PDA

View Full Version : Smoltz Available?

RedsMan3203
06-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Should we give a call down to the dirty south to Atlanta and see what they are looking for?

Smoltz is going to want out........ The Braves are done......

Could we package something up without giving up to much?

Matt700wlw
06-19-2006, 10:36 PM
It's going to take a ton to get Smoltz...sure, make the call, but I don't think the Reds can get it done.

He could end up in Detroit.

LawFive
06-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Funny, I was just thinking about this as the segment came up on BBTN.

How about Smoltz for Dunn? Throw in one of the AA relievers if the Braves want more.

Deno comes up to play LF everyday. Rotation is Smoltz, Harang, Arroyo, Milton, Ramirez. Allows the Reds to get rid of Mays or whatever other riff-raff they think about using for the #5 spot.

Use the $ saved by trading Dunn to pick up Smoltz' option for 07. You also have Wilson coming off the books after this season, so the salaries are probably close to a wash.

IslandRed
06-19-2006, 10:45 PM
The Braves have a club option on Smoltz for $8 million, which is very reasonable assuming his arm doesn't fall off in the meantime. I guess it depends on whether Schuerholz believes the situation calls for retooling or rebuilding.

CTA513
06-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Should we give a call down to the dirty south to Atlanta and see what they are looking for?

Smoltz is going to want out........ The Braves are done......

Could we package something up without giving up to much?

Are you sure Smoltz is going to want out?
Maybe he would want to stay with the Braves like Griffey wants to stay with the Reds?

kaldaniels
06-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Ixnay on Oltzsmay....

From the AJC...

Braves' veterans won't be traded
July 31 deadline: Closers in short supply

By DAVID O'BRIEN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/20/06

The 15-5 surge through May 28 that put the Braves in the thick of the NL East race is a faded memory, erased by an epic 3-17 slide that has buried them at the bottom of the division standings.

So where do the Braves 14 games behind division-leading New York and 7 1/2 behind wild card leader Cincinnati before today go from here?

Contrary to speculation by fans and media, the Braves have no plans to trade veteran stalwarts and start rebuilding, a person familiar with the Braves' discussions said Monday. The team hasn't discussed trading Smoltz, Hudson or the Joneses. All are signed beyond this season, and Smoltz and Chipper Jones can veto any trade. John Smoltz, Tim Hudson, Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones ... the Braves aren't planning to trade them.

The team says it believes Mike Hampton will be fully recovered from elbow surgery next season and join Smoltz and Hudson to lead a formidable starting rotation.

Nor do the Braves plan to trade top prospect Jarrod Saltalamacchia this summer in a package to get a big bat or top closer to bolster their club for a second-half run.

Braves officials want to see how the team plays in the next 10 days, at home against Toronto and on a trip to Tampa Bay and Yankee Stadium. Then, they'll have a better idea if there's realistic hope of a postseason berth.

"It's frustrating and perplexing and dismaying, aggravating, all that," Braves general manager John Schuerholz said of his team's struggles, which can be tied partly to injuries, but also to experienced players who have underperformed, and the unpredictable nature of relying so heavily on young players.

The Braves have depended on a bevy of second-year players in key roles, and only catcher Brian McCann from that group has improved upon his rookie performance.

If they keep losing, the Braves would re-evaluate and might intensify attempts to trade pitchers John Thomson, Jorge Sosa, and perhaps others.

Schuerholz was adamant when asked if the state of flux in team ownership has affected his ability to trade or add payroll.

"Zero effect," he said. "We have everything we've had in the past. There's been zero impact from the pending sale. Zero. Z-e-r-o."

The Braves still have several million dollars available to spend after failing to land a closer this winter.

When asked if the team needed to trade for someone simply to provide a "spark," Schuerholz said the current players could provide that.

"If we play the type of baseball we're capable of playing, I think we could make a mark on this division and in this postseason picture," Schuerholz said Sunday, a few hours before the beleaguered bullpen gave up seven runs in the last two innings of a 10-7 loss to Boston.

That extended their losing streak to seven games, the Braves' longest since 1990.

Schuerholz has tried for weeks to bolster the bullpen, which has a 5.29 ERA more than a quarter-run worse than any other National League team and a league-high 14 blown saves. The market is dry and no closers are expected to become available before the July 31 trade deadline.

The first seeds for the bullpen debacle were sown this winter when the Braves bid for several closers and missed out on each, including Braves free agent Kyle Farnsworth (who went to the Yankees), San Diego's Trevor Hoffman, Cleveland's Bob Wickman and Detroit's Todd Jones.

Then, the Braves lost two potential future closers, Blaine Boyer and Joey Devine, to injuries in the season's first week. Boyer is out all season; Devine is rehabbing his back and could return later this summer.

Wickman could be among those available near the trade deadline, but the Braves won't mortgage their future by giving up a wealth of young talent for a quick fix if they don't have a good shot at the playoffs.

There lies the dilemma teams with playoff hopes aren't ready to start dumping players, but the Braves might be out of it when teams are ready.

Patrick Bateman
06-19-2006, 10:51 PM
How about Smoltz for Dunn? Throw in one of the AA relievers if the Braves want more.

IMO, that would be a poor trade. Getting Smoltz would be nice, but he is a 1-2 year rental for a team that is still at best a fringe play-off contender. Dunn still has many great years left in him (and we control him for an extra year even if you include the Smoltz option. Dunn is younger and is more likely than just about any other star player to want to play in Cincinnati. Unless we get offered a deal that is simply too good to pass up for Dunn I don't think we should trade him. I'd much rather prefer to target a younger pitcher that fits into the future plans.

TheBigLebowski
06-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Funny, I was just thinking about this as the segment came up on BBTN.

Deno comes up to play LF everyday. Rotation is Smoltz, Harang, Arroyo, Milton, Ramirez. Allows the Reds to get rid of Mays or whatever other riff-raff they think about using for the #5 spot.

Use the $ saved by trading Dunn to pick up Smoltz' option for 07. You also have Wilson coming off the books after this season, so the salaries are probably close to a wash.

That trade and that trade alone could ruin Krivsky as a GM.

Smoltz is almost done, and he costs a ton. Dunn is one of the best young power hitters in the game. I'm tired of watching the Braves fleece us in trades. This would simply be another deal we make with Atlanta in which we get it where the sun don't shine.

cincinnati chili
06-20-2006, 12:25 AM
Ten Five

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 12:28 AM
He's got 10-5, doubt very much he'd approve a trade here, he'd want a serious no doubt contender.

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 12:28 AM
Damnit Chili, stop reading my posts before I make them :p:

;)

Scrap Irony
06-20-2006, 12:36 AM
If the Reds received Smoltz for Dunn, Saltamacchia had better be in the deal as a third party.

And Milton better be going the other way.

Dunn is far more valuable, at this point in their respective careers, than is Smoltz.

(But, that said, I'd still make the deal of Salty and Smoltz for Dunn.)

pedro
06-20-2006, 02:08 AM
I bet Smoltz would go to Detroit.

WVRedsFan
06-20-2006, 02:23 AM
Just a thought. Do not hold this against me.

Deno (I hate that nickname) is not your savior.

That is all...

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 02:44 AM
Keep saying that and you might see him at your door in a not so pleased mood :evil:

WVRedsFan
06-20-2006, 02:48 AM
Keep saying that and you might see him at your door in a not so pleased mood :evil:

Maybe I'd get an autograph from the next Hall of Famer?

Heath
06-20-2006, 08:25 AM
I bet Smoltz would go to Detroit.

He's a local guy - he's was drafted and traded by Detroit.

He almost went there the last time Smoltz was a free-agent.

If he goes anywhere - It's Detroit...and the Tigers may just become the 2006 version of the 2005 White Sox.

15fan
06-20-2006, 08:30 AM
No way Smoltz wants out of Atlanta.

He's here until he hangs 'em up.

Strikes Out Looking
06-20-2006, 08:32 AM
A few thoughts:

1. Smoltz's arm (elbow) isn't exactly the safest bet in the world.
2. Atlanta may not want Dunn. He isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea. K K BB HR K GO K BB PU HR isn't for the fainthearted. (I'm not sure if it's for me anymore either, but that's another story).
3. Deno may or may not be the answer in the OF, my guess is he'll be ok, but Jay Bruce may more likely be the best OF prospect in the system and he is only probably a couple of years away.
4. Believe it or not, SP hasn't really been the problem this year. The BP and consistent offense has been--two tough things to trade for.

Jpup
06-20-2006, 08:39 AM
This may be the spot that Atlanta fleeces Detroit, yet again.

westofyou
06-20-2006, 09:56 AM
How about a 26 year old in his prime for a 39 year old pitcher on his way out?

How about the player leading the squad in HR and runs scored, for a guy who has thrown over 3000 innings?

That would be a horrible trade.

westofyou
06-20-2006, 09:57 AM
No way Smoltz wants out of Atlanta.

He's here until he hangs 'em up.
Hard to leave the course up there in The Country Club of the South.

Heath
06-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Hard to leave the course up there in The Country Club of the South.

Yeah, but you could switch it to the TPC of Dearborn and get fresh picked Michigan cherries.

That would be tough to turn down.

westofyou
06-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah, but you could switch it to the TPC of Dearborn and get fresh picked Michigan cherries.

That would be tough to turn down.
Or Oakland Hills.

Heath
06-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Or Oakland Hills.

Then, when the World Series opens in Comerica Park :eek: :yikes: and the hometown kid comes in and tosses a gem, all of Detroit and Comstock Park rejoices.

membengal
06-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Considering Smoltz came from the Tigers organization back in the day (you will remember, vaguely, that he was dealt to Atlanta for Doyle Alexander back in 1987), there would be something of a circle of life rightness to him returning to Detroit at the end of his career...

westofyou
06-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Considering Smoltz came from the Tigers organization back in the day (you will remember, vaguely, that he was dealt to Atlanta for Doyle Alexander back in 1987), there would be something of a circle of life rightness to him returning to Detroit at the end of his career...
Babe Ruth - Boston Brave
Willie Mays - New York Met
Duke Snider - New York Met

Blimpie
06-20-2006, 01:01 PM
I bet Smoltz would go to Detroit.He all but threw his hat into the ring the other night during an interview with ESPN the night he pitched against Schilling. He spoke in general terms that being traded was now a real possibility. Then, he spoke in specific terms about Detroit being a desireable trade fit for both parties. He specifically acknowledged that they (Detroit) would "try to bring him back home.."

OldXOhio
06-20-2006, 01:56 PM
If he goes anywhere - It's Detroit...

The Yankees say hello.

membengal
06-20-2006, 01:57 PM
1. Smoltz is a 10/5 guy, he can dictate in a lot of ways where he goes and IF he goes.

2. The Tigers' farm system is FAR better in terms of prospects that might entice the Braves than the Yankees is.

redsmetz
06-20-2006, 02:06 PM
IMO, that would be a poor trade. Getting Smoltz would be nice, but he is a 1-2 year rental for a team that is still at best a fringe play-off contender. Dunn still has many great years left in him (and we control him for an extra year even if you include the Smoltz option. Dunn is younger and is more likely than just about any other star player to want to play in Cincinnati. Unless we get offered a deal that is simply too good to pass up for Dunn I don't think we should trade him. I'd much rather prefer to target a younger pitcher that fits into the future plans.

Thank you! Smoltz is 39 years old. If Dunn ever gets traded, it needs to be for much more than a pitcher who maybe has a couple of years left.

Falls City Beer
06-20-2006, 02:07 PM
I want no part of acquiring a guy like Smoltz.

Joseph
06-20-2006, 02:23 PM
I would be ok with Smoltz, so long as we are sending the Braves something like David Ross or Willie Bergolla [ie things that aren't something we'll be building around] and or other minor leaguers [not prospects, but guys in AA or AAA who don't project to much].

And yes I'm realistic enough to understand the Braves would not make a trade such as that.

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 04:35 PM
The Yankees say hello.
He won't go there, he wants a contender ;)

Matt700wlw
06-20-2006, 04:37 PM
The Yankees say hello.

Detroit's better than the Yankees.

OldXOhio
06-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Detroit's better than the Yankees.

So your money is on the Tigers to make the playoffs over the Yankees?

membengal
06-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Mine would be. Wild Card is coming out of the AL Central, whichever of Detroit and White Sox doesn't win the division will take the WC. Yanks/Red Sox not only don't have luxury of WC this time around, they are both emperiled by the Blue Jays...

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 12:06 AM
So your money is on the Tigers to make the playoffs over the Yankees?
Mine is.

But I've been wrong before.

TOBTTReds
06-21-2006, 12:47 AM
We dont have a need for him. He is just like Harang, the Lizard, and Milton. But, he doesn't get past the 7th inning, therefore, our bullpen would have to pitch two innings, which means a loss.

His numbers of late aren't exactly impressive.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_player_gamebygamelog.jsp?c_id=atl&playerID=122477&statType=2

OldXOhio
06-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Mine would be. Wild Card is coming out of the AL Central, whichever of Detroit and White Sox doesn't win the division will take the WC.

It's not even July yet. A little early to be making this statement.

Also, keep in mind the Yanks have been beat up, yet have remained in the hunt. Their FO hasn't gone on their usual buying spree yet either. A lot could change before Sept 1st.

RANDY IN INDY
06-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Personally, I don't think Smoltz is going to command a Dunn type talent. That is not a realistic return for a guy that is on the downside.