PDA

View Full Version : Who do you DH this weekend?

reds44
06-22-2006, 06:38 PM
So we play in Cleveland this weekend, meaning we will be able to utilize the DH. Who do you put there?

KronoRed
06-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Freel is hot right now, play him and DH Dunn or JR

Falls City Beer
06-22-2006, 06:50 PM
I can't play the field, but I can certainly throw the bat at a pitched ball.

Redhook
06-22-2006, 06:54 PM
This is a tough call. Likely, Griffey and Dunn will DH a game each and someone else, EDDY, in another game. However, I think Dunn should be DH'ing because he's one of the worst, if not the worst, outfielders in the game. Yes, Griffey is injury prone, but he's a much better defender than Dunn. Wouldn't this be a great time to try Freel in center with Griffey in left while Dunn DH's? I think so.

Another option would be to DH Lopez trying Phillips out at SS. Aurilia or Freel could fill in at 2B. I think everyone would like to get a taste of Phillips at SS. Very unlikely, but maybe try it out a game. I do believe Phillips would make a better SS than Lopez, but I'm not completely sold on it. How would Phillips semi-sidearm action work throwing from SS to 1B? I'm not convinced it'd be great because it resembles Eddy's action a little bit. It's not the most accurate way of throwing the ball. All that being said, I would like to see Phillips get the nod at SS once this weekend.

CTA513
06-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Griffey and Dunn will probably each DH 1 game.
I wouldnt be surprised if Lopez is the DH on one of the games so that Castro or Aurilia can play shortstop.

pedro
06-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Griffey and Dunn will probably each DH 1 game.
I wouldnt be surprised if Lopez is the DH on one of the games so that Castro or Aurilia can play shortstop.

quite possibly castro as SS but not aurilia.

reds44
06-22-2006, 07:06 PM
I'd bring EE back and let him DH. If he is going to rehab in Louisville anyway, just bring him back and ease him in by DHing him.

schroomytunes
06-22-2006, 07:10 PM
I say get the best players you have on the field, at the same time giving guys a rest where needed.

game 1: lf-dunn cf-freel rf-kearns dh-griffey
game 2: lf-freel cf-griffey rf-kearnsdh-dunn
game 3: lf-dunn cf-freel- rf-kearns dh-griffey

by getting freel in the lineup it improves our team defense,speed and allows us to give griffey and dunn some rest from the outfield grind. I then go with the normal infield, except I give Aurilia and a catcher not named Ross one start.

Gallen5862
06-22-2006, 07:15 PM
I voted for Junior to dh.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060622&content_id=1517956&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin
Junior rests: Center fielder Ken Griffey Jr. was out of Thursday's lineup against the Mets. Part of the reason was Griffey's history against starter Pedro Martinez (1-for-14, six strikeouts). But mostly it was because this was a day game after a night game.

Reds manager Jerry Narron let Griffey pick which game of this series he would take off.

"I could have told you what day he was going to pick," Narron said. "It has nothing to do with who's pitching, I can tell you that. If Sandy Koufax was pitching last night and somebody else today, he would have taken the day game off."

Narron then pondered the dream encounter -- Junior vs. Koufax?

"That would have been a pretty good matchup," Narron said.

Ryan Freel, who played third base the previous three games, moved to center field in place of Griffey, and Juan Castro started at third.

This weekend against Cleveland, Narron planned to use Griffey as the designated hitter in one or two games.

Highlifeman21
06-22-2006, 07:20 PM
This is a tough call. Likely, Griffey and Dunn will DH a game each and someone else, EDDY, in another game. However, I think Dunn should be DH'ing because he's one of the worst, if not the worst, outfielders in the game. Yes, Griffey is injury prone, but he's a much better defender than Dunn. Wouldn't this be a great time to try Freel in center with Griffey in left while Dunn DH's? I think so.

Another option would be to DH Lopez trying Phillips out at SS. Aurilia or Freel could fill in at 2B. I think everyone would like to get a taste of Phillips at SS. Very unlikely, but maybe try it out a game. I do believe Phillips would make a better SS than Lopez, but I'm not completely sold on it. How would Phillips semi-sidearm action work throwing from SS to 1B? I'm not convinced it'd be great because it resembles Eddy's action a little bit. It's not the most accurate way of throwing the ball. All that being said, I would like to see Phillips get the nod at SS once this weekend.

Now you're thinkin.

Too bad that means Aurillia would probably be the most likely candidate to play 2B if Phillips plays SS.

Redhook
06-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Now you're thinkin.

Too bad that means Aurillia would probably be the most likely candidate to play 2B if Phillips plays SS.

Not necessarily. Freel is pretty hot despite the game today. And with EE on the DL there's plenty of room to get both Freel and Aurilia both in the lineup. Plus, Aurilia still might not be 100% for the weekend. I see Freel playing all 3 games at 3 different positions.

jesusfan
06-22-2006, 08:33 PM
what do you guys think the line-up will be??? I would like to see this one.. We should be able to score plenty of runs for Harang, Arroyo, and Ramirez with that one!

1. Freel -CF
2. Lopez -SS
3. Griffey-DH
4. Kearns-RF
5. Dunn -LF
6. Hatteberg-1st
7. Phillips-2nd
8. Ross -C
9. Aurilia -3rd

gitrdunn44
06-22-2006, 09:38 PM
DH Castro:D

Heath
06-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Bring up Denorfia after a DFA of Hammond. Start him in 3 straight.

Just an idea. And a far-fetched one at that.

KronoRed
06-22-2006, 10:27 PM
DH Castro:D
Don't be surprised when it happens

harangatang
06-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Put Arroyo in as DH.

THNDRacket
06-22-2006, 10:55 PM
I hope they don't DH Castro, but it wouldn't surprise me. What I expect you will see is Castro starting all three games at 3B or SS with Aurilia not quite 100%. Frankly, I'd rather see Olmedo playing 3B. He was tearing the cover off the ball coming off the bench while he was here.

I don't know why they are saving Olmedo and Denorfia for a rainy day. They will never start for the Reds, and they are the only bait the Reds have for bullpen help.

Dunner44
06-22-2006, 11:38 PM
I said Ross for no other reason than he has done amazing in PH situations so far this year. He walked on weds. vs. the mets, and before that was something like 8-10 in pinch hit ABs with 4 walks or so. If someone wanted to get actual numbers, that'd be great. So he hits even better when he doesn't have to catch! (Barrett complained about that all the time).

However, that only puts LaRue or Javy in the game, and doesn't give a bat to Freel unless he plays 3B.

But I still love Ross as a PHer. I love the Ross deal, have since I first saw him play.