PDA

View Full Version : Afi

Dom Heffner
06-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Any fans?

I am one of those people that catches on to things years after the fact, and I had never heard of these guys until just a week or so ago. I downloaded their two latest releases and must say I like them a lot.

From what I gather they used to be harder but now have sold out, but that's usually when I like bands. I like music to be accessible and melodic, so I see why this newer stuff appeals to me.

The Baumer
06-17-2006, 06:58 PM
The whole Goth fashion thing turns me off. And yeah, their first handful of albums were better/more inspired.

Sean_CaseyRules
06-17-2006, 10:56 PM
I like the Bass line in Miss Murder, but that is about the ONLY AFI song i know, lol

westofyou
06-17-2006, 11:24 PM
The whole Goth fashion thing turns me off. It was goofy the first time around, now it's just plain silly.

RosieRed
06-18-2006, 04:11 AM
From what I gather they used to be harder but now have sold out

I think if you were to ask them, they'd say they "grew up" or "evolved." I dislike the term "selling out" when it's used just because a band's CD doesn't sound exactly like the CD before it. (Not directing that at you Dom, just saying in general.)

Anyway! I really like AFI. Old and new, goth look and all.

RedFanAlways1966
06-18-2006, 04:42 PM
The guitarist is on the cover of the latest edition of Guitar World magazine (w/ the former guitarist from Blink-182). I had never heard their music before this past Thursday. I was surfin' through the channels when I came upon Fuse. My 18-month-old girl heard music and starting dancing a bit, so I left it on the channel (she looked so cute dancing). Anyhow... the "Miss Murder" vid came on (it was Fuse's top-10 countdown or something like that). I was curious about them b/c I read the interview in the mag w/ their guitarist (and thought he looked very odd in the mag's pictures). I thought the song was ripping!! Made me want to go out and purchase their latest CD. I really dug that song.

One more thing.... their singer is one strange looking person in that "Miss Murder" video. Very strange looking. But I used to say that the best way to "hear" a band the 1st time is without seeing them. The only way to really "hear" the music is to shut the eyes. When the eyes get involved it can cause the brain to not function accurately on what was heard.

The Baumer
06-18-2006, 09:24 PM
The whole "sell out" label has a lot to do with a band leaving their 'live' sound and adopting a more 'studio' oriented sound. From what I have heard, the last two AFI albums have used a lot more studio magic and all of the guitar riffs are kept in the 'safe, even old people won't think it's too loud or harsh' zone. In other words, their guitars are muffled and they aren't 'allowed' to push their music past a certain comfort level (see new Death Cab cd). This broadens a band's fan base but it can also dilute their vision.

A lot of times smaller, independent bands (see Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Mxpx, Weezer, etc.) will experiment with 'maturing', release 2 or 3 disappointing records, then announce a return to their 'roots'. Very rarely do they return to their prior level though. The self-proclaimed comeback record is usually the last nail in the coffin.

cincyinco
06-20-2006, 07:01 PM
AFI rawks! I admit I didn't get into them when they were first around, but I did get into them before their latest album thanks to a friend of mine who's a big fan... They've been rocking my speakers for a handful of years now. I enjoy all their albums~!

ghettochild
06-21-2006, 12:27 PM
fall children>miss murder.

AFI has sold out to the worst amount possible. its unreal.

listen to everything 'the art of drowning' and before. thats real AFI.