PDA

View Full Version : English Bulldog vs. Samsung 50" DLP HDTV

beb30
06-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Ok I just graduated (I'm 23) and I'm thinking about buying an English Bulldog or possibly a Samsung 50" DLP HDTV. Does anyone have an english bulldog? Is it easy to take care of? Would most of you just reccommend the TV?

westofyou
06-22-2006, 11:29 AM
British Bulldogs

http://www.wrestlingtradingcards.com/images/1988_wwf_quaker_dipps_images/1988_wwf_quaker_dipps_18.jpg

Redsland
06-22-2006, 12:33 PM
You could get a 42" TV and a mutt.

Just thinking out loud, here.

:)

beb30
06-22-2006, 01:00 PM
You could get a 42" TV and a mutt.

Just thinking out loud, here.

:)

lol hmmmm thinking.....

Red Heeler
06-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Ok I just graduated (I'm 23) and I'm thinking about buying an English Bulldog or possibly a Samsung 50" DLP HDTV. Does anyone have an english bulldog? Is it easy to take care of? Would most of you just reccommend the TV?

Nice enough dogs, but they have lots of problems. All of them have breathing problems. Many have hips so poor that they require reconstructive surgery before 1 year old. Skin problems are a big concern as well. In reality, they are a very expensive novelty item.

My advice is to go to the local shelter and pick out something you like. You will have a good companion and plenty of money left over for a nice TV.

Yachtzee
06-22-2006, 01:56 PM
Nice enough dogs, but they have lots of problems. All of them have breathing problems. Many have hips so poor that they require reconstructive surgery before 1 year old. Skin problems are a big concern as well. In reality, they are a very expensive novelty item.

My advice is to go to the local shelter and pick out something you like. You will have a good companion and plenty of money left over for a nice TV.

Red Heeler knows his animals. Shelter dogs can be extemely loving animals. I got my shelter dog at 3 months. She's going on 10 now and still greets me when I get home as she did when she was a puppy. Lots of love there.

If I were to get a purebred, I would do so because it has certain traits that work well with my lifestyle. For example, if you have allergies, some purebreds won't affect you as much as other breeds or mixes. Also, you don't want a husky if you live in a small apartment and don't have time to take it for long walks. I would look into the traits of the English Bulldog and the potential health problems to make sure it was a dog I could handle and afford to take care of before making that decision.

beb30
06-22-2006, 02:08 PM
The thought behind an English Bulldog was that I live in a house with friends in Clifton, without a yard and since they are a house dog it would make sense. I've heard they do have some health concerns and would require alot of attention and care taking.

If they do have all these issues why are they so expensive?

GIK
06-22-2006, 02:34 PM
I love my dog (Chocolate Lab) and wouldn't give him up, but realize that dogs in general need attention (mine probably more so than others, LOL). It really depends on if you have the time, energy and patience for one. Good luck!

beb30
06-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Well I have a full-time job working 8-5 and I typically go out like friday or saturday nights (parties/bars) so i would think that would still be enough time

GIK
06-22-2006, 02:44 PM
I don't know, beb.

I also work a "normal" 9-5 job, but I go home practically every day for lunch and spend an hour with him. You also need to make sure you hang out with him after work and before your nights out or he'll get bored/depressed and start destroying your house.

Dogs are not cats. They need a lot of 1 on 1 attention.

dabvu2498
06-22-2006, 03:00 PM
I had a terrier mix who had separation anxiety so bad that he broke off all his teeth trying to get out of his crate. Now, that said, he was THE BEST!

I currently have 2 rescued dogs that are great. I was going to make a specific post about that sometime here soon as they are retired racing greyhounds and the group that I adopted from is about to have 50 more dogs to ship out soon.

www.teamgreyhound.com

beb - These dogs are low maintenance house dogs if you're interested and a heck of a lot cheaper than a bulldog.

Red Heeler
06-22-2006, 03:19 PM
The thought behind an English Bulldog was that I live in a house with friends in Clifton, without a yard and since they are a house dog it would make sense. I've heard they do have some health concerns and would require alot of attention and care taking.

If they do have all these issues why are they so expensive?

Bulldogs are expensive because there is a high demand (due to the novelty factor) and low supply. Litters are generally very small, and most pups must be born by C-section due to the heads being too large to pass through the female tract.

Honestly, for a person with limited time and space, you are better off with a cat. They are much lower maintainence pets.

RFS62
06-22-2006, 03:23 PM
I've got a friend with an English Bulldog. He's already spent about 2 grand in vet bills, including the operation on the hip.

westofyou
06-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Honestly, for a person with limited time and space, you are better off with a cat. They are much lower maintainence pets.

And they rock.

beb30
06-22-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm a dog person myself......

I've got a friend with an English Bulldog. He's already spent about 2 grand in vet bills, including the operation on the hip.

Thats something that would def scare me away.....how long has he had this dog?

RFS62
06-22-2006, 03:34 PM
One year

dabvu2498
06-22-2006, 03:37 PM
And they rock.
But they don't look cool on a leash in the park.

westofyou
06-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Not one bit.

RFS62
06-22-2006, 03:45 PM
The right dog is also a chick magnet.

Just sayin'

:pimp:

dabvu2498
06-22-2006, 03:48 PM
The right dog is also a chick magnet.

Just sayin'

:pimp:
You're right. When my wife met my dogs, I just became a passenger in the relationship.:D

Red Leader
06-22-2006, 03:49 PM
beb.

Funny enough, when I was in college I was in the same boat you are in now. I wanted to get a dog, and I wanted to get a bulldog. I got some books at the school library and went to a bulldog breeder and talked to them. I found out what everyone in here has told you in about 12 posts - they are really expensive to take care of. I didn't end up getting the dog because of the costs involved. I spent that money on a wide screen TV.

As far as house dogs go, I think one of the better breeds for that are Boston Terriers. They are sooo cool. They kind of look like miniature bulldogs, but they are funny, funny dogs. My roommate in college had one and his name was Dudley. One of the best dogs I've ever known. Loyal, happy go lucky, funny, loving, and he had no problems sitting around all day waiting for us to come home. You might want to look into those and do a little more research on them if you're interested. I would advise talking to a breeder about the breed as well. They know a lot about the dogs and are a good resource.

Red Leader
06-22-2006, 03:54 PM
http://www.petcremationnevada.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/1706.jpg

Chicks would dig the Boston Terrier as well. I know my roommate got a lot of attention when he walked him around campus. It's not some huge dog (lab, rottweiler, boxer) that some girls would be afraid of. Girls will think you're secure in your manhood if you're walking one of these little guys around.

RFS62
06-22-2006, 03:55 PM
You want a chick magnet, an automatic conversation starter, and one of the coolest little dogs you'll ever see, try this.....

http://www.cyber-corgi.com/images/andy.jenny.jpg

Red Leader
06-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Those dogs look like 1/2 dachshund, 1/2 Puffy. :laugh:

dabvu2498
06-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Welsh Corgi!!!

Pugs are cool as well.

Aren't English Springer Spaniels supposed to be the smartest (if you can measure such things) breed?

Redsland
06-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Smartest? Nah, they get picked off base too much.

;)

dabvu2498
06-22-2006, 04:14 PM
But they have very high fielding percentages!

Red Leader
06-22-2006, 04:17 PM
But they have very high fielding percentages!

..and a good walk rate. :beerme:

Outshined_One
06-22-2006, 04:21 PM
As cool as they are, I never was a fan of purebred dogs. The sheer amount of inbreeding and overbreedings with a number of lines have caused so many genetic problems that these dogs just become too sick and expensive for some people to properly care for. Mutts, on the other hand, tend to have less problems and are much cheaper. Plus, they give the same amount of love! :D

Also, I've noticed that dachshund mixes tend to get the most attention from women. I have no idea why, but those dogs do almost as good of a job as adorable children when it comes to getting the, "AWWWW!!!!!" response from women.

beb30
06-22-2006, 04:41 PM
I guess i could always get one when Im older and have the money to spend on a breed such as an English Bulldog

Other Breeds Id be interested in/like are:
Bullmastiff
Newfoundland (parents own 1)
American Bulldog

Red Leader
06-22-2006, 04:43 PM
I guess i could always get one when Im older and have the money to spend on a breed such as an English Bulldog

Other Breeds Id be interested in/like are:
Bullmastiff
Newfoundland (parents own 1)
American Bulldog

You have to have a real big yard and be able to spend the time to walk those first two breeds. Definately not "college" dogs.

American bulldogs are almost as expensive as English Bulldogs, I believe. A lot healthier, though, although some are prone to hip dysplasia. You might be able to get away with one as a house dog, but it would need to be exercised daily.

dabvu2498
06-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Best dogs I've ever owned are mixed breeds and greyhounds. Mixed breeds tend to be intelligent and healthy. Greyhounds get a bad rap for being hyperactive. That is far from true. They are completely lazy and would gain weight and be unhealthy if you let them gain too much weight.

ochre
06-22-2006, 04:58 PM
You're right. When my wife met my dogs, I just became a passenger in the relationship.:D
I think that's illegal in some states.

dabvu2498
06-22-2006, 05:01 PM
I think that's illegal in some states.
They sleep in the bed more than I do!

dabvu2498
06-22-2006, 05:03 PM
beb--One other thing to think about. Maybe trying a non-puppy for your first dog. All puppys are cute, but when you're confronted with 70+ pounds of adult dog, it makes for a very clear reality check.

beb30
06-22-2006, 05:04 PM
"Unfortunately" I may have to go with the Big TV, afterall it may be kind of nice playing xbox 360 on HD :D

GIK
06-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Probably the best choice right now, but there is always time for a pup later. Don't let anyone talk you out of a pure breed, though. As long as you locate a reputable breeder, they are just fine - and great dogs.

Yachtzee
06-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Welsh Corgi!!!

Pugs are cool as well.

Aren't English Springer Spaniels supposed to be the smartest (if you can measure such things) breed?

Border Collies are highly intelligent...almost too smart. I have a border collie mix who was very interesting to train. She picks things up fast, but if you don't keep up on the training, she will quickly figure out whether she actually has to listen to you or not. When we were training her to stay and come on command, the first step was to get her to come for a treat. Then next step involved the use a long lead with a pinch collar. You tell the dog to stay, walk to the end of the lead, drop it, turn your back to the dog and say "come" (so she comes on the sound of your voice, not gestures). If the dog doesn't come in 5 seconds, turn around grab the lead and give it a tug to give the dog a pinch. The last step is to get the dog to come without a lead attached at all. There are a few more intermediate steps I've skipped, but I'm sure everyone gets the picture. Sure enough, our dog learned the first two steps rather quickly. Then, when it came time for the off-lead work, I would say "come" and she would look at me. Then she'd look at the ground to find her lead. If she didn't have a lead, she would bolt. We finally had to use tricks like hiding the lead under leaves or rugs so that she would think it was off and have someone else hold the lead for the correction. Eventually she gave up and started obeying the command, but it took a long time because she kept figuring out whether she "had" to obey or not.

They're also great athletes. Good for agility training and great as "frisbee dogs." However, they can be high maintenance if you have a small apartment.

Labs are easy to train and great companions, but they can get fat if you feed them too much or don't exercise them enough. They'll eat and eat and eat if you let them.

Unassisted
06-22-2006, 06:24 PM
My grandparents had 4 English bulldogs during their lifetime. I was around for 2 of them. I'm not really a dog person, but these dogs were chock full of characteristics that I thought were especially unappealing.

- Shedding in abundance
- Stubborn and strong
- Not particularly smart or trainable, which isn't a good combo with the previous bullet point.
- Big producers of slobber and drool
- Their male dog had some kind of vestigial glands that needed to be evacuated by the vet every three months, with a gloved finger in the end with the tail. :eek:
- Thanks to the gland thing, the shedding and the drooling, bulldogs are smelly creatures.
- Loud snorers... it was never a mystery when the bulldog was asleep!

I'm not a fan of the breed or big dogs in general, but my grandparents loved them. I guess they were fortunate that their dogs never needed the dysplasia surgery. The only upside I could see is that the bulldogs had a fairly good disposition and they definitely attracted attention. There's not much about them that I find appealing.

OTOH, I dig HDTV. :D

vaticanplum
06-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Attached you will find a picture of Picotte. I love her to pieces, but she is not without her troubles.

Good points about English bulldogs: they're great dogs. Incredibly loyal, sweet dogs; you're unlikely to have aggression problems with them and they'er good with all people and other dogs. I used to work with dogs and there were several bulldogs among them, they never, ever snapped at anyone. In general they're just very good-tempered, and usually downright sweet and loving. They're smart as heck, some of the smartest dogs around, easily trainable and generally housebreak pretty well. They're strong, rough-and-tumble dogs, which makes them fun. Picotte happens to be an unusually active bulldog (we'll get to that), so she's terrific fun. She runs me ragged at the park (in a good way), she has a great time with other dogs, and is just an all-around good, happy dog. If you can find an active bulldog, go for it. They're rare and wonderful.

bad points: the image is true: they're extremely stubborn. They also tend toward laziness, which is why they're a good dog for older people. On the other hand, they can't be allowed to be too lazy or they'll get horribly fat, and in that sense a 23-year-old could be a good owner if you're willing to make sure the dog gets excercise. But couple this with the strength and the stubborness, and it can be difficult. I've dealt with bulldogs who can literally almost pull me over if I try to get them to walk and they just want to stay still. Again, they're never aggressive about it, just stubborn.

but this is all doable if you put the effort into it. The real problems with bulldogs, as a lot of people have stated, has to do with their health. A reputable breeder can help with this. But inherently they run higher risks than a lot of other dogs because of the way they've been bread and built. Their nasal passages are very short and smushed, so they have a lot of breathing problems (the drool thing is true too, but that actually can depend on the dog -- Picotte is drooly only when she runs around -- and the drool thing, let's face it, is true for a lot of dogs and some cats too). And the testicle problem is true too. I have a friend whose bulldog's testicles actually exploded. Twice. this, of course, can be alleviated by getting a female, like Picotte.

Honestly, if you are 23, I might hold off, even for just a couple of years. A dog is a huge commitment and this dog in particular can surprise you with health problems that can cost a fortune (pet insurance is wonderful and I wouldn't go without it, but it doesn't cover everything). Housebreaking and training in general, to be done right, requires several months of constant care, going out on a good schedule such as every three hours EVEN THROUGH THE NIGHT. If it's done well, it shouldn't take that long, but even a few weeks can be wearing. If you're ready, go for it, but MAKE SURE you are ready. That's a huge investment to go wrong.

My personal opinon? If you must get a dog, rescue a mutt from the pound. My heart bleeds -- well, for everything, but especially for animals, and there are thousands of dogs that need homes. Purebred dogs in general have more health problems because they are inbred. You get a mutt from a pound, and if you know his history, you are likely to get a smart, healthy dog for a lot less money who really needs a home. www.petfinder.org is a great resource, and you can even search by breed. If you decide you really want a bulldog, there is a bulldog rescue too, www.rescuebulldog.org. I would always get a dog from the pound first. Picotte was a gift, though, and like an accidental baby, I wouldn't trade her for anything, she is the best dog in the world, so take from all that what you will.

beb30
06-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks Vaticanplum for all the info, I really appreciate it, after reading up on them and getting information from these posts, It def seems better to maybe hold off till I'm a little older.....

NoCalRed
06-22-2006, 09:52 PM
beb.

Funny enough, when I was in college I was in the same boat you are in now. I wanted to get a dog, and I wanted to get a bulldog. I got some books at the school library and went to a bulldog breeder and talked to them. I found out what everyone in here has told you in about 12 posts - they are really expensive to take care of. I didn't end up getting the dog because of the costs involved. I spent that money on a wide screen TV.

As far as house dogs go, I think one of the better breeds for that are Boston Terriers. They are sooo cool. They kind of look like miniature bulldogs, but they are funny, funny dogs. My roommate in college had one and his name was Dudley. One of the best dogs I've ever known. Loyal, happy go lucky, funny, loving, and he had no problems sitting around all day waiting for us to come home. You might want to look into those and do a little more research on them if you're interested. I would advise talking to a breeder about the breed as well. They know a lot about the dogs and are a good resource.

I have to second this opinion on boston terriers. I currently have two dogs both of which I have adopted from the humane society and one of them is a pure breed boston terrier. He is a smart, lovable, caring, hard headed, cute, little guy. Can not say enough good things about him, he is extremely intelligent and easy to train. One thing about them though that I discovered and have heard from other owners of bostons is that they have bad gas and snore really loud. They are great house dogs and good companions.

Johnny Footstool
06-23-2006, 01:49 PM

There's a guy in my neighborhood who owns a cat and a dog. He walks the dog on a leash. The cat trots along beside him with no leash, as if he and the guy are out walking their poor, stupid dog.

Rojo
06-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Here's me ranking of pets:

1. Cats
2. Big Dogs
3. Every other kind of pet
4. Small Dogs

dabvu2498
06-23-2006, 02:37 PM
There's a guy in my neighborhood who owns a cat and a dog. He walks the dog on a leash. The cat trots along beside him with no leash, as if he and the guy are out walking their poor, stupid dog.
I'd never had a dog that I hadn't been able to "untrain" from a leash until I got a greyhound. They're "sight hunters" and are prone to take off after anything that moves. At 35+ MPH, they're gone. I've never lost one, but had a couple get quite misplaced.

RFS62
06-23-2006, 02:52 PM

That's exactly what my wife does when she walks our dog. The two cats go along for the walk.

RANDY IN INDY
06-23-2006, 03:15 PM
If you're looking for companionship, you can't go wrong with a golden retriever. My dog, Jack, is without a doubt, my most loyal and best friend. He also gets his share of looks. Beautiful animal.

Red Heeler
06-23-2006, 08:27 PM
If you're looking for companionship, you can't go wrong with a golden retriever. My dog, Jack, is without a doubt, my most loyal and best friend. He also gets his share of looks. Beautiful animal.

Best family dog on the planet for my money! :thumbup:

Goldies are very high energy, though, so probably not a good choice for beb.

Randy, Goldies are very prone to lymphosarcoma. As Jack gets older, you will want to take him to get check ups probably every 6 months. If you notice any odd lumps or bumps, get them checked out immediately. Lymphosarcoma responds well to treatment if caught early.

RFS62
06-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Best dog I ever had was a Golden. He died of pnuemonia when I was about 14. That was tough.

Red Heeler
06-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Of course, I have to give a shout out to my namesake (and personal favorite breed), the heeler. Unfortunately, Wyatt, the dog who inspired my screen name, died of congestive heart failure last year. Not a dog for everybody as they are tempermental, snappy little beasts. However, they are loyal, protective, and tough as nails, too. They really do best as farm dogs.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/jtchernoff/Sunny_bonzai.jpg

westofyou
06-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Of course, I have to give a shout out to my namesake (and personal favorite breed), the heeler. Unfortunately, Wyatt, the dog who inspired my screen name, died of congestive heart failure last year. Not a dog for everybody as they are tempermental, snappy little beasts. However, they are loyal, protective, and tough as nails, too. They really do best as farm dogs.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/jtchernoff/Sunny_bonzai.jpg
My friend had one, he was prehistoric... his name was Darwin, and lived on a ranch.

beb30
06-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Well just to post an update, I got sucked into buying a Bulldog, I couldnt help it. I really have wanted one for awhile and after careful thought I decided this was the best time to get one seeing that I had the money and people to help take care of it. I hope I made a good decision below I've attached a couple pictures of him.

RFS62
06-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Good luck. It's a big committment to own a dog.

:beerme:

vaticanplum
06-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Oh my Lord, he is adorable. Does he have a name yet? Has he bitten through your hand yet? ;)

Good luck!

beb30
06-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys, yes it was hard to pick out a name b/c I liked a couple including Winston, Tank, and Whitey (which was breeders original nickname for it) but the one i stuck with was Dozer.

westofyou
06-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys, yes it was hard to pick out a name b/c I liked a couple including Winston, Tank, and Whitey (which was breeders original nickname for it) but the one i stuck with was Dozer.
I dated a girl whose boxer was named Winston, same face.

GIK
06-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Congrats, beb! Hard plastic toys are all I can really give my lab...watch him like a hawk because I'm sure he'll put anything into his mouth and start chewing!

dabvu2498
06-26-2006, 12:46 PM
I dated a girl whose boxer was named Winston, same face.
Who???? The girl or the dawg??? :D

All bulldawgs should be named UGA.

beb30
06-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Congrats, beb! Hard plastic toys are all I can really give my lab...watch him like a hawk because I'm sure he'll put anything into his mouth and start chewing!

That he does including some of the metal polls and fences outside, kind of crazy