PDA

View Full Version : Thru his first 162 games Jerry Narron's record is 84-78.

reds44
06-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Thru his first 162 games Jerry Narron's record is 84-78.

The Reds’ record in the 162 games prior to Jerry’s hiring was 65-97 (.401).

tripleaaaron
06-19-2006, 11:44 PM
although not at all flashy, Narron has been wonderful with this team. how many of us thought that we would be doing this well at the beginning of the year, generally speaking the highest expectations were a .500 team, with most saying 10 games or so below. So Narron has indeed done great things w/ what he has had, 3 catchers, at one time 4 second basemen, and a terrible bullpen. I couldn't have asked for more from Jerry Narron. Also, I was in attendence at the game that Javy hit the walk-off homer, and up to that point the most exciting part of the game was Narron arguing a called strike on Dunn, and then getting tossed, Im not saying it was the reason for the win, but it definately sparked the crowd at the right time. You've done wonderfully Jerry!

WVRedsFan
06-20-2006, 02:08 AM
although not at all flashy, Narron has been wonderful with this team. how many of us thought that we would be doing this well at the beginning of the year, generally speaking the highest expectations were a .500 team, with most saying 10 games or so below. So Narron has indeed done great things w/ what he has had, 3 catchers, at one time 4 second basemen, and a terrible bullpen. I couldn't have asked for more from Jerry Narron. Also, I was in attendence at the game that Javy hit the walk-off homer, and up to that point the most exciting part of the game was Narron arguing a called strike on Dunn, and then getting tossed, Im not saying it was the reason for the win, but it definately sparked the crowd at the right time. You've done wonderfully Jerry!

No one can argue that Jerry Narron has done a fair job with this team, but others could probably argue that he also cost them about 10 games with his handling of pitchers and crazy lineups. Nevertheless, a winning record is something to crow about around here and I'll give him his due...he's the best since Jack McKeon. And he's miles above "Miles" and Boone.

But I will say that Narron has been the beneficiary of new ownership and general management that is far different than what Miley and Boone had to deal with. O'Brien fiddles while the Reds burned and Lindner was just a hands-off guy, so nothing happened. BobC came in and made change after change while Krivsky made trades for Bronson Arroyo and Phillips.

I still say that Narron is a good guy and an adequate manager, but he's not the guy to get us back in the hunt for playoff spots. If I'm wrong I'll eat crow and admit it, but as for now, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ron Madden
06-20-2006, 02:52 AM
[QUOTE=WVRedsFan]No one can argue that Jerry Narron has done a fair job with this team, but others could probably argue that he also cost them about 10 games with his handling of pitchers and crazy lineups. Nevertheless, a winning record is something to crow about around here and I'll give him his due...he's the best since Jack McKeon. And he's miles above "Miles" and Boone.

But I will say that Narron has been the beneficiary of new ownership and general management that is far different than what Miley and Boone had to deal with. O'Brien fiddles while the Reds burned and Lindner was just a hands-off guy, so nothing happened. BobC came in and made change after change while Krivsky made trades for Bronson Arroyo and Phillips.

I still say that Narron is a good guy and an adequate manager, but he's not the guy to get us back in the hunt for playoff spots. If I'm wrong I'll eat crow and admit it, but as for now, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.[/QUOTE

I agree.

Jpup
06-20-2006, 07:01 AM
The players make the manager/coach most of the time. I don't expect him back next season unless the Reds make the playoffs.

I'm not a Narron supporter, but he hasn't done a horrible job considering the dreck that is the Reds pitching staff. I'm in favor of better players, no matter who the manager is.

terminator
06-20-2006, 07:59 AM

He had a .500 record last year when he had to deal with the same ownership and management. That was substantially better than the previous managers under the exact same conditions (maybe worse ones actually). So, I don't think it's fair just to chalk up his record to being the beneficiary of new management.

As for getting to the next level, I think we can get there with Narron. But he can't get us there with some of the holes we have. Not that the Reds are bad, but there are some glaring differences between the Reds and World Series caliber teams. And it isn't Narron's fault that we are lacking those elements of a great team.

Strikes Out Looking
06-20-2006, 08:33 AM
I think the record tells you just how bad Miley and Boone were.

redsmetz
06-20-2006, 08:39 AM

Out of fairness to Dave Miley, I'm not sure he was given a decent hand to work with. He was an excellent manager at AAA and I hope he gets another chance to manage at the major league level - this time with a team with a better roster.

dabvu2498
06-20-2006, 08:40 AM
And how bad their teams were.

One can not deny that we have had better production from better players, ie:

Brandon Phillips vs. D'Angelo Jimenez (2004)

Kearns now vs. Kearns (2004)

What Ross has given so far vs. LaRue (.765 OPS in 2004)

Bronson Arroyo vs Ryan Dempster, Jimmy Haynes, Danny Graves, John Riedling or anyone else (17 of em total) that started a game in 2003

One could go on...

Highlifeman21
06-20-2006, 08:49 AM
The players make the manager/coach most of the time. I don't expect him back next season unless the Reds make the playoffs.

I'm not a Narron supporter, but he hasn't done a horrible job considering the dreck that is the Reds pitching staff. I'm in favor of better players, no matter who the manager is.

Very well said.

While I'd love to see the Reds make the playoffs this year, I believe that them actually missing post season play would benefit them in the long run b/c then RCast and WK can go get the guy they want, if he's available. The Reds missing the playoffs should end the Narron era, and I can't say that I'll be too upset about that.

I think RCast and WK do need to make this team their own. Inheriting Jerry Narron has done nothing but prevent that process from happening.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see some eyebrow raising trades near the deadline or during winter meetings and the offseason. I'd rather see this organization pick a direction and go with it than sit wallowing in the status quo.

WMR
06-20-2006, 09:59 AM
I think Narron could still be fired even if we won the WC and lost in the 1st round.

Narron is tolerable, especially when compared to what we had before, but I want some Sweet Lou and I think Bob Cast does too. Hey that rhymes.

dabvu2498
06-20-2006, 10:02 AM
I think Narron could still be fired even if we won the WC and lost in the 1st round.

Narron is tolerable, especially when compared to what we had before, but I want some Sweet Lou and I think Bob Cast does too. Hey that rhymes.
If this team makes the playoffs, Narron's manager of the year in the NL. No way they'd fire him.

reds44
06-20-2006, 10:49 AM

No.

He would be the NL Manager of the year, and he should be given an extension if we make the playoffs.

Heath
06-20-2006, 10:53 AM
[CONSPIRACY THEORY] Reds exit playoff chase around July 4th - play steady ball the rest of the year - let go Narron - hire Sweet Lou [/CONSPIRACY THEORY]

WMR
06-20-2006, 11:23 AM
How else am I supposed to root for the Reds to make the playoffs and Sweet Lou as manager next year at the same time?!?! ;)

If Cast can get Sweet Lou, I don't see a WC appearance stopping him from doing so.

dfs
06-20-2006, 11:25 AM
nd how bad their teams were.

One can not deny that we have had better production from better players, ie:

Brandon Phillips vs. D'Angelo Jimenez (2004)

Kearns now vs. Kearns (2004)

What Ross has given so far vs. LaRue (.765 OPS in 2004)

hmmm. Brandon Phillips was a highly thought of prospect brought in and given the second base job after a failure with another organization, While D'Angelo Jimenez was a highly thought of prospect brought in and given the second base job after failing with a couple other organizations. The big difference I see is that Phillips has played reasonably well and hasn't pissed off his teammates and D'Angelo pissed people off so much that the coaching staff didn't want him back and the GM resigned him anyway because he was cheap.

The difference between Kearns now and Kearns then is a catcher hasn't sat on him recently.

I won't say anything about the difference between Ross and LaRue.

Miley's problem was that he felt he was working for Dan O'Brien instead of trying to be responsible for winning major league ballgames. That was neither man's creation but can be layed squarely in the lap of our former owner.

I don't much care to listen to Narron, but the man has won ballgames with a team that was on life support.

Oh, yeah. About the "set lineup" complaint. That has been true with the reds since the days of Davey Johnson. I don't think it's a Narron thing. I think it's true of MOST teams these days and has to do with roster construction and style as much as any individual managers preference. FWIW the year the Red Sox won the series, they led the league in different lineups, so you can be successfull that way.

dabvu2498
06-20-2006, 11:25 AM
How else am I supposed to root for the Reds to make the playoffs and Sweet Lou as manager next year at the same time?!?! ;)

If Cast can get Sweet Lou, I don't see a WC appearance stopping him from doing so.
If they make the playoffs, you'd be able to elect Narron mayor of this town, i.e. unfireable.

Handofdeath
06-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Sweet Lou will eventually wind up managing this team unless Narron wins a playoff series this season. I don't think Narron is that bad of a manger. When he managed the Rangers for part of 2001 and 2002 the division was the toughest in baseball. In 2001 the Mariners and the A's both won over 100 games. In 2002 Oakland won 103 games, Seattle won 93, and the Angels won 99 and the World Series that year. That Narron was able to get over 70 wins both seasons with that pitching staff (and I use those words loosely) and in that kind of division is a testament to his ability.

Matt700wlw
06-20-2006, 02:33 PM

Unless Castellini is picky....WS or bust!

Sweet Lou! :D

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Considering how weak the NL is I want to reach the series before I give Narron another contract ;)

fielder's choice
06-21-2006, 09:20 AM
I don't care what his record is, anyone that pays attention to his lineups and in-game moves knows he is not a good manager. McCracken always pinch hits 1st, unless Aurilia isnt playing then its always him, even against rightys, which is pretty much an automatic out. Perfect example, last night, runners on 1st and 3rd with one out, he sends up Aurilia instead of Ross. :bang: Not to mention still running Weathers out there constantly, despite the fact his arm is about to fall off.

tripleaaaron
06-21-2006, 01:04 PM
even if his arm does fall off, he is still one of our better relievers, thats how bad our bullpen is.

fielder's choice
06-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Not lately. He's been just as bad as anyone.