PDA

View Full Version : MLB Blackouts

cumberlandreds
06-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Here is a good article on the MLB blackouts. MLB has some of the most useless and out of date blackout rules. I agree with the writer that it is most likely costing them fans. Be thankful you don't live in Iowa or you are blacked out of half of MLB games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AnW_j8JxaR9rY2cHchw8h4k5nYcB?slug=jp-blackouts061906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

flyer85
06-20-2006, 03:55 PM
MLB certainly doesn't seem to care.

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 05:24 PM
MLB certainly doesn't seem to care.
Nope, this has been a problem for years, MLB is afraid to raise the issue with the owners and since the commish is a puppet for the owners it'll never be dealt with.

Redsland
06-20-2006, 05:56 PM
The commish is a puppet?!

Which one?

http://www.crazysquirrel.com/images/humour/muppet-1.jpg

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Ernie.

Unassisted
06-20-2006, 06:09 PM
I feel for the guy in Iowa, but that article makes me glad to have an MLB.TV subcription and live 1200 miles from my favorite team.

It's not in MLB's financial interest to change these rules until the revenue from direct subscriptions approaches the amounts that the networks are paying for cable and broadcast rights. I don't see that happening for at least a decade.

membengal
06-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Nope, this has been a problem for years, MLB is afraid to raise the issue with the owners and since the commish is a puppet for the owners it'll never be dealt with.

Which would be fine, if only the blackouts actually meant anything. But the abject absurdness of them only serves to make rational explanations flee like frightened forest creatures before a bulldozer...

MaineRed
06-20-2006, 06:23 PM
The blackout rules force me and countless others to watch less major league baseball than we would otherwise.

Speaking of this, why oh why are the Reds starting games at six on Saturdays? This makes games unavailable on TV. If they started at 7 the game would be on TV.

Thankfully they got rid of that stupid Wednesday blackout rule a few years back. What a nightmare that was. You'd order the baseball package, not get games on Wed or Sat, the Reds would have an off day one other day that week and then of course not every game was televised. At times you were lucky to get two games a week. Things are better but still a long ways to go.

ThatsAStrike
06-20-2006, 07:12 PM
I feel for the guy in Iowa, but that article makes me glad to have an MLB.TV subcription and live 1200 miles from my favorite team.Hey you're right down the road from me. I hate it when the Reds play in Houston. Those games are usually (always?) blacked out.

Unassisted
06-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Hey you're right down the road from me. I hate it when the Reds play in Houston. Those games are usually (always?) blacked out.I have that issue, too. I have cable with Fox Sports Net, so I can watch them on TV, just like MLB intended. It's about the only time I watch FSN. Either that or I catch those games on the radio, which is a nice bit of luxury.