PDA

View Full Version : "It's like he's inventing pitches"

redsmetz
06-20-2006, 08:34 AM
From today's New York Times:

Arroyo Leaves the Mets Flailing

By BEN SHPIGEL
Published: June 20, 2006
Whenever Orlando Hernández pitches, Manager Willie Randolph is inevitably asked to compare him with another pitcher. Perhaps out of deference, Randolph only shakes his head or rolls his eyes; there is only one El Duque.

The Mets' Orlando Hernández chasing Brandon Phillips near home as the Reds' suicide squeeze in the second unraveled into an inning-ending double play. Hernández had seven strikeouts in seven innings in the loss.

And yet last night, after Hernández would finish an inning, it seemed as if he went right back out to pitch to his teammates. Cincinnati starter Bronson Arroyo, another off-speed artist with an exaggerated leg kick, pitched like vintage Hernández, changing his rhythms, varying his arm angles and mixing his pitches to stymie the Mets in the Reds' 4-2 victory at Shea Stadium.

Arroyo pitched a complete game, allowing runs in the first and ninth innings and befuddling the Mets in between. Ken Griffey Jr. hit a go-ahead home run against Hernández in the sixth, and the Reds added two runs in the eighth on a double by Brandon Phillips against Chad Bradford to send a restless crowd of 41,874 home unfulfilled.

Carlos Beltrán drove in the Mets' runs, and his leadoff home run in the ninth snapped an 0-for-15 skid. José Reyes and José Valentín each had two hits, but the middle of the order — Beltrán, Carlos Delgado and David Wright — combined to go 2 for 12 with three strikeouts.

Wright said of Arroyo, "It's almost like he's out there inventing pitches."

Arroyo, who threw 116 pitches, got Xavier Nady to ground out with Wright on first base to end the game. Nady, who had not played since May 29 because of an appendectomy, went 0 for 4 and picked a bad night to try to regain his timing.

Arroyo, plucked from the Boston Red Sox in one of Wayne Krivsky's first deals as the new general manager, worked the corners with precision and, unlike many pitchers, threw his curveball early in counts to establish his fastball. He brushed back hitters to set up outside sliders and threw off the plate before firing a 90-mile-an-hour fastball on the inside edge. The Mets lunged and flailed as if they had never seen Arroyo before. But, in a way, they had.

"Yeah, Millar used to call me the poor man's El Duque," Arroyo said of Kevin Millar, his former Boston teammate. "We throw a lot of breaking balls, we change speeds, change angles. We're very similar."

Sort of. Arroyo is a gangly, laid-back guitar strummer from Key West, Fla. Hernández is a strapping, intense Cuban. But they share craftiness, guile and a gift for frustrating hitters, and their paths crossed on a bizarre play in the second inning.

After David Ross singled to drive in Austin Kearns for the tying run and place runners on first and third, Arroyo attempted a suicide squeeze. He popped up his bunt, and Hernández charged to make a diving catch. Phillips, the runner on third, was a few feet from home. When he turned back toward third, he saw Hernández blocking his path. Arms folded across his chest, Hernández tiptoed toward Phillips, who backpedaled.

After pointing to first base to try to divert Hernández, Phillips tried running around the home-plate umpire, Dan Iassogna, but he was called out for running out of the baseline. Hernández tossed the ball underhand to Phillips, who threw it over the Reds' dugout. "I thought it was funny," Phillips said.

Hernández permitted two runs and eight hits and struck out seven in seven innings, throwing 119 pitches. But he had only one 1-2-3 inning, the fifth. Otherwise, Hernández appeared to be continuously pitching from the stretch. He allowed two base runners in three innings, and the Reds took advantage of his deliberate motion to steal twice in the first two innings.

Still, aside from a second-inning run, Hernández kept the Reds off the scoreboard with an assortment of late-breaking pitches. That is, until Griffey led off the sixth with the score tied at 1-1. Hernández had struck out Griffey his first two at-bats on fastballs. Griffey displayed more patience this time, working a 2-2 count. Hernández tried throwing an outside fastball that caught too much of the plate, and Griffey blasted it an estimated 440 feet to right-center field. It was Griffey's 548th home run, tying him with Mike Schmidt for 11th on the career list.

Given the lead, Arroyo went to work. He plowed through the Mets in the sixth, seventh and eighth innings on 30 pitches. Then, after giving up a leadoff home run to Beltrán in the ninth, Arroyo struck out Delgado swinging, then allowed a single to Wright. But he got Valentín to fly out and Nady to hit into a game-ending fielder's choice, sending the Mets to their third loss in four games.

After digesting the night's events, Wright was asked a familiar question: Who does Arroyo remind you of?

"He's like Liván Hernández," Wright said.

No surprise there. Liván Hernández is Orlando Hernández's half brother. Must run in the family.

dabvu2498
06-20-2006, 08:43 AM
I thought the exact same thing last night... even with their funky deliveries. I knew someone would write this story today.

smith288
06-20-2006, 08:45 AM
That Phillips play was hillarious. Good natured fun that is rarely seen between two teams.

Jpup
06-20-2006, 08:48 AM
I thought the exact same thing last night... even with their funky deliveries. I knew someone would write this story today.

You should have watched the New York telecast. That is all they talked about. btw, Cohen and Hernandez make me feel a little better about Grande and Welsh. They are horrible.

They went on and on about Brandon Phillips and let it be known that plays like that were the reason the Indians were tired of his act.

Roy Tucker
06-20-2006, 08:52 AM
That Phillips play is something I pull on my kids when we play pickle in the middle, i.e. "look!!! over there!!! a blue moose!!". It works once.

BuckWoody
06-20-2006, 08:58 AM
You should have watched the New York telecast. That is all they talked about. btw, Cohen and Hernandez make me feel a little better about Grande and Welsh. They are horrible.

They went on and on about Brandon Phillips and let it be known that plays like that were the reason the Indians were tired of his act.
What else did the Mets broadcasters think was Brandon supposed to do there? Why not have a little grin in a hopeless situation? He is quickly ascending the chart as one of my favorite players. Aside from his skills in the field and at the plate, he seemingly always has a broad grin and has fun playing the game. Remind you of anyone else in their youth? ;)

Jpup
06-20-2006, 08:59 AM
What else did the Mets broadcasters think was Brandon supposed to do there? Why not have a little grin in a hopeless situation? He is quickly ascending the chart as one of my favorite players. Aside from his skills in the field and at the plate, he seemingly always has a broad grin and has fun playing the game. Remind you of anyone else in their youth? ;)

I think they thought that he should have let Duque tag him out easily. I thought it was funny.:D

SirFelixCat
06-20-2006, 09:02 AM

I agree 100%. And he almost was able to "deke" Hernandez and run back towards 3rd.

I really like his personality and how much he has fun...so nice to see. It does help that he's producing like he is, but I digress...:evil:

cumberlandreds
06-20-2006, 09:04 AM

Yes, we should be thankful for Grande and Welsh. The Mets announcers made Phillips out to be a bad guy all night. They were disgusting! All they could talk about was the bad attitude and reputation Phillips had at Cleveland. I guess they just wanted Phillips to meekly let Hernandez tag him out. They also slammed him for cheating towards 1st base on an obvious bunt play. They actually called him "lazy" for doing that. I would much rather listen to Grande and Welsh than these two bozo's (Cohen and Keith Hernandez) on SNY.

redsmetz
06-20-2006, 09:05 AM
I liked the start of the Newsday story too.

]El Duque meets his match[/B]
Arroyo wins battle of unorthodox pitchers with complete game

BY BOB HERZOG
Newsday Staff Writer

June 20, 2006

El Duque was a partial success. That wasn't enough last night because Cincinnati's Bronson Arroyo was a complete success.

"That's the story right there," Willie Randolph said. "He was outstanding. Real tough. He changes speeds and uses his curveball to set up his fastball. He pitches backwards."

NJReds
06-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Keith Hernandez is awful. And Tom Seaver (when he does games) can be okay, but he gets ponderous at times.

Hernandez was killing Hatteburg for getting hit on the elbow (not moving out of the way) in the 8th. He said something to the effect of this "new thing players are doing." Then two minutes later he tells a story about how some guy did it when Drysdale was pitching.

Jpup
06-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Keith Hernandez is awful. And Tom Seaver (when he does games) can be okay, but he gets ponderous at times.

Hernandez was killing Hatteburg for getting hit on the elbow (not moving out of the way) in the 8th. He said something to the effect of this "new thing players are doing." Then two minutes later he tells a story about how some guy did it when Drysdale was pitching.

yeah, I heard that. Last night was the first time I have listened to him for a whole game and will probably be the last.

Cohen said that Jr. and Phillips were the only two "plus defenders" the Reds had. I guess Kearns stinks.;)

dabvu2498
06-20-2006, 09:13 AM

At least the Reds didn't have girls in their dugout.

StillFunkyB
06-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Note to George Grande, Arroyo is CRAFTY! You know his story....

Heath
06-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Gerry Cohen is the New York answer to Marty Brennaman. He's been there tremendously long.

What blows me away is that, IMO, the best announcers are from smaller markets. It seems the "big city" announcers are bored to tears with their job. Here's a chance to reach more people about your sport, and you run out Gerry Cohen and Keith Hernandez. Last year they even ran out Fran Healy, who is better than Hernandez and then they had Ted Robinson who is heads and tails above Gerry Cohen.

Mets might as well dig up Ralph Kiner and run him again,

Heath
06-20-2006, 09:18 AM

I would take Ted Robinson and Tom Seaver over George Grande and Chris Welsh everytime. Seaver can wisp eloquently of all his Don Werner stories.

Heath
06-20-2006, 09:21 AM
-deleted due to operator error-

BuckWoody
06-20-2006, 09:27 AM
At least the Reds didn't have girls in their dugout.
:laugh:

westofyou
06-20-2006, 09:34 AM
I would take Ted Robinson and Tom Seaver over George Grande and Chris Welsh everytime. Seaver can wisp eloquently of all his Don Werner stories.
Ted Robinson used to be the Giants announcer, he's good.

And he almost was able to "deke" Hernandez and run back towards 3rd.The "problem"as he used the ump for a pick, that's what made it "questionable" in the eyes of teh Mets anouncers ... who were painful, yet didn't scream with glee when the Reds scored like a certain Reds announcer would when the Mets scored.

redsmetz
06-20-2006, 10:21 AM

And the 32 times Keith got plunked never had him leaning into one? I don't know a ballplayer around who hasn't leaned into one sometime or another.

registerthis
06-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Last year they even ran out Fran Healy,

I didn't realize he had quit Travis.

Bah-dum-bing

Blimpie
06-20-2006, 01:17 PM
That Phillips play was hillarious. Good natured fun that is rarely seen between two teams.I enjoyed that as well. However, I think that Phillips was having far more fun with it than was El Duque.

Matt700wlw
06-20-2006, 03:36 PM

I thought it was funny.

Instead of just giving in, he made El Duque "earn" the out.

Falls City Beer
06-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Cohen and Hernandez are a nightmare; really and truly. It's like having your brain receive a kick in the nuts. My brother-in-law is a Mets' fan and whenever we go to his place we have to endure those two.

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 04:22 PM
I enjoyed that as well. However, I think that Phillips was having far more fun with it than was El Duque.
Then it sucks to be him :evil:

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 04:22 PM
-deleted due to operator error-
Does this happen automatically? ;)

reds44
06-20-2006, 04:30 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Here is another great quote from last night. This one is from Brandon Phillips

He was nasty then and he's still nasty now," said Phillips. "To tell you the truth, especially on a pitcher like that, I was just trying to hit the ball. I was going to do some Ichiro stuff. I just wanted to hit it, make contact, and try to beat the throw to first. Honestly, I'm being for real. I was thankful that he left the ball up higher than what I expected and I tried to shoot the ball to right field."