PDA

View Full Version : Claussen on DL; Burns called up

TeamBoone
06-17-2006, 06:00 PM
... per the Reds pregame show (sore shoulder).

edabbs44
06-17-2006, 06:04 PM
... per the Reds pregame show (sore shoulder).
Sore shoulder or sore feelings? Hopefully he's ok, but I wonder if this is a ploy to get him "right".

Red Daddy
Now we know!!!!!!

LexingtonRedsFan
Thanks for the info....with this "injury", Im guessing that he will need to go out for his 30 day re-hab after coming off of the dl....and that is assuming that during the 30 days, he doesnt have any set-backs...which would start the clock over....:evil:

CTA513
06-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Im going to guess and say Belisle is going to be activated from the DL.
He pitched 2 innings for the Dragons the other day, so Im guessing that was a rehab assignment.

Matt700wlw
06-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Im going to guess and say Belisle is going to be activated from the DL.
He pitched 2 innings for the Dragons the other day, so Im guessing that was a rehab assignment.

He'll pitch a few more tonight.

Heath
06-17-2006, 06:16 PM
amazing what 15 days can "cure" .

TeamBoone
06-17-2006, 06:16 PM
They said the roster move would be announced after the tonight's game.

NastyBoy
06-17-2006, 06:18 PM
It would have been nice if he would have told the team BEFORE he got rocked for 9 runs, that his shoulder was bothering him.

Gallen5862
06-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Well this is good. Claussen gets 15 days to heal and then gets to do rehab assignments. This gives him a chance to hopefully get his mechanics worked out.

NastyBoy
06-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Well this is good. Claussen gets 15 days to heal and then gets to do rehab assignments. This gives him a chance to hopefully get his mechanics worked out.

He probably gets a cortisone shot, the miracle drug, in the shoulder and some rehab... the sore shoulder may have been affecting his mechanics. I hope he comes back and pitches as well as he did late last year.

Gallen5862
06-17-2006, 07:00 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/cin/y2006/m06/d17/c1510124.jsp
Notes: Claussen placed on 15-day DL
06/17/2006 6:49 PM ET
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- The Reds were already poised to remove struggling lefty Brandon Claussen from the rotation in favor of right-hander Joe Mays. However, an unexpected development on Saturday made that decision less problematic.
After he reported pain in his left shoulder, Claussen was diagnosed with rotator cuff tendinitis and placed on the 15-day disabled list. A replacement on the 25-man roster will be announced after Saturday's game.

Mays will take Claussen's turn in the rotation and start on Wednesday against the Mets at Shea Stadium.

Claussen, who was roughed up for nine earned runs over two innings in Friday's 12-4 loss to the White Sox, revealed he had discomfort after the game via a late night phone call to pitching coach Tom Hume.

Team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek examined the left-hander late Saturday afternoon. Before Claussen had seen Kremchek, Reds manager Jerry Narron was asked if this was the first time he ever heard there was a shoulder issue.

"Yes, sir," was Narron's brief reply.

"It's been one of those things I thought I'd just try and throw through it," Claussen said on Saturday before his doctor's visit. "It started out as just normal soreness or normal wear and tear. I changed my arm slot a little bit, and I ended up feeling fatigue in my elbow. The last few starts, I brought my arm slot back up a little bit and tried to stay more over the rubber, and I still felt the same problem."

Claussen had never had shoulder problems before, but did have Tommy John surgery on his left elbow in 2002, when he was with the Yankees organization.

Struggling to throw strikes consistently this season, Claussen is 3-8 with a 6.19 ERA in 14 starts and 1-6 over his last nine outings. He hasn't won a game since May 19 against Detroit.

"If he's got something bothering him, I'm glad he said something," Narron said.

Complete coverage >Ready to go: Mays, who threw 75 pitches over four innings in relief of Claussen, said on Saturday that he was already prepared to step into the Cincinnati rotation before an announcement was made.

"There's no doubt that I have the stamina to do it, if it's asked of me," said Mays, who was charged with two runs -- one earned -- and seven hits. "I just try to go day by day right now. If that's something they need, then I'm willing to do that. That's the whole reason for me coming here in the first place, to be in that rotation."

Mays, who has 152 big-league starts over his career with the Twins and Royals, bottomed out with Kansas City earlier this season. Released after he went 0-4 with a 10.27 ERA in 10 starts, the right-hander could identify with Claussen's challenges on the mound.

"I feel terrible for Claussen, because I've been there pretty much this year and last year [with Minnesota]," Mays said. "It seems like every little thing you do isn't right. If there's a break the other team can get, they seem to get it. It's a tough situation. It's a terrible feeling of going out there and you're battling yourself and you're battling the other team. You're battling the umpires and all these elements you have no control over."

Since joining the Reds staff, the 30-year-old Mays has a 1.29 ERA in seven innings over three games. He's also throwing his sinkerball with more velocity. With the Royals, he was reportedly throwing in the 86-87 mph range. With the Reds, he's approached 89-90 mph with more frequency.

"I knew it was there," said Mays, who was a 17-game winner and an All-Star in 2001. "It was just a matter of getting my mechanics down and stop trying to force things."

On assignment: Reliever Matt Belisle, on the 15-day DL because of a back injury, departed for Class A Dayton on Saturday afternoon and was scheduled to make the second appearance of his rehabilitation assignment. If all goes well, Belisle will pitch for Double-A Chattanooga on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. He's going there, because Dayton and Triple-A Louisville were playing on the road.

Coming up: The Reds will conclude their three-game Interleague series with the White Sox on Sunday at 1:15 p.m. ET. Right-hander Aaron Harang (7-4, 3.91) will pitch for Cincinnati against Chicago's Jon Garland (5-3, 6.01) at Great American Ball Park.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

LexingtonRedsFan
06-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Ive wondered if after he had tommy john surgery if he was having a difficult time "re-learning" how to pitch and not just over-power them with his stuff

KronoRed
06-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Could this be a "WOW he stinks, DL him and invent a problem" ?

Or more likely he's been hurting and just didn't say anything about?

Bring back Olmedo :D

KronoRed
06-17-2006, 08:15 PM
Burns being called up per WLW

Dandy.

cincy09
06-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Burns being called up per WLW

Dandy.

Oh thats just awesome

TeamBoone
06-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Good Lord. I'd love to know who's decision this was and what it's based on.

savafan
06-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Burns has thrown pretty good at Louisville.

KronoRed
06-17-2006, 09:38 PM
He's still Burns

traderumor
06-17-2006, 09:42 PM
I thought Burns was pretty clearly kicked to the curb the last time he was up here and totally stunk up the joint. For pete's sake, bring Salmon up here and see if he can cut it. Burns got his chance twice. Give someone else a shot.

Matt700wlw
06-17-2006, 09:47 PM
While they're down there, bring back Shack and give White his walking papers.

Reds Fanatic
06-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Burns also threw good the last time he was in Louisville then came up here he got hammered again. I would expect Belisle to be back soon. I just got back from the Dragons game tonight. Belisle threw 2 innings for Dayton tonight. He had a solid 7th inning but struggled a little in the 8th giving up 3 singles. One of those was an infield single off his glove that probably should have been fielded. That inning was prolonged on an error by the second basemen. He did get out of trouble that inning with a strikeout and a flyout ended the inning. I thought Belisle looked good with his delivery and it looks like he should be ready to return soon.

alloverjr
06-17-2006, 11:28 PM
I wonder if bringing Burns up is Krivsky's white flag or another recent example of questionable decision making.

Topcat
06-18-2006, 06:30 AM
Burns eh? excellentburns.jpg:eek:

Redhook
06-18-2006, 07:22 AM
Burns, White, and McCracken have no business being in the majors right now, let alone for a team that's in first in the wild card. That's a recipe for disaster.

edabbs44
06-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Burns, White, and McCracken have no business being in the majors right now, let alone for a team that's in first in the wild card. That's a recipe for disaster.
This is exactly the thing that has been bothering me all season. I have never seen this many absolutely useless players on a playoff worthy team.

buckeyenut
06-18-2006, 09:26 AM
I wonder if bringing Burns up is Krivsky's white flag or another recent example of questionable decision making.

I think this is a filler decision. They need someone for a week or less till Belisle comes off DL. Why waste a lot of time or an option on someone who is only going to maybe see one game during that time and in a mopup role? Not a big deal at all here.

buckeyenut
06-18-2006, 09:28 AM
This is exactly the thing that has been bothering me all season. I have never seen this many absolutely useless players on a playoff worthy team.

That is the problem. This is not a playoff worthy team. They don't have the depth. And these three guys (and the fact that we don't have better options) show it very clearly. Krivsky has gotten us a lot (Ross, Phillips, Yan, etc.) in a short time period to help the depth, but he can only do so much so fast.

Crosley68
06-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Is it being a team player to play when something is bothering you?
OR
Is it being a team player to not play when you are not 100%?

I think it is the latter.

redsmetz
06-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Is it being a team player to play when something is bothering you?
OR
Is it being a team player to not play when you are not 100%?

I think it is the latter.

This is the second or third time we've had pitchers keep their mouth shut while pitching injured. And I don't know where that line is drawn. You certainly want folks who can withstand the rigors of ML pitching, but you don't want folks pulling the team down because they're unable to perform. It's a daggone Catch-22!

4256 Hits
06-18-2006, 01:07 PM

You can add Castro to that list.

Ltlabner
06-18-2006, 01:15 PM
This is the second or third time we've had pitchers keep their mouth shut while pitching injured. And I don't know where that line is drawn. You certainly want folks who can withstand the rigors of ML pitching, but you don't want folks pulling the team down because they're unable to perform. It's a daggone Catch-22!

I can appreicate a player "pushing through the pain" and being a real "gamer" but after your 3 or 4th horrible outing you are simply hurting the team. We all know when we are hurt and when things in our body aren't working like they normally do, and so do those guys. For these guys to continue to go out and not be honest about their physical condition is silly.

It's also odd that after a few bad outings, when it becomes noticible that something is amiss that the coaches wouldn't order an MRI or medical exam. Is there something in the CBA that bars the teams from forcing a player to take an exam?

KronoRed
06-18-2006, 04:05 PM
So..Mike Burns was the best they had in AAA? ;)