PDA

View Full Version : Jason Johnson DFA'd by Indians

schroomytunes
06-20-2006, 06:21 PM
He has always been an innings eater back of the rotation guy. Although his numbers look bad, some of them are actually not terrible at all. He's pitched 80 innings and given up 10 hr's thats not bad, also his GB/AO is 2-1. His salary is 3.5 million so he's owed @ 2million left this year. I wonder if by acquiring him, then we move Claussen to the pen, then drop Standridge is our bullpen stronger.

Indians trade:Jason Johnson and minor league arm or cash

Reds trade:Ryan Wagner

thoughts?

Doc. Scott
06-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Are you kidding? Wagner for Johnson? I'm exaggerating, but you never want to be on the wrong side of the Zambrano/Kazmir-style exchange.

edabbs44
06-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Are you kidding? Wagner for Johnson? I'm exaggerating, but you never want to be on the wrong side of the Zambrano/Kazmir-style exchange.
Especially since he has been DFAed.

reds44
06-20-2006, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't mind trading for Johnson. We need a 5 starter, and we robbed the Indians once already, so why not twice? :D

The Indians would need to take some of that salary though.

schroomytunes
06-20-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm sorry Doc. but Wagner is no Kazmir nor will he ever be. IMHO Wagner is another 1st round bust.

Johnny Footstool
06-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Did anyone bother to look up Jason Johnson's numbers for this season?

Ugly.

Patrick Bateman
06-20-2006, 06:48 PM
Jason Johnson is no stranger to the longball. Envision Ramon Ortiz when combined with GABP. I certainly wouldn't give up much of anything for him.

cincyinco
06-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Wagner is no Kazmir, but I dont think you trade him for a guy who's been DFA'd.. Wagner still has some upside.. with JJ you know what you're getting. We have leverage, I would use Wagner as a chip in a different trade.

Patrick Bateman
06-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Doc. did say he was exaggerating. The point is you don't give up a young guy with good upside for a guy with little trade value.

flyer85
06-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Johnson is a guy to stay away from.

I wonder if the Tribe gives the spot to Carmona or Sowers?

Rojo
06-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Wrong side of the rotation.

Heath
06-20-2006, 06:59 PM
I can't believe it took that long.

No, thanks, though, I'll pass.

Would not be surprised to see him end up in NY with the Mets or Yankees.

Wrong side of the rotation.

Also on the wrong side of 30.

Mario-Rijo
06-20-2006, 07:01 PM
At this point I would imagine the Tribe would settle for a Rick White for Jason Johnson deal! Why throw them someone who could actually improve down the road. However I would just wait to see if he get's let go and then make a play for him for the ML minimum if I (I meaning Krivsky) felt he could actually help. Just not sure that's the case.

Gallen5862
06-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Offer them White our dfa For their dfa Johnson. :)
I had tried to post this earlier but was bumped. I am glad someone else had same idea. :)

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Get him for free.

PuffyPig
06-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Johnson's DERA is below 5, so he's actually pitched a little better than his actual ERA. He may be worth a chance if we can get him for, basically, nothing.

Doc. Scott
06-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Get him for free.

Even then, I'm not sure if I'd take him over anyone on the staff beyond maybe Joe Mays. And at least Mays is more suitable for GABP, being a worm-killer. Johnson is a flyball guy, like Ramon Ortiz.

Ewww.

Danny Serafini
06-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Why is it that every time someone lousy gets the ol' DFA there's a thread clamoring for the Reds to go after him? Can we not have a little higher expectation for the team than to sift through everyone else's garbage? There's a reason teams dump these guys, it's because they just aren't very good.

Patrick Bateman
06-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Why is it that every time someone lousy gets the ol' DFA there's a thread clamoring for the Reds to go after him? Can we not have a little higher expectation for the team than to sift through everyone else's garbage? There's a reason teams dump these guys, it's because they just aren't very good.

I'm guessing you didn't want any part of Phillips or Ross then?

UKFlounder
06-20-2006, 07:58 PM

Because you hope for another Brandon Phillips like surprise, and, if you don't have to trade much or pay much salary, sometimes it's worth the gamble - low risk, perhaps some reward?

I think any team - but especially a "small market" team that does not have a strong minor league system - has to look at anybody who becomes available. You don't have to sign every one, but at least considering it may be worth the effort.

M2
06-20-2006, 08:10 PM
I am in SHOCK that Jason Johnson got issued his walking papers. Such a talent.

Actually I am still amazed DanO didn't sign the guy this winter.

Heath
06-20-2006, 09:05 PM

He "sweetened" the pot too much. Sent Johnson into shock I guess.

Redsland
06-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Why is it that every time someone lousy gets the ol' DFA there's a thread clamoring for the Reds to go after him? Can we not have a little higher expectation for the team than to sift through everyone else's garbage?
Would you rather have us sift through the Mexican League, Danny?

;)

Joseph
06-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Sowers is his replacement in the rotation.

Danny Serafini
06-21-2006, 12:34 AM
I'm guessing you didn't want any part of Phillips or Ross then?

Nope, thought Phillips was garbage and didn't see the point of three catchers. OK, I get one wrong once in a while. But it's worth noting that those are position players. Most of the calls for picking up DFAs are for pitchers, and they're just terrible pitchers at that. They're usually guys with ERAs north of 5, or more likely 6. How is that a help? I'd rather not keep recycling castoffs.

Danny Serafini
06-21-2006, 12:36 AM

;)

The Mexican League is where all the stars are at! That and Japan. :D

TOBTTReds
06-21-2006, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't touch Jason Johnson with a 10 foot pole. He was mediocre last year, and I'm surprised we didn't sign him, he has been AWFUL this year with a $3.something mil contract. Absolutely not a good move by the Indians. He is a Paul Wilson type.

Patrick Bateman
06-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Nope, thought Phillips was garbage and didn't see the point of three catchers. OK, I get one wrong once in a while. But it's worth noting that those are position players. Most of the calls for picking up DFAs are for pitchers, and they're just terrible pitchers at that. They're usually guys with ERAs north of 5, or more likely 6. How is that a help? I'd rather not keep recycling castoffs.

The point is that you can find some gems even in other teams crap bins. It never hurts to look, just be smart about it. Getting Johnson would likely be a poor choice. He's had years of poor pitching.

You can find some good pitchers in the garbage dump too. Bobby Jenks, Derrick Turnbow are good examples. Pete Schorek was picked up by the Reds and almost won a Cy Young for us. Bronson Arroyo was claimed by Boston and that panned out okay. Doug Davis was also claimed on waivers (however by the Jays not the Brewers).

Pitchers improve. Teams like the Reds need to look under every rock for pitchers. You may just find a hidden gem. It never hurts to look.

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Even then, I'm not sure if I'd take him over anyone on the staff beyond maybe Joe Mays. And at least Mays is more suitable for GABP, being a worm-killer. Johnson is a flyball guy, like Ramon Ortiz.

Ewww.
Could he be worse then Burns/Weathers ? ;)

Bill
06-21-2006, 02:40 AM
Sowers to debut against Reds.

Tribe drops Johnson from roster
By Paul Hoynes
Plain Dealer Reporter

Right-hander Jason Johnson was designated for assignment Tuesday afternoon in a flurry of roster moves by the Indians that will lead to left-hander Jeremy Sowers making his big-league debut Sunday against the Reds at Jacobs Field. Johnson, who gave up six runs to the Cubs in Monday’s 12-8 loss, was 3-8 with a 5.96 ERA in 14 starts.

The Indians must pay Johnson what remains of his one-year $4 million contract, including a $500,000 buyout, if they are unable to trade him within the next 10 days.The Tribe still owes Johnson just over $2.2 million.In other moves, right-hander Jeremy Guthrie was optioned to Class AAA Buffalo, while right-hander Edward Mujica and utility man Joe Inglett were added to the Indians from Buffalo.

Sowers started for Buffalo on Tuesday night. GM Mark Shapiro said he would be added to the roster later this week in preparation for Sunday’s start. The Indians will have to make another roster move to create a spot for Sowers.

One possbility is placing Jason Michaels on the disabled list. Michaels has been slow to recover from a sprained right ankle suffered Thursday in a collision with the outfield fence at Yankee Stadium.

Sowers, the Indians No.1 pick in 2004, went into Tuesday’s start at 8-1 with a 1.27 ERA in 14 starts.“It would be wrong to say he’s going to come up here and throw this team on his back,“ said Shapiro.The Indians signed Johnson as a No.5 starter. He won his first two decisions and then went 1-8.“We felt it was time to make a move,“ said manager Eric Wedge.

oregonred
06-21-2006, 03:30 AM

;)

Elmer Dessens says hola ;)

Johnny Footstool
06-21-2006, 10:32 AM

My sarcasm detector is off the charts.

Rojo
06-21-2006, 02:09 PM
The Indians must pay Johnson what remains of his one-year $4 million contract, including a $500,000 buyout, if they are unable to trade him within the next 10 days.The Tribe still owes Johnson just over $2.2 million.

Why not just soak your cash in kerosene and roast weinies with it?

Heath
06-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Wow - is pitching overall this bad where Jason Johnson can get 3 million with a 500,000 buyout.

No kidding, Rojo, Someone better be inviting us to a bonfire.

Danny Serafini
06-21-2006, 03:23 PM
The Red Sox just sent a PTBNL to Cleveland for him. Wow.

Heath
06-21-2006, 03:30 PM
The Red Sox just sent a PTBNL to Cleveland for him. Wow.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 03:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions
Boston Redsox Acquired pitcher Jason Johnson from the Cleveland Indians for a player to be named or cash considerations; optioned pitcher Kyle Snyder to Pawtucket of the International League (AAA); announced outfielder Dustan Mohr has elected free agency instead of accepting an outright assignment to Pawtucket.

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Cash = a dollar for a soda.

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures.
They could use Milton

paulrichjr
06-21-2006, 04:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions
Boston Redsox Acquired pitcher Jason Johnson from the Cleveland Indians for a player to be named or cash considerations.

Hey let's see what they would give us for Arroyo. Maybe we could get Pena back!:laugh:

StillFunkyB
06-21-2006, 05:59 PM
I was at the Indians/Yankees game in NY when he pitched.

I don't see where he is better than anything else the Reds already have. Might as well save the money.

schroomytunes
06-21-2006, 08:21 PM
I for one would go out and get Dustan Mohr to replace McCracken, McCracken has shown me no reason to warrant a spot on a big league roster. Mohr is younger and has a little more pop in his bat, he is an ideal 5th outfielder.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 08:30 PM
I would pickup Mohr as well as a spare outfielder.

Caseyfan21
06-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Did anyone else get real scared watching the bottom line tonight on ESPN? I saw "Jason Johnson traded to the Red...Sox" For my broadcast the Sox came on the next line and I read it and thought, "Why do we need to bring in another bad pitcher?" Glad to see it was the Sox though.

GAC
06-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Did anyone bother to look up Jason Johnson's numbers for this season?

Ugly.

Really. I can't believe anyone would propose this guy, even as a 5th starter. There's a reason he was DFA'd by Cleveland.... He's 1-8 in his last 10 starts, with an ERA over 7.

The Sox are desperate with so many pitchers on the DL. Reaaaaaal desperate. ;)

princeton
06-23-2006, 10:21 AM
I saw his first two innings versus Yankees, and thought that he threw some tough pitches. He gave ARod an ugly atbat. He had stuff but was wild within the strike zone, which can be painful but can also correct quickly. It wouldn't surprise if he can contribute.

I also saw what I assume was an insulin pump attached to his belt. Forgive me but I'm cheering the guy no matter the uniform. I would have been pleased to see him Red.

oneupper
06-24-2006, 09:55 PM
I for one would go out and get Dustan Mohr to replace McCracken, McCracken has shown me no reason to warrant a spot on a big league roster. Mohr is younger and has a little more pop in his bat, he is an ideal 5th outfielder.

Wouldn't Dewayne Wise be ok? (we already have him).