PDA

View Full Version : Aurilia OK... Homer to AA

dabvu2498
06-19-2006, 08:12 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0619redsnotesweb.html

Aurilia OK; Bailey to start in Class AA
By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

CINCINNATI | In his 10-plus years in the major leagues, Rich Aurilia has dove back into bases many times, although he says, "I don't know why the White Sox tried to pick me off second base. I ain't going anywhere."

Jose Contreras did it anyway, threw to second base in the fourth inning, forcing Aurilia to dive back head first. And also forcing Aurilia out of the game.

After scoring a run on Scott Hatteberg's single, he left the game with a strained right biceps muscle.

Although Aurilia felt better Sun day and is on the upcoming seven-game trip to New York for four games against the Mets and to Cleveland for three against the Indians, he didn't play Sunday. Juan Castro was at third base.

"I'll be OK in a day or two," he said. "I don't know if I landed weird or what. It's something I've done a million times without anything happening.

When I got up I felt something weird in my armpit area. I felt it when I ran home, so I went to the cages to see if I could throw, and it didn't feel very good. It was a weird, freak thing that never happened before."

Castro played mostly shortstop for Minnesota this year, and when asked how much third he played, he said, "None. I took some ground balls at third during batting practice a few times, but not much. I'll have to get used to it."

Castro played third often during his previous stop in Cincinnati (2000-2004).

Bailey to Chattanooga

Homer Bailey is going to be promoted this week from Class A Sarasota to Class AA Chattanooga, and if manager Jerry Narron had his way the promotion would be an airline ticket to Cincinnati.

After hearing that Bailey struck out the side on 12 pitches during a one-inning appearances Saturday in the Florida State League All-Star game, Narron said, "I kid (general manager) Wayne Krivsky that when I get the minor-league reports every day and Bailey pitches, they white-out his results so I don't see them."

Said Krivsky, "Bailey's next start will be in Chattanooga."

White designated

Springfield's Rick White (1-0, 6.26) took the hit this time for a Reds bullpen that has become the Firestarters. White was designated for assignment after Sunday's 8-1 loss to the White Sox, even though he didn't pitch Sunday or Saturday during the three-game sweep. He gave up a run in two innings Friday during a 12-4 defeat.

"It's tough to tell a player no matter who it is, and Rick always wanted to pitch here," said manager Jerry Narron. "In the role he was in (middle relief), with the numbers he had, we have to do everything we can to get better."

White's place will be taken by Jason Standridge, 2-2 with a 2.62 ERA at Class AAA Louisville.

It's not Dayton

Speaking of Chattanooga, after two rehab appearances at Fifth Third Field for the Class A Dayton Dragons, pitcher Matt Belisle is moving to Class AA Chattanooga for three appearances this week.

Hearing that, relief pitcher Todd Coffey said to Belisle, "Chattanooga is a step down from Dayton, believe me. I hit 'em all on my way up and Chattanooga is a step down from Dayton."

Coffey loved Dayton so much when he pitched there that his daughter's middle name is Dayton.

Just plain Pedro

All of the starting pitchers for both teams for the four-game series in New York against the Mets this week are written on a board in manager Jerry Narron's office.

All are listed by their last names, except one. For the Mets on Wednesday, it's "Pedro."

"When I was a coach with the Red Sox (and) did the lineup card, I always put Pedro instead of Martinez," said Narron. "People in baseball, when they refer to him they don't say Martinez, they say Pedro. People know who you are talking about."

Not home, sweet home

How not to win games and influence fans. It is bad enough that the Reds are 17-19 in Great American Ball Park, but it tets worse. In front of the 10 biggest crowds at home this season, the Reds are 1-9 and have been shut out three times.

Reds scout dies

Brian Wilson, 33, a Reds scouting supervisor from Albany, Texas, a scout who had a hand in signing the last three Reds No. 1 draft picks (Drew Stubbs, Jay Bruce, Homer Bailey) died of a heart attack Saturday at his home.

The father of three daughters had just finished helping the Reds sign Stubbs, this year's No. 1 pick.

cumberlandreds
06-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Here's to much success for Homer in AA.:beerme:
IMO the Reds are doing him right. If he proves he can get hitters out in AA and then AAA then the ticket to the majors is his. But not until then.

Jpup
06-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Here's to much success for Homer in AA.:beerme:
IMO the Reds are doing him right. If he proves he can get hitters out in AA and then AAA then the ticket to the majors is his. But not until then.

ETA 2008 at the earliest.

Redhook
06-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Plenty of players jump from AA to the majors. If Bailey pitches well there for a few starts and Joe Mays pitches like, well, you know, Joe Mays, then there actually is a chance Bailey could be up here this year. Still unlikely, and maybe rushed, but this could be the shot in the arm this team needs.

Jpup
06-19-2006, 08:20 AM
Plenty of players jump from AA to the majors. If Bailey pitches well there for a few starts and Joe Mays pitches like, well, you know, Joe Mays, then there actually is a chance Bailey could be up here this year. Still unlikely, and maybe rushed, but this could be the shot in the arm this team needs.

not going to happen this year. Wanyno doesn't believe in skipping levels. It would be a huge mistake.

Redhook
06-19-2006, 08:22 AM
not going to happen this year. Wanyno doesn't believe in skipping levels. It would be a huge mistake.

I highly doubt it'll happen too, but you never know. I do think he'll make an appearance sometime in 2007 though.

Jpup
06-19-2006, 08:24 AM
I highly doubt it'll happen too, but you never know. I do think he'll make an appearance sometime in 2007 though.

lets hope not because that means the Reds will not be any good next year. If anything, he would be a September call up and that would mean the Reds were out of the race. Krisky is going to be patient. I'm not sure that Homer is really the best in the sytem anyhow.

dabvu2498
06-19-2006, 08:25 AM
I'm surprised... Bailey had a 4.74 ERA in May... he was lights out in April.

Current numbers at Sarasota:

ORG AGE PLAYER IP W L H K BB HR ERA FIP-ERA
Cin 20 Homer Bailey 70.2 3 5 49 79 22 6 3.31 3.26 4.74 ERA in May

Redhook
06-19-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm surprised... Bailey had a 4.74 ERA in May... he was lights out in April.

Current numbers at Sarasota:

ORG AGE PLAYER IP W L H K BB HR ERA FIP-ERA
Cin 20 Homer Bailey 70.2 3 5 49 79 22 6 3.31 3.26 4.74 ERA in May

Bailey has pitched well of late. His WHIP is 1.00. He's striking out more than 1/inning. I'm curious to see how he'll do in AA. I think it'll be a nice challenge for him.

flyer85
06-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Bailey needs to keep the walks under control and lower the HR rate. He is not anywhere near ready for the bigs at this point.