PDA

View Full Version : Broadcasters blast B.P.

RadfordVA
06-20-2006, 03:04 PM
I watch all the reds games on mlb.tv due to not being in the area. So about half the time I am subject to the other teams announcers. As was the case last night during the mets games. On the play when Brandon was heading caught out to dry after the squeeze was popped up Orlando Hernandez was trying to tag him. B.P. wouldnt let him and tried to run around him. He was tagged out. Obviously Phillips would rather the pitcher throw to third then just let him tag him. Well the Mets broadcasters laid into him for it and call it clownery and said that is the reason he wore out his welcome in Cleveland. I'm use to announcers being homers but I thought this was uncalled for. To question someones character for doing what he should do. Anyone else see this? Or does anyone agree with them that he was wrong in doing this?

Patrick Bateman
06-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Those guys need to lighten up. I thought it was funny.

membengal
06-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Keith Hernandez may have been drinking again, hard to know. Mostly they were grumpy about the Reds handing the Mets another defeat, and were grumpy all night, as near as I could tell.

They need to lighten up.

NJReds
06-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Keith Hernandez is an idiot. He's one of those "prima donna" ex-players that stand high and mighty over the so-called "players of today." El Duque could've just tagged BP instead of standing there. It was nothing, but it opened the door for Keith to bash a young guy.

If Phillips was a Met, he'd have nothing but praise for him -- that's the hypocracy that comes with these "team owned" cable channels. I think sometimes the announcers get so frustrated with having to softball the home team that they take extra pot shots at the visitors.

dabvu2498
06-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Keith Hernandez is an idiot. He's one of those "prima donna" ex-players that stand high and mighty over the so-called "players of today." El Duque could've just tagged BP instead of standing there. It was nothing, but it opened the door for Keith to bash a young guy.

If Phillips was a Met, he'd have nothing but praise for him -- that's the hypocracy that comes with these "team owned" cable channels. I think sometimes the announcers get so frustrated with having to softball the home team that they take extra pot shots at the visitors.
And he doesn't like girls in the dugout. Maybe all the Just for Men has gone to his brain.

redsfan30
06-20-2006, 03:18 PM

Exactly. Where was the criticism when El Dueque just stood there and folded his arms? That was ok, but Phillips trying to run around him was clownery.

Keith Hernandez=:bang:

redsfanfalcon
06-20-2006, 03:22 PM
With Bob Castellini at the game, I often wondered what he thought of that.

Phhhl
06-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Bandon Phillips was in no-man's land. But, you're not supposed to let yourself get tagged out. The idea is to force the other team to make a throw. It was an odd looking play, but I don't think it was "clownery". I just think neither Phillips nor Hernandez knew quite what to do. Hernandez should have either run up to Phillips and tagged him, or run to third base and tag it. He did neither, so he kind of looked like the clown for just standing there as if expecting our man to run up to him and tag himself out.

If Phillips were truly a head case, he would have gone ballistic on El Duque when the pitcher tossed the ball at him after the play was over. That was rather clown-ish as well.

reds44
06-20-2006, 03:26 PM
I liked what BP did. Don't let them just have an out. El Duque could have easily just turned and threw it to first, but for some reason he had to tag BP. Then after he tagged BP he threw the ball at BP. IMO, what El Duque did was more clowny then BP.

As for Keith Hernandez, he also said we have a "no-name infield". I could care less what that guy says.

OnBaseMachine
06-20-2006, 03:27 PM
When I saw the highlights of the game this morning, it appeared that Phillips and El Duque made eye contact and just sort of laughed. No big deal. Hernandez blew it out of proportion.

pedro
06-20-2006, 03:27 PM
He didn;t really ket up about it for a couple of innings either.

TOBTTReds
06-20-2006, 03:29 PM
I think it was a bit of clownery, bc at the end he pointed out to second saying something like "hey look" el duque turned and BP used the ump as a pick and tried to make it to 3rd.

I loved it! It is his ability to have fun during the game that makes him a joy to watch. No one else smiles as much as him, and you can tell he loves to play the game. If he was slacking while 'joking' around, then there would be problems, but he obviously is a high effort guy.

He is a 180 from D'Lo, and thank god for that.

Blimpie
06-20-2006, 03:29 PM
What was Phillips supposed to do...just waltz over and throw himself on El Duque's glove?

Just like when a runner is caught in a rundown, his job is to delay making the out for as long as possible (and hopefully force the throw). Many times, the other runners are able to advance an extra base or even score a run while the "dead runner" is delaying the inevitable.

What if El Duque decided he had enough with Phillips and was going to make the throw to 3rd base to complete the double play....but then he throws in into left? With Phillips' speed, he at least makes it back to 3rd and breaks up the double play.

I'll bet Hernandez is the kinda guy who would ask you to help him move his furniture the day after he met you...

RedsManRick
06-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Since when is the runner obligated to concede an out? I'm not big on Phillips point and running around the ump, but El Duque just standing there holding his glove out was even stupider. Why in the world should BP just run in to the tag? Go tag him you lazy bum!

Brian
06-20-2006, 03:32 PM
That's complete idiocy to rip BP for that play. If they were paying attention they would have noticed that it was Hernandez who actually made no effort to tag BP. WTF do the announcers want BP to do? Run back up the line so he can be tagged out? What a bunch of jokers.

Heath
06-20-2006, 03:33 PM
I thought that this was a pot shot at people who blast Baseball Prospectus, and I figured that was status quo, especially in light of Joe Morgan's distaste of statistics.

reds44
06-20-2006, 03:33 PM
When I saw the highlights of the game this morning, it appeared that Phillips and El Duque made eye contact and just sort of laughed. No big deal. Hernandez blew it out of proportion.
Hernadez threw the ball (well more tossed it to BP), then Phillips just threw it in the air. It didn't seem too friendly to me.

IowaRed
06-20-2006, 03:39 PM
I didn't see the Phillips incident but Hernandez made some comments about Hatteberg getting an HBP later in the game. He said something about hating how the modern-day player will stick his arm out to try to get hit. While that may be true in Brady Clark's case, it certainly wasn't in Hattebergs. He also said that Hatteberg made absolutely no effort to get out of the way. I watched that probably 5 times looking for anything that Hatteberg might have done to make Hernandez say that. While he didn't jump out of the way, Hatteberg did pull his arm in and turned away. I'm guessing if it would have been Delgado there wouldn't have been any mention of the modern day ballplayer. My wife even said "what's he talking about?" I responded with a drug relapse comment that probably wasn't appropriate either

HBP
06-20-2006, 03:39 PM
I'll bet Hernandez is the kinda guy who would ask you to help him move his furniture the day after he met you...

:D
At least he's not the type of guy that would spit on you if you called him a pretty boy

jimbo
06-20-2006, 03:57 PM

Phillips was laughing but El Duque was not.

Why didn't El Duque just walk back to third and touch the base? He was being as stubborn as Phillips was. I personally didn't think it was a big deal and would feel the same if the situation was reversed. We'll find out soon enough if the Mets had a problem with it.

icehole3
06-20-2006, 04:20 PM
El Duque was not happy, I agree he's nuts if he thinks Phillips is going just run into his arms. Go tag him. The Ump gave the youre out of the baseline out call anyway. I didnt understand El Duque getting uset. Phillips seems to be having a blast. He gave Lopez a jumping high five after the game and I was wondering who that was that did that with Phillips. I thought it was Jr at first. I love to see the emotion, thats why I think if they can just straighten out the bull pen they have a legit shot at the wildcard.

OldXOhio
06-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Clownery as in a player who high fives the crowd after hitting a game tying homer in the 9th? What was Keith's position on that one?

gilpdawg
06-20-2006, 04:43 PM
I went for a drive last night during the middle innings, and although I can get WLW loud and clear, sometimes I like to hear the other team's radio crew. The Mets radio guys were bashing Griffey, saying he didn't seem to love the game anymore like he did when he was young. Well, gee, morons, don't you think multiple surgerys and rehabs might have something to do with it. When he's healthy, you still see the old smiling Griffey, but they didn't mention that.

MaineRed
06-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Gee, Griffey doesn't act like a kid anymore, now that he is not a kid? What an outrage, maybe he should just retire.

I too caught the garbage about Hatteberg and the modern player comment. I went balistic and was telling my wife that if a Met player was the one who got hit it would have been ten minutes of how tough this Met team is and how guys are willing to give up their bodies to get on base. As the other poster said, there would of been no mention of the modern player had that been Delgado.

That is one reason I like Chris Welsch. He doesn't come out with venom whenever a guy gets on base like so many of these other guys do. Hernandez is so unproffesional. But I think I like him more than Fran Healey. Now that guy was tough to listen to.

Edskin
06-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Iowa brought up the real idiocy last night. Hernandez ripped into Hatte for "leaning" in the pitch. He inferred that it was "sissy modern day" baseball. Some of the ex-players are good analysts, but I hate the unwritten rule that a former player/coach must be the analyst. A guy like Hernandez brings NOTHING to the booth except tired old stories about the 86 Mets.

Brandon4MVP
06-20-2006, 05:46 PM
I asked brandon about it today, he said that it was all fun and games to him until hernandez threw the ball at him. He was kind of mad but just turned it into a joke because he didnt want to do anything stupid.

reds44
06-20-2006, 05:48 PM
I asked brandon about it today, he said that it was all fun and games to him until hernandez threw the ball at him. He was kind of mad but just turned it into a joke because he didnt want to do anything stupid.
Thanks, always good to have family on the board.
:beerme:

I am glad BP didn't blow it up and kept his cool.

reds44
06-20-2006, 05:55 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060620/capt.6423a0495a274617937053aeaafd7b3c.reds_mets_ba seball_nys104.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060620/capt.938421e903fe4ff3974d3a5a6e95e19f.reds_mets_ba seball_nys105.jpg

Maldez
06-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Keith Hernandez was also whining about the ball Hatteberg took on the arm late in yesterday's game. Herndandez got all pissy about Hatteberg making no attempt to get out of the way of the ball. "No excuse for him pullin' that stuff".

Hernandez is actually one of those announcers that's so bad he becomes entertaining to listen to. His idiotic comments add color to the broadcast.

Heath
06-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Keith Hernandez was also whining about the ball Hatteberg took on the arm late in yesterday's game. Herndandez got all pissy about Hatteberg making no attempt to get out of the way of the ball. "No excuse for him pullin' that stuff".

Hernandez is actually one of those announcers that's so bad he becomes entertaining to listen to. His idiotic comments add color to the broadcast.

Maybe he could go to the "Rick Sutcliffe School of Broadcasting" brought to you by Budweiser.

BigRed
06-20-2006, 07:20 PM
Keith Hernandez is an idiot. I couldn't stand him as a ball player and as an announcer he is worse. He should be doing a talk radio show instead of being a color analyst. That kind of talk doesn't belong in a broadcast. Clearly, El Duque was the one who should have been criticized. The proper play was to throw to 3rd or to close in and make the tag. Throwing the ball at him like that should be addressed by the club. Go Old School! Maybe one of the Mets players should get hit tonight.

TeamBoone
06-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Hatteberg did what I see players do all the time when they're pitched high and in; he merely turned his shoulder. They ALL do it, often. He did not lean into the ball... now, Brady Clark is a different story; he definitely leans into the ball.

I really really hate it when broadcasters badmouth guys on our team... especially because that's something, I must admit, that our announcers just don't do... ever. They may make a tactful comment in regard to a bad play, but I've never ever heard them say anything really derogatory about an opposing player. In fact, they freely praise players when they make a good play... almost to a fault.

redsrule2500
06-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Hmm wish I saw that.

saboforthird
06-20-2006, 07:33 PM
I think it was a bit of clownery, bc at the end he pointed out to second saying something like "hey look" el duque turned and BP used the ump as a pick and tried to make it to 3rd.

I loved it! It is his ability to have fun during the game that makes him a joy to watch. No one else smiles as much as him, and you can tell he loves to play the game. If he was slacking while 'joking' around, then there would be problems, but he obviously is a high effort guy.

He is a 180 from D'Lo, and thank god for that.

I'll second that. :thumbup:

RedsBaron
06-20-2006, 07:33 PM
I didn't like Hernandez as a ballplayer and I don't like him now--one of the biggest jerks ever.

TeamBoone
06-20-2006, 07:52 PM
I was also displeased with the "no-name infield" comment.

While it may be true, the Reds don't have the money the Mets do to sign only name players. It was a very arrogant and demeaning remark.

Their announcers are beginning to sound like the bullies of the playground... almost to the point where they're very near crossing the line into being flat out mean.

It's uncalled for, IMHO.

I'll be interested to hear reports from those who listen to/watch the Mets broadcast of tonight's game.

cincyinco
06-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Sorry, but Lopez is "a name" - he made the AS game last year, did he not?

One of the best offensive SS in the NL last year, was he not?

Big Klu
06-20-2006, 08:02 PM
I hate Keith Hernandez!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3a/Soup_nazi.jpg/180px-Soup_nazi.jpg

Unassisted
06-20-2006, 08:06 PM
I thought that this was a pot shot at people who blast Baseball Prospectus, and I figured that was status quo, especially in light of Joe Morgan's distaste of statistics.I was guessing that the broadcasters were somehow steamed about Batting Practice. Like maybe there should be fewer home runs and more bunting during BP. :laugh:

TeamBoone
06-20-2006, 08:32 PM

All Star or not, I highly doubt that he's a household name.

jimbo
06-20-2006, 09:08 PM

What he did last season has no relevance to whether or not he should be one this season. In my opinion, his play this season does not warrant a spot on the All-Star team.

saboforthird
06-20-2006, 09:14 PM
If Lopez makes the AS game this year, I will be sick to my stomach. Not that I don't enjoy seeing Reds players there, but he doesn't deserve a spot this year.

MaineRed
06-20-2006, 09:23 PM
I don't think Jose Reyes, good as he is, or David Wright are household names either but those Met announcers wouldn't take kindly to you calling them that.

TeamBoone
06-21-2006, 01:12 AM
I don't think Jose Reyes, good as he is, or David Wright are household names either but those Met announcers wouldn't take kindly to you calling them that.

You're right; they're not.

tripleaaaron
06-21-2006, 01:47 AM
And he doesn't like girls in the dugout. Maybe all the Just for Men has gone to his brain.

Or maybe that phrase is a pun for his sexuality, Cosmo Kramer was right to spit on him

cincinnati chili
06-21-2006, 01:52 AM
What Phillips did is great for the game.

Same with Milledge slapping high fives to the crowd.

Baseball needs a little more Bill Veeck, and a little bit less Paul Tagliabue.

Ron Madden
06-21-2006, 04:35 AM
Kieth Hernandez = Tracy Jones.

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 05:04 AM
Kieth Hernandez = Tracy Jones.
So Keith is what we could expect if Tracy ever got on TV or the booth?

Frighting :help:

zombie-a-go-go
06-21-2006, 09:16 AM
What Phillips did is great for the game.

Same with Milledge slapping high fives to the crowd.

Baseball needs a little more Bill Veeck, and a little bit less Paul Tagliabue.

I'll second that. I guess when there's as much money involved as there is in pro sports, the game becomes a business and you're not there to have fun, you're there to work.

NJReds
06-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Last night Cohen seemed to be going out of his way to praise BP.

I just blocked Hernandez out.

Edit: Actually there was a bit of Keith Hernandez wisdom that made me cringe. He was apparently still mad at Hatteburg. Because down 4-1 in the seventh, following Kearn's leadoff single, Hat stepped to the plate. He had a 2-1 count and took a high fastball for a strike.

Keith: What was he looking for there? I mean a 2-1 fastball over the middle?
Cohen: Didn't you read Moneyball, he takes a lot of pitches. He gets on base a lot via the walk.
Keith: (with disgust) How about a double into the gap to keep the rally going.

After Hatteburg walks
Cohen: He got his walk. Billy Beane said he'd take a team of 9 Hatteburgs.
Keith: (changes the subject) I remember spring training with Billy Beane...done a great job as GM in Oakland...blah, blah, blah.

membengal
06-21-2006, 04:37 PM
What is interesting is that Cohen has several times in the last two days referred to the Reds as a "money-ball type team"...