PDA

View Full Version : Oilers over Canes?

SunDeck
06-18-2006, 10:02 AM
I don't really know the first thing about hockey. Friends have to explain offsides to me repeatedly and I still don't understand what the referee is doing when he holds his hands out...like an NFL TV timeout signal. And every time I watch a hockey match it seems perfectly obvious that this game was invented by a group of drunken lumberjacks. After all, what else is there for men- full of beer and lacking female contact- but to carry sticks, go really fast and knock each other around? In some way, it's the perfect sport, even if I can't figure out what the heck they are doing half the time.

Anyway, I am so rooting for the Oilers now, first and foremost because I don't believe the Stanley Cup should be won by any team located in a state where the lakes won't freeze. But beyond that, these guys came out last night and just dominated the Canes. They were everywhere, all over the place, and nasty when they needed to be. From a completely ignorant, uninformed perspective, even I could tell they had that game in hand.

Lastly, I was taken up by the enthusiasm of the Oilers fans. Go Oilers!

WMR
06-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Yeah I'm rooting for the Oilers as well. I saw a really excellent "Outside the Lines" about Edmonton and their fans and their love of the Oilers. They have suffered for a long time since the Gretzky/Messier glory days, heck they thought they might lose their team: Great story and it'd be cool if they won it.

Hearing them all singing "Oh Canada" last night gave me goosebumps.

reds1869
06-18-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm in the minority, but I say Go Canes! Being a native of WV, I know too many people that live in the Triangle to not cheer for Carolina.

westofyou
06-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Skate, skate, skate... the Oilers have never stopped skating and that is a major reason why they've stuck around, that and the Canes just don't have teh defense to lock it down in their zone, the Oilers just press and create mistakes.

I'm a west fan of NHL, tends to be a bit faster and less grinding (though the Canes are more west style the east) So I'm all for the Oilers... Monday night should be a treasure, not many game sevens in the world. This one should be good.

Falls City Beer
06-18-2006, 01:23 PM
When's Jai-Alai season start? :devil: :mooner:

westofyou
06-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Right before college basketball betting season I think.

DropDocK
06-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Go Oilers!

My supervisor just left us and moved back to Canada, about 4 hours north of Edmonton. Carolina having a hockey team is just wrong imo. If they were still in Hartford, maybe I'd be more partial to them, but since I have silly Canadian friends now I'd like to see them have something to brag about.

dabvu2498
06-18-2006, 11:49 PM
It never ends!

http://www.fla-gaming.com/miami/geninfo.htm

Heath
06-19-2006, 12:06 PM
One Yankee vote for the Albertaionians.

After what the Oilers went through after Pockington drug them through the mud, they deserve it.

And Edmonton-Hartford final would have been classic.

Danny Serafini
06-19-2006, 12:16 PM
I'd prefer a Carolina win being as I'm a Flyers fan and they've got a number of players (Mark Recchi, Rod Brind'Amour, Justin Williams) who were very productive players in Philadelphia, but an Oilers win would be a good story as well.

KronoRed
06-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Go Canada

Cause they don't have many teams left of their national sport.

deltachi8
06-20-2006, 10:21 AM
I didnt care one way or the other, just wanted a good series and got that. Originally I was pulling for Edmonton, but by last night was so tired of hearing the folks here (Buffalo) whine about how it should have been them, I started to secretly hope Carolina did win. (And I am a Sabre fan and will be a 2006-07 season ticket holder).

Carolin did a terrific job, Ward was very good in net and most importantly, it was an entertaining, well played series. Looking forward to next season.

westofyou
06-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Final was a tight one, I would not have bet that teh Canes woudl get both their goals from defensemen. The Oilers and the Canes both got quick leads in teh last 2 games and then locked into a classic defensive position, it didn't make the last two very pretty to watch and the fact was the Oilers couldn't force the puck in anymore (I don't remember seeing so many up close goals since Esposito) Pronger and Peca are defensive beasts, but the Oilers could have used a scorer aside for Pisani.

As Wings fan I'll offer Jason Williams and draft choice for Roloson.

deltachi8
06-20-2006, 12:18 PM
WOY - any interest in Marty Biron? He is going to be moved this off season by the Sabres...not sure to who.

Blimpie
06-20-2006, 01:55 PM
As Wings fan I'll offer Jason Williams and draft choice for Roloson.As an Oilers fan, I'll reply...no soup for you. :D

By the way, I agree with what you said about Pisani. His fourteen goals in these playoffs tell me that they rode that horse just about all that they could.

dabvu2498
06-20-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm excited. My cousin was an intern for them this season so I'm going to make sure to get down there and get of picture of me with the Stanley Cup.

Gallen5862
06-20-2006, 03:41 PM
I was pulling for the Canes as A North Carolina resident. I was excited that so many vets got the chance to finally win the Stanley Cup. I was amazed at how many Hurricanes came back from injuries.

deltachi8
06-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Rollie the Goalie is an UFA if i recall...

deltachi8
06-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm excited. My cousin was an intern for them this season so I'm going to make sure to get down there and get of picture of me with the Stanley Cup.

Its such an amazing trophy. My son and I had our photo taken with it at the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Must admit, HOckey has the coolest trophies, and a darn good hall of fame. If you make it to Toronto, dont pass it up.