PDA

View Full Version : Narron - Weathers

bigdaddy
06-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Narron looked angry when he approached the mound last night to pull Weathers. Weathers looked at him and on my TV, it looked like he said "I'm hurt". Did anyone else see that?

If he's hurt he should not be out there.

Also if Phillips gets the second base the inning before, Aurilla doesn't hit into that double play.

RFS62
06-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Yeah, it hurt me too to watch it.

RedFanAlways1966
06-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Narron looked angry when he approached the mound last night to pull Weathers. Weathers looked at him and on my TV, it looked like he said "I'm hurt". Did anyone else see that?

Also if Phillips gets the second base the inning before, Aurilla doesn't hit into that double play.

I wondered what was going on when Jerry got to the mound. However, it looked as though he patted Weathers as he exited the mound (as Jerry always does to any pitcher who is leaving in an inning). If he isn't hurt, then Weathers should look for a new occupation... b/c he was batting practice 101 last night.

Tough one for Brandon Phillips. When a ball rolls from the catcher like that, the runner has to make up his mind to go immediately. A little hesitation and most of the time a ML catcher will gun 'em out. Even if he makes it, a grounder to third base (which Rich hit) is not the best thing to do with men on 2nd & 3rd and only 1 out. No guarantee another run would have scored that inning.

dfs
06-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Hopefully with some stability in the front office and a manager who might be around for a bit, the reds pitchers will stop playing hide the injury. We've seen WAY to much of that game.

Krusty
06-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Isn't it about time to recall Belisle from his rehab outing?

flyer85
06-21-2006, 09:52 AM
If he's hurt he should not be out there.He should have went to the DL to begin with. Shoulder tendinitis doesn't get better in three days.

RANDY IN INDY
06-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Weathers is close to being done.

flyer85
06-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Weathers is close to being done.bunch of other guys in the pen can say that at as well

Redhook
06-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Weathers is close to being done.

If he's about done, we're in real trouble. Not that we aren't already. Up until his recent injury, he has been far and away our second best reliever. He was somewhat reliable. Now we have no one other than Coffey. If our starters don't go 7+ we have almost no chance to win. It's sad. Could you imagine how good this team would be if we had the Nasty Boys? I think we'd be a strong candidate to go to the World Series.

flyer85
06-21-2006, 10:22 AM
If he's about done, we're in real trouble. Reds are in real trouble even if he isn't about done.

Redus
06-21-2006, 10:27 AM
time for Krivs to find bullpen help....no actually its overdue

Redhook
06-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Reds are in real trouble even if he isn't about done.

What would make you say that? We have a 1 1/2 game lead in the Wild Card. Trouble, what trouble? ;)

Joseph
06-21-2006, 10:32 AM
I thought I saw him say 'I'm sorry'

bigdaddy
06-21-2006, 10:41 AM
What's has happened to Ryan Wagner?

flyer85
06-21-2006, 10:42 AM
I thought I saw him say 'I'm sorry'but we don't know if he's sorry that he's hurt, or that he pitched poorly, or both.

redsmetz
06-21-2006, 11:32 AM
but we don't know if he's sorry that he's hurt, or that he pitched poorly, or both.

I thought he was rather stand-up in his post game comments. Didn't mince his words. He acknowledged that he stunk, didn't look for excuses. That said, we have got to do something. This bullpen is far too unreliable and we urgently need help.

gonelong
06-21-2006, 11:40 AM

I replayed it 4 or 5 times.

To me it looked like he went to say "I'm Sorry" ... but JN said something to him at "I'm So..." and Weathers stopped.

After JN was done talking to him, you could clearly (IMO and Mrs. Gonelong's opinion) see Weathers tell him "I'm sorry, skip".

GL

TeamBoone
06-21-2006, 12:16 PM
What's has happened to Ryan Wagner?

he's continuing to stink it up in Louisville. He has the third highest ERA on the pitching staff.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Weathers continues to slump
Reliever's bad patch exemplifies team's travails
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

NEW YORK - David Weathers can't remember being this bad.

"I just stink," he said. "I try to throw a sinker and it's as straight as uncooked pasta. These last couple of outings, everything that can go wrong has."

Weathers gave up a two-run home run to the second batter he faced Tuesday night. And just like that, the Reds were headed to a 9-2 loss to the New York Mets before a crowd of 38,891 at Shea Stadium.

The loss was the Reds' ninth in 11 games.

Weathers ended up facing seven batters. He retired one and gave up four runs.

He has allowed at least one run in six of his last eight appearances. In two appearances since missing four games with shoulder tendinitis, Weathers has allowed seven runs in 11/3 innings.

"Seven runs in 11/3 innings," he said. "That's pretty bad."

His ERA is up to 5.57, but he says he's healthy.

"There's no way to sugar-coat it," Weathers said. "It's been terrible."

Reds manager Jerry Narron has few choices in the bullpen these days.

"I really believe these guys are better than they've pitched lately," Narron.

Starter Elizardo Ramirez (2-6) went six innings, allowing four runs on six hits.

"I feel bad for E.Z.," Weathers said. "The kid's throwing great. Add-on runs are killing us."

Ramirez threw eight shutout innings his last time out. This time, he gave up three in the first inning - two on Carlos Delgado's homer on an 0-2 pitch.

The Reds scored one in the fifth. But in the bottom of the inning, Mets pitcher Steve Trachsel hit his first home run since 1996.

The Reds cut the lead back to two in the seventh on Javier Valentin's sacrifice fly. But that's all they got out of a bases-loaded, no-out situation.

Then came Weathers.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060621/SPT04/606210341/1071

WMR
06-21-2006, 12:47 PM
"I really believe these guys are better than they've pitched lately," Narron.

I really hope Jerry doesn't actually believe that and is just trying to build some confidence ... or something.

jimbo
06-21-2006, 01:16 PM
I really hope Jerry doesn't actually believe that and is just trying to build some confidence ... or something.

I'm sure Narron knows that his bullpen is crap, he just isn't going to say it to the media. He's not that type of manager.

Heath
06-21-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm sure Narron knows that his bullpen is crap, he just isn't going to say it to the media. He's not that type of manager.

But here's a manager that runs a 2-46 batter up there in the cleanup spot.

dabvu2498
06-21-2006, 01:23 PM
Between reading this and the poll thread on ORG... I'd say we may have had some different opinions of Mr. Narron before the start of the previous homestand.

pedro
06-21-2006, 01:29 PM

is he really 2-46?

flyer85
06-21-2006, 01:29 PM
I guess Jerry would have been better off letting EZ hit for himself in the 7th.

reds44
06-21-2006, 01:35 PM
He's 2-46????

Jharb74
06-21-2006, 01:37 PM
It's always easy to say you are hurt when you get shelled. Just ask Claussen. Weathers had a great career, so did Merker. But they'll soon be like John Franco going to the Astro's...hanging on just a little too long.

fielder's choice
06-21-2006, 02:16 PM
"Add-on runs are killing us."

Really? I thought they were helping us. :p:

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Isn't it about time to recall Belisle from his rehab outing?
Belisle should be the 5 starter over Mays

Ltlabner
06-21-2006, 04:37 PM
Assuming for a minute that Weathers is, in fact hurt, it touches on a pet peeve of mine. If a guy is hurt, why in the world would he continue to go out and get shelled. He knows something is amiss, even if he isn't quite sure it's an actual injury. To blindly go out repeatidly, under the guise of "being a gamer" and costing the team is nothing but pure ego and pride.

I'm not saying Weathers is doing this, but the topic raises the issue in my mind. It's happened before (see Weathers, Claussen, et al).

The other issue is does the team force the players, especially the pitchers to get routine medical exams? I would think the pitchers would go in for regular MRI's, Petscans, etc looking for signs of problems. Once a player is obvously struggling for no apparent reason, would the team order an exam instead of relying on the player to fess up? Maybe these sorts of injuries can't be discovered with simple scans and would require invasive procedures they want to avoid?

Anyway, just hit a hot-button with me. I feel better now.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 05:57 PM
I agree with you Ltlabner that routine exams etc should be done with pitchers and any players that look like something might be wrong. It seems like checking early would save both the player and team from making injury situations worse.

Sea Ray
06-21-2006, 06:15 PM
I think he said "I'm sorry" but I also think he's still hurt. A guy his age doesn't get over tendinitis that quick. He's also shown he's a much better pitcher than that. He got the shoulder problem from being overworked. I think we'll see him going on the DL in the next week, then we can all ask why wasn't that done all along.

saboforthird
06-21-2006, 07:13 PM
If he's about done, we're in real trouble. Not that we aren't already. Up until his recent injury, he has been far and away our second best reliever. He was somewhat reliable. Now we have no one other than Coffey. If our starters don't go 7+ we have almost no chance to win. It's sad. Could you imagine how good this team would be if we had the Nasty Boys? I think we'd be a strong candidate to go to the World Series.

Wow.

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 07:21 PM
is he really 2-46?
Not that I could find anywhere

But is he 0-7 as a PH

Also sports the 2nd most at bats in the cleanup spot, but the 2nd lowest OPS of all cleanup hitters..behind Hatteberg who was 0-4 in his 1 4th spot stint. ;)

gm
06-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Weathers had a great career, so did Merker. But they'll soon be like John Franco going to the Astro's...hanging on just a little too long.

Trying to get one more season out of veteran relievers...the Reds needed to roll 7s in 2006 but wound up with snake eyes

Time to hang 'em up, Dave. Have a great time coaching your son

2001MUgrad
06-21-2006, 07:35 PM
He should have been handed a bus ticket by Narron when he got to the mound.

TeamBoone
06-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Anybody remember that Weathers considered retirement right before the season started... like the day before?

I never heard him say why he decided not to.

Redhook
06-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Anybody remember that Weathers considered retirement right before the season started... like the day before?

I never heard him say why he decided not to.

Weathers knew that he was the cornerstone of our bullpen and that if he didn't come back our bullpen would unravel putting up an unfathomable amount of runs. Phew, I'm sure glad he came back because we'd be awful without him. ;)