PDA

View Full Version : FSN to broadcast 145 Reds games in 2007?

OnBaseMachine
06-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Wow. Great to hear.

Fox to do 145 games

Fox Sports Network/Ohio added 17 games to its Reds television schedule this year after the season started, but they are going nearly all-out next year.

Next season, according to a source inside Fox, broadcasters George Grande and Chris Welsh will be busy guys. FSN/Ohio plans televise 145 of the Reds' 162 games.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0621redsnotesweb.html

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 04:18 PM
:clap:

Just replace George and Chris and I'd give a WOOHOO :D

OnBaseMachine
06-21-2006, 04:20 PM
:) :cry: :thumbdown :mooner: :eek: :beerme: :bang: :eek: :p: :( :D :confused: :cool: :)

Sorry, had to get my post count off 6666.

Heath
06-21-2006, 04:21 PM
I'll have to be more selective.

Northern Ohio Reds fans - this might be your "out" - with the Indians on STO - FSN might actually make FSN Ohio Reds games all over Ohio.

Never know.

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 04:24 PM
:) :cry: :thumbdown :mooner: :eek: :beerme: :bang: :eek: :p: :( :D :confused: :cool: :)

Sorry, had to get my post count off 6666.
We understand

Good smiley use :D

Reds Fanatic
06-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Very good news. The next move they need to make is to broadcast games in high definition. That new network the Indians broadcast on shows all their games in high def. It would be nice if FSN could show the Reds games in HD.

paulrichjr
06-21-2006, 04:40 PM
I am just happy that for the first time EVER, I am able to watch the Reds on Fox Sports SOUTH. For some reason Fox Sports South is rebroadcasting all of the Reds games this year. It is really cool. The odd thing is that it doesn't show up on the schedule...I have Moxi and Media Center and neither one shows when the games will be on. I just realized this in the last couple of days. Most of the state of Tennessee is getting the Reds now...

savafan
06-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Here's a question. Since Pete Rose is forbidden from working in baseball, does that preclude him from working as an announcer as well? I think he and Welsh would make a decent broadcasting team.

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 04:58 PM
I think MLB would frown on it.

savafan
06-21-2006, 05:04 PM
I think MLB would frown on it.

Yeah, but they also frown on anyone who isn't the Yankees and Red Sox winning the World Series.

Heath
06-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Tom Seaver looks and sounded good - and he's a former Red - plus Ted Robinson's available - I'll take those two please.

WMR
06-21-2006, 06:33 PM
That would be sweet if Pete did some games. He'd be fascinating and insightful, I bet (haha).

Unassisted
06-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Here's a question. Since Pete Rose is forbidden from working in baseball, does that preclude him from working as an announcer as well? I think he and Welsh would make a decent broadcasting team.The radio announcers are employees of the Reds, but I don't know whether the same is true of the TV announcers. If the TV announcers get their paychecks from the Reds, then Pete's ban would preclude him getting that job.

cumberlandreds
06-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Great news!:thumbup:

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Yeah, but they also frown on anyone who isn't the Yankees and Red Sox winning the World Series.
They could frown on it and schedule us for Sunday nights opening again just to be mean ;)

Phil in BG
06-21-2006, 07:46 PM
I'll have to be more selective.

Northern Ohio Reds fans - this might be your "out" - with the Indians on STO - FSN might actually make FSN Ohio Reds games all over Ohio.

Never know.

I believe you're right. We are already getting all of the FSN- Ohio Reds games now. It's been great.

Mainspark
06-21-2006, 08:14 PM
For the first time in several years, those of us in Central Indiana are getting to watch Reds broadcasts this season on a non-premium cable channel, Fox Sports Midwest. Between 60 and 70 games, for the most part after the Pacers (whose games are also on Fox Sports Midwest) completed their season.
For a long time, perhaps dating back to the late '80s, those of us without dishes in this area rarely had access to Reds TV broadcasts. FSM didn't broadcast the Fox Sports Ohio games, and those on other channels (WGN, WTBS, even ESPN) were frequently blacked out. Even road games, for reasons never understood.
So we're enjoying (at times) the opportunity to finally see some games, at least those that haven't ended with bullpen disasters.
And I'm fairly certain that Pete is specifically forbidden from broadcasting MLB games in any fashion.

redsrule2500
06-21-2006, 11:26 PM
That's awesome, too bad they only added games until the All-Star break this year. (Besides Day games, like tomorrow)

toledodan
06-22-2006, 02:01 AM
thats great news. i bet grande has it in the contract that all reds-cards games are on TV.:D

Chip R
06-22-2006, 02:04 AM
What, they won't broadcast all the games? Cheap *&*@#%. ;)
Seriously, this is great news. Now if we can only get the Cards to make a job offer to GG. :pray:

toledodan
06-22-2006, 02:11 AM
That's awesome, too bad they only added games until the All-Star break this year. (Besides Day games, like tomorrow)

if the reds can hang around i don't see why the wouldn't add more in the second half.

baseballPAP
06-22-2006, 03:28 AM
For the first time in YEARS, I've seen about 80% of the games this year. I live about an hour and a half CLOSER to Cincy than to Cleveland, but always got the Indians (and the Cavaliers) over the Reds, meaning I got a few games on ESPN and the occasional rain delay coverage or afternoon game. It has been great!

I do have to agree about GG though...Welshie I can deal with, but the annoying guy running the pregame (I don't know his name because I can't manage to watch him...Jim Gray maybe?) and George's annoyingly Cardinals based comments and goodie-goodie boyscout routine are way past old. Of course....if you like to feel better...at least we don't have Joe Morgan!

Unassisted
06-22-2006, 10:58 AM
And I'm fairly certain that Pete is specifically forbidden from broadcasting MLB games in any fashion.MLB's ban can't force Fox not to use Pete as an announcer if he is their employee, unless it is written into their contract with MLB that people on the banned list are verboten in the booth. That may well be the case.

Fox pays MLB a lot of money and that gives Fox a lot of leverage. If they wanted to put Pete in the booth, they probably could twist arms at MLB and make it happen. Even so, it would be a major point of contention in Fox's relationship with the commissioner's office that would certainly be viewed as more trouble than it is worth. Plus, Fox would be saddled with an announcer who would be forbidden from having contact with any of the teams playing in the game. How effective could an announcer be under those conditions?

LoganBuck
06-22-2006, 02:19 PM
On Pete, I also am pretty sure that he is specifically forbidden from broadcasting. Pretty sure the way they enforce that is the old disclaimer that is read about "this broadcast being property of (insert team) and major league baseball. The accounts and descriptions must not be deseminated without the expressed written permission of (insert team) and major league baseball."

If Pete had a way around it to be a broadcaster in some capacity I am more than certain he would have taken that avenue.

Yachtzee
06-22-2006, 02:31 PM
On Pete, I also am pretty sure that he is specifically forbidden from broadcasting. Pretty sure the way they enforce that is the old disclaimer that is read about "this broadcast being property of (insert team) and major league baseball. The accounts and descriptions must not be deseminated without the expressed written permission of (insert team) and major league baseball."

If Pete had a way around it to be a broadcaster in some capacity I am more than certain he would have taken that avenue.

He could always do a pre- or post-game show called "Pete's Best Bets." :evil:

KronoRed
06-22-2006, 04:10 PM
He could always do a pre- or post-game show called "Pete's Best Bets." :evil:
MLB would love that :D

OnBaseMachine
07-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Sources: Reds near new TV deal
More games on FSN could mean higher payroll
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Reds may soon announce a new long-term television deal with Fox Sports Net which could have a major impact on next year's player payroll.

Two sources confirmed that FSN and the Reds have agreed to a deal that would increase the number of games shown on FSN from 100 to 145, and increase the rights fees FSN pays the Reds per game.

The new deal would kick in next season. The announcement could come as soon as next week. Major League Baseball still needs to approve the deal.

It is believed the Reds currently get about $5 million a year in rights fees from FSN, or about $50,000 per game.

A source said there will be a "substantial" increase in rights fees under the deal.

When asked about the agreement, Phil Castellini, the club's senior director of business operations, said, "We're working on it. We're not ready to announce anything right now."

Castellini confirmed that the deal calls for higher rights fees to show games, but declined to offer specifics.

Bob Castellini, the Reds chief executive officer, has said that his ownership group budgets to break even. A bump in revenue could lead to corresponding bump in payroll.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060719/SPT04/607190344/1071

Jpup
07-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Sources: Reds near new TV deal
More games on FSN could mean higher payroll
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Reds may soon announce a new long-term television deal with Fox Sports Net which could have a major impact on next year's player payroll.

Two sources confirmed that FSN and the Reds have agreed to a deal that would increase the number of games shown on FSN from 100 to 145, and increase the rights fees FSN pays the Reds per game.

The new deal would kick in next season. The announcement could come as soon as next week. Major League Baseball still needs to approve the deal.

It is believed the Reds currently get about $5 million a year in rights fees from FSN, or about $50,000 per game.

A source said there will be a "substantial" increase in rights fees under the deal.

When asked about the agreement, Phil Castellini, the club's senior director of business operations, said, "We're working on it. We're not ready to announce anything right now."

Castellini confirmed that the deal calls for higher rights fees to show games, but declined to offer specifics.

Bob Castellini, the Reds chief executive officer, has said that his ownership group budgets to break even. A bump in revenue could lead to corresponding bump in payroll.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060719/SPT04/607190344/1071

:clap: Now to use that money in the correct fashion and get Harang signed to a long term deal.

cumberlandreds
07-19-2006, 03:33 PM
I am glad to see this but I wish they would add more to this season while they are at it. Especially in September.

redsfan30
07-19-2006, 03:38 PM
I am glad to see this but I wish they would add more to this season while they are at it. Especially in September.
If they stay in contention, I'd bet they will.

Heath
07-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Referencing the point above about Pete and being a broadcaster.

Don't forget the Reds broadcasters are employed by Reds themselves, which is unique in sports. Normally they are employees of the flagship station the team uses.

Pete could be a broadcaster with the Reds. All the English teachers would reach for their earplugs when he spoke though.

KronoRed
07-19-2006, 05:01 PM
One day soon we'll look back on the time when all games wern't on TV and wonder what the heck was MLB waiting for.

Jpup
07-20-2006, 04:47 AM
One day soon we'll look back on the time when all games wern't on TV and wonder what the heck was MLB waiting for.

I can't wait for a 24 hour baseball channel. That would be great.:thumbup:

TeamBoone
07-21-2006, 10:14 PM

They already have.

LoganBuck
07-21-2006, 10:24 PM
TeamBoone, did I miss something or did they add more games again this year? I know they added alot of games in May and June, but I don't believe they really tweaked the second half much. Did they do so recently?

redsrule2500
07-21-2006, 11:14 PM
They haven't added any for post-all star break.

Too bad, I was used to every game being on TV!