PDA

View Full Version : Here's what I'd like to see next year!

saboforthird
06-17-2006, 10:38 PM
I'd say next year should look like this:

1B - *
2B - Lopez
SS - Phillips
3B - Encarnacion
C - Ross
RF - Kearns
CF - Denorfia
LF - *

#1 - *
#2 - Arroyo
#3 - Harang
#4 - Ramirez
#5 - Milton

RP - *
RP - *
RP - *
RP - Yan
CL - Coffey

OF/IF - Freel
IF - Aurilia
IF - Hatteberg
IF - Olmedo
C/IF - Valentin

Trade:
Junior
Dunn
Larue

Release (or try to trade):
Mercker
Weathers
Claussen (or DFA)

tripleaaaron
06-18-2006, 02:02 AM
you wanna keep Yan over weathers? Otherwise I tend to agree, unless Dunn is that asterick at 1b. I like him, just not in LF. And as for Griffey He is my favorite all-time player so I would like to see him break 600 in a red uniform!

buckeyenut
06-18-2006, 10:21 AM
I would actually have no problem with that lineup if it slotted Jr in LF and Dunn at 1B next year. Jr would be a gold glove LF IMO and in fact could be a gold glove 1B, but doesn't have the range in CF any more despite the fact he catches everything he gets to and some things he almost doesn't.

Dunn would be a HUGE target at 1B and if he could learn to scoop balls out of the dirt, he could probably save the IF 10 errors a year just from his size. Of course, he would need to work at it which is probably an issue.

Highlifeman21
06-18-2006, 11:15 AM
I'd say next year should look like this:

1B - *
2B - Lopez
SS - Phillips
3B - Encarnacion
C - Ross
RF - Kearns
CF - Denorfia
LF - *

#1 - *
#2 - Arroyo
#3 - Harang
#4 - Ramirez
#5 - Milton

RP - *
RP - *
RP - *
RP - Yan
CL - Coffey

OF/IF - Freel
IF - Aurilia
IF - Hatteberg
IF - Olmedo
C/IF - Valentin

Trade:
Junior
Dunn
Larue

Release (or try to trade):
Mercker
Weathers
Claussen (or DFA)

1B - Dunn
2B - *
SS - Phillips
3B - Encarnacion
C - Ross
RF - Kearns
CF - Denorfia
LF - Griffey Jr

#1 - Arroyo
#2 - Harang
#3 - *
#4 - *
#5 - Ramirez

RP - *
RP - *
RP - *
RP - *
CL - Coffey

OF/IF - Freel
IF - Hatteberg
IF - *
IF - *
C/IF - Valentin

Trade:
LaRue
Lopez
Aurillia
Milton
Entire Bullpen minus Coffey
Claussen
Olmedo
McCracken

Trading this list of characters will net us the missing arms we need, or at least should help the situation vastly.

You're on the right track, saboforthird, I'd just change a couple pieces to the puzzle.

redsmetz
06-18-2006, 12:04 PM
I will say this. I would have preferred Jerry Narron having put Dunn at first last night instead of Valentin, moved Freel to left and put Juan Castro in at third. That might have made for a different outcome.

RedsManRick
06-18-2006, 12:15 PM
I agree with the merits of trading Dunn or Junior, but that is a TON of power to lose. IF we can get full value, I'd trade Dunn and move Junior to LF. IF we could get say, Ervin Santana, Brendan Donnely, and one of the young stud position prospects, that would be killer for us.

I think LaRue will be moved at the break this year. Lopez will be moved in a few years, rather than resigned thanks to Boras.

saboforthird
06-18-2006, 02:03 PM
I know that losing Dunn AND Junior would mean losing a lot of power. It wasn't easy typing their names under the trade section. Without them, you have to start looking like the A's from the past several years or so, where you're relying strictly on OBP%. Not that it doesn't work, but sometimes you need a bomber at the plate. Having said that, I think Dunn and Junior would bring the most in a trade for this club.

The more I think about it, I would rather have Junior at 1B than anywhere else. Anytime he is put in a situation where he has to run -- period -- he is vulnerable. Just think, he could be a really productive Mayor. :evil: If Junior doesn't go to 1B I don't see his career lasting much longer. It's probably a lock that if anything close to what happened the last time he had that serious injury, he'd retire.

I like the idea of getting rid of most of the bullpen, but I'm afraid they'll be more attractive to the DFA List than anything else. I mean, who would take Mercker or Weathers? They're ho-hum at best, look like a bunch of beer league pitchers out there. Claussen has issues, apparently. He gives me the impression that he's hard-headed. Perhaps some time down in AAA?

There seem to be two parties of thought here, as far as what an ideal roster for the Reds would be. One party says "just another #3 or #4 pitcher, some bullpen help, and with all the power we have, we're set". The other party, the one I belong to, says "get a REAL ace pitcher, get some bullpen help and improve the middle of the infield, and we're set". I prefer "small ball" over "homer festival". Hope I don't offend too many here. I did notice that one suggestion was to trade Olmedo. He won't net much at all, because he can't hit. That's precisely why I think the Reds should hold onto him. IF he learns how to hit, he'll fit in nicely in the lineup. He's got speed, and is superb defensively. I think it's always a better gamble to try and shut down your opponent, than it is to try and out-slug your opponent.

dougdirt
06-18-2006, 02:15 PM
I agree with the merits of trading Dunn or Junior, but that is a TON of power to lose. IF we can get full value, I'd trade Dunn and move Junior to LF. IF we could get say, Ervin Santana, Brendan Donnely, and one of the young stud position prospects, that would be killer for us.

I think LaRue will be moved at the break this year. Lopez will be moved in a few years, rather than resigned thanks to Boras.
I dont think we could get Santana straight up for Adam Dunn, much less have them toss in prospects.

pedro
06-18-2006, 02:37 PM
I dont think we could get Santana straight up for Adam Dunn, much less have them toss in prospects.

I wouldn't be so sure.

I wouldn't trade Dunn straight up for Santana. He's good, but he's had a history of elbow problems and even if he didn't he's just not nearly as valuable by himself as Dunn is.

jimbo
06-18-2006, 02:45 PM
I think the idea of watching Griffey stretching his hammies out at 1B in a close play is just as disturbing as watching him run full-tilt in the outfield. I'd rather have him in LF.

I do think one of those outfielders is going to get traded sometime before next season. No way the Reds are going to keep Denorfia in Louisville for another full season next year. Maybe it will be Denorfia getting traded, but one of those four will be gone.

As much as I do not like the idea of trading Dunn, he probably has the best trade value of the four. I wouldn't have a problem with it if it doesn't turn into another Casey dump and we get something of equal or greater value. They were just talking about what Thome said about Dunn.....saying how Thome wished he had half the talent Dunn has now when he was his age. If Dunn becomes a player that can put up consistant Thome type numbers (he's already pretty close), I want to see him in a Reds uniform.

edabbs44
06-18-2006, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't be so sure.

I wouldn't trade Dunn straight up for Santana. He's good, but he's had a history of elbow problems and even if he didn't he's just not nearly as valuable by himself as Dunn is.
I think Dunn would net E Santana and more. The Angels like to win now and since their hitting is not exactly great right now, I think that trade would work. Though I am a little scared of Donnelly...he makes me believe that he was Ben Weber's weight training partner.