PDA

View Full Version : John Fay suggests calling up Homer Bailey

OnBaseMachine
06-18-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm glad this guy isn't in charge of things.:rolleyes:

Which jersey fits better?

Calling up a pitching gem like Bailey still very tempting

The Reds, despite the fact that they led the National League wild-card race going into Saturday, seem to be a team in need of a boost.

They're a week removed from an eight-game winning streak, but the homestand that could have solidified their position as a contender has been a massive flop.

Fans want something done. They want to trade Jason LaRue. They want to trade Adam Dunn. They want to move Felipe Lopez to third. They want to move Edwin Encarnacion to first.

But today we present an option that undoubtedly will reap benefits and doesn't involve the cooperation of another team or someone learning a new position:

Bring up Homer Bailey.

Bailey, the Reds' No. 1 prospect, is pitching at Single-A Sarasota. He's likely to get bumped to Double-A in a few weeks.

Bailey's a starter - the Reds' best hope to become the No. 1 starter who has been missing since Jose Rijo's elbow went bad.

But you wouldn't bring up Bailey to start. Put him in the bullpen. Pitch him in the seventh and eighth innings.

You'd have to put rules on the way you use him. Never let him pitch two days in a row.

Bailey's stuff is major-league caliber right now. His fastball tops out at 97 mph and is consistently 95-96 mph.

Remember what the Reds said when they traded for Esteban Yan: He throws in the mid-90s. He gives us a different look out of the bullpen.

Bailey throws harder than Yan and has better stuff across the board.

The Reds are taking the patient approach with Bailey, which is admirable.

If the Reds didn't have a chance to make the playoffs this year, it would be silly to rush him along. But when small-market teams are in a position to contend into late summer, they've got to tweak their plans.

The Reds have brought up a young prospect to help the club before. In 1970, Don Gullett, then 19, broke camp with the club.

Gullett pitched in 44 games that year. He started two, saved six and pitched a total of 77 innings.

Gullett went on to be a No. 1 starter. His career ended prematurely. But his problems had more to do with throwing 217 innings at 20 years old than throwing 77 innings as a 19-year-old.

One of the reasons for the Detroit Tigers' success has been the pushing along of some of the young arms in their system. Manager Jim Leyland told Sports Illustrated that if they're throwing 96, 97 in Lakeland, they can throw 96, 97 in Detroit.

All that said, I don't think you'll see Bailey up with the Reds this year.

When I asked general manager Wayne Krivsky about David Shafer, the 24-year-old who's 21-for-21 in saves at Double-A Chattanooga, he said, "He's put himself in line for a promotion."

But Krivsky was talking about Triple-A Louisville, not Cincinnati.

Krivsky says he would have players skip levels only in very rare cases.

But the Reds are coming upon a critical period. This is when the 2002 and 2004 teams disappeared from the race.

Reds CEO Bob Castellini fancies himself a fan. He also admits he's not a patient man.

Your typical impatient Reds fan was ready to tear up the roster by the time the Reds' losing streak hit five last week.

Krivsky says he hasn't gotten any mandate from Castellini to shake up things.

"He wants us to do things that make sense," Krivsky said.

And to Krivsky and his people, moving Bailey up two levels doesn't make sense.

We see the logic in that.

But say Bailey was in another organization, or say he was 24 instead of 20 and had three years in the minors instead of one, his arm is just the kind the Reds would love to have for their bullpen.

Krivsky does not tip his hand. But you have to think he's trying to pull off something bigger than the Juan Castro-for-Brandon Roberts trade.

But when asked about pitchers in the minors Friday, he mentioned Jason Standridge, Ryan Wagner, Mike Burns, Brad

Salmon and Mike Venafro.

Not Homer Bailey.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060618/COL09/606180407/1071/SPT04

Krusty
06-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Worst thing the Reds could do. All you have to do is look at Ryan Wagner and ask why do it?

smith288
06-18-2006, 10:05 AM
One word: Dumb.

Fay's HOF credentials != smarts

RFS62
06-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Fay is an idiot

MWM
06-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Fay is an idiot

What he said.

Homer has looked pretty good this year, but not spectacular, yet some people like Fay keep talking like the guy is mowing down minor leaguers and is looking like Josh Beckett did in the minors. Homer would get slaughtered at the major league level right now.

RedsManRick
06-18-2006, 10:30 AM
John Fay needs to look at what Nate Robertson and company did when they were first called up 3 years ago...

Redsland
06-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Gullett came up at a similar age and had his career cut short by injury, but never mind that.

Krivsky only wants guys to move up one level at a time, but Homer would only be moving up two of them (it's actually three), but never mind that.

Bringing up Homer means no one has to change positions, although he'd go from being a starter to being a reliever, but never mind that.

Detroit is doing it with young guys who by the way lost 20+ games when they came up, but never mind that (especially since this is supposed to be a win-now move).

The move would make a lot more sense if Homer were 24 or had three years of minor league experience, which is exactly why no one wants to make this move, but never mind that.

John Fay has been taking Lonnie Wheeler pills.

:rolleyes:

deltachi8
06-18-2006, 11:16 AM
They want to trade Adam Dunn. They want to move Felipe Lopez to third. They want to move Edwin Encarnacion to first.

If by "they" he means Marty, he would be right.

You dont take the chance of destroying a potential #1 or #2 starter for a half season as a set up man.

If the Reds truly remain in the race, then you trade for your set up guy.

Marty and Joe
06-18-2006, 11:31 AM
No no no no no. I agree - Fay is an idiot if he thinks this is what the Reds should do.

Homer needs developmental time. He's showing flashes of being able to dominate consistently. Don't don't don't rush him. He's got the highest ceiling we've seen from a starting pitcher in our minor leagues in several years.

I'm trusting Krivsky will handle him correctly. :pray:

Matt700wlw
06-18-2006, 11:33 AM
I would promote Homer Bailey, but not to the big leagues.

However, I WOULD bring up some guys from AA (and AAA) who seem to be getting the job done down there.

redsmetz
06-18-2006, 11:43 AM
John Fay has been taking Lonnie Wheeler pills

Please! John Fay couldn't hold Lonnie Wheeler's pen (or typewriter).

I found this column unbelievably ignorant. If the hallmark of the Krivsky's hopefully long reign with the Reds is patience, we will be a far better team for it.

Reds4Life
06-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Rushing Bailey would be a huge mistake. This team wasn't expect to contend and has huge holes in defense and the bullpen, using Bailey now will not solve any of those issues, and could crush the kid forever if he gets rocked while here.

Leave Homer alone and fix the real issues right now.

westofyou
06-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Fans want something done. They want to trade Jason LaRue. They want to trade Adam Dunn. They want to move Felipe Lopez to third. They want to move Edwin Encarnacion to first.

Then by all means throw them some fresh meat.

Gabe Paul called up Claude Osteen and Dave Skaugstad in 1957, anything is possible and many things are ridiculous and moronic.

alexad
06-18-2006, 12:10 PM
As a fan, aren't we glad we are actually talking about bringing up a pitching stud to help our team stay IN CONTENTION!!!!.

I do not think we bring Bailey up at this point. We are not in need of a starting pitcher. To bring Bailey up and place him under major pressure of our bullpen would be a bad idea.

His time will come to be in the rotation and relax and enjoy the moment.

We need bullpen help and needed it yesterday. We are going to have to realized somebody on this team is going to be traded to get that. It might be Dunn, it might be Freel, it might be LaRue, but if we want this team to win, we have to look at the fact it takes 25 players to win and we are not getting that production.

Bailey is the future of this rotation and we have to realize that. The future is not right now. This team is in contention and to stay there we will have to give up something to stay there. Rushing a young prospect is not the answer.

I give praise to Kriv for looking at the we will not promote players from AA or A ball. Make them work through the system.

Ltlabner
06-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Why rush the kid now and risk screwing him up in the long term in a panic move to adress a short term problem? Are there other people in the orginization that should be considered for moving them from A to AA or AA to AAA? Sure, of course. But I think The Kriv is a long-term thinker in addition to trying to field a competitive team in the now. To squander those long-term assets would be totally irresponsible.

Candy Cummings
06-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Just to add my dittoes. Using Homer in the bullpen is outright dumb, but I'd like to see us try some guys in the minors to see if they can do better than what we have--which is just awful.

KronoRed
06-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Call him up and destroy the only real pitching prospect we have..SMART

membengal
06-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Yes, by all means, because the bullpen is toxic lets ruin the lingering hope of catching lightning in a bottle with Bailey and rush him to the bigs. That's abject stupidty.

vaticanplum
06-18-2006, 06:24 PM
WHAT is with the one-sentence journalism?! That drives me bananas, I can't even read it for content simply because of the trendy, evil short-attention span way it looks. i'm just going to assume it doesn't say anything worth reading.

flyer85
06-18-2006, 06:38 PM
How about Shafer, he's 24 and no way he can be worse than Yan/Burns

M2
06-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Well Homer has had two good starts in a row. In classic Redsthink that should be grounds for immediate promotion to the majors.

KronoRed
06-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Well Homer has had two good starts in a row. In classic Redsthink that should be grounds for immediate promotion to the majors.
Of course, and when he would be demoted back with an era in the high 20's the people who wanted him promoted in the first place would brush it off with "well he wasn't that good anyway" ;)

reds44
06-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Shafer

He needs to be called up, not the man we call Homer.

Aronchis
06-18-2006, 07:25 PM
My guess is Fay saw that Bailey struckout the side in the FSL all-star game and thought: Gee whiz, he can k all those great hitters in the FSL, he must be ready for a promotion!!!!!

KronoRed
06-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Shafer isn't on the 40, and apparently we're afraid of losing some of the top notch guys who are on the 40 to waivers.

Jpup
06-19-2006, 08:22 AM
How about Shafer, he's 24 and no way he can be worse than Yan/Burns

that's what I said about Yan.:eek:

Heath
06-19-2006, 08:31 AM
John Fay is not the best baseball writer in Cincinnati. He isn't even on the top 5.

He interviews Marty & Hal and then educates the Cincinnati newspaper public every morning.

Sickening.

KronoRed
06-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Hope Wayne didn't read this and make his Bailey move

Falls City Beer
06-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Fay's an idiot, but I have no problem aggressively promoting Homer; maybe not to the majors, but what the hell--if he kills at AA, then he's a VERRRRY tradeable prospect all of a sudden. If not, then he will be next year.

No time to get white-knuckled or timid with our "prospects." I think Krivsky understands this principle.

dougdirt
06-19-2006, 03:46 PM
5 of his last 7 starts have yielded 1 or fewer earned runs.

WebScorpion
06-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Briniging Homer Bailey to 'The Show' now = :thumbdown

Fay --> :bash: <-- Scorp

:ughmamoru

dougdirt
06-20-2006, 12:35 PM
John Fay is at it again today. In his "Reds Notebook" he remarks that if Bailey does well in AA, often times guys will get September call ups from AA. Does he just enjoy driving me insane with these things?

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Maybe he justs enjoys the Reds losing?

Matt700wlw
06-20-2006, 04:40 PM
5 of his last 7 starts have yielded 1 or fewer earned runs.

Unacceptable. I demand pefection.

pedro
06-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Unacceptable. I demand pefection.

I believe that's one earned run. he's given up a bunch of hits and runs in short outings a couple of times IIRC.

dougdirt
06-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Actually pedro, just one of those times did he give up a bunch of hits and runs. It was 6 starts ago and he gave up 5 unearned runs thanks to 4 errors in 2.2 innings.

cincyinco
06-20-2006, 06:00 PM
Fay's an idiot, but I have no problem aggressively promoting Homer; maybe not to the majors, but what the hell--if he kills at AA, then he's a VERRRRY tradeable prospect all of a sudden. If not, then he will be next year.

No time to get white-knuckled or timid with our "prospects." I think Krivsky understands this principle.

I agree with this statement 100% FCB..

BTW, I didn't realize it was you for a second, cause of your new avitar.. :)

I think we as reds fans, after suffering so much from seeing failed prospect after prospect - for whatever reason - are being way to guarded and brittle with regards to advancing prospects...

Was votto promoted too fast last year? He's performing well this year...

I expect a learning curve - Hell, Phil Hughes learned that AA is a lot harder than A ball and I suspect Homer will too, unless he keeps piecing things together and finds some rythm and consistency. But I'm banking he can make the adjustments.

reds44
06-20-2006, 06:00 PM
John Fay is at it again today. In his "Reds Notebook" he remarks that if Bailey does well in AA, often times guys will get September call ups from AA. Does he just enjoy driving me insane with these things?
Actually in this case he is right.

If Homer pitches well in Chatanooga and we need a pitcher in September (which we all know we will), Homer could get the call.

dougdirt
06-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Well he could, but he lays it out there like its going to happen, and he needs to stop.

westofyou
06-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Well he could, but he lays it out there like its going to happen, and he needs to stop.
Homer could come up, get the "taste" in September, maybe start a game.. "that" wouldn't be criminal, it would start him on the idea that it's a better game in MLB.

But I wouldn't ride him anywhere or expect anything more than a couple of brief apperances.

IslandRed
06-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Fay probably doesn't even realize Chattanooga won the first half, so if Bailey's still there, he'll have the Southern League playoffs to pitch. My guess is that Bailey shows up in Cincinnati in late August (to be eligible for the MLB postseason) or he doesn't come up at all.