PDA

View Full Version : Best athlete you ever played with

savafan
06-21-2006, 03:51 AM
Searching on the internet for some old friends from high school led me to think about this topic.

The best athlete I ever played with has to be Kristin King. She was so good, that she preferred to play with the boys. I was amazed, but not shocked to see that she became an Olympic medalist in ice hockey.

I used to have a knuckle curveball that was nasty. I threw it side-arm using my thumb, index finger and middle finger. The pitch would appear to come in high to the batter and then drop almost straight down as it neared the plate. My friends called it "The Dominator" because it was nearly impossible to hit.

K.K. (as her friends and teammates used to call her) came to the plate to face me. After she fouled off a few fastballs, I decided to try and get her out with the Dominator. She swung with one hand and drove it out for a homerun.

The next time she came to the plate, I decided that I was going to start her off with the Dominator, because nobody hit that pitch. Well, she did, and she hit it for her second homerun of the game.

After that, I was moved behind the plate to play catcher, and when she came up to bat the third time, I called for a fastball low and inside. The pitch was right where I wanted it, and apparently right where she wanted it too, because she just hit her third homerun of the game. Unbelievable. Everyone was stunned speechless. After that, my friends started calling the "Dominator" the "Masturbator".

One Sunday afternoon, a group of friends got together to play a pick-up football game at the park. Kristin was there. By this time, I had started to call her "Sparky" because of her size and power. We had a guy on our team, "Big" Dave Turner, who stood 6'7" weighed 340 pounds and had a size 16 shoe. We'd use him as a running back and a receiver, because nobody could ever bring him down once he got going. I think you can see where this story is heading. Dave went out for a pass, and started to barrel down the field after he caught it. It looked like nobody was going to catch him. Then, out of nowhere, Kristin King lunged and got her arms wrapped around his neck, taking him to the ground at the two yard line and stripping the ball in the process. She then proceeded to pick up the ball and run all the way back down the field for a touchdown. Unbelievable.

Her family used to tell the story about when she was playing hockey in an all boys league when she was younger. She was playing goalie in this particular game, and got upset when one of the players on the opposing team was getting away with what she thought was too rough of moves against her teammates. She threw off her gloves and skated out of the net and beat the crap out of that kid. His father ripped him up oneside and down the other after that game.

I knew that she had gotten a hockey scholarship to Dartmouth, and it's really cool to see that she was a part of the women's Olympic hockey team that won the bronze at the 2006 Winter Olympics. At least now whenever I get ribbed by an old friend about giving up two homeruns with the "Masturbator" at least I can say now that I gave them up to an Olympic champion.

Here is her Olympic profile, and a photo of the girl who is easily the greatest athlete I've ever played with or against.

http://www.usoc.org/26_43364.htm

http://www.nbcolympics.com/2005/1215/5075796.jpg

Who is the best athlete you ever played with?

RANDY IN INDY
06-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Played with Jeff Montgomery, former closer for the KC Royals. He was from Wellston, Ohio and went to Marshall University. Also played high school basketball against Carl Lee, former defensive back for the Minnesota Vikings. He also went to Marshall University and was from South Charleston, WV. Never played in an actual game with him, but went to Boys State with former Penn State and Seattle Seahawks running back Curt Warner. He was a tremendous athlete from Pineville, WV that could do it all. Football, basketball, baseball, track. He was super.

edabbs44
06-21-2006, 08:27 AM
Played with CJ Nitkowski in HS (former 1st round pick of the Reds) and Dave Fiore (lineman for Redskins and 49ers) in junior ball.

Best athlete I played against was probably Vernon Rollins, linebacker for Hackensack HS. Runner up to Josh Booty for Parade HS Player of the Year in 1993. Went to Iowa and had his career cut short to multiple knee injuries. Just watching this guy was flat out amazing. He averaged something like 18 tackles per game.

Gainesville Red
06-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Lenny DiNardo (Red Sox) struck me out a bunch of times. The one time he walked me he picked me off a couple throws later. Played basketball a lot with Ian Scott (d-lineman for the gators, now with the Chicago Bears). He seemed like he was like 7 feet tall in elementary school. I actually hit a single once of Andrew Miller, even though it was a seeing eye single that the SS probably should have gotten too. It counts. He also struck me out a bunch of times.

dabvu2498
06-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Played intramural basketball with Corey Chavous, DB for the Az Cards, Vikings, and Rams now, I believe. Made the Pro Bowl in 2003. Yeah, he was ridiculous.

Best baseball player... Chris Spurling (DET) or Matt Kata (CIN-AAA)... both were naturally talented kids.

Johnny Footstool
06-21-2006, 10:36 AM
I played little league against former Cardinals and Mariners farmhand Jeff Berblinger.

I also played tennis against former Phillies hurler Tyler Green.

Not a very impressive list, I know.

Roy Tucker
06-21-2006, 10:52 AM
I played pickup hoops with Mike Schmidt at OU. He was a senior when I was a freshman. He yelled at me to hustle.

Played HS football against Gordon Bell of Troy HS. He went on to star at Michigan and was a draft pick of the Giants. Randy Walker, current coach at Northwestern, played on that same Troy team and was a heckuva running back as well. They killed us.

Puffy
06-21-2006, 10:54 AM
me.

gonelong
06-21-2006, 12:04 PM
I played against 3 pitchers that moved along. 1 got a full ride to Indiana - don't know what happened to him. 1 was drafted - didn't follow him, and one made it to AA before blowing out his arm.

I played a pickup basketball game with Negele Knight (UD) and a few UD scrubs after they lost in the NCAA tourny one year. (I didn't see the ball much)

GL

RedsManRick
06-21-2006, 01:10 PM
I played 5 minutes in a pick up game with Devin Harris in college. I've never felt so slow and clumsy in my entire life.

Red Leader
06-21-2006, 01:18 PM
I played with Dustin Hermanson, Travis Miller, and Mike Gulan in college. I really thought Gulan's bat would make him a star in MLB. He could hit. He retired from baseball in the spring of 2003 after spending short stints in the majors with the Cardinals, Pirates, and Marlins.

I also grew up watching and played various pick up games with former OSU alum and NFL player Jeff Graham. I'd say he's probably the best overall athlete I've played with or against. Athletically, he could do almost anything.

Joseph
06-21-2006, 01:47 PM
I went to the same college as Kirk Reuter, does that count? No? Ok, sorry.

FindlayRed
06-21-2006, 01:50 PM
I am still pretty young, but in high school I batted against Chad Billingsly of the Dodgers (0-6, 5 K's), and in junior high I played football and baseball against Ross Homan, who is going to Ohio State to play linebacker.

Red Leader
06-21-2006, 01:54 PM
I am still pretty young, but in high school I batted against Chad Billingsly of the Dodgers (0-6, 5 K's), and in junior high I played football and baseball against Ross Homan, who is going to Ohio State to play linebacker.

Expect a PM from Krusty in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....;) :p:

ManITellUWhut
06-21-2006, 02:10 PM
I went to school with
http://www.enquirer.com/columns/daugherty/1998/03/judd_300x500.jpg
But I didn't play ball with her. :(

savafan
06-21-2006, 02:14 PM

We'll have to look back on this thread in a few years, as I once babysat Jeffrey Walker, who will be attending Ohio State on a full ride basketball scholarship.

Red Leader
06-21-2006, 02:16 PM
I went to school with
http://www.enquirer.com/columns/daugherty/1998/03/judd_300x500.jpg
But I didn't play ball with her. :(

Man I Tell U Whut :eek: :eek: :eek:

:laugh:

Me likey Ashley Judd.

LincolnparkRed
06-21-2006, 02:23 PM
back in my swimming days I swam against two fairly good athletes. One was a very tall 12 yr old who grew to 7-0 out of springfield OH, Jason Collier.

Also in high school a guy by the name of Jay Tant who was a decent football player but a great swimmer. He went to Northwestern and then played 1yr on the Cardinals as a TE

halcyon
06-21-2006, 02:44 PM
I played high school basketball against Julius Jones (running back for the Cowboys). He was very athletic and quick, but not nearly the best basketball player I ever suited up against. That honor would go to someone named Stacy Ervin, who I doubt anyone not native to VA on here has heard of. Ervin is the number 1 all time scorer in the state of Virginia at any level. He was so ridiculously good at basketball it made many ppl fear being embarrassed whenever they were around him.

Red Leader
06-21-2006, 02:47 PM
back in my swimming days I swam against two fairly good athletes. One was a very tall 12 yr old who grew to 7-0 out of springfield OH, Jason Collier.

Also in high school a guy by the name of Jay Tant who was a decent football player but a great swimmer. He went to Northwestern and then played 1yr on the Cardinals as a TE

I used to bully Jay Tant when he was about 6 or 7 and I was in grade school. Nothing major, just picked on him and teased him a lot. We belonged to the same swim club and he was friends with my friends little brother. We used to razz both of them pretty good. God did that kid grow into a monster. Shame he didn't stay healthy.

max venable
06-21-2006, 03:46 PM
I played Jr. High ball with Carlos Snow and Vinnie Clark--they were in my class at C.A.P.E.

Also, when I lived in Zanesville, I played hoops against Buster Howe. Anybody remember him? As pure athletes go, Buster has to be at the top of the list.

Puffy
06-21-2006, 04:00 PM
I can answer this question for RFS - he played stick ball against Jim Thorpe.

westofyou
06-21-2006, 04:09 PM
My Little League coach in 4th grade was Lions QB, Bill Munson, he pitched batting practice.. so he wins by default. I hit my only little league HR off Al Kalines son Mike, so if we can apply osmosis to the question he'd be in second.

And once I played soccer against a guy who played for the Cincinnati Comets.

M2
06-21-2006, 04:21 PM
I once got dusted by former 100 meter record holder Leroy Burrell.

Danny Serafini
06-21-2006, 04:28 PM
I've raced against two of the past three Indy 500 winners (Buddy Rice and Sam Hornish) and Ryan Newman, who's won a batch of NASCAR races. It's not something I play up much because of my complete disdain for anything IRL, and the fact that Newman was, by far, the dirtiest driver I've raced against in 20 years. In total I've raced against two drivers who've raced in Champ Car, two who have raced in NASCAR Nextel Cup and probably a dozen or so who have raced in the IRL. Of the guys I've listed I'd say Rice is the best of the three.

savafan
06-21-2006, 04:41 PM
I've raced against two of the past three Indy 500 winners (Buddy Rice and Sam Hornish) and Ryan Newman, who's won a batch of NASCAR races. It's not something I play up much because of my complete disdain for anything IRL, and the fact that Newman was, by far, the dirtiest driver I've raced against in 20 years. In total I've raced against two drivers who've raced in Champ Car, two who have raced in NASCAR Nextel Cup and probably a dozen or so who have raced in the IRL. Of the guys I've listed I'd say Rice is the best of the three.

No, we're talking about athletes here. ;) :p:

DunnersGrl44
06-21-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm also pretty young... but when i was a little girl from 8-13 i played in the ATP juniors and we traveled around the US and carribean, I have played again Laura Granville(top 100 in the WTA, played 1 at Stanford) and Alexandra Stevenson (made it to the Semi's and Wimbledon a couple years back) i beat Granville and lost to Stevenson.... but nothing will ever compare to the beating I recieved from a cocky little blonde girl 3 years younger than me... by the name of Maria Sharapova.... I stopped playing after i lost to her... haha.... i probably should of stuck with it, I had it in the my head that if i couldn't beat a 10 year old when i was 13 i shouldn't play at all... D'OH!

Red Leader
06-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Hey Christine, good to see you around. Those are some serious names you just threw out in Granville, Stevenson and Sharapova. Even if you ranked 4th on that list, you'd still have to be pretty good. It's a shame you gave up on it.

DunnersGrl44
06-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Hey Christine, good to see you around. Those are some serious names you just threw out in Granville, Stevenson and Sharapova. Even if you ranked 4th on that list, you'd still have to be pretty good. It's a shame you gave up on it.

Yeah good to be back around a little bit more, Yeah I was really not even close to being number 4 in that league.... I had my moments... I didn't really give it up, but we moved to NY and it was almost impossible to play in the tournaments because of travel.. I played tennis in college... but i never persued the pros or anything i was to old by the ripe old age of 13

RedsBaron
06-21-2006, 05:00 PM
I played high school baseball against Don Robinson, who later pitched for the Pirates and Giants in the 1970s and 1980s, but I never actually batted against him.

cincyinco
06-21-2006, 05:32 PM
A former girlfriend used to babysit for Patrick Roy...

I saw Denver Nuggets coach George Carl at a gas station by my house about 2 months or so ago... does that count?

Red Leader
06-21-2006, 05:34 PM
A former girlfriend used to babysit for Patrick Roy...

I saw Denver Nuggets coach George Carl at a gas station by my house about 2 months or so ago... does that count?

I'd go with Patrick Roy if I were you.... ;) :laugh:

IslandRed
06-21-2006, 05:55 PM
I wasn't exactly on any all-star teams, so the best I can do is playing intramurals in college against a few guys that ended up playing in the NFL for a little while. And I played golf with a Heisman Trophy winner (Chris Weinke) at a charity outing. That's about it.

IslandRed
06-21-2006, 05:57 PM
The best athlete I ever played with has to be Kristin King. ... Here is her Olympic profile, and a photo of the girl who is easily the greatest athlete I've ever played with or against.

OK, who else read that whole spiel and concluded that ol' Savafan had a bit of a crush on Ms. King? :evil:

OnBaseMachine
06-21-2006, 06:00 PM
I played Senior League All-Star baseball against Adam Myers a few years back. Who is Adam Myers ya say? A RHP drafted by the Braves in the 43rd round of the 2004 draft. I went 1-for-2 with an infield single(thanks to the 3B for falling down:thumbup: ), walk, and a strikeout looking(on a poor call by the ump;) ).

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/M/adam-myers-1.shtml

Not an impressive list by any means.;)

savafan
06-21-2006, 06:03 PM
OK, who else read that whole spiel and concluded that ol' Savafan had a bit of a crush on Ms. King? :evil:

LOL, that's not the case at all. I respect her, in the sense that she could probably kill me with her own two hands.

saboforthird
06-21-2006, 07:23 PM
I didn't "play with" Sean Walker, but went to school with him. Sean was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates organization back in the early 1990's. He never really did much in professional baseball, heard he had a difficult time managing his money (gave it all to friends on booze and drugs). Sean set the national high school, I believe, for homeruns in a season (Harrison County High School - Cynthiana, KY).

LawFive
06-21-2006, 11:16 PM
I never played with anyone famous, but early in my soccer refereeing career I threw out the coach of one team, who happened to be a prominent Hamilton County Common Pleas judge. He is still a judge today...and about 15-16 years ago, got pitched by a punk 13 year old kid referee for calling the referee a (butt)hole.

15fan
06-21-2006, 11:27 PM
My Dad.

He swam for a couple of years at Indiana for Doc Counsilman.

Yachtzee
06-21-2006, 11:34 PM

Or should we say, Ms. "Schwing!"? Sava's got a girlfriend. Sava's got a girlfriend...:evil:

jmcclain19
06-21-2006, 11:49 PM
In college I got the chance to play, at different times, a round of golf each with Natalie Gulbis and Ricky Barnes. You're busy checking out the incredibly attractive Gulbis while she drives a monster shot past you off the tee then lays up a 100 yard wedge 2 feet from the hole.

I played softball in the same league for several years against a team that had former UA starting QB and long time minor leaguer Keith Smith as it's starting SS. He still stands today as one of the strongest hitters I've ever played against, hitting cartoonish home runs with seemingly little effort.

BuckeyeRed27
06-22-2006, 12:02 AM
My senior year at OSU Bryan Volpenhein rowed in my boat for a practice. He was the stroke seat for the men's eight that won the gold medal in Athens and is widely considered the best rower in the world. I got to wear his gold medal for a few minutes. Pretty awesome.

Caseyfan21
06-22-2006, 12:50 AM
I've got a couple now but I'm thinking in a few years that list could grow as I'm only 2 years out of high school. I played 1 on 1 against Brooks Hall (UD basketball star) at the Springboro YMCA the year after he graduated when he was in the process of trying out for some NBA teams. He whooped me even though we had the rule he couldn't dunk over me. Still it was a lot of fun since I was a huge UD Bball fan and he was one of my favorite players when I was in junior high/high school.

In baseball I've pretty much played against most of the big guys from the area including the kid from Talawanda who got drafted a couple years ago and Tyler Pritchard of Lebanon who is tearing it up at Ball State and looking like a possible major league prospect. I've played pick up basketball games with several of the OSU football players who are actually pretty good.

I have a few other good friends in college right now for various athletic scholarships who will hopefully become famous enough for me to come back to this thread in a few years.

It8ifyifitsgrif
06-22-2006, 01:08 AM
I played summer league and AAU basketball from 6th to 10th grade againist Matt Sylvester (OSU), Robert Hite (Miami), and Michael Munoz (UT-Fooball). Also played baseball versus Paul Hammond (recent draftee of Tigers; he plunked me twice).

Also ran with many successful track and cross country runners that now are at D-1 colleges. Including one that was also a undefeated state wrestling champ that became two time ncaa all-american at northwestern.

And many more

savafan
06-22-2006, 01:08 AM
Or should we say, Ms. "Schwing!"? Sava's got a girlfriend. Sava's got a girlfriend...:evil:

I better not let my fiancee see that.

I do have one other Kristin King story.

In another game, she was up to bat and I was catching. She fouled off something like nine pitches in a row, all of them right back at me, and each one hitting me in the mommy-daddy button. We had to stop playing because my pitcher, Bill Tucker, the umpire, and Kristin herself were all laughing so hard. I stayed in, and next time she came up to bat, fouled back the first pitch right in my package. That was it, I was done, had to go take care of the bruising and swelling.

Johnny Vander m
06-22-2006, 01:41 AM
In High School I batted against Jack Baldschun of Greenville. Struck out!

Chip R
06-22-2006, 02:37 AM
In High School I batted against Jack Baldschun of Greenville. Struck out!

What, no tales about your battles with Red Grange? ;)

In high school football I used to play against a guy named Jeff Criswell who ended up playing offensive tackle for the Chiefs for several years. The town he was from had a population of about 500. He was about 6'5" in high school and played QB and defensive end. So I'd either have to block him or sack him. I had better luck with the former than the latter and that isn't saying much.

cincinnati chili
06-22-2006, 03:10 AM
I've played ping pong and foosball with the Pirates' Zach Duke. Does that count?

I currently work with numerous former Olympic medalists, and I expect to get my ass handed to me at the company volleyball game on Friday.

Outshined_One
06-22-2006, 03:44 AM
I played 5 minutes in a pick up game with Devin Harris in college. I've never felt so slow and clumsy in my entire life.

Nice guy, from the limited time I've talked with him at parties and such.

Former Wisconsin FB Matt Bernstein has nearly plowed me over on a number of occasions. Not on the football field or anything like that, but I had class with the guy and he still remembers me from it...which has made for interesting moments when he's had plenty to drink. The guy is like a walking wall for cripe's sake.

Buckeye33
06-22-2006, 05:06 AM
My Junior year in high school I played against the Reds own Tom Shearn when he was at Briggs HS here in Columbus. Bob Todd was in the stands watching because Shern was still on the market as a college player.

He was then drafted by the Astros and signed. During this game he threw a curveball and his coach immediately called time and went out and went off on him. I guess he was told not to throw a curveball during this game because there was no need to. My team was good for a city league school then, but we were far from use to seeing 90-93 MPH fastball on the paint.

Our only hit came on a late swing blooper that landed 10 feet behind 1st base on the line from a right handed batter. He was impressive that day.

BoydsOfSummer
06-22-2006, 02:17 PM
I played against Napolean McCallum (Raiders,rb). He was running through us,around us and over us,and we only lost 1 game during my junior and senior years. Anytime I was lucky enough to tackle him and we had a nice pileup,I started breaking his shoelaces. And once I ripped his chinstrap off and stuck it down my pants. Anything to get that bastidge out of the game for a play or two!:laugh:

Not exactly a steroid scandal but that is my brush with athletic dishonesty.:D

westofyou
06-22-2006, 02:34 PM
I played against Napolean McCallum (Raiders,rb). He was running through us,around us and over us,and we only lost 1 game during my junior and senior years. Anytime I was lucky enough to tackle him and we had a nice pileup,I started breaking his shoelaces. And once I ripped his chinstrap off and stuck it down my pants. Anything to get that bastidge out of the game for a play or two!:laugh:

Not exactly a steroid scandal but that is my brush with athletic dishonesty.:D
Go Milford. ;)

GIK
06-22-2006, 02:36 PM
John Stockton, not professionally of'course.

Red Heeler
06-22-2006, 03:37 PM
I play in an adult over-30 soccer league. We had a guy in the league who had been capped for the Finland national team back in the day. I thought, "How good can he be? The Finns play hockey, not soccer." Well, I'm probably the fastest guy in the league, and he was just as fast, 6" taller, outweighed me by 50 lbs of pure muscle, and had a leg like a cannon.

StillFunkyB
06-22-2006, 10:05 PM
I played a pickup game of basketball with a guy that ended up being drafted by the Pirates. He was pretty darn good at basketball. In baseball, he pitched a complete game shutout, and hit three homeruns in the all-star game, IIRC.

I also played on a basketball team with another kid that pretty much NEVER missed a shot. During warmups he would shoot half court shots like there were layups and made just about every one. I talked to quite a few people in the years since that said if he wasn't so stupid he could have AT LEAST played D-1 College ball. I have never seen someone with such a pure jump shot in my life.

Blimpie
06-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Anybody remember Lamar Thomas?

He was the loudmouth wide receiver who played for the Miami Hurriqueens and then later for the Miami Dolphins. When I was in college at the University of Florida, I lived in the same Gainesville neighborhood as he.

I used to school his All-City rear-end (by my estimation) in basketball every day at our local neighborhood park. Of course, he was only attending Buchholtz Middle School at the time....:cool:

dougdirt
06-23-2006, 06:02 PM
I played baseball with a kid named Robert Hite, who was a 4 year basketball player at the University of Miami (FL) and just completed his senior season. I dont doubt he will be on an NBA roster sometime next year.
I also played pickup basketball two summers ago with some kid named Mayo. I think his first name was OJ....
I also played basketball with NY Jets fullback BJ Askew when I was a freshman in HS and he was a senior.

Raisor
06-23-2006, 08:14 PM
I was on a summer travel baseball team with Billy Joe Holbert, who went on to play minor league ball for the WhiteSox and played in the NFL for like 23 teams (but was with the Raiders first).

Holbert, or as he's called in the state of Washington "Billy Dough" was "asked" to leave the University of Washington early for taking money and guns from boosters.

When he was a third string QB for, I want to say New England or Buffalo, he had to come into a game, but he didn't actually remember any of the plays. He was released shortly after.

Hap
06-23-2006, 09:39 PM
I played baseball (Allen East) against Gene Stechschulte (Kalida), but I do not remember him specifically. I also played against Doug Etzler (Convoy Crestview), who was one heckuva shortstop and went on to become a very good basketball player for Ohio State.

Jpup
06-26-2006, 09:17 AM
The best athelete that I ever played sports with never made it out of high school. He is now in jail. It's a shame because he could hit a baseball better than anyone I ever played with. He was also the best football player that I ever saw.

I played basketball with a guy that played for UK. He was good, but not nearly the best player I ever played with. I don't know how he got a full ride to UK. My brother used to school him on a weekly basis during the summer. I don't know why my brother didn't work harder at sports, he just didn't seem interested after he turned 16. I was never too good at basketball, I was pretty darn good at baseball in my day.

Those were the days. Now I have to work for a living. :thumbdown

chicoruiz
06-26-2006, 10:47 AM
In college, future Hall Of Fame linebacker Jack Lambert hit a home run off me in an intramural softball game that may still be rolling.

Red Leader
06-26-2006, 11:06 AM
In college, future Hall Of Fame linebacker Jack Lambert hit a home run off me in an intramural softball game that may still be rolling.

Did you go to Kent St?

puca
06-26-2006, 03:22 PM
I pitched against Paul O'Neill in American Legion. I'm not sure how he did batting against me, but we lost the game and it wasn't particularly close. I remember I had to leave the game when I got hit in the hand by a tall lanky hard throwing left-handler. I'm not sure if that was O'Neill pitching because they had a few players of that description, and after all he wasn't famous yet.

I also played HS basketball against Garin Veris. Veris, who later went on to star for the NFL NE Patriots, was 6' 4" and weighed right around 280 lbs IIRC. In one game my Junior year he sent 3 of our players to the hospital with broken bones and concussions. Needless to I stayed outside the 3-point line. I set a career high in points that day with (I think) 17.

OldRightHander
06-26-2006, 11:57 PM
I played a lot of basketball growing up and played with Brian Grant for one year in Jr. High. The following year I switched schools so I didn't play with him in high school. He was a pretty high draft pick coming out of Xavier but has been pretty much a bench sitter in the NBA for the last few seasons.

Sean_CaseyRules
06-27-2006, 01:24 AM
I also played HS basketball against Garin Veris. Veris, who later went on to star for the NFL NE Patriots, was 6' 4" and weighed right around 280 lbs IIRC. In one game my Junior year he sent 3 of our players to the hospital with broken bones and concussions. Needless to I stayed outside the 3-point line. I set a career high in points that day with (I think) 17.

No way, I was just going to post about him! I personally didn't play a sport with him, but a couple years ago he was on my Dad's softball team, and i kept book because I had a broken leg, and he came up to me one day and asked me to pick a bat for him to use and I did, and he hit a homerun, and my sister ran and got it, and he signed the softball and gave it to me, lol. I also have a picture of him playing for the 49ers and he signed it and wrote, "Best Wishes" to me, and that was probably the greatest guy that was a athlete that I've personally talked to

MartyFan
06-27-2006, 11:10 AM
When I was a kid I played HR Derby with a guy named Bill Graves and Dave Clark...Clark was a pick by the Cardinals and could hit the ball a mile.

Graves was drafted by the Yankees...spent some time in the minors but never made it to the bigs.

When I was in College I played a p/u game of basketball with former OSU RB Vince Workman...he played a couple of years in the pros and then injuries took him out.

The best athelete I ever playd with or aginast was a guy named Anthony Raymore who went to HS with me...he was a great basketball player...fast in track and had the discipline to run distance too but like a lot of others he got hurt....he would have been the Michael Redd of that generation before Michael Redd came up out of Columbus West High School.

redsfaninbsg
06-27-2006, 04:06 PM
I played high school basketball against Julius Jones (running back for the Cowboys). He was very athletic and quick, but not nearly the best basketball player I ever suited up against. That honor would go to someone named Stacy Ervin, who I doubt anyone not native to VA on here has heard of. Ervin is the number 1 all time scorer in the state of Virginia at any level. He was so ridiculously good at basketball it made many ppl fear being embarrassed whenever they were around him.

Man, where are you from? I graduated from the same high school as the Jones boys, and I know good and well who Stacy Ervin is. Best basketball player ever in Southwest Virginia. Even though Jesse McMurray broke his record a couple years ago.

halcyon
06-27-2006, 06:14 PM
I PM'd you.

I remember McMurray's name, but didn't know he got Stacy's record. Too bad. Stacy was a great guy in addition to being very talented. He used to screw around and bounce three pointers in, bounce the ball between guys' legs, pull up 6 or 8 feet behind the line in intramurals and drain threes.

Tom B
07-05-2006, 04:37 PM
My Junior year in high school I played against the Reds own Tom Shearn when he was at Briggs HS here in Columbus. Bob Todd was in the stands watching because Shern was still on the market as a college player.

He was then drafted by the Astros and signed. During this game he threw a curveball and his coach immediately called time and went out and went off on him. I guess he was told not to throw a curveball during this game because there was no need to. My team was good for a city league school then, but we were far from use to seeing 90-93 MPH fastball on the paint.

Our only hit came on a late swing blooper that landed 10 feet behind 1st base on the line from a right handed batter. He was impressive that day.

Who did you play for? I grew up with Tom and played with him at Briggs, although I was a sophmore when he was a senior though so I didnt play that much. Iam trying to remember which game that was, cause we used to have plenty of coaches and scouts at our games because of Tom, and then two years later another kid named Larry Mccoy.
Well I played many games of football, wiffle ball, baseball, etc with Tom and he was a great arm and decent athlete all around. But I would have to say playing against Michael Redd of the Bucks was the one of the best. Also played b-ball against Kenny Gregory (Kansas), Estabon Weaver, George Reese (OSU), Doug Davis (Mich State). Out of all of them I would have to say in HS Gregory was the best, the dude could jump out of the gym and believe it or not would not miss. That was back when Columbus City league b-ball was booming.

Dom Heffner
07-05-2006, 07:04 PM
John Sence of Milford High School, period.

I ran the 2 mile in track and when we ran against Milford, we all just sort of hoped we wouldn't get lapped twice. You knew once was going to happen, but twice was a personal goal. Fast mofo.

HumnHilghtFreel
07-05-2006, 07:45 PM
When my oldest brother was still in highschool, he was good friends with 3 time NBA Champion Samaki Walker, he would come over and play some bball in my back yard with me every once in awhile. Really amazing how big some athletes are, and that was just when he was in highschool.

Redsland
07-05-2006, 10:09 PM
John Sence of Milford High School, period.
We have something in common.

I had occasion to "compete" against John many times, since our schools were in the same league then. Great guy. He'd always dominate every race up until state, after which a guy from Westerville would beat him at state and above. I think they even went one/two at the Olympic trials. It's a shame John was such an elite talent, yet couldn't win state because of one guy. If he'd've been born in 49 other places, who knows.

Anyway, John and I were running at either League or District our senior year, and he and I were pacing the pack a few laps in. Believe it or not, we were actually chatting with each other during a track race. Talking about college, mostly. Finally, after the fourth or fifth lap, he interjects that his coach is yelling at him, and that he has to go. And go he did. When he started his kick, he pulled away from me so fast I had to look down to be sure I wasn't standing still.

Highlifeman21
07-12-2006, 04:05 PM
I beat Brett Myers and Cory Lidle and some Phillies employee @ golf last year at the golf course where I was working as an Asst. Pro.

The Phillies employee was worthless, Myers and Lidle have some game, though.

Highlifeman21 = 74
Lidle = 78
Myers = 81
Phillies employee = still swinging

Lidle gave me a run for my money, Myers rebounded well after a horrible front. Nice guys. Lidle talked with me about the Reds. Myers talked about fun bars in town. Educational on many levels.

CrackerJack
07-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Played against Carlos Snow and future NFL'er Vinnie Clark in JHS and HS several times.

Also played against Dana Stubblefield in early high school while he was at Taylor.

They were fully matured by the age of 15 I think and might as well have been 25-30 year old men at that age. It was kind of ridiculous.

Ravenlord
07-12-2006, 04:19 PM
used to play intermeral basketball with Ohio State defensive linemen Quinn Pitcock back in high school. i'm far from being a weakling but Quinn was so incredibly strong even as a sophmore in high school he could strip the ball from you in a tie up with what looked like no effort what so ever...not to mention that dunking from outside the key thing he can do.

max venable
07-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Played against Carlos Snow and future NFL'er Vinnie Clark in JHS and HS several times.

Then you played against me, too. (see my earlier post)

redsmetz
07-18-2006, 10:10 AM
I played in a softball game about 15-16 years ago against Chico Cardenas. I think I've shared this before, but I hit a double (rare for me - Punch n Judy hitter all the way - almost had a home run twice - thrown out at the plate both times!). He came over and said, "Good hit!". My kids were little then and I introduced them to him afterwards and told them he was Barry Larkin when Larkin was in diapers.

I grew up in Deer Park and Roger Staubach was from our parish. His wife to be lived across the street from us and he would play touch football with the guys on the street (this is when he was still at Navy). He and his wife actually babysat us when my folks went to the hospital for my first sister to be born (this would be 1959). We were at their wedding and when I read his biography, it showed a picture of them coming out of the cathedral and there I was in the background!

Len Matuszek was a year older than me, so he had moved up to C ball the one year I actually played. He was on that good UDF team in Deer Park and Silverton (they'd been on the VFW team the year before. There were a lot of good players on those teams from St. Johns, St. Saviour and St. Vincents).

This isn't a "played with" story, but in high school I did phone sales selling circus tickets as a fundraiser. I called a Warren Giles and asked him if he was THE Warren Giles. It was - this was during the time when the NL offices were in the Carew Tower downtown. Not a sports one, but when I worked for trucking company, I got a call from Esther Price herself looking for a 5000 lbs. shipment of cocoa. It was THE Esther Price and I told her I thought that was just a name like Betty Crocker. She laughed and insisted I find her shipment of cocoa. That company couldn't have gotten something across the street on time!

Dan
07-18-2006, 11:31 AM
The only one ever remotely famous is pro bowler Brian Kretzer (http://www.pba.com/players/singlebio.asp?ID=136). I think he was a senior in the HS travelling league when I was a freshman or sophomore. I remember him from the shirt he had with his name on the back.

registerthis
07-18-2006, 12:55 PM
I once played in a pickup basketball game with Dimitrious Stanley. Although "played" might be too strong a term...perhaps "ran alongside" is more appropriate.

redsfanfalcon
07-18-2006, 10:12 PM
I saw Brian Grant play against my high school in basketball. My high school beat them in the regional semis, then lost to Bobby Hoying's St. Henry team.

redsfanfalcon
07-18-2006, 10:12 PM
I had to guard Curtis Enis in basketball. He was Mr. Football of Ohio in 1994 and went on to Penn State. He scored like over 2,500 points in his high school career, but football was his sport. He ran into injury problems after being drafted by the Bears.

RadfordVA
07-20-2006, 06:38 AM
Played basketball with Darris Nichols starting point guard at West Virginia this year. He went to high school here. Not that big of a name, I know