PDA

View Full Version : Ballparks you've been to... and experiences

redsin2006
06-21-2006, 11:49 PM
One thing that I love is going to ballparks in other cities to mingle with the local fans and compare their park/venue with what we're used to in Cinti.

Take a minute to brag about the towns/parks you've been to and some experiences you've had.

RedEye
06-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Miller Park in Milwaukee is actually really nice. Not sure what kind or rep it gets, but I've had a great time every time I've gone there. Much more of a cohesive feel than GAB, although I like that place, too (save the gaudy smokestacks).

Caseyfan21
06-22-2006, 12:09 AM
I should hopefully get to my first game here in Phoenix, AZ at Chase Field sometime in the next week, a full review will follow.

As for ones I have been to:
1.) Jacobs Field
2.) PNC Park
3.) Comerica Park
4.) Skydome (tour, not a game)
5.) Fenway (tour, not a game)

Of the ones I've been to Comerica is probably my favorite. The fans there were great and I loved all the variety they had to offer in food, entertainment, and seating. All around great atmosphere and a Montgomery Inn out in centerfield to boot.

redsin2006
06-22-2006, 12:11 AM
I went to Miller last April and saw the Reds get clobbered by about 14 runs. I wasn't that crazy about the park but I did like the food and service. You didn't miss much of the game getting something to eat in Milwaukee, that's for sure.

As for Milwaukee the city, it's a very nice town and the public transportation was good too. I stayed at the Holiday Inn (airport) and had no trouble at all getting to the game, Bradley center (for a minor league hockey playoff game between the Adimirals and Cinti Ducks) and then back to the Inn.

Gainesville Red
06-22-2006, 12:13 AM
SBC or ATT or PAC Bell or whatever they're calling it now in San Fran is freakin awesome. I know people say that PNC is the best, but I seriously can't see how there could be a better baseball experience than Pac bell. I was there to see the Reds last 4th of July. A sunny, drunken day. A nice breeze comes off of the bay, sailboats all over place, freindly fans of the opposing team. Griffey and Wily Mo hit homers if I recall, the Lizard out-pitched Kurt Reuter for a Reds win. Afterwards I went to the Cheesecake Factory and found the most of the Reds at the bar. All very cordial and having a blast. The only one that wasn't chatty was Valentin, who was more focused on a huge steak than I've ever seen anyone focused on anything before. Hell of a good weekend.

Boston Red
06-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Tiger Stadium, Old Commiskey, New Commisky, Dodger Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, Kauffman Stadium, County Stadium, Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, Turner Field, Camden Yard, Busch Stadium (old), Municipal Stadium, and Jacobs Field (and of course the two Cincinnati parks).

Wrigley is my favorite of the bunch. Jacobs is my favorite of the "new" parks. Old Commiskey and Tiger were tied for the biggest dumps (though it was fun to watch a game in those old spots). Come to think of it, all things considered Riverfront Stadium is probably the worst MLB park I've ever been to.

ghettochild
06-22-2006, 12:16 AM
GABP is an awesome ballpark
minute maid is pretty sweet
old busch had the good ole cinergy feel too it
riverfront was nice, lots of good memories
ballpark in arlington is a really good social even ballpark. just to go watch some baseball, its really nice.
dayton park is really nice, although too crowded for my taste (i was squashed)
the indianapolis triple-a park is a really good ballpark to go watch a minor league game at. the lawn seating is really awesome.

indyred
06-22-2006, 12:43 AM
here is a great thread on this.
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34204&highlight=metrodome

redsin2006
06-22-2006, 02:21 AM
Boston
You got me beat

Yankee stadium was one of my favorites. I sat in the rightfield stands on a sat afternoon, and the fans were relentless. Kids, moms, priests, everyone was ripping on the mariners right fielder (1996) and in all the ballparks I've been to, nothing compares to the nastiness of the bronx, and their fans.

flynn78
06-22-2006, 03:42 AM
Riverfront/Cinergy- great memories, but dilapidated at the end
Pac Bell- unreal, best ballpark I have been to, down to the food and all
Qualcomm (San Diego)- run of the mill old school donut, a little better than the Eastern versions but not much
Wrigley- It was everything they say. Had a great time. Even saw a win where Jason LaRue hit 2 HR!
Dayton 5/3 Field- Great minor league park. It has all the bells and whistle that a top minor league park should have
Columbus (Cooper Stadium)- Just awful. In a bad part of town and just a bad place to watch a game.
GABP- I love the new park. It may have some little problems, small concourses etc.., but I think it is a stadium we can be proud of.

StillFunkyB
06-22-2006, 06:20 AM
Parks I have been to:

Old Cleveland Muni
Jacobs Field
Riverfront
GAB
New Busch
Dolphins Stadium
Yankee Stadium
Shea

I really liked the new Busch in St. Louis. I didn't like the fact that I had to be there on a day when Dave Williams was pitching for the Reds.

Yankee Stadium was pretty fun. The bleacher creatures, as they are called, out in right field do a "roll call" where they chant the players name until said player acknowledges (sp?) them. I thought that was pretty cool. There were more people there watching BP then I had seen in a long time. Monument park was fun as well, your right down there before the game and the let you stand right behind the fence during BP etc. There is quite a few "team shops" outside the stadium. They had this T-Shirt that I almost purchased that said "Hey Boston, there was no curse, your team just sucked for 86 years". However, I felt that would make me look like a Yankee fan if I wore it so I didn't buy it. Now if they came up with one like that for the Cubs, then I would be all over it. Then again, people would probably think I am a Cardinal fan.

Heath
06-22-2006, 07:21 AM
It is about time for the yearly ballpark countdown, along with the obligatory Gold Star vs. Skyline thread (which someone always hijacks and says Empress :D )

Anyway - besides the GABP & Riverfront - Major league wise I have been to Wrigley, Miller, Comiskey II, Tiger & Comerica, Municipal & Jacobs, PNC, Yankee & Shea.

Minor Leagues - Dayton, Columbus, Toledo (old), Akron, Indianapolis (old & new), Greenville, SC, Asheville NC, Louisville (old), and Richmond, IN.

I think that's it, but it's early and the coffee hasn't kicked in.

dabvu2498
06-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Parks I've been to: Riverfront, Old Busch, Tiger, Old Comisky, New Comisky, Wrigley, Milwaukee County, 3 Rivers, Veterans, Mile High, Memorial (Baltimore), Cleveland Municipal, Jacobs, GABP, Fenway, PNC.

Minor leages: Columbus, Toledo (old and new), Louisville (old and new), Thrurman Munson (Canton), Lexington, Savannah GA, Colorado Springs, Dayton, Richmond, Chillicothe, Indianapolis, Old Chattanooga, Old Knoxville, Nashville, Birmingham, Montgomery, Mobile, Old Durham, Charlotte.

College parks: Dayton, Xavier, Miami, Wright State, Cincinnati, Ohio St., Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Miss St., LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn, Texas, Belmont, Lipscomb, Western KY, some more I can't remember for sure... and Rosenblatt

Fav major league: Fenway
Fav minor league: Dayton
Least fav major: Cleveland Municipal
Least fav minor league: Old Toledo
Fav college: Miss St.
Least fav college: Kentucky
Fav anywhere: Rosenblatt.

I keep thinking of new ones and adding them.

dfs
06-22-2006, 08:30 AM
I had some nice times in Wrigely field, but if you ever get the chance to go see the lookouts. Go.

Z-Fly
06-22-2006, 08:47 AM
This is an intresting topic for me. My goal in life is to visit a ball park in every major league city. These are the ones I have been to so far. I am not jokeing that so far my favorite was Tropicana. I honestly was not all the impressed with wrigley field. I have been there several differnt times. I hated Pro player stadium. This summer I plan to visit Turner field and also the new Bush field. I am only 21 and I think I am well on my way to my goal.

1) Tropicana
2) Jacobs Field
3) GABP
4) Wrigley
5) Old Bush
6) Camden Yards
7) Riverfront
8) Pro Player Stadium

MississippiRed
06-22-2006, 09:09 AM
I don't get to too many parks from here in Mississippi. I have been to

Riverfront back in the 80's. (Saw the Reds win a couple of games there.)
Turner field in maybe 2002. It was Adam Dunn's first game. Another Reds win.
Wrigley field when Sosa was playing for the Cubs in maybe 1999 or 2000. A friend and I were in the area on business. The most remarkable thing about that visit was that one guy and about 7 gorgeous women came and sat about 2 rows in front of us. The women were so pretty the only way I could reconcile it in my mind is that he was the photographer. Excellent memory.

We have a great college baseball park here on campus at Miss. State Univ. Any of you who are in the area, look me up and I'll show you around.

redsmetz
06-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Major League Parks I've been to:

Crosley Field, Riverfront/Cinergy, GABP
Wrigley Field - great access via the EL
Busch Stadium - the fans there put us to shame in recent years and because it wasn't cut off from the city, great in and out access
Camden Yard - I wrote about this earlier this season
Coors Field - Didn't see a game there, but took a tour in 1999

The ones I've seen, but never got to a game at:

Tigers Stadium, U.S. Cellular (ugh, hate that name), Three Rivers Stadium, Dodgers Stadium, Candlestick Park, RFK Stadium (DC), Kauffman Stadium (KC).

Minor league parks: Louisville (both parks), Lexington, Dayton, Columbus, Indianapolis (new park), Rockford (then a Royals team - just after Johnny Damon had moved up), Chillicothe (Frontier League), Scottsdale Stadium (Arizona Fall League). We've passed the minor league park in Washington, PA which looks like a nice park. We also saw The Brickyard at Oklahoma City with a nice statue of Mickey Mantle, as I recall.

Doubleday Field in Cooperstown, NY

Professional Softball Park - Ross Park, St. Bernard, Ohio - Cincinnati Suds (the APSPL franchise).

timmario66
06-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Professional Softball Park - Ross Park, St. Bernard, Ohio - Cincinnati Suds (the APSPL franchise).

Oh the memories of spending the weekends watching the Suds as a kid growing up in St. Bernard. Black Ronnie, Hal Ward, Jim Tuttle, and the rest of the gang. If you remember the games being broadcast, I was the kid sitting underneath the announcers booth behind home plate.

I play there every Tuesday night and have for the last 18 years. Probably still one of the best fields in the city.

markymark69
06-22-2006, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=Gainesville Red]SBC or ATT or PAC Bell or whatever they're calling it now in San Fran is freakin awesome.

I agree, I was there a few years back (at the time) it was in its second year of existence so the newness was still very much there. Great atmosphere.

I have also been to OLd Busch Stadium and Atlanta Fulton CO. Stadium. Old BUsch was nice and you have to give it to St. LOuis fans, very knowledgeable, enjoyed it.

Fulton CO. --- this was before the Braves were any good so there was only about 10,000 fans there.

Obviously been to both Riverfront/Cinergy and GAPB, always great to come and watch the Reds play.

Minor LEague Parks --- Cooper Stadium in Columbus. Had a good time, good experience except for the Cowbells. VA Memorial Stadium in Chillicothe for a Frontier League Game and Stump BEnnett Park in Parkersburg, WV (former Ohio Valley Redcoats) --- small park, very-hitter friendly although not the night I was there.

timmario66
06-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Parks visited besides the Cincinnati parks:

Wrigley - loved the bleachers, drank too much Old Style there in my younger days. Probably seen 7-8 games there. Love the charm and the area around the park.

Camden - been there 4-5 times, love that you can buy food from different vendors surrounding the ballpark and bring it in. Has great sightlines from the lower level.

Turner - for a being a big stadium has an intimate feel.

Ballpark at Arlington - way too big with lots of wasted space, my least favorite of the new parks

Safeco - great stadium, was there when it started to rain and had the roof close during the game.

Tiger Stadium - probably my favorite, it was amazing how close you could get to the field, you could feel the ghosts that got to play there. Looked like a ship from the outside

Jacobs Field - liked it a lot unless you're in the upper deck then it seems like the players are ants

Yankee Stadium - in the bleachers for Red Sox game 9/9/01. Surreal considering what happened two days later. Love the atmosphere. Wasn't as bad as it probably would be now for Red Sox game. Almost caught a batting glove thrown by Joe Oliver. Didn't like you couldn't go anywhere else in the stadium from the bleachers.

beb30
06-22-2006, 10:24 AM
1) Busch Stadium (new) - Only negative i saw was the 1st base line outside the stadium where players park is kind of boring not to mention highway next to it. The arch is an awesome view from inside along with the St. Louis skyline

2) Comerica Park - Pretty nice, has a carnival inside of it basically

3) Cinergy - cookie cutter, but actually pretty nice after they tore down the outfield

4) Great American - Of all the new parks this one ranks last......

5) Camden Yards - Baltimore's Harbor is unreal, and adding a beauty like this is great

6) Wrigley Field - Got to love the old atmosphere

7) Yankee Stadium - That yankee mystique, its amazing in NY

8) Fenway Park - Much like Wrigley, Got to love the old atmosphere

9) Tropicana Field - probably the worst among all I've been to

10) PNC Park - Probably the best out of what I've been to, not to mention griffey threw a ball to me and my friends twice

11) Citizens Bank Park - Really nice here as well, cool layout in philly where all 4 stadiums are in a square basically

12) Safeco Field - Also one of my favorites, really well done.

13) Miller Park - Retractable roof and the slide are pretty neat, but the brewers are a pretty boring team to watch, thankfully they were playing the reds

14) Jacob's Field - My first park outside of Cincinnati I visted, I loved it

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-22-2006, 01:21 PM
I'll rank the parks I've been to, including the surrounding environment, which lends a lot to a day at the ballpark:

1. Coors Field, Denver - Simply the best. Since living out here I've already gone to about 7 or 8 games this year (including a dreadful 3-0 Reds loss). The park's architecture is so visually appealing; the mountain-esque landscaping in the bullpens and beyond the centerfield wall is beautiful; watching a game from the Rockpile is fun; and the pubs and restauarants surrounding the park in LoDo are inviting before and after the game. (This latest point is where I think Cincinnati really drops the ball.)

2. PNC Park, Pittsburgh - Hate the city, despise the Steelers, but this baseball park sure is fun to watch the visiting team win in. Not much to do around the park or in downtown Pittsburgh, but architecturally it's beautiful.

3. Wrigley Field, Chicago - Great atmosphere, even on non-game days. The Cubs and their fans can be oh-so-annoying on the road but for some reason they seem more tolerable here. The views from the upper concourse toward the lake are striking on a clear day. The train rumbling past adds to the flavor. Love the scoreboard and the buildings across the street. Interestingly enough, the only time for me at this park was an interleague game vs. the Indians in the late '90s when Cleveland was on fire and the Cubs were mediocre. The place was overrun by Tribe fans with Chief Wahoo flags everywhere, including draped from several buildings across Waveland. And a Cubs player even had one of his own HR balls thrown back on the field. It was an interesting first game at Wrigley, to say the least.

4. Yankee Stadium, N.Y. - I always seem to get the Indians on the road and that was the case here when I saw Bartolo Colon pitch a perfect game vs. the Bombers into the 7th. Crowd wasn't too vicious. Sat in the bleachers in left center. Took the subway. Great N.Y.experience. And any park that Babe Ruth has batted in will always be special.

5. Jacobs Field, Cleveland - One of the earlier "new" parks and they did it right. Great sight lines from throughout the park. I like Jacobs' upper deck, a great place to watch a game.

6. Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles - Clean, neat, celebrates the game. I have seen a couple of games here, including a "Freeway Series" game vs. Anaheim, and from what I can tell the fans are more into the game than TV announcers always criticize them for - arriving late, leaving early and all that.

7. GABP, Cincinnati - It's nice, but you get the feeling that it could have been so much better. I was a big Broadway Commons backer. Not impressed at all with the lackluster view into Newport from the park, and the L&N Bridge (or whatever bridge that is) is visually uninteresting. The ballpark seems forced in its location. There's never much to do around the park before and after games, and walking to the park from east of that hideous arena can be a challenge. Inside, I hate the black building in centerfield and the patch of boring, slanted green turf in front of it. That area gets so much TV time due to the park's HR-friendly status and the Reds' HR-friendly bullpen and it doesn't look visually appealing at all. I don't mind the smokestacks. A big problem I have is the Great American corporate logo topping the scoreboard instead of the team logo, like all the other new parks feature.

8. Camden Yards, Baltimore - Went to my first game here earlier this month. The surrounding Inner Harbor area is awesome with so much to do...almost makes you want to skip the game or leave it early. The B&O railroad building and Eutaw Street are really nice, as are the markers on the street signifying where HR balls landed. The rest of the park was pretty standard and the atmosphere was a little dull, but maybe that's because I was at a Monday night game where barely 15,000 turned out for a sleepy shutout of Toronto.

9. Comerica Park, Detroit - The surrounding neighborhood, like much of Detroit, is a pit. Don't park too far away. The park itself is OK but nothing really stands out.

Defunct parks I've been to, in order:

1. Riverfront Stadium, Cincinnati - Don't care about its flaws. This will always be my first. I grew up with it.

2. Tiger Stadium, Detroit - Lots of character, short on amenities. Miserable area.

3. Municipal Stadium, Cleveland - Saw an Opening Day here...something like 80,000 fans for a 14-inning game vs. Boston.

4. Candlestick Park, San Francisco - I remember the cold wind and going through metal detectors to sit in the outfield bleachers.

5. Fulton Co. Stadium, Atlanta - Blah. Did see an Olympic baseball game here though - USA vs. Cuba. Fans did the tomahawk chop.

KittyDuran
06-22-2006, 02:41 PM
7. GABP, Cincinnati - It's nice, but you get the feeling that it could have been so much better. I was a big Broadway Commons backer. Not impressed at all with the lackluster view into Newport from the park, and the L&N Bridge (or whatever bridge that is) is visually uninteresting. The ballpark seems forced in its location. There's never much to do around the park before and after games, and walking to the park from east of that hideous arena can be a challenge. Inside, I hate the black building in centerfield and the patch of boring, slanted green turf in front of it. That area gets so much TV time due to the park's HR-friendly status and the Reds' HR-friendly bullpen and it doesn't look visually appealing at all. I don't mind the smokestacks. A big problem I have is the Great American corporate logo topping the scoreboard instead of the team logo, like all the other new parks feature.
just say you "hate it" and save your fingers...:laugh: and also include the second paragraph as the answer as to why you do...;)

indyred
06-22-2006, 05:34 PM
The PNC is the logo on top there giant scoreboard, similar to the Great American logo at GABP......doesn't bother me at all. I'm making my first trip to Cleveland for a game. Are there hotels within walking distance to Jacobs?

KittyDuran
06-22-2006, 05:43 PM
The PNC is the logo on top there giant scoreboard, similar to the Great American logo at GABP......doesn't bother me at all. I'm making my first trip to Cleveland for a game. Are there hotels within walking distance to Jacobs?Yes, but GOOD luck... neither I or deltachi could get a good room DT - as a matter of fact there were no rooms in some DT hotels. We ended up in the 'burbs. The Cleveland Grand Prix is this weekend.

redsfanva
06-22-2006, 05:54 PM
-Riverfront Stadium/Cinergy Field: First ballpark visited, good memories will always remember the place.
-Turner Field: Nice ballpark. Huge Videoboard. Worst Ushers ever.
-Skydome/Rogers Centre: Cool first retractable roof ballpark in a great city.
-Veterans Stadium: HUGE but nice even though most didnt like it.
-Camden Yards: Great setting, great ballpark, best part: Eutaw Street.
-Great American Ball Park: Red seats are great for a new ballpark. Makes it different.
-Comerica Park: Run down city, park near the stadium. Ok new ballpark.
-Jacobs Field: One of the best retro ballparks. Good setting.
-PNC Park: Best ballpark period. Cant beat the view.
-Busch Stadium (old): Best cookie cutter ballpark. Should have kept that place standing.
-Kauffman Stadium: Second best ballpark in baseball. Fountains awesome.
-Wrigley Field: Over-rated, but still cool b/c of the setting and age.
-Miller Park: Best retractable roof ballpark. Love the facade.
-US Cellular Field: Great ballpark. Could have a better location and a city view. Good organ music.
-RFK Stadium: Worst cookie cutter stadium ever. Bad city, bad location.
-Citizens Bank Park: Great city, cool ballpark. Check out Ashburn Alley in centerfield.
-Fenway Park: Best older ballpark. Better than Wrigley Field and Yankee Stadium. Setting is great and good atmospher inside.
-Yankee Stadium: Historical but has a 70s feel to it. Great sound system.
-Shea Stadium: I like it, different and good sound system.
-Busch Stadium (new): July 2006

crazybob60
06-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Jacobs Field -- Reds vs Indians a few years ago and was surprised to find out when we got there that it was the dual bobblehead giveaway game of Concepcion and Vizquel. A nice little treat and a nice stadium. Wasn't the best ever but by far wasn't the worst.

Tropicana Field -- Horrible, horrible ballpark in my opinion. And it seemed really really small from the inside although it looked fairly large from the outside. I saw the Royals take on the Devils Rays that evening, so you can imagine that affair. But we did get to see Jonny Gomes hit three homers in the game almost all of them being to the exact same spot in the ballpark. I believe out of 27 years of going to Reds games, that is the first time I have seen 3 homers hit by one player in a game.

I haven't been to that many stadiums, other than Riverfront and Great American, unless you want to count the time I took a tour of Wrigley Field although we didn't get to go to a game, I got to sit on the bench and go through the entire clubhouse and all the ins and outs of the park. But that is about it.

KittyDuran
06-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Jacobs Field -- Reds vs Indians a few years ago and was surprised to find out when we got there that it was the dual bobblehead giveaway game of Concepcion and Vizquel. A nice little treat and a nice stadium. Wasn't the best ever but by far wasn't the worst.
Ahh... I was there too! But the policy was one bobblehead per person - not ticket like at GABP. They stamped your hand to mark you. Stupid me, I bought two more tickets for a co-worker and RedInChicago but to no avail...:(

StillFunkyB
06-22-2006, 08:46 PM
This is an intresting topic for me. My goal in life is to visit a ball park in every major league city. These are the ones I have been to so far. I am not jokeing that so far my favorite was Tropicana. I honestly was not all the impressed with wrigley field. I have been there several differnt times. I hated Pro player stadium. This summer I plan to visit Turner field and also the new Bush field. I am only 21 and I think I am well on my way to my goal.

1) Tropicana
2) Jacobs Field
3) GABP
4) Wrigley
5) Old Bush
6) Camden Yards
7) Riverfront
8) Pro Player Stadium

Get a traveling job like me, and it will be much easier to reach your goal. :thumbup:

fisch11
06-22-2006, 08:55 PM
I was at Shea when I was younger (probably 12 years ago). I just remember it was the Reds and Mets and Reds were up big. Mets fans then broke out a "Yankees suck" chant! haha

vaticanplum
06-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Yankee Stadium - in the bleachers for Red Sox game 9/9/01. Surreal considering what happened two days later. Love the atmosphere. Wasn't as bad as it probably would be now for Red Sox game. Almost caught a batting glove thrown by Joe Oliver. Didn't like you couldn't go anywhere else in the stadium from the bleachers.

Oh my lord I was at that very game! that's crazy. And you're right, I never would have remembered the date of it had it not been for the events surrounding it.

Back then it was not very difficult to get tickets to Yankees-Sox games. Amazing how things change when the teams are both competitive. I wonder if, with today's media, that would change if one of them started to suck.

harangatang
06-22-2006, 10:38 PM
The only other MLB stadium I have been to outside of the 2 Cincinnati ballparks is Kauffmann Stadium. The first thing that struck me is the entire Truman Sports Complex parking lot. It was seriously so nice not having to fight all the streets in Cincinnati and various parking lots, much less confusing and easy access off I-435. The ballpark is very nice as someone else mentioned the fountains and even though the ballpark is a little older it is very well maintained. They actually had a promotion going that season that if the Royals got 12 hits in a game that everyone in the ballpark received a free dozen of Krispy Kreme doughnuts if you went to Krispy Kreme within like 2 days of the occurance. So the Royals had a one run lead in the ninth against Cleveland and alot of the fans were booing the Royals because they had 11 hits and they were hoping the Indians would tie it up so they had a chance to get their free doughnuts. So as I was laughing about that I saw everyone focusing their attention on center field and a streaker was running by Carlos Beltran in the outfield. The security guards were chasing after him and tackled the naked guy on the field. Not to mention all of this happened on dollar hotdog, dollar pop, and dollar something else night. Oh by the way the Royals won in that inning and alot of fans went home not having a ticket stub for their free dozen of doughnuts.

Chip R
06-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Kaufmann nee Royals Stadium was the first one I ever went to. Everything harangatang said about the stadium is true. The fountains and the grassy knolls in the OF make it really peaceful. It's a great place to watch a ballgame. I've also been to Busch II after they did the remodeling. It was a cookie cutter park but they really put a lot of effort into making it not look like one. I have also made the trip to Wrigley several times. I just think it's so cool you are walking down the street of a neighborhood and right in the middle of it is a baseball stadium. It's like someone just plopped it down in there. It is kind of dumpy but it is really cool. I like the fact that the El stops right by it.

pedro
06-22-2006, 11:48 PM
I been to the following parks.

Riverfront
Candlestick
Yankee
Oakland
Wrigley
Fenway
Fulton County
Turner Field
Old Comiskey
New Comiskey
Jacobs
Three Rivers

I'm hoping to make it to Seattle and SBC (SF) this year.

bucknutdet
06-23-2006, 11:18 AM
The Ballpark in Arlington is huge, like everything in TX & I am sure that is why it is so big. As for wasted space, I am not really sure about that. I thought it was nice probably been to 5 or 6 games there.

Shea was ok, seats were a bit uncomfortable and angled funny, but we had great seats both times (corporate). It's a pretty long train ride from Midtown though.

Yankee Stadium was nice, a bit dirty, but the history inside there is palpable. Expensive beer. The Indians put the worst hurtin' ever put on the Yanks, at home, the game I went to. It was like 22-3 or thereabouts.

GABP is nice, but it is too confined, seems crammed into the space, which it literally was. Concourses are much too small on the main level, esp. on the 1st base side. Good sight lines for the most part.

Riverfront- lots of nice memories, dollar dogs, but seats were pretty far from the playing surface. As has been said, cookie cutter.

westofyou
06-23-2006, 11:27 AM
GABP is nice, but it is too confined, seems crammed into the space, which it literally was.Spacious when compared to Pac Bell (or whatever they call it today)

bounty37h
06-23-2006, 12:22 PM
First big league stadium ever attended, Three Rivers, Aug 17, 1983. My 9'th birthday, parents drove me up to see the Reds, may have been Benchs last road homer that night?
2'nd, Tiger Stadium, last game 84 World Series. Caught a Gibson homer in BP, only to be robbed of it by an older guy who grabbed it out of my glove. He dropped his glasses when he did it, and I stepped on them on purpose since he stole my ball-my dad still laughs and shares that story.
Also been to numerous games at Fenway when I lived in RI for a year, my favorite baseball experience stadium so far. Yankee Stadium was neat once inside, lots of tradition, but what a dump otherwise. Old Fulton County St in Atl, and the new one, nothing special to me either one. Camden is a beautiful stadium, but has no baseball feel to me, I have been to about a 1/2 dozen games there, and just never felt the baseball spirit, maybe cause its the Orioles. A neat sideshow there however is the Babe Ruth museum, I went summer before last to the O's Mariners game, and decided to swing by the museum walking back to the hotel, and Julia Ruth Stevens happened to be there, what an amazing woman to talk to!!!
Also been to Doubleday, for the phantom Reds-Red Sox HOF Game during Benchs HOF induction weekend, but the Reds never made it out of Canada, so ended up Sox-PawSox scrimmage. Almost got a Bench homer from his BP/HR derby, but the security guard scolded me if I fell over the fence, he would remove me-he pocketed the ball and walked off :cry:
Been to many, many Minor league parks, esp here in North Carolina-have season ticket plan for the Durham Bulls. Been going to see them since the early 80's-got my first autograph there when my dad told me to go ask some old guy for his. I went down to where he was standing near the fence, but by the time I got down there, he was moving towards the dugout. Being a 3'rd grader, my dad told me to go get his auto, so I walked right through the gate, down into the dugout, and handed the guy a ball to sign. He laughed, and laughed, signed it, and grabbed me by the hand to carry me back up to my dad in the stands, shaking off the guards coming to get me. That Luke Appling ball still sits on my bookcase:) . I loved that old stadium-I was an extra in Bull Durham, went to kids camps there every summer, can still smell and hear every sound of that park, imagine the water running down the wall by the bathrooms on the first base-side, now that is baseball folks!! I even had a dream come true when I got to play a game there in high school. Sad it isnt being used now, just sits there abandonded, crumbling, hosts the annual beer festival yearly (which I do go to, grab a few drinks, and sit in the stands as if its the Field of Dreams). The new park is very nice, but has lost the old school baseball touch, but I still love to go. I am actually proposing to my girlfriend at next Friday night's game when they come back in town-fireworks night :beerme:
ALso been to Asheville, Asheboro (got to play there), Pawtucket (got to play there), Kinston NC (got to play there, tried out for the Indians there), Burlington (neat old stadium as well, got to play/tryouts there too), Oneota (sp?), Myrtle Beach, Wilmington.
I also go to Sring Training often, although I have missed the last 3 years now. My college ritual, while kids packed up by the dozens to go to Daytona, etc., I packed a tent and headed out by myself to tour the west coast of Fl, chasing the Reds around. I went to Plant City 6-7 years in a row at one point. When they moved to Sarasota, my dad went with me for a long weekend. Weird story about to follow!!! We got out of the camper at Ed Smith Stadium, and I felt overcome with an eery feeling, enough that I froze. My dad asked me waht was wrong, and I could only reply I had a funny feeling, felt like I had been there or something, and my dads jaw dropped. He pointed at a lot directly across the street, and said that is where your grandmother used to live, we brought you with us when she died, but you were 2, maybe 3 years old.
OK, nuff rambling folks, hope i havent bored any of you too much, prob my longest post ever anywhere!
sCOTT

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-27-2006, 02:09 AM
just say you "hate it" and save your fingers...:laugh: and also include the second paragraph as the answer as to why you do...;)

I don't have a problem admitting that is a reason why I am underwhelmed. It just doesn't fit into downtown like a park could have at Broadway, IMO. And that black monstrocity in center field. Why?

I do like the upper deck concourse and the all-red seats. Love the sun/moon deck also.

Blimpie
06-27-2006, 09:59 AM
Parks I've been to: Riverfront, Old Busch, Tiger, Old Comisky, New Comisky, Wrigley, Milwaukee County, 3 Rivers, Veterans, Mile High, Memorial (Baltimore), Cleveland Municipal, Jacobs, GABP, Fenway, PNC.

Minor leages: Columbus, Toledo (old and new), Louisville (old and new), Thrurman Munson (Canton), Lexington, Savannah GA, Colorado Springs, Dayton, Richmond, Chillicothe, Indianapolis, Old Chattanooga, Old Knoxville, Nashville, Birmingham, Montgomery, Mobile, Old Durham, Charlotte.

College parks: Dayton, Xavier, Miami, Wright State, Cincinnati, Ohio St., Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Miss St., LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn, Texas, Belmont, Lipscomb, Western KY, some more I can't remember for sure... and Rosenblatt

Fav major league: Fenway
Fav minor league: Dayton
Least fav major: Cleveland Municipal
Least fav minor league: Old Toledo
Fav college: Miss St.
Least fav college: Kentucky
Fav anywhere: Rosenblatt.

I keep thinking of new ones and adding them.Dabvu: I am just curious how long it has been since you have seen a game at Cliff Hagan stadium?

Granted it was a dump prior to its renovation in 1990, but most visiting fans give it a pretty good rating lately. The kind reviews are due to its cozy dimensions (2,500 capacity), but asthetically I have seen far worse.

dabvu2498
06-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Dabvu: I am just curious how long it has been since you have seen a game at Cliff Hagan stadium?

Granted it was a dump prior to its renovation in 1990, but most visiting fans give it a pretty good rating lately. The kind reviews are due to its cozy dimensions (2,500 capacity), but asthetically I have seen far worse.
Last year. Part of my reasoing is that no one was ever there when I was. That changed some this year.

Look at the rest of the college parks I've been to and you may understand why I ranked it last.

Blimpie
06-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Last year. Part of my reasoing is that no one was ever there when I was. That changed some this year.

Look at the rest of the college parks I've been to and you may understand why I ranked it last.I just thought you might have visited it in its shabbier-looking days. Yeah, the crowd support at Hagan has been just awful prior to this year. I have been to a few of the other SEC parks as well (Gainesville, Athens, Knoxville) and they are cathedrals compared to Lexington.

redsfanfalcon
06-27-2006, 10:36 AM
I've been to Wrigley, Fenway, PNC, Comerica, Jacobs, and of course GABP and Cinergy/Riverfront. Fenway has a certain aura about it, but I like Jacobs of the newer parks. This reminds me of a story...when visiting PNC in Pittsburgh, a fan said to me, "Have you been to the restrooms yet? They have TV's in there." I said, "Really." He said, "Yeah, that's why they call it P-N-C Park."

FeartheEars
06-27-2006, 11:30 AM
I have only seen games in a few.
Busch II, Riverfront, GABP, Safeco, and Angels Stadium.
Anaheim is really nice. I saw the WBC game against Korea in which Jr. went yard and that was about the only offense they had that night. The waterfalls are neat and the overall feel to the stadium is pretty cool. Safeco is amazing. Setting is nice and I love the trains going through the back part of the stadium. Great and unique feature. Ushers were extremely friendly and got to see da meat hook go deep and lead the Tigers to the win.

Other stadiums I have visited.
Wrigley
Miller Park
Kauffman
Dodger Stadium - snuck in during renovations and got some good pics of the place.
Jacobs Field
Tropicana
Turner Field
Camden
Shea Stadium