PDA

View Full Version : Reds--Mariners Trade Idea

Krusty
06-21-2006, 08:37 AM
What do you think of this:

Reds trade LHP Brandon Claussen to the Mariners for RHP Rafael Soriano.

Of course Claussen is on the DL so you would have to wait till he is healthy. But, isn't it about time to realize that all that New York hype about Claussen is just hype? Do we see Claussen being any better than bottom of the rotation fodder? Soriano could be the setup man the Reds definitely need to get to Coffey. Weathers, Mercker and Hammond aren't getting the job done. And if the bullpen doesn't get better, you can cancel any thoughts of going to the playoffs.

Now trading Claussen has risks and you have to put the fifth spot in the hands of Joe Mays. Of course if Mays flop, you might want to consider LHP Phil Dumtrait, who had his second straight successful start for Louisville.

So would you pull the trigger?

OldXOhio
06-21-2006, 08:46 AM
why would SEA want Brandon Claussen, overhyped bottom of the rotation fodder is you say?

Krusty
06-21-2006, 08:51 AM
Maybe you spice up the deal to make it LHP Jamie Moyer and RHP Rafael Soriano for LHP Brandon Claussen, LHP Brian Shackelford and a minor leaguer.

Redus
06-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Seattle wouldnt do it.

flyer85
06-21-2006, 09:43 AM
I think the point is that Seattle is probably looking to trade some guys, however, Soriano is not one of them.

Redsnake
06-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Soriano was the closer in waiting until Guardado failed. Guaradado did and Soriano is now the closer. We however might have a better chance in asking for Putz or Guardado. I would do a Denorfia and Claussen for Putz and a minor league pitcher.

GoReds
06-21-2006, 10:25 AM
I'd like to see Kearns, Claussen and Wood for Meche and Soriano. I think Seattle would listen to that one.

pedro
06-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Meche has been pitching pretty well of late which is good new for other pitchers as he is really the first pitcher IIRC to successfully come back from labrunm surgery.

OnBaseMachine
06-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Meche has been pitching pretty well of late which is good new for other pitchers as he is really the first pitcher IIRC to successfully come back from labrunm surgery.

I thought Carpenter was the first to do it?

pedro
06-21-2006, 02:58 PM
I thought Carpenter was the first to do it?

don;t think so, but I could be wrong. I thought Carpenter had elbow problems.

beb30
06-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Sometimes I wonder where some of these trade ideas come from......

RedEye
06-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Kearns for Soriano and top prospect _____________________ (anyone able to fill in a name for me here?)

gm
06-21-2006, 06:16 PM
I'd look for a coach who knew Claussen back when he was coming up through the Yankee's farm system (heard the guy's name, can't remember it) and work that angle. Somebody who remembers how Brandon threw pre-surgery and still thinks a tweak or two will get him back on the beam.

Bingo: trading partner (and it only takes one...)

RedsMan3203
06-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Moyer has 10-5 and won't come to Cincinnati....

Moyer is out....

If we are going to fix our pen problem... its going to be within our farm system... Not trading...

WrongVerb
06-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Your target should be Washburn. He's pitched better than his record may indicate and he'd be an outstanding addition for the rest of the summer.

Patrick Bateman
06-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Your target should be Washburn. He's pitched better than his record may indicate and he'd be an outstanding addition for the rest of the summer.

Washburn has a pretty bad contract. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

dabvu2498
06-22-2006, 09:26 PM
If we are going to fix our pen problem... its going to be within our farm system... Not trading...
Or the more likely option: through free agency this winter.

Heath
06-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Or the more likely option: through free agency this winter.

Or do what Jim Bowden used to do - sign every available breathing middle-relievers and toss them in a pool at Spring Training.

Was it 2002 or 2003 that the Reds had 40 pitchers in camp?