PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Phillips, All Star?

M2
06-21-2006, 06:43 PM
So I'm watching Phillips of late and thinking how great it is that the Reds have such a dynamic player at 2B and suddenly it dawns on me, "Hey, maybe Brandon Phillips is having a good enough season to make the All-Star team."

Obviously Bronson Arroyo will be making the game, meaning the Reds will already be represented.

Chase Utley, deservedly so, will be the starting 2B. You've got to figure Dan Uggla will make the club as a backup since he's been on fire of late. Yet who else deserves a 2B in front of Phillips? Jeff Kent's on the shelf. Phillips really is the last man standing on that front. Craig Biggio could sneak in because he's Craig Biggio and his manager is in charge of picking the subs, but Phillips has been the better player this season.

Other positions could affect the chances of carrying two 2Bs. For instance, the NL pretty much has to carry four 3Bs - David Wright, Scott Rolen, Miguel Cabrera and Morgan Ensberg.

Jose Reyes and David Eckstein are sitting atop the SS voting list. Perhaps if Eckstein wins, Reyes could be left at home. After them, Edgar Renteria and Omar Vizquel are having good seasons, but no better than Phillips. Again, name recognition might be the trump card here, but the value of Phillips is, if you put him on the ASG roster, he's probably willing to play either 2B or SS. In essence he'd allow Garner to pile on the 3Bs and keep extra depth in the middle IF.

Anyway, I'm notionally in favor of Reds making the ASG and Phillips looks to be the second-best bet behind Arroyo. Plus, I really like Phillips and think he's been a great, if unheralded story this season. So I'm hoping he tears it up the next two weeks and gets onto the team.

Cyclone792
06-21-2006, 06:49 PM
I'd certainly be in favor of the following happening:

Brandon Phillips makes the NL All-Star team, strolls into the clubhouse and introduces himself to Phil Garner.

BP: Hey Phil, I can play shortstop if you need me there. Just let me know.
PG: Sounds good, Brandon.

We're now in the 7th inning, and Garner needs to get more guys in the game.

PG: Hey Brandon, still up to playing shortstop tonight?
BP: Put me in, I'm ready.

And then hopefully let the rest, as they say, be history ...

CTA513
06-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Hes not a big name player so he probably wont be chosen by the fans.

reds44
06-21-2006, 06:56 PM
He's not even on the ballot, so there is no way he is chosen by the fans. Hopefully Garner sees what he has done this year, and brings him along. IMO BP deserves it.

OnBaseMachine
06-21-2006, 06:56 PM
I think he is very deserving of being on the All-Star squad. He's 4th among all major league 2B in OPS, and is among the top defenders in baseball at 2B. Phillips along with Bronson Arroyo has been the biggest surprise of the year in this organization. When Phillips got off to his hot start the first two weeks or so, I thought that it was just a mirage. That slump in May only confirmed what I had thought - Phillips was returning to the player that got him traded - or so I thought, but he has since bounced back and hit like he did in April, and that has made me a believer in Brandon Phillips. I'm not sure if he will continue to OPS in the .830 range but .775-.800 is not out of the question, and that is very acceptable out of a 2B, especially one with his defensive abilities. One other big plus he brings to the table is his baserunning skills. You have to love that 14-for-14 stolen base success rate.

I love the thought of having Edwin Encarnacion at third, Brandon Phillips at SS, and Felipe Lopez at 2B for the next five years.

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 07:02 PM
He's an all star, I expect him to not go cause he's not well known and Garner will take a few Astros just to take them.

KronoRed
06-21-2006, 07:03 PM
I love the thought of having Edwin Encarnacion at third, Brandon Phillips at SS, and Felipe Lopez at 2B for the next five years.
Scott Boras won't allow Lopez to move or sign here for cheap..deal him now

;)

membengal
06-21-2006, 07:03 PM
I have been banging the Phillips for the ASG drum in the "who do you think should go to the ASG" thread in Live and will certainly take a moment here to note I again think him worthy of a spot. He has been damn solid, and, actually, a joy to watch play. He's my new favorite Red. His numbers are certainly solid enough that he has to at least be in the discussion when Garner picks the reserves...

oregonred
06-21-2006, 07:04 PM
One other big plus he brings to the table is his baserunning skills. You have to love that 14-for-14 stolen base success rate.

I love league minimum all-stars :thumbup:

As mentioned before -- the Arroyo and Phillips infusion into the Reds org has been a huge stopgap. The EdE + BP + Arroyo trio is quite an affordable and productive haul added to the club since 1H '05 -- makes up in large measure for a barren upper farm system

max venable
06-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Do you know how this all star voting thing works?

Matt700wlw
06-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Brandon Phillps, without question, deserves to be in the All Star game.

oneupper
06-21-2006, 11:31 PM
BP played like an All-Star tonight!!!!

pedro
06-22-2006, 12:21 AM
I really like BP but I'm just not that into the idea of guys that haven't even had a full year of success in the bigs getting the call for the AS game unless the fans vote them in.

reds44
06-22-2006, 12:21 AM
I really like BP but I'm just not that into the idea of guys that haven't even had a full year of success in the bigs getting the call for the AS game unless the fans vote them in.
Felipe did it last year.

pedro
06-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Felipe did it last year.

All Star games are expensive. IMO Fans generally don't want to pay a bunch of jack to see some first year guy from another city play.

I wouldn't.

reds44
06-22-2006, 12:28 AM
All Star games are expensive. IMO Fans generally don't want to pay a bunch of jack to see some first year guy from another city play.

I wouldn't.
As a knowledgeable baseball fan I would.

Going by your logic you don't think Dan Uggla should go. I want to see the guys having the best years play.

pedro
06-22-2006, 12:35 AM
As a knowledgeable baseball fan I would.

Going by your logic you don't think Dan Uggla should go. I want to see the guys having the best years play.

the exception being if there is no one else to select on a particular team or if someone is dong so well that you just can't leave them off. I don't think Phillips or Uggla really meet that criteria.

And no, I wouldn't particularily want to spend big money to see Dan Uggla play, even though he is having a good year...so far.

IMO, Chase Utley and Jeff Kent should get the call. guys with 265 career ab's don't really deserve to go to the AS game AFAIAC.

CTA513
06-22-2006, 12:37 AM
Do you know how this all star voting thing works?

Yes, fans vote for who they want to be an all-star.
Most fans dont know who Brandon Phillips is and arent going to vote for him.
His best chance to make the all-star game is if he gets picked by the manager of the NL team.

The all-star game is just a popularity contest and thats why you see guys get voted in for the game even if someone else is better.

reds44
06-22-2006, 12:38 AM
IMO, All-Star games shouldn't be about what you have done in this past, it should be what you have done this year. With Uggla and BP clearly having better years then Kent, they should go before him. Now if it is close and you want to give the benifit of the doubt to the guys who have been there and done that, ok then.

Yes, fans vote for who they want to be an all-star.
Most fans dont know who Brandon Phillips is and arent going to vote for him.
His best chance to make the all-star game is if he gets picked by the manager of the NL team.

The all-star game is just a popularity contest and thats why you see guys get voted in for the game even if someone else is better.
BP isn't even on the ballot is he? It doesn't matter if fans know who he is or not, if you aren't on the ballot you won't get voted it.

Gainesville Red
06-22-2006, 12:40 AM
He's got my vote. In fact he's gotten my vote 5 or 6 times. Unfortunetly, I think he'll probably need a few more than that.

I know it's cliche, and we routinely make fun of "knows how to play the game" and such, but he plays with a "passion" and I think it's fun to watch.

pedro
06-22-2006, 12:42 AM
IMO, All-Star games shouldn't be about what you have done in this past, it should be what you have done this year. With Uggla and BP clearly having better years then Kent, they should go before him. Now if it is close and you want to give the benifit of the doubt to the guys who have been there and done that, ok then.

BP isn't even on the ballot is he? It doesn't matter if fans know who he is or not, if you aren't on the ballot you won't get voted it.

Jeff Kent has good shot of going to the to the HOF and will probably have better stats than both those guys by the end of the year. I'd rather see him. If Phillips and Uggla can keep it up for few years good for them, but they ain't "stars" yet.

pedro
06-22-2006, 12:43 AM
although I didn't know Kent was hurt.

reds44
06-22-2006, 12:43 AM
Jeff Kent has good shot of going to the to the HOF and will probably have better stats than both those guys by the end of the year. I'd rather see him. If Phillips and Uggla can keep it up for few years good for them, but they ain't "stars" yet.
This year they are playing like "stars."

Griffey,Bonds, and probably Biggio are all future HOFers, should they go also?

pedro
06-22-2006, 12:45 AM
This year they are playing like "stars."

Griffey,Bonds, and probably Biggio are all future HOFers, should they go also?

nope, because they don't have comparable stats. Since Kent is hurt I guess Uggla gets the call. Doesn't mean I'd want to pay big $$ to see it.

I'd really rather see Bggio, whether he deserves it or not this year.

Phillips has had 200 good ab's. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

reds44
06-22-2006, 12:47 AM
nope, because they don't have comparable stats. Since Kent is hurt I guess Uggla gets the call. Doesn't mean I'd want to pay big $$ to see it.

I'd really rather see Bggio, whether he deserves it or not this year.

Phillips has had 200 good ab's. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Nobody is proclaiming BP to be a HOF, but his numbers this year are all-star worthy.

westofyou
06-22-2006, 12:54 AM
IMO, All-Star games shouldn't be about what you have done in this past, it should be what you have done this year. The Toby Harrah defense.

Aaron Gleeman covered this a few years ago on some other player, and was kind enough to type it out for me. (hooray for Google)

The original has to do with Harrah representing the Indians in the early 80's.

http://www.aarongleeman.com/2003_06_08_baseballblog_archive.html

James says:

"Let's review the facts: Toby Harrah plays in the major leagues for roughly 40 years, during which he clearly and unmistakably establishes that he is not an All-Star. George Brett, over a period of several years, establishes beyond any shadow of a doubt that he is an All-Star. Toby Harrah has a hot streak early in the year, on the strength of which he carries a .336 batting average into the All-Star break with 17 home runs and 45 RBI, while George Brett was stumbling along barely over .300 with only 10 homers. Nevertheless, the nation's baseball fans elect George Brett to the All-Star team, which strikes me as an act of abundant good sense, because everybody in the country knows that George Brett is a better ballplayer than Toby Harrah.

But what comes of this? Why do we have to put up, every All-Star season, with these asinine editorials about why is this guy on the All-Star team . . . Was there one of you out there who really thought that Toby Harrah became a .336 hitter? And if you didn't think that he was a .336 hitter, why did you think that he should have been on the All-Star team? Would you be happy if we scheduled an All-Mediocrities-Who-Had-Good-First-Halves Game? We could play it in Cleveland every year."

Shea Hillenbrand, Bill Mueller, and Preston Wilson can play in the All-Mediocrities Game. This year, though, maybe we should play it in Kansas City.

Caseyfan21
06-22-2006, 01:04 AM
I think the people having the best season should be the ones to go, no question. If it wasn't meant to be for the best players they might as well just pick the rosters before the season. Brandon Phillips deserves to be on the team. If he makes, though, I'd be shocked. I think Austin Kearns also has a good argumennt but I doubt he would make it. I would not be surprised to see Arroyo as the lone All Star rep for the Reds.

Reds1
06-22-2006, 01:18 AM
I wrote him and Ross as AS write in votes on all 25 of my ballots. Don't think he'll get voted in. LOL, but he deserves it. He's probably the Reds MVP next to Arroyo. I loved him coming up tonight in that key situation. So much more then our star Dunn. I love Dunn, but a key hit wasn't likely in that situation, but this is about BP and he rocks. LOL. Just had my Dunn frustration. Can we bunt the ball for a hit.

Chip R
06-22-2006, 02:12 AM
I think the people having the best season should be the ones to go, no question. If it wasn't meant to be for the best players they might as well just pick the rosters before the season. Brandon Phillips deserves to be on the team. If he makes, though, I'd be shocked. I think Austin Kearns also has a good argumennt but I doubt he would make it. I would not be surprised to see Arroyo as the lone All Star rep for the Reds.

I agree. I really don't care what a guy has done in the past. That's how you get guys who are injured and past their prime taking spots that belong to guys having good years. I love Jr. but I don't think he deserves to make the all star team this year. I think it's nice for guys who may be one hit wonders to make it to the game. It's something to remember for them and probably the highlight of their careers. Plus they want to participate unlike others who take it for granted.

SirFelixCat
06-22-2006, 06:53 AM
I agree. I really don't care what a guy has done in the past. That's how you get guys who are injured and past their prime taking spots that belong to guys having good years. I love Jr. but I don't think he deserves to make the all star team this year. I think it's nice for guys who may be one hit wonders to make it to the game. It's something to remember for them and probably the highlight of their careers. Plus they want to participate unlike others who take it for granted.

I agree 100% with this entire statement.

Arroyo, Ross and Phillips should all be in Pittsburgh for the ASG.

lollipopcurve
06-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Phillips may not make it this year -- and I hope he does -- but there will be years in the future he'll make it easily. He's for real.

Jpup
06-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Phillips has had a good 1st half so far, but I can't justify him making the team over Chase Utley or Dan Uggla.

His batting average will help him with the media and some of the coaches, but I can't see him making the club. He would be 3rd in line on my ballot. You have to realize that there will be, at least, 3 third basemen and, likely 3 shortstops on the team. That doesn't leave room for 3 second basemen. I think that Bill Hall, Edgar Rentaria, and Jose Reyes all deserve to go before Phillips.

With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing him make it, but I don't see that it's possible or even fair for those other guys who have had better years. When it comes to the All-Star game, I don't care who they are, the players who have had the best first half should go.

membengal
06-22-2006, 09:23 AM
He doesn't have to make it OVER Utley and Uggla...just in addition to them. There may be room for three 2b, and, if so, it should be Philips.

TRF
06-22-2006, 10:12 AM
I can make the case for Jr. He dserves to go because I WANT to see him there. And apparently a lot of other fans want to as well.

And that is no disrespect to any other NL OF. I just want to see Jr. I want him to participate in the Derby. I want him to drag Dunn to the festivities. I want him to ask that Dunn be in the derby. I want to see Jr. steal a HR from someone... preferrably a Yankee or Red Sox. I want to see him smiling at the AS Game, healthy, happy and in contention for a postseason appearance with the Reds.

It's what I want.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-22-2006, 11:00 AM

Agree and I think some are also forgetting that the winner gets homefield for the WS. I would rather have the players representing my league that are playing better right now.

pedro
06-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Agree and I think some are also forgetting that the winner gets homefield for the WS. I would rather have the players representing my league that are playing better right now.

yeah, I don't like that either. You'll just never convince me that a guy like David Ross deserves to get into the AS game based on 89 AB's.

reds44
06-22-2006, 01:00 PM
yeah, I don't like that either. You'll just never convince me that a guy like David Ross deserves to get into the AS game based on 89 AB's.
I don't think Ross should be in because he only has 89 AB's. BP has a much larger amount.