PDA

View Full Version : SNY has more Reds coverage than FSN-Ohio?

WVRedsFan
06-22-2006, 12:30 AM
One of the great benefits of DirecTV is you can buy a tier with all the local sports channels. I have a habit of watching the next opposing team's "home" on TV before and during when we play them.

This week on SNY-the Mets' home TV channel, there have been no less than 7 interviews with different Reds and each and every night. We've seen Griffey, Dunn, Kearns (twice), Arroyo, Phillips, and Valentin--much more than I've ever seen on FSN-Ohio, the main sports channel I watch during the baseball season. Aside from the pre and post-game shows, you just don't see this. I keep wondering why?

P.S. They were good interviews too with a lot of personal information and players thoughts on the games.

Heath
06-22-2006, 07:24 AM
Home team's tend to interview the road player a little more just to give the viewer a little more information. Keeps viewer informed.

Unassisted
06-22-2006, 10:23 AM
SNY must have a bigger staff and crew than FSN Ohio. Interviews are a logistical challenge and they tie up equipment and personnel before the game. SNY probably just has more of those resources on hand to schedule and tape interviews.

westofyou
06-22-2006, 10:39 AM
The Mets are the main content on their sports network.

The Reds are a 3 hour block of advertising space on a Fox owned station.

KronoRed
06-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Anyone think the Reds could pull off their own network?

Heath
06-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Anyone think the Reds could pull off their own network?

Not with the sweet deal that Fox is giving them, they already have what they need.

And the Indians sure aren't doing a whole lot now on their network except replaying ball games.

Paid Programming with Ronco and Charlton What's His Name's Real Estate Scams isn't a way to fill time.

KronoRed
06-22-2006, 05:38 PM
FSN is giving them a nice deal? I thought the Reds made a very low amount on their tv rights

Unassisted
06-22-2006, 05:58 PM
FSN is giving them a nice deal? I thought the Reds made a very low amount on their tv rightsGood point. I've never heard anyone say that the Reds are cleaning up on their TV deal. I don't think there was even much competition for it the last time it went out for bid.

RBA
06-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Now that the Indians have their own network, the Reds do have more bargaining power. They can threaten to do their own network and Fox Sports would have a major hole in their summer schedule. Of course this is dependent on when their current contract ends and if Fox Sports has any options for future contracts.

Heath
06-22-2006, 09:22 PM
FSN is giving them a nice deal? I thought the Reds made a very low amount on their tv rights

well, in comparison to other clubs, its low - but the additional games, plus additional coverage potentially to the entire FSN Ohio audience (not just the FSN Ohio "Cincinnati" Part can only give the Reds more audience share.

Now, the product on the field needs to produce.

I'm also wondering if they were thinking about a Network and FSN stepped it up a bit and promised more game coverage.

I'd like to see the recissitate the "Friday Night Local Telecasts" again. They did it until about 5 years ago.

IIRC-the current Reds Contract is until 2009 on TV and also I think Marty's contract and the WLW contract ends 2007-but maybe Matt from the Big One might know more.

Redsland
06-23-2006, 04:00 PM
They get $50,000 per game, which translates into $5 million over a 100-game schedule.

Assuming the same per-game rate, the Reds would get $7.25 million for next year's 145-game schedule.