PDA

View Full Version : El Duque???

WVRedsFan
06-20-2006, 02:20 AM
Never in the history of a game has a nickname been so over used. Hernandez even gets the nickname used in sports reports. Does anyone know where this came from and why?

I think we should give the Reds some nicknames. We could call Milton "El Gopherbaile" and Lopez "El Receptor" or something like that.

Think it would catch on like El Duque???

redsmetz
06-20-2006, 05:25 AM
Why hang a name on Milton that reflects his miserable year last season when he's markedly improved. For that matter, why use "El" anything on an Anglo player.

oneupper
06-20-2006, 06:25 AM
EL KABONG!

http://blender.sixmonkeys.geek.nz/albums/Kha/Kha_El_Kabong.jpg

Jpup
06-20-2006, 06:35 AM
say what you want about Hernandez, but he's a very good pitcher. He can get it done. He stunk in Arizona, but since coming to New York, he has been brilliant.

You may thank the New York media including Michael Kay and also ESPN for "El Duque" being so popular. I don't mind it.

oneupper
06-20-2006, 06:46 AM
Never in the history of a game has a nickname been so over used. Hernandez even gets the nickname used in sports reports. Does anyone know where this came from and why?

I think we should give the Reds some nicknames. We could call Milton "El Gopherbaile" and Lopez "El Receptor" or something like that.

Think it would catch on like El Duque???

IIRC "El Duque" was "El Duque" in Cuba, WAY before he came to US.

He had to leave a lot behind, but Castro couldn't prohibit him from taking his nickname with him.

Jpup
06-20-2006, 06:48 AM

He had to leave a lot behind, but Castro couldn't prohibit him from taking his nickname with him.

I think he is wondering why it's so "popular." My answer is ESPN.

oneupper
06-20-2006, 08:12 AM
I think he is wondering why it's so "popular." My answer is ESPN.

Nah...Hernandez is a very common name, same as Rodriguez, Ramirez, etc...
For the casual fan, Orlando Hernandez could be confused with a number of people.

Say "El Duque" and most everyone knows who it is.

NJReds
06-20-2006, 09:17 AM

He was "El Duque" before he left Cuba. I remember when he first arrived in NY. I forgot why he got the nickname "The Duke" but it was definitely given to him when he was a member of Team Cuba.

RedsManRick
06-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Pudge has to run a close second.

Marc D
06-20-2006, 02:58 PM
He stunk in Arizona, but since coming to New York, he has been brilliant.

You just used a Grandisim. Seek help immediately.;)

TOBTTReds
06-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Nah...Hernandez is a very common name, same as Rodriguez, Ramirez, etc...
For the casual fan, Orlando Hernandez could be confused with a number of people.

Say "El Duque" and most everyone knows who it is.

I agree 100%. I get a lot of the Latin players mixed up for a second when talking about Francisco Rodriguez, Francisco Cordero, Orlando Hernandez, Livan Hernandez, Alex Gonzalez, Lois Gonzalez, Alex Rodriguez, Ramon Ramirez, Ramon Ortiz, and Russ Ortiz.

I'm pretty sure about all of those players images go through my head before I distinguish which one is actually being talked about.

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 04:32 PM
He was "El Duque" before he left Cuba. I remember when he first arrived in NY. I forgot why he got the nickname "The Duke" but it was definitely given to him when he was a member of Team Cuba.
So..blame the Commies? ;)

vaticanplum
06-20-2006, 05:19 PM
So..blame the Commies? ;)

Always.

oneupper
06-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Since I was curious, I looked it up on the web and it seems that ''El Duque" (meaning the Duke) inherited his nickname from his father, who also played ball and was called that.

It is not certain how "El Duque" Sr. got the name but its seems that it could have been a reference to how polite he was OR some kind of similarity with Duke Snider.

backbencher
06-20-2006, 07:09 PM
I get a lot of the Latin players mixed up for a second when talking about . . . Alex Gonzalez . . . .

I'm pretty sure about all of those players images go through my head before I distinguish which one is actually being talked about.

I've still never figured that one out. Couldn't one of those guys played 2B or something?

harangatang
06-20-2006, 10:22 PM
I guess it's a better nickname than the "Big Donkey"

Tony Cloninger
06-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Yes....Pudge ...great nickname... too bad the lazy idiots of ESPN or anywhere else seem to forget that PUDGE was the nickname of Carlton Fisk.

That was his nickname.

I mean....why don't we call Pujols the Cardnail Clipper?

Maybe we can call Rich Aurilia the Splendid Splinter.

I mean....i know most people hate studying history of any kind....to the point that anyone can take credit for a quote or something that they did, when they did not say it or do it. I have read about 10 different ways Led Zeppelin was given their name.....from Keith Moon to Steve Allen. But you are talking about people in the sports reporting bussiness....who cannot even be bothered to look up anything that did not happen last week.

Maybe we can start calling david Weathers "The Rocket"

oneupper
06-20-2006, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=Tony Cloninger]Yes....Pudge ...great nickname... too bad the lazy idiots of ESPN or anywhere else seem to forget that PUDGE was the nickname of Carlton Fisk.
[\QUOTE]

Fred "Pudge" Haney (1922-1929) Mgr
Sid "Pudge"' Gautreaux (1936-1937)

According to Baseball Reference

Let's hope they don't start trademarking these things.

gonelong
06-20-2006, 11:19 PM
Doc, Red, Whitey, Rabbit, and Lefty say :wave:

GL

Tony Cloninger
06-20-2006, 11:20 PM
You ever hear them call Richard Hidalgo...."Doggie"??

Milo Hamilton and several non-Astro announcers did..... that was always refreshing to hear as a Reds fan.

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Always.
What revolution is expected anyway? I mean I hope I'm hoarding all these lemons for a reason ;)

TOBTTReds
06-21-2006, 12:36 AM
I've still never figured that one out. Couldn't one of those guys played 2B or something?

The one that just retired from the Phillies was a shortstop coming up through the Blue Jays system about 10 years ago. You might have seen him more recently at 1B with the Phillies when they played here last month. The other one still plays and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Johnny Footstool
06-21-2006, 01:05 AM
Dude...Oil Can.

http://www.redsoxconnection.com/images/boyd.jpg