PDA

View Full Version : So, the Mets look real good

M2
06-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I know they're from New York, which automatically causes some folks to hate them. And if you've been a Reds fan long enough there's some unpleasant history between the two franchises.

But the Mets look like the class of the NL at the moment. They can hit. They can run. They can field. They can pitch.

Though there's no way the Mets are going to stand pat before the trading deadline. If there's a 2B upgrade to be had, expect the Mets in on that. They probably also want a RH set-up man. Yet above all that, I'm guessing Omar Minaya would like a starting pitcher or two.

He's got Pedro and Glavine. Behind them, currently, are Alay Soler (a rookie), Steve Traschel (the quintessential #5 starter) and El Duque (who is brilliant, but doesn't have much left in his arm). Mike Pelfrey could blast his way to the majors this season, though he's probably not going to be ready until the latter half of 2007 -- at least ready to play a starring role for a contender.

I'm sure Minaya will be after guys like Tim Hudson over the next month. Yet is it also possible that he might be willing to take a chance on a guy like Eric Milton? The Reds can wait to see where the next three or four weeks take them, but Milton might be right up Minaya's alley and the Mets can afford to take on contracts.

I'm not a hard-bargain driver when it comes to Milton. Take his contract and give me Royce Ring and Henry Owens in return and I'd dance a jig. Also, any team that rolled the dice on Dave Williams has got to have warm feelings about Milton.

All I'm saying is, if the Reds decide to cash in Milton before the July 31 trade deadline I figure the Mets will be the team standing at the front of the line to get him.

Heath
06-21-2006, 03:39 PM
The Mets will do anything desparate to make the playoffs and get to a Series. They have "White Sox" envy - but unlike the Cubs that suck and the fans drink heavily to promote their team, the Yankees are a little formidable opponent when it comes to NY fans.

Met fans are interesting, but are actually quite knowledgable. I'd cheer for the Mets if they made the series.

But, these are the Mets. And you never know what dead end street they'll end up on.

If Milton's the answer to the Mets and we can get a couple of top prospects in tow - and the Reds DO NOT send cash to them, more power to the big Krivsky.

NJReds
06-21-2006, 03:41 PM
They need to nurse Pedro and Glavine (who have shown some signs of wear lately) through the season. The Mets playoff success depend on those two anchoring the staff.

Marc D
06-21-2006, 03:53 PM
What is the Mets farm system like on a scale of 1-10? If its an 8 or above then I might look at offering FeLo and Milton for the motherload.

oregonred
06-21-2006, 03:55 PM
But the Mets look like the class of the NL at the moment. They can hit. They can run. They can field. They can pitch.

And most importantly -- they can spend, spend, spend.

I think you are right on here, but I'm not sure what you could get in return? A month ago we'd all have jumped to simply get rid of half his contract, do we think we could get something of value in addiiton to moving 100% of the salary. As only one year remains after this season and the Reds are desperate for starters, I wouldn't give Milton away without getting something enticing in return -- or a second move where the $4M saved could fetch you something of value to help fill some rotation or pen holes.

With no #5 (let alone a #6 or #7 arm) to replace Claussen/Milton in site, you basically are giving up on a down NL season where 87-88 wins could easily find you in the playoffs.

Let's hope Milton finds some more June magic in his start vs. the Mets tomorrow.

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 04:00 PM
I don't hate the Mets, never have..I think Shea is a dump but in hating the mets or yankees it's easy to have a soft spot for the Mets :D

I agree, I think they roll over the rest of the NL right now, but I think 3 or 4 teams out of the AL would clobber them

What happened to the NL? :(

vaticanplum
06-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Met fans are interesting, but are actually quite knowledgable. I'd cheer for the Mets if they made the series.

What if they were playing Tampa Bay? :p:

To me the Mets are the current NL version of the Yankees: a collection of expensive parts that may or may not work as a whole. And Minaya strikes me more and more as a mini-Steinbrenner. So yes, I do think they'll do almost anything to win, but as far as "gelling" as a whole team, they haven't particularly endeared themselves to me yet. The White Sox managed to do that, with their misfits and underrated, underpaid players; the Red Sox probably would have done the same if I didn't root for the Yankees. The Mets still have a way to go for me personally.

15fan
06-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Milton is like Sean Casey was for the past 2 years.

Move him any time, any where, to any team.

The return doesn't matter at all.

Just move him.

M2
06-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Unless the Mets want to put Pelfrey on the table, Felipe Lopez isn't happening.

The Mets have Pelfrey and Lastings Milledge as their top two prospects. That's really good, but there's a step dropoff after them. Soler's interesting (former Cuban now holding his own in the majors). After them you've got to drop to high A for SP Michael Devaney or low A for OF Fernando Martinez.

Ring and Owens are minor league relievers who might be able to help out in the majors in the latter half of this year or perhaps in 2007.

Heath
06-21-2006, 04:14 PM
I don't hate the Mets, never have..I think Shea is a dump but in hating the mets or yankees it's easy to have a soft spot for the Mets :D

I agree, I think they roll over the rest of the NL right now, but I think 3 or 4 teams out of the AL would clobber them

I think Wrigley's a bigger dump than Shea - sorry vaticanplum- Wrigley just smells bad and the chain catch fence over the pieces of broken concrete on the lower deck isn't reassuring. Wrigley just reminds me of an old broken down frat house that has multiple bathrooms. The seats suck and are broken and there's the feeling of squashedness to the park.

I went to Shea last year, and it had a new paint job and mostly friendly ushers. The bathrooms were clean and actually looked like bathrooms. Its in the middle of big parking lots and a subway platform. The area around the lots isn't the greatest, but you might be able to get your car windows tinted and your wheel rims adjusted during the game :D

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Milton is like Sean Casey was for the past 2 years.

Move him any time, any where, to any team.

The return doesn't matter at all.

Just move him.
Agreed.

vaticanplum
06-21-2006, 04:22 PM
I think Wrigley's a bigger dump than Shea - sorry vaticanplum- Wrigley just smells bad and the chain catch fence over the pieces of broken concrete on the lower deck isn't reassuring. Wrigley just reminds me of an old broken down frat house that has multiple bathrooms. The seats suck and are broken and there's the feeling of squashedness to the park.

Did you just apologize to me for insulting Wrigley? If there is a line of people insulting Wrigley, I am at the front. I enjoy going to ballgames there because I get to see baseball a couple of blocks from my house, but it's kind of like dating a hobbit from a dating pool of elves. (note: I don't know from hobbits, so please someone correct the analogy if needed.)

edit: this is not entirely fair. I like Wrigley ok when the Cubs are losing, especially to the Reds. There's a quaintness about parts of it. But I like Shea too, utterly devoid of quaintness as it is. I like the apple and the psedo skyline and the airplanes flying around.

Heath
06-21-2006, 04:22 PM
What if they were playing Tampa Bay? :p:

If the Tampa Bay Devil Rays made the World Series, Will Smith will end up with Bruce Willis on the top of the White House.

Then God will call us all home.

Red Leader
06-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Well, they gave up Kazmir for Zambrano the last time they were in it...
They are capable of making bad deals.
Personally, I'd like to see a deal of Ring and Devaney for Milton and a little cash.

Heath
06-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Did you just apologize to me for insulting Wrigley? If there is a line of people insulting Wrigley, I am at the front. I enjoy going to ballgames there because I get to see baseball a couple of blocks from my house, but it's kind of like dating a hobbit from a dating pool of elves. (note: I don't know from hobbits, so please someone correct the analogy if needed.)

are you slamming dating short people??? Ozzie's permiating ALL Chicagoland residents!!!! :eek: :D ;)

(I couldn't resist, and I'm 6'5, so I am not short :D )

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Never been to Wrigley but it's not a triple or quad deck stadium, so that's a +

But..it is the cubs..so blow it up :D

Falls City Beer
06-21-2006, 05:01 PM
By the middle of July, Milton'll be worthless again. The weather's getting hot for good, and those warning track shots are going to be goners. He's going to have to go very soon, if he's going to go.

Marc D
06-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Unless the Mets want to put Pelfrey on the table, Felipe Lopez isn't happening.

The Mets have Pelfrey and Lastings Milledge as their top two prospects. That's really good, but there's a step dropoff after them. Soler's interesting (former Cuban now holding his own in the majors). After them you've got to drop to high A for SP Michael Devaney or low A for OF Fernando Martinez.

Ring and Owens are minor league relievers who might be able to help out in the majors in the latter half of this year or perhaps in 2007.

Would Pelfrey and Milledge be enough in your opinion? I ask because if we did felo and Milton we are essentially giving them the NL crown and legit shot at the WS.

Also, just wanted to mention Milton has added value going to Shea and its spacious OF. If I'm Kriv I am using that as a selling point above all others.

NJReds
06-21-2006, 05:40 PM
With Livan Hernandez looking awful lately, Milton moves up a spot on the "available" starters-with-a-pulse-list.

StillFunkyB
06-21-2006, 05:56 PM

Just went to Shea on Father's Day. It depends on what you are comparing Shea to, one of these new parks then yeah, but if you compare it to the likes of Wrigley, Old Cleveland Muni, etc... then it's not so bad.

Oh yeah, and that David Wright feller...stud.

M2
06-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Would Pelfrey and Milledge be enough in your opinion? I ask because if we did felo and Milton we are essentially giving them the NL crown and legit shot at the WS.

Also, just wanted to mention Milton has added value going to Shea and its spacious OF. If I'm Kriv I am using that as a selling point above all others.

My view is if FeLo's the target, you can demand Pelfrey, but you can't expect that much for Milton. You can certainly try, but I don't think other team's will pay a lot for him, certainly not a Milledge.

FWIW, I doubt FeLo's going to be shopped.

Chip R
06-22-2006, 02:19 AM
FWIW, I doubt FeLo's going to be shopped.

I wouldn't be so sure. You're probably right but there's a little voice in my head that says Wayne loves defense so much he's willing to part with FeLo if the price is right. Plus he's getting very expensive and Wayne probably figures that they can survive with Phillips at either 2nd or SS and perhaps swing a deal for a guy like Izturas. Or they can go with Freel and/or Aurilia.

buckeyenut
06-22-2006, 06:43 AM
I think NYM might have interest in Aurillia or Freel as well as Lopez. They need to plug that 2B hole somehow.

NJReds
06-22-2006, 09:45 AM
I think NYM might have interest in Aurillia or Freel as well as Lopez. They need to plug that 2B hole somehow.

I think Soriano will be there by or right after the All-Star Break.

smith288
06-22-2006, 09:53 AM
If Jose Valentin played against the Reds all year, I would say "What hole?"

NJReds
06-22-2006, 10:27 AM
If Jose Valentin played against the Reds all year, I would say "What hole?"

He's been on a tear since taking over the starting job. However, I think everyone knows that he'll come crashing down at some point.

GoReds
06-22-2006, 10:49 AM
I don't think Soriano's the answer for the Mets at 2nd. There's a reason he's in LF these days. The teams that are trying to trade for him are going after him as an outfielder, not a second baseman.

Which leads me to question why Felipe would draw interest at 2nd or anywhere else, for that matter. He's making a lot of errors at short, so I doubt he goes to any contender to play short, yet he's not be showcased at 2nd.

I doubt Krivsky has even thought about trading Felipe, although I think it would be smart.

flyer85
06-22-2006, 11:05 AM
I think the Mets starting rotation is a bit questionable but everything else seems to be solid.

pedro
06-22-2006, 01:54 PM
But do they feel good?

KronoRed
06-22-2006, 04:12 PM
But do they feel good?
I don't wanna know :help:

I would think if they traded for Soriano that they would put him in the OF

Jpup
06-22-2006, 04:17 PM
The Mets could use 2 outfielders and a 2nd baseman. The Reds could fill their voids and Mike Pelphrey would be a good return. He's going to be an ace someday. I would trade any of the Reds, except Dunn, for him. If it was FeLo, I would expect more to go along with him.

Nobody is going to trade for Eric Milton. It just ain't gonna happen.