PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Pitching Staff?

schroomytunes
06-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Looking through the free agents after this year, I am trying to find the best players we can get to improve the staff w/o overpaying for high priced veterans, Just trying to be realistic.(mlb4u.com)

2006 roster carryovers:
starters-harang,arroyo,milton,lizard.---we need another lefty.

bullpen-coffey,belisle,claussen---we need 2 righties, 1 lefty, and a guy to make it out of AAA.

To fix this w/o breaking the bank and trying to be realistic. I say we spend @10million more next year and we lose some dead weight(wilson) This is what I came up with.

bullpen additions: Aaron Fultz(LHRP PHI) and Chad Bradford(RHRP NYM) these guys will shore up the middle relief @ 4million total.

Starter:Ted Lilly(TOR) he will probably cost @ 6 million per but he is a definite upgrade to the rotation and it makes the unit pretty solid.

I think these moves make a major upgrade to the staff and I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Francisco Cordero(RHRP Tex) to be our closer, at worst he splits time with Coffey. As always we can fill 1-2 spots with waiver wire claims or AAA guys. i think this is a reasonable assumption.

redsandrails
06-19-2006, 10:41 PM
I say no way to Ted Lilly. He's not very good, IMO. He's not bad but production similar to his level can be had by guys from AAA almost. I mean there are lots of starters with ERA's in the 4's. Guys from Oakland without a rotation spot like Sarloos or Halsey would be just good and younger, much cheaper and more upside. I'd even try a Jason Jennings type before Lilly. Mine as well spent 10-12 million per year and get a Zito or Schmidt than spend 6 million and only get a Lilly. Lilly was also god awful last year and really hasn't shown any signs of being better than a bad #3 or solid #4 starter. Heck, Lilly's struggles last year were similar to Claussen's this year so he's not even an upgrade really. Again, if we are going to spend money on starting pitching then it should be on an ace or as close to an ace as possible.

RedLegSuperStar
06-19-2006, 10:50 PM
I agree with redsandrails.. Lilly wouldn't be my pick.. especially if his price tag is 6 mil. I'd go after guys like Jason Marquis, Adam Eaton (60 DL... Might sign a cheap 1 year deal), or Gil Meche

pedro
06-19-2006, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I hope the Rds are able to add a starter or two better than Lilly next year. Hell, I don't even want to wait that long.