Griffey, by taking cheap shots at Foster.

Classy.

Chip R
06-17-2006, 07:53 AM
That is kind of surprising that Hal would take the side of a current player over someone from the BRM.

GAC
06-17-2006, 08:11 AM
That is kind of surprising that Hal would take the side of a current player over someone from the BRM.

If they are wrong, as it appears Georgie is, then you're wrong - regardless of whatever dynasty you were part of. ;)

Foster had no problem saying these things to the media.... so I'm glad someone in the media is firing back to point these misperceptions out.

Why would Foster make such a claim about Jr's work ethic (batting practice) when it is evident he has no idea?

Unassisted
06-17-2006, 09:02 AM
I wonder if Foster is parroting Senior's opinion on Junior's work ethic. The original article indicated Foster and Senior were close.

smith288
06-17-2006, 09:48 AM
I remarked on Fostors remarks about him not knowing Griffeys work ethic because of what Mcoy pointed out. I don't think Fostor is saying stuff out of jealousy. Thats just stupid.

westofyou
06-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Is being snarky a part of the Power of Tradition?

GAC
06-17-2006, 11:01 AM
This is what happens when you bring back those egotistical players from the BRM. See! Marge was right to exclude them. :lol:

TeamBoone
06-17-2006, 12:36 PM
McCoy responds to what he considers "cheap shots" at Griffey, by taking cheap shots at Foster.

Classy.

If his comments regarding Foster are true, they're not cheap shots.

Hal was defending what he felt were "cheap shots" against Griffey because they were untrue based on his observation of and interaction with Griffey.

Actually, that took a lot of... moxie (cuz I can't say the word I want to use).

Heath
06-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Hal's got Griffey blinders (no pun intended) on since Jr. gave him that HR ball.

Senior and Griffey are still close-IIRC from posts by TeamClark (who could update us on that)

I guarantee if Jr's gonna move to a corner position, Senior's the only one who can put a bug in his ear. It will prolong his career AND improve the overall team defense.

Redsland
06-17-2006, 02:26 PM
George Foster is wrong about Griffey needing to move, said the blind man.

BCubb2003
06-17-2006, 02:41 PM
Sounds like instead of asking Griffey, they should be asking Narron and Krivsky, who keep talking about the need to improve defense. I'm not convinced that moving Griffey or Lopez are the right things to do, especially in midseason, but I'd like to know how Narron and Krivsky are looking at it.

Mainspark
06-17-2006, 03:43 PM
I've been hesitant to contribute to this thread, because I really have no desire to badmouth George Foster, but...
He's always been something of an odd guy.
I recall in 1975 or 1976, there was a minor incident in the clubhouse after Foster had struck out for the 100th time that season, apparently the first time he had played enough to reach that mark.
Bench and Perez had a longstanding joke in which they presented one another with gag gifts when they reached their 100th strikeout of the year. When Foster gained that dubious distinction, they gave him a gag gift as well. (I don't recall specifically what it was.)
According to press accounts at the time, Foster became highly offended, told them they "didn't have the guts" to strike out 100 times in a season, then stormed off.
Also, when his career was fizzling the way that it did with the Mets, it seemed bizarre when Foster accused the New York front office of racism when he was replaced in the regular lineup with future Red Kevin Mitchell, given that they were both African Americans.
All this said, Foster was an amazing offensive force when at his best, albeit for a relatively few years.

KronoRed
06-17-2006, 03:51 PM

Classy.
Really, wanna defend JR fine , but taking pot shots at Foster (strike outs? COME ON, work ethic?) are over the line and pretty lame.

Team Clark
06-17-2006, 06:27 PM
I don't even know if I should comment on this post. So much of it is speculation and missed context. Certainly no rift between Sr, Jr and or Foster. I spoke to two out of three in the passed few days and no mention of any problems. I will comment more later after I have talked to all three.

Sea Ray
06-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Hal's off base again. Foster clearly was not saying that Griffey didn't take enough batting practice, it was how he took the practice that Foster objected to. Foster said that Griffey didn't practice enough to beat the shift, not that he didn't practice enough. Hal seemed to miss that most important part.

As for switching from CF, Griffey has been a baby countless times about that, the most recent being less than a month ago with his highly reported pouting bout after the 1360 Angry Guys suggested he switch positions due to his injury risk (not that he can't play). At that point he refused to talk to any media and the story was reported from here to Jim Rome. I don't know if that's ego but it's a problem.

Hal's obviously going to take Jr's side in these sorts of tiffs because he needs "access" to Griffey and he no longer needs interviews from Foster.

As for George Foster I'll say he was a class act while in Cincinnati and he for a time was the dangerous hitter I've ever seen in a Reds uniform.

Phhhl
06-18-2006, 11:25 PM
I have no idea why McCoy would take Foster on this way. Almost seems like a hatchet job.

Phhhl
06-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Another thing that bothers me about Hal's article is that there are no quotes from Foster in the entire thing. It's entirely paraphrased. That's pretty shoddy.

RedFanAlways1966
06-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Another thing that bothers me about Hal's article is that there are no quotes from Foster in the entire thing. It's entirely paraphrased. That's pretty shoddy.

No defense of Hal, but you have to understand the column in which this appeared. The Dayton Daily News has a little section called "The Audible Commentary" on page 2 of the Sports Section. This is where this article appeared. They have one of their writers put in a story that is "in that writer's opinion" here. They have stuff on different sports appear here... soccer (in today's paper), Indy 500, football, baseball, track-and-field, etc. This opinion thing is always the same size each day and is not very long as you can see from the above piece.