PDA

View Full Version : No mo' Rick White: DFA'ed - Standridge called up

Reds4Life
06-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Grande mentioned it on the post game show, roster move to fill his spot coming tomorrow.

Matt700wlw
06-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Bye Bye!

Matt700wlw
06-18-2006, 05:12 PM
I wonder who it will be?

Shack?

KronoRed
06-18-2006, 05:13 PM
I'd rather see Olmedo back, NOTHING in Louisville says "Call me up"

NC Reds
06-18-2006, 05:13 PM
OK, now do the same thing to Burns, Castro, and McCracken.

Gallen5862
06-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Thats great news about White.

WVRedsFan
About time. Now let's move Yan, Mercker, Burns, Hammond, and several others. If we're going to lose anyway, let's lose with the future. We must rid ourselves of everyone else's castoffs and never-have-beens.

CTA513
I wonder who it will be?

Shack?

Maybe Salmon or Shafer?

:devil:

Matt700wlw
I'd rather see Olmedo back, NOTHING in Louisville says "Call me up"

Go to Chattanooga...heck with it.

Matt700wlw
Maybe Salmon or Shafer?

:devil:

That'd work for me!

Reds Fanatic
06-18-2006, 05:15 PM
I wonder who it will be?

Shack?
Could also be Belisle he has pitched a couple times this weekend in Dayton.

KronoRed
06-18-2006, 05:15 PM
About time. Now let's move Yan, Mercker, Burns, Hammond, and several others. If we're going to lose anyway, let's lose with the future. We must rid outselves of everyone else's castoffs and never-have-beens.
Agreed, get rid of them all.

WVRedsFan
06-18-2006, 05:16 PM
I wonder who it will be?

Shack?

His last foray into MLB wasn't too impressive either. I say someone new. Anyone new. I haven't seen anyone who has been brought up yet that would make be believe they would help the club when called to the majors.

Matt700wlw
06-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Could also be Belisle he has pitched a couple times this weekend in Dayton.

I think I saw he's going to Chattagnooga for a rehab assignment...

Matt700wlw
06-18-2006, 05:18 PM
His last foray into MLB wasn't too impressive either. I say someone new. Anyone new. I haven't seen anyone who has been brought up yet that would make be believe they would help the club when called to the majors.

If they use what he's supposed to be used for, he'd be fine. Unfortunately Jerry hasn't been very good at using guys correctly as of late.

I'd like some new blood too, but we'll see.

LincolnparkRed
06-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Send Burns back. I would call up anyone you think has a future. These guys aren't cutting it. The bullpen gave up 5 runs each of the last two games is all you need to see to know that you can start over and not be any worse off

Gallen5862
06-18-2006, 05:23 PM
I am hoping maybe the Reds traded for a pitcher or claimed someone off waivers.

Ron Madden
06-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Grande mentioned it on the post game show, roster move to fill his spot coming tomorrow.

Well that's a start. We still have too many guys on the 25 man roster who have no bussiness even being on the 40 man roster.

CTA513
06-18-2006, 05:25 PM
I am hoping maybe the Reds traded for a pitcher or claimed someone off waivers.

I hope not, because if they did its probably someone who stunk so much they got booted from the team or someone that is a "veteran".

KronoRed
06-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Sad our best hope is guys nobody else wants :lol:

CTA513
06-18-2006, 05:43 PM
"Rick White designated for assignment and Jason Standridge's contract being purchased from Louisville. " - Marcs Blog.

:barf:

KronoRed
06-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Stanbridge?!

Gallen5862
06-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Well at least its a new move. Maybe Burns gets sent back down to call up Belise or another arm.

CTA513
06-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Stanbridge?!

Yup... you have to give all the veterans a shot before you try the younger guys out.

:help:

IslandRed
06-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Guess they don't think Belisle's ready yet. As for Standridge, Krivsky already DFA'd him once, he can do it again if necessary. :D

Reds4Life
06-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Standridge.

This is so pathetic I'm not sure if I should laugh or go smash my head in a vice.

MrCinatit
06-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Standridge.

This is so pathetic I'm not sure if I should laugh or go smash my head in a vice.

Does the line behind you form to the left, or the right?

remdog
06-18-2006, 05:58 PM
I mentioned in the game thread that I hoped that Burns hadn't unpacked yet 'cause I would simply release the guy. It's evident that he can't pitch at the ML level and I don't see any point in sending him back to L'ville. Releaseing him could open a sport for Belisle and also make room at AAA for some of the youngsters at Chat.

Rem

KronoRed
06-18-2006, 05:58 PM
Dear Wayne, these guys stink..please do something.

Gallen5862
06-18-2006, 06:35 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...8/c1512312.jsp
White's Reds stint to come to an end
06/18/2006 5:10 PM ET
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Reliever Rick White's dream has ended.
Following Sunday's 8-1 loss to the White Sox, White learned he will be designated for assignment by the Reds on Monday. The club has 10 days to trade or release the veteran right-hander, or it could send him outright to the Minors.

White often struggled while working the middle innings this season and was 1-0 with a 6.26 ERA in 26 games. General manager Wayne Krivsky said he would do what he could to deal the pitcher to another club.

The Reds are looking to beef up a bullpen that has scuffled this season. It posted a 6.75 ERA during the just concluded 2-8 homestand.

Cincinnati will call up right-hander Jason Standridge from Triple-A Louisville to replace White on the roster. He will be with the team when it opens a four-game series Monday against the Mets at Shea Stadium.

The 37-year-old White is a lifelong resident of Springfield, Ohio, located 80 miles northeast of Cincinnati, and grew up a Reds fan.

After he pitched for nine other Major League organizations, White was signed to a one-year, $600,000 contract on Feb. 1 by former interim GM Brad Kullman.

During Spring Training, White called pitching for a Reds "a dream come true."

In 27 1/3 innings, White gave up 34 hits, including five homers. Opposing batters hit .318 against him and .371 with runners in scoring position.

"I know Rick White has always wanted to pitch here," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "Just in the role he was in, with the numbers he had, we've got to do everything we can to try and get better and get some guys in here that can pitch in winning situations."

Standridge is 2-2 with a 2.62 ERA and two saves in 29 games with Louisville and has a 1.23 ERA over his last 22 innings. The 27-year-old posted a 4.06 ERA in 32 relief appearances for Cincinnati last season and was sent outright to Louisville during Spring Training.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs

kheidg-
06-18-2006, 06:49 PM
Now lets see Shackelford for Yan and Belisle for Burns.

CrackerJack
06-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Band-aids trying to cover a gaping wound

Doc. Scott
06-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Standridge deserves another shot. He's pitched exceptionally well in AAA after a bad spring and slow start.

reds44
06-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Standridge deserves another shot. He's pitched exceptionally well in AAA after a bad spring and slow start.
Yep I don't mind bringing Jason up, but Shafer needs to be up here for Mr. Burns. Then when Belisle comes back get rid of Yan or Merker.

Doc. Scott
06-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Agreed on Shafer over Burns. Or, if they need the lefty, Coutlangus for Mercker is fine with me (even though it's much more likely to be Venafro, something of a Proven Veteran).

Shack hasn't been doing too terribly well in AAA. Not getting killed, but giving up a bunch of hits.

flyer85
06-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Now lets see Shackelford for Yan and Belisle for Burns.that would make too much sense. I have lost a lot of confidence with the moves made by Wayne of late. (sending out the only LOOGY, bringing in Yan and Castro, staying with QM, thinking Mays is a solution to any problem)

Patrick Bateman
06-18-2006, 09:42 PM
I've always liked Standridge. He's pitched well this year in AAA, and seems to have some ability to miss bats. He's got fairly decent stuff, I think his main problem is throwing strikes. I think he's got a decent shot at being a solid reliever. One thing for sure is that I would rather see him pitch than White, Yan, Burns and quite possibly Weathers, Mercker, and Belisle.

Redsland
06-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Krivsky gives us all a Fathers Day gift.

KronoRed
06-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Krivsky gives us all a Fathers Day gift.
By bringing Burns back?!? ;)

Redsland
06-18-2006, 10:09 PM
No, releasing him is tomorrow's gift.

For, uh, UPS Guy Day.

Yeah, that's it.

:)

oneupper
06-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Logical Move. Burns, Standridge, Shackleford etc...at least are getting guys out at AAA. They MIGHT be serviceable.

White was always a bad pitcher and wasn't going to get better.

GAC
06-19-2006, 06:09 AM
Dear Wayne, these guys stink..please do something.

Easier said then done.

What? What is he gonna do that can help us NOW in the specific area of bullpen?

Not much at all. ;)

He has already went around the leagues grabbing up the scraps, and basically taking the chance /risk that a change of scenery might make a difference with a few of these guys we've acquired.

A trade? What do we have, talent-wise, to offer for bullpen help/middle relief?

And what team is gonna let that kind of pitching talent go at this stage of the season? They're not.

IMO - we're stuck folks. At least until the halfway mark when teams might be willing to deal.

And even then it's gonna cost ya something.... a Denorfria, maybe a Bruce, along with someone off the ML roster?.... Aurilia, Freel, Hatteberg, Lopez, Phillips. One of those players, or a combination, where you have retained someone to slide into that vacant position.

Would love to see it be Aurilia or Freel. They are expendable IMO.

If a deal is available for a Lopez, do you do it? And then slide BP to SS and Freel to 2B? Or how about Kearns, and put Freel in RF?

But you're not gonna get jack IMO for a LaRue, Valentin, or even a Castro. That's living in a fantasy world if one thinks so.

It's gonna cost this team something in order to do what they have to to improve this BP.

Or they are gonna have to wait till the off-season.

I am fully against jerking kids up here from AA just to see what they can do. First off - I really don't think any of them are really ready/up to the task. And I think it is a very risky maneuver. And Krivsky knows this, and you're not gonna see it happen IMO.

Strikes Out Looking
06-19-2006, 08:55 AM
The way this teams been hitting lately does it really matter if its White or Burns on the roster? Neither are coming in with the game on the line. I hope the Reds learned something watching the White Sox offense this weekend because if you don't have any runs in the 6th inning it doesn't matter who is pitching.

WVRedsFan
06-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Easier said then done.

What? What is he gonna do that can help us NOW in the specific area of bullpen?

Not much at all. ;)

He has already went around the leagues grabbing up the scraps, and basically taking the chance /risk that a change of scenery might make a difference with a few of these guys we've acquired.

A trade? What do we have, talent-wise, to offer for bullpen help/middle relief?

And what team is gonna let that kind of pitching talent go at this stage of the season? They're not.

IMO - we're stuck folks. At least until the halfway mark when teams might be willing to deal.

And even then it's gonna cost ya something.... a Denorfria, maybe a Bruce, along with someone off the ML roster?.... Aurilia, Freel, Hatteberg, Lopez, Phillips. One of those players, or a combination, where you have retained someone to slide into that vacant position.

Would love to see it be Aurilia or Freel. They are expendable IMO.

If a deal is available for a Lopez, do you do it? And then slide BP to SS and Freel to 2B? Or how about Kearns, and put Freel in RF?

But you're not gonna get jack IMO for a LaRue, Valentin, or even a Castro. That's living in a fantasy world if one thinks so.

It's gonna cost this team something in order to do what they have to to improve this BP.

Or they are gonna have to wait till the off-season.

I am fully against jerking kids up here from AA just to see what they can do. First off - I really don't think any of them are really ready/up to the task. And I think it is a very risky maneuver. And Krivsky knows this, and you're not gonna see it happen IMO.

AFter the emotion of the loss has died down, you come to the realization that you are 100% correct. First, there's not much out there and second, what we have won't get good pitching straight up. You're right. Maybe at the AS break, but more likely in the off season. We have to do the best we can until then.

WVRedsFan
06-19-2006, 10:46 AM
The way this teams been hitting lately does it really matter if its White or Burns on the roster? Neither are coming in with the game on the line. I hope the Reds learned something watching the White Sox offense this weekend because if you don't have any runs in the 6th inning it doesn't matter who is pitching.

Once again--another voice of reason. Yesterday, if the bullpen had not imploded, we still lose 3-0. It makes no difference. I'm trying to figure out if lineup construction has anything major to do with it. At first glance, I think so.

Rojo
06-19-2006, 09:18 PM
If a deal is available for a Lopez, do you do it? And then slide BP to SS and Freel to 2B?

Boy, do I!

Matt700wlw
06-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Boy, do I!

Lopez for Joe Nathan

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 01:30 AM
Lopez for Joe Nathan
I think we can get more then a 31 year old closer.

Ron Madden
06-20-2006, 02:50 AM

Me too Krono, I'd love to have a dependable closer but..

I Believe the whole idea of trading for a stud closer is over valued.

WebScorpion
06-20-2006, 12:51 PM
WoooHoooo!!! :rockband:
:jump: :dancingco :jump:

This management team proves again that they're not afraid of dropping the dead weight from the team. Now if they can just locate some serviceable replacements we'll have a season to remember... :D

Matt700wlw
06-20-2006, 04:15 PM

Ok...Johan Santana! :)

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 05:33 PM
That's good thinking :D

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Me too Krono, I'd love to have a dependable closer but..

I Believe the whole idea of trading for a stud closer is over valued.
I agree, I look at a closer as another relief pitcher, no different.