PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mays is pitching pretty good!

nick311reds
06-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Whats everyone's thought's of his performance through 4 innings. The bottom of the 4th spoke volumes about what this guy could possibly do and as of right now he's a massive improvement over Brandon Clausen. Once again, Krivsky is looking like a genius One man's trash is another's treasure..

reds44
06-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Let's not jinx it.

Boston Red
06-21-2006, 09:29 PM
The Red Sox succeeded earlier this week with a Royals retread. Why not the Reds?

nineworldseries
06-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Looking very shaky, but effective when it counts... those 4 innings could have been disastrous...

nick311reds
06-21-2006, 09:40 PM
I think that him getting out of trouble shows he's cool under pressure but then again this is only his first outing and its only the top of the 5th lets see how he does for the next 2 to 3 innings. So far Im very excited about this guy..

nick311reds
06-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Kearns should of caught that

nineworldseries
06-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Rut Roh. He's getting shelled in the 5th.

BamaRed
06-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Wow, Nady will swing at anything

nick311reds
06-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Houdini like is this one, outta the jam again..

Redhook
06-21-2006, 10:05 PM
10 baserunners in 5 innings = 2 runs

Mays looks extremely shaky to me, but he also seems to be lucky. He might be the guy that has a huge ERA, but gets alot of wins. Where someone like EZ pitches great and hardly ever wins.

nick311reds
06-21-2006, 10:07 PM
That inning was almost flawless, his curveball looks pretty dang good better than most on this team. hopefully he can go eight or more and we see standridge or coffey other than those guys I'd be nervous

nick311reds
06-21-2006, 10:08 PM
looks like mays is done. Now show us Standridge!

Dunner44
06-21-2006, 10:09 PM
He's pitched out of trouble well. He finally got a 1-2-3 in the 6th, and ended it off with his 5th K, which is good considering he had only 30 before tonight. He looked decent vs. Chicago as well after he first came in. Hope I get to see standridge now.

nick311reds
06-21-2006, 10:21 PM
No Standridge equals loss. Im begining to think Naron is an idiot

nick311reds
06-21-2006, 10:22 PM
I f*&^%$ hate hammond

VI_RedsFan
06-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Wow. Our bullpen really does suck.

Krivsky...it's time to make a move...NOW.

TeamBoone
06-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Kearns should of caught that

Kearns has caught pretty much anything hit in his direction all season so far... I forgive him.

oneupper
06-21-2006, 11:44 PM
Kearns has trouble catching balls running towards the gap/wall.

redsmetz
06-22-2006, 12:03 AM
I think Mays pitched fine tonight - I'll take not pretty and a quality start - if we can just get that BP not blowing it for the starters.

RedEye
06-22-2006, 12:04 AM
Whats everyone's thought's of his performance through 4 innings. The bottom of the 4th spoke volumes about what this guy could possibly do and as of right now he's a massive improvement over Brandon Clausen. Once again, Krivsky is looking like a genius One man's trash is another's treasure..

Three words: smoke and mirrors.

KoryMac5
06-22-2006, 12:19 AM

It's hard to use smoke and mirrors against a lineup that consists of Delgado, Beltran, and Wright. He looked much better than expected tonight and I thought he mixed his pitches well keeping the Mets hitters off balance. Will he win 17 games again, no but at this point he is a better option than what Claussen has been giving us.

redsupport
06-22-2006, 01:49 AM
mays did well

TeamBoone
06-22-2006, 02:15 AM

Who knows... a change of scenery may be all he needed. That, and a little more time since his surgery.

kheidg-
06-22-2006, 02:21 AM
Mays pitched well tonight, don't think this is going to become a trend. Once Claussen is back he should retake the spot in the rotation.

NJReds
06-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Rut Roh. He's getting shelled in the 5th.

Except that Kearns missed a ball that he should have caught, and the Reds should've turned a double play before Wright's double. Our defense gave the Mets five outs in the fifth.

I will say this for Mays. He really buckled down when there were jams and avoided the "big inning". He got ahead of hitters and did all of the things that Claussen hasn't been doing lately.

I'm not saying that I have a lot of faith in this guy, because his recent history is awful. But at least for one night he did a decent job.

redsupport
06-22-2006, 11:55 AM
he pitched well, he escaped trouble adroitly

dunner13
06-22-2006, 12:17 PM
I believe I had read that while in the minors mays worked alot with ted powers and they worked on his mechanics and believed they fixed alot of things. I think he said his fastball wasnt sinking before and he had gotten it back to sinking like it had in the years he had been successful. So hopefully he has turned it around and take over that 5th spot in the rotation, put claussen in the pen and in my opinion you strengthen the rotation and the pen at the same time. Assuming that mays has turned it around.

redsupport
06-22-2006, 12:54 PM
welcome, a great inaugural post, this is a great board

jimbo
06-22-2006, 01:17 PM
I'm not ready to say that Mays is the answer at the 5th starter position, but I really liked how he pitched last night. That is one of the best all-around balanced lineups in baseball that the Mets put out and it was on their field, which is a hostile place to play. He showed a lot of grit and heart, which impressed me more than anything he threw. Hopefully he gives us that consistant effort everytime.

I don't like the idea of Claussen in the pen, but he can't be much worse than what's already there.

Redhook
06-22-2006, 01:31 PM
As much as I loved the fact that he pitched 6 innings last night giving up only 2 runs, in my mind, I don't see this lasting. Here's why: he allowed 8 hits and 2 BB's over 6 innings despite a perfect 6th. So his WHIP for the first 5 innings was 2.0...that's awful. I will give him credit for pitching great to get out of some jams, but there's no way you can consistently pitch well with a WHIP approaching 2.0. At multiple times last night, he was one pitch away from giving up alot more runs. He seemed to be walking a tight rope out there. I don't think his 'stuff' is very good and I doubt it'll improve much. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but I think the real Joe Mays will show up soon and we'll be anticipating Claussen's return from his mind-clearing vacation(I'm still crossing my fingers that we'll have a new starter via a trade before then).

Handofdeath
06-22-2006, 01:31 PM
I don't like the idea of Claussen in the pen, but he can't be much worse than what's already there.

His career ERA is worse than most of the bullpen. So, yes he can.

jimbo
06-22-2006, 01:55 PM
As much as I loved the fact that he pitched 6 innings last night giving up only 2 runs, in my mind, I don't see this lasting. Here's why: he allowed 8 hits and 2 BB's over 6 innings despite a perfect 6th. So his WHIP for the first 5 innings was 2.0...that's awful. I will give him credit for pitching great to get out of some jams, but there's no way you can consistently pitch well with a WHIP approaching 2.0. At multiple times last night, he was one pitch away from giving up alot more runs. He seemed to be walking a tight rope out there. I don't think his 'stuff' is very good and I doubt it'll improve much. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but I think the real Joe Mays will show up soon and we'll be anticipating Claussen's return from his mind-clearing vacation(I'm still crossing my fingers that we'll have a new starter via a trade before then).

I agree with pretty much everything you say, but the reason I why I am optimistic is because he was facing one of the best lineups in baseball on their field. You are correct though, he will not be successful over the longhaul if his WHIP remains that high.

Falls City Beer
06-22-2006, 01:58 PM
welcome, a great inaugural post, this is a great board

I don't know; the presence of anaphora and asyndeton was enervating.

redsupport
06-22-2006, 02:15 PM
do you think hammonds performance is worthy of objurgation or perhaps even billingsgate?

Falls City Beer
06-22-2006, 02:19 PM
do you think hammonds performance is worthy of objurgation or perhaps even billingsgate?

Certainly raillery. Perhaps his act was a scrofulous burlesque of efficaciousness.

Falls City Beer
06-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Rick White deserves an entire broadside dedicated to his badinage.

redsupport
06-22-2006, 02:24 PM
actually, his attempt at an "offspeed" pitch is dependent upon his having speed in the first place. Actually if he were the subject of a pasquinade or feuilliton, then I would have some interest in his performance

redsupport
06-22-2006, 02:31 PM
by the way, who is the pulchritudinous visage appearing on your post logo?

Falls City Beer
06-22-2006, 02:39 PM
La belle dame sans merci is Sarah Silverman.

redsupport
06-22-2006, 02:45 PM
are you cognizant of the daunting statistic, I am 9,634 posts behind your eminence

Falls City Beer
06-22-2006, 04:10 PM
are you cognizant of the daunting statistic, I am 9,634 posts behind your eminence

This is not true. Several of your unattributed philippics litter the archives of this august site.

KronoRed
06-22-2006, 04:18 PM
What's with all these big words in here? :D

redsupport
06-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Was that true panegyric on your part, or insidious fulsome insincere, bathos?

crazybob60
06-22-2006, 07:03 PM
I believe I had read that while in the minors mays worked alot with ted powers and they worked on his mechanics and believed they fixed alot of things. I think he said his fastball wasnt sinking before and he had gotten it back to sinking like it had in the years he had been successful. So hopefully he has turned it around and take over that 5th spot in the rotation, put claussen in the pen and in my opinion you strengthen the rotation and the pen at the same time. Assuming that mays has turned it around.

you are correct there, because I read this as well, and I believe that Hume had talked to Powers about this such thing so they could continue working on this or something to that effect.

I believe Mays could be a nice stopgap until a trade or another move is made...I think also reuniting him with Milton or maybe vice versa is also another great move.

wheels
06-22-2006, 07:11 PM
What in heck happened in this thread?

Falls City Beer
06-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Was that true panegyric on your part, or insidious fulsome insincere, bathos?

I have a commonplace book full of ballades, ghazals, Anacreontics, acrostics, sonnet crowns, and several hundred cyhydded naw ban lines written for your coronation.

redsupport
06-23-2006, 02:03 AM
ghazal, and anacreon the great greek poet, approve but I am stymied by cyhydded, too recondite or abstruse for moi

KronoRed
06-23-2006, 02:49 AM
What in heck happened in this thread?
English Majors attack

Falls City Beer
06-23-2006, 10:45 AM
English Majors attack

Working with great frustration at writing quantitative verse in English. The Germanic tongues refuse it!!!

Perhaps I should try Old Church Slavonic?

wheels
06-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Working with great frustration at writing quantitative verse in English. The Germanic tongues refuse it!!!

Perhaps I should try Old Church Slavonic?

That would rock.

Falls City Beer
06-23-2006, 07:29 PM
That would rock.

Would you care to pick up where we left off last time, in our discussion of Skeltonics?

redsupport
06-24-2006, 12:05 AM
is skeltonics a derivative subcult delineated in the manual "Subcults, I have Known" by Skeeter Barnes

Falls City Beer
06-24-2006, 12:16 AM
is skeltonics a derivative subcult delineated in the manual "Subcults, I have Known" by Skeeter Barnes

John Skelton prefigured Ben Hayes.

Falls City Beer
06-24-2006, 12:23 AM
By the way, I find the anodyne banality of your handle, "redsupport," to be the sine qua non of wit and understatement.

redsupport
06-24-2006, 01:17 AM
well given the history of posting bowlderizing , the unexpurgated form of narrative having been negative requested ad infinitum, a more ph neutral conconction may be more palatable. What are your thoughts?

vaticanplum
06-24-2006, 03:06 AM
oh yeah, freaking palate away, kids.

i will translate for mysefl: oh dude your girl's hot who is she, she is sarah silverman, wow you must be smarter than me you say a lot more, liar liar pants on fire you've been talking your mouyth off, you making fun of me or do you really think i'm cute, no dude i really mean it i can back it up with fancy words, oh you flatter me you crazy, whoa you guys are smart, well we can speak in a differne language, sweet dude [then names I don't know except skeeter banres], by the way dude your name rocks, you're a funny dude with your all in-your-face "redsupport", well maybe since everybody likes the short talk i should make it easier to understnad. less understated. Or something.

Now that took about seven whole minutes of work but I did enjoy your conversation. What I could understand of it.

Anyway I'm sleepy and i'm going to bed, but I still am not convinced that joe mays is going to be pitching pretty good for pretty long.

vaticanplum
06-24-2006, 03:08 AM
PS and Ian Curtis is the best -looking avatar on this thread.

Falls City Beer
06-24-2006, 10:52 AM
well given the history of posting bowlderizing , the unexpurgated form of narrative having been negative requested ad infinitum, a more ph neutral conconction may be more palatable. What are your thoughts?

I find your work to be akin to that of Andrew Marvell's in his splendid "Second Advice to a Painter for Drawing the History of our Naval Busynesse. In Imitation of Edmund Waller." Your mock-panegyrics of the Reds are the stuff of ubi-sunt verse.

redsupport
06-24-2006, 11:35 AM
your prosody is sui generis,euphonic and mellifluous, why even the curmudgeon critic, former first rounder Pat Osburn has opined positively on the hexameter inherent in the brilliant verse

redsupport
06-24-2006, 11:41 AM
by the way the devastatingly, didactic, discursive, doggerrel of Skelton leads me to query, why did the Tudor satirist prefer ben Hayes. Did he detect some irreverance in Hayes' flaunting of the convention of trying to retire batsmen?